Start by marking “Edgewise” as Want to Read:
Edgewise

Edgewise

A woman unleashes an invisible Native American spirit (the Wendigo) to help her find her children, but then the unstoppable demon begins to haunt her!
Published May 1st 2007 by Leisure Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Edgewise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edgewise

Janie Johnson
Dec 23, 2015 Janie Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I read this book as a read along with several people and this is now my third time reading it. I come to the same conclusion, Graham Masterton is an amazing writer. Even after reading it for a third time I do not find it boring or repetitive.

In this book Lily's children are taken from her by a group called FLAME which stands for Father's League Against Mother's Evil. She does not feel like the FBI are doing enough for her to get her children back and she turns to George Iron Walker who claims he
Susan
Can you imagine knowing something is there but you cannot see it? Well that is a creep factor in this good thriller by Graham Masterton. This was a buddy read and it was fun to talk with others about the main character.

When Lily, a single Mother's children are kidnapped, she makes some very rash decisions and promises. In turn she is lead into a world that is beyond her understanding and is noway prepared for. At one point Lily is driven to take drastic measures, which throw her and everyone wh
Matt Garcia
Apr 10, 2015 Matt Garcia rated it it was amazing
Great, fast-paced and gripping horror story with some fascinating Native American folklore. Masterton manages to mix the horror and thriller genres effortlessly. It is refreshing to see a Native American legend such as the Wendigo given some mainstream attention and Masterton does not disappoint. I felt a connection to the Native American characters and could empathize with their position. Edgewise is a definite page-turner that provides thrills and some chills. An entertaining thrill ride.
Mary Beth
Oct 21, 2015 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Great scary Halloween buddy read. Loved this book!
Kasia
Mar 31, 2010 Kasia rated it it was amazing
Graham is my favorite writer. He is the one whose books I have discovered in my father's library during my teenage years and whose imaginative writing has started my insatiable taste for horror books. No one writes like Masterton and his use of folklore and different legends, spirits and creatures mixed with the world of humans always comes out with shockingly dark results that somehow seem possible. Some of my favorite books by the author are the earlier ones, I still have a very distinctive me ...more
Bandit
Feb 11, 2011 Bandit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masteron returns to Native American Lore with his (unique as always) take on Wendigo. This book was a very fast, very enjoyable read, I loved every bit of it, especially all that had to do with the actual Wendigo and native american history. The main character and her occasional bouts of irrationality were the only detractions, but so very minor, plus the character does redeem herself (to me at least) as the book progresses.
I love Graham Masterton's work, always have, he can really do no wrong,
Ruby Ridge
Dec 14, 2016 Ruby Ridge rated it it was amazing
Graham Masterton is one of the finest ever horror writers surpassed only by early King and certainly better than most of his overrated peers (You know who they are) Masterton always delivers and should be rated higher than he is. In this story he returns to one of his favorite themes - Indian legends
Recommend this and all his books
Ashley Brown
Aug 19, 2013 Ashley Brown rated it it was ok
This was okay, for the first half I was really hooked and enjoying it. Particularly the whole descriptions of the Wendingo, Masterton really outdid himself whenever he tried to describe it - some great, macabre imagery.

Real estate saleswoman Lily is awoken one night by some intruders who steal her children and try to kill her - after being sent by her bitter ex-husband. She gets mixed up with a PI who is of native American descent and he puts her in touch with a couple of native Americans who se
Juliet
Sep 28, 2014 Juliet rated it it was amazing
Lily is asleep when a noise coming from downstairs awakens her there is someone in the house. When she goes downstairs she finds two men dressed in black and wearing masks waiting for her. They say she is a witch because she didn't treat her ex-husband Jeff right. They set her on fire and take her two children away but Lily is able to break free of the bonds and escape with only some burns. She is told by an FBI agent that she is not the only woman that this happened to and FLAME (Father's Leagu ...more
Barbra
May 17, 2010 Barbra rated it liked it
Graham Masterton is a master of his genre - he gives you chills or horror, great dialogue and a great story everytime.

Back Cover Blurb:
Lily Blake's first mistake was getting involved with dangerous forces she didn't understand. But she was desperate. Her children had been taken. The police were no help. And George Iron Walker claimed he could summon the Wendigo, a Native American spirit that can hunt anyone....anywhere....forever. She didn't think he could really do it.
But the man who took Lily'
Lindsay
Jul 07, 2015 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Anna
Mar 30, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
A pretty quick read, absorbing, and well-written. But not scary enough for a 'horror', it didn't really affect me. Also, the plot was a bit predictable AND the main character was incredibly annoying. I'm aware it's probably just my impression but it seemed so unreal that every single male character in the book was friggin' attracted to/in love with/needed to protect Mrs. Blake and literally sacrificed their life for her. Personally, I didn't quite understand it, maybe because I didn't find Lily ...more
Robb Bridson
Sep 14, 2014 Robb Bridson rated it really liked it
A weird and suspenseful tale, drawing on Native American folklore (not sure how much is authentic and how much made up by the author). The Wendigo is a nifty monster, existing in two dimensions, impossible to see edgewise.

The weakness in the book unfortunately is that the human characters are only one-dimensional and some of the dialogue is painfully bad. They also seem to adjust to supernatural crap way too easily.

Bit while the protagonist is hunted down by the forest spirit, you can forget the
Amy
Jul 25, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
This would have been ok for a first novel, but for someone who's been publishing books since I was one year old it was a disappointment. The plot revolves around a woman's whose ex-husband sends two masked men kidnap his children. The FBI can't find the children so she has the Wendigo summoned, then blames everyone else when bad things happen to her because she promised a payment she couldn't fulfill.

The best thing about this book is that it reads very fast, so it's over soon.

Daniel
Apr 17, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
This is the second Masterton book I've read, and I enjoyed both. He's good at setting up a situation, introducing something weird and dangerous, and bringing the two together without delay. Some of his ideas can be bizarre, as in "Night Warriors". Here, he draws from Native American mythology and comes up with a murderous monster. The scenes of carnage are excellent and exciting. The ending did feel like a stretch, and dashed my hopes that Masterton was going to kill everyone off in favor of an ...more
Di
Nov 13, 2015 Di rated it really liked it
This was my first Graham Masterton novel and I really enjoyed it! The story was very fluid and easy to read. I really like how it ended as well. I did not agree with how Lily went about things at times, but I can understand her reasoning behind it.

All in all, a great read and I am looking forward to reading other books by this author in the future.
Michael Myett
Apr 13, 2012 Michael Myett rated it really liked it
Graham Masterson continues to exploit folklore and mythology from different cultures to create interesting non-traditional horror. In this case native american spirits. Good story, interesting characters and a very quick read.

I have never not been entertained by one of his novels. I would recommend this story to any horror or thriller fan.
Nora Peevy
Oct 27, 2013 Nora Peevy rated it liked it
This book didn't deliver the punch I've come to expect from Graham Masterton. It started out promising, but soon the believability of the sequence of events outweighed the story. There are a few macabre scenes that shone, but not enough to make this more than an average read for me. I expected more.
Lily Lamb
Jul 21, 2016 Lily Lamb rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS
I love Graham Masterton's stories and this one did not let me down either. The end felt a little flat for me...somehow too sudden but saying that, I shall reread this story sometime. It was imaginative, spooky, scary and just took me out of reality...I was literally thrown into Mr Masterton's ruthless lore world. I think he is one of the best paranormal horror writers of our time.
Lavell
Oct 11, 2013 Lavell rated it liked it
I liked the idea of the story, but found the wife too naive and too forgiving in what happened to her. It moved along well. The ending is where I had trouble enjoying. It had potential for a slightly better ending but ended the way it did. It was just okay for me.
DJMikeG
Aug 23, 2016 DJMikeG rated it liked it
A fun, fast moving supernatural thriller. Not the best thing I've read by Masterton, but a good time, none the less. What Masterton has over many other horror writers is this: his stuff is fun to read. It may not be perfect, but its a good time, and it keeps you turning the pages.
Michala
Jan 04, 2013 Michala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it s been a few years since i read this book but it is an absolute must read the book is amazing and the you get sucked int the world its one that i def need to re read the only shame is i have never seen it as an ebook

re read this still awesome one of my fave stories
Deanna
Dec 02, 2007 Deanna rated it it was ok
A fairly quick and easy read, though I honestly didn't find the story all that interesting. I didn't really care what was going to happen next... I pretty much guessed what was gonna happen anyways.
Liam
Jul 25, 2015 Liam rated it it was ok
I found the book disappointing, and lacking a character whom I liked. The protagonist makes emotional irrational choices, bringing death to family and friends.
Brian
Jul 15, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
This book is a fast, entertaining read. Masterton could have done with a better copy editor, but overall, I thought this was quite good.
H3yd00
Jan 14, 2008 H3yd00 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
Graham Masterton is one of my favorite authors, and I really enjoyed this book. Not what I was expecting, but a very good read.
Kalina ユリカ
Jun 08, 2015 Kalina ユリカ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a scary story, made me imagine Wendigo very clearly. I'm sure I'll want to read all Masteron's books.
Plum-crazy
Plum-crazy rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Elin Barnes
Elin Barnes rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2009
Alisa
Alisa rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Bookworm Buddies: Spook Season Read along October 19 - Edgewise 60 27 Nov 16, 2015 07:47AM
Bookworm Buddies: Edgewise - Graham Masterton - DONE 25 16 Nov 08, 2012 03:24PM
Bookworm Buddies: Edgewise - Graham Masterton - Nov 5th-DONE 3 14 Oct 14, 2012 07:53PM
Bookworm Buddies: Edgewise, Graham Masterton 8 15 Sep 29, 2012 09:17AM
  • Night of the Wendigo
  • Wendigo Fever (Warden, #1)
  • Crota: A Novel
  • Blood Magic
  • Dark Companions
  • Scratch (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #7)
  • Allhallow's Eve
  • Through the Gates of the Silver Key
  • The Book of Kane
  • Anita
  • Nowhere Blvd.
Graham Masterton was born in Edinburgh in 1946. His grandfather was Thomas Thorne Baker, the eminent scientist who invented DayGlo and was the first man to transmit news photographs by wireless. After training as a newspaper reporter, Graham went on to edit the new British men's magazine Mayfair, where he encouraged William Burroughs to develop a series of scientific and philosophical articles whi ...more
More about Graham Masterton...