Start by marking “The Hidden (Animorphs, #39)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden (Animorphs, #39)

The Hidden (Animorphs #39)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,160 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The pint-sized Helmacrons left some morph-tracking technology behind, and the Yeerks have found it. As if avoiding a full-scale Animorphs hunt isn't enough, Cassie and the others must keep the morphing cube moving--so it doesn't land in the wrong hands.
Published March 2000 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden

Julie Decker
The Yeerks have repaired some captured Helmacron technology and are now able to track morphing energy, including that which emits from the Escafil device--the morphing cube hidden in Cassie's barn. She has to make a run for it after Erek the Chee informs her, and helicopters armed with the sensor technology chase her as she tries to keep the blue box out of their reach. Erek warns the Animorphs, and they all converge to help her, but Cassie encounters a buffalo in the back of a truck where she's...more
Caitlin
This one was definitely an improvement and I did not hate it! \o/

There was a lot of good stuff about it. I didn't feel frustrated by any of the characterizations.

If I had one qualm it's with Cassie's back-and-forth seemly random sense of morality.

(view spoiler)...more
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
description
Brought to you by The Moonlight Library!

When the Yeerks find the Helmacron ship and learn how to pinpoint the morphing technology to go after the Escafil device/blue box, Cassie and the Animorphs have to play a dangerous game of keep-away.

To put it politely, this is one of the worst Animorphs books, if not the worst book, in the series. And that’s saying a lot because the Helmacrons don’t even show up in this novel, although they are an important plot point. I hate the Helmacrons, but who wouldn...more
Alex
Okay, that buffa-human creature is officially the creepiest thing to come out of this series so far. I loved the idea behind it, though, so I thought this was one of the better later Animorphs books. They are definitely showing a decline in quality as they go on, and it's obvious they're being ghostwritten, but it's not stopping me from enjoying them.
Bonesy
Jul 29, 2011 Bonesy added it
You haven't read a disturbing Animorphs book until you've read this one. The premise is that a buffalo accidentally touches the blue box and acquires the ability to morph. From there, the buffalo acquires Chapman and can quickly learn how to morph by watching Cassie (who has the buffalo's DNA). The thing is, it sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it's surprisingly well-written (keeping in mind that this is a ghost writer, not Applegate). Apparently I hated this particular ghost writer's first book...more
Ashley
Holy cow. Didn't have high expectations for this one since it was a Cassie book, but wow. Can't believe I don't remember reading this one.

While the idea that animals could gain the morphing power so easily seemed far fetched (and acquiring DNA even more so), what really got me were the questions presented. What makes humans human? Is it because we have human DNA? Human minds? Are we always what we were originally? And from that, if it's possible to lose your humanity, whether morally or actually...more
Tanvi
Honestly, Applegrant/ghostwriters, what were you thinking? This book has little to do with the overall story, zero characterisation, and not a skerrick of humour to redeem it. Cassie gets precious little characterisation as it is, so I might've found the ant episode interesting had it not been disturbing as hell. The buffalo morphing into human is equally creepy.

The first Helmacron book wasn't too bad, but it should've stopped there. The Hidden is pure Nightmare Fuel, and a cheap excuse for it a...more
Swankivy
Tiny virus-sized aliens ATTACK! Their megalomaniacal nature is amusing, but it kinda gets tiresome after a while.

Notable moments and inconsistencies:

This book is ghostwritten by Laura Battyanyi-Weiss. Her name's misspelled in the credits page.

It makes no sense that an animal like a buffalo could "accidentally" morph since it's been said many times that both acquiring and morphing take concentration and intent. How could a buffalo do it randomly?
Weathervane
Really, this book should probably be struck out of the canon. The absurdity of animals gaining the ability to morph from merely touching the morphing cube is too much, even for me. Plus, there is no insight into any of the characters, no growth, no interesting conflicts -- nothing. Cassie almost jumps the shark by being hesitant to kill an animal that merely has human DNA in its bloodstream. Yeah. Insane.

Not worth reading.
Jackie Krasuski
I do not know how I ever would have survived junior high without this fantastic science fiction series. Maybe the story quality went down as the book numbers got higher, but the idea that aliens were invading our planet secretly... it was almost good enough for a young teenager to believe.
Koori no hi
As ever this set is full of quick fun reads that are great children's books. I've loved these books when I was a kid and it's amazing how fast you get back into the feel of a story even after you haven't read it for several years.
Tulsi
Mildly interesting idea in an animal obtaining morphing power and morphing a human, but not as interesting as other ideas explored in this series. Questions of humanity emerge.
Lindsey
THESE BOOKS ARE MESSED UP AND THIS ONE IS REALLY MESSED UP WOW, 0/100 WOULD NOT EVER RECOMMEND
DT
What was the ghostwriter on when they wrote this?
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Naomi Moffitt
Naomi Moffitt marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
aiko
aiko marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • Cry of the Cat (Goosebumps Series 2000, #1)
  • The Wicked Cat (Spooksville, #10)
  • The Resisters #1: The Resisters
  • Queen Amidala
  • Baby-Sitters Beware (Baby-Sitters Club Super Mystery, #2)
  • Pursuing Amy (Replica, #2)
Applegate was born in Michigan in 1956. Since then she has lived in Texas, Florida, California, Minnesota, Illinois, North Carolina, and after living in Pelago, Italy for a year, she has moved back to Southern California. She has an eleven year old son named Jake Mates, although she says the Animorph leader is not named after him. In 2003 she and her husband, Michael Grant, her co-author on many p...more
More about Katherine Applegate...
The One and Only Ivan The Invasion (Animorphs, #1) Beach Blondes: June Dreams, July's Promise, August Magic (Summer, #1-3) The Visitor (Animorphs, #2) The Encounter (Animorphs, #3)