Start by marking “Patton, the Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945” as Want to Read:
Patton, the Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945

Patton, the Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  364 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Here is the definitive biography of America's most engaging, most controversial hero, General George S. Patton. Blumenson is also the author of The Patton Papers.
Published November 1st 1985 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Patton, the Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patton, the Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945

Donna
I enjoy reading nonfiction. I don't spend enough time reading it. I liked this book. General Patton earned quite a reputation during WWII. He came back a hero in the eyes of the US. Even though the things he did and said seemed harsh (not to mention controversial) at times, he is what was needed to get the war moving in the right direction. So so so many lives had been lost before he was given substantial command.

I enjoyed the part about his family history, but mostly the part about his career.
Jim Ambrosini
First of all - you can skip the first 4 chapters, which were rather long and boring and dealt with his family history, his time as a youth, etc. Chapter 5 is where it really all begins and discusses his WWI exploits and the post-war years leading up to WWII.

This book really brought to bare some of the idiosyncrasies and events which defined Patton's character. Repeated head trauma from polo injuries, for example, seems may have been the cause for his often violent temper later in life. Also, des
Kislay Verma
Sep 26, 2012 Kislay Verma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excerpts from my review at SolomonSays:

Patton is the definitive chronicle of the man hailed (arguably) as the greatest military commander of the modern age. It is tight paced and captivating. Even when describing the mundane (to some people) matters of family history or the years in between the two great wars, you feel no temptation to skip a few pages. The author makes you eager to know what happened during these less eventful times because you are convinced of its relevance to the upcoming fla
Michael
Nov 05, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book. Relatively short, but it seems to cover his life quite well. I believe I will enjoy two longer, more famous perhaps, biographies of the man that I have, but they are going to take time.

I am one of those who thoroughly enjoyed the movie, Patton. I was pleased to find, after reading this book, that the movie does appear to be quite accurate.
Sammy Duncan
Jan 27, 2016 Sammy Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio
Wonderful biography of General Patton written by Mr. Blumenson who served on the Third Army staff at the end of World War II. This biography covers the entire life of General Patton and deals with the individual but does not go into great detail about campaigns and battles. All-in-all a well written and easy to read book.
Prem Rao
Jan 15, 2013 Prem Rao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Stars for the book about this celebrated 5 star General of the US Army. George S. Patton, Jr became a legend in his times. His was a highly controversial career and he fought in unconventional ways. There's no doubting his immense sense of patriotism which manifested itself in ways which were often not understood by his peers, and I may add, his superiors. there is no doubt that the Germans feared Patton more than any other Allied commander.

Blumenson's account of this remarkable soldier gi
Shiloh Reynolds
Dec 03, 2015 Shiloh Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Shiloh by: Captain darrin haas
Outstanding
Kenneth Burr
Not as detailed to short. But very good as far as the genreal information goes.
Amy Wolf
Feb 14, 2013 Amy Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive biography of a great and complex man. Takes you back through the Patton family's illustrious military history, and Patton's own experiences as a master swordsman in WWI. Follows him through his creation of the first U.S. tank division, and then the historic exploits against Rommel & in Italy in WWII. No wonder the Germans feared him!
Vasu Laeietpiboon
Nov 03, 2010 Vasu Laeietpiboon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book, a very detailed biography about Patton. It's so detailed that the book tells us how Patton thinks and feels. So I would only recommend this book to anybody who is really interested in Patton himself and/or WWII since that's when he got very famous for his talents in commanding his troops.
Mitch
Sep 25, 2013 Mitch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Subject, but I never felt Blumenson was approaching Patton objectively. The insights are almost entirely from Patton's writings and when he disagrees with something Patton says, it comes across like a nephew scoffing at a drunk uncle. Having said that it was a throughly entertaining read.
Steve Coscia
Dec 28, 2009 Steve Coscia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patton was an interesting character. He had to overcome personal, learning challenges (dyslexia) as a child. Eventually, he learned to over achieve in almost everything he did. WWII in Europe might have ended six months sooner if Patton had his way.
Patton is a fascinating man, and I greatly enjoyed this re-telling of his life. However, I did not appreciate the profanity which laced many of the quotations in the book, although I understand the point of including it.
Serge Pierro
This is an interesting biography. Blumenson's coverage is insightful, and gives the reader a window into the thinking of one of the all-time great Generals.
Frank Kelly
Nov 28, 2009 Frank Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, biography
A fascinating study of one of America's greatest soldiers. Quite gripping in parts; you're made to feel Patton's ambition, fears, and triumphs.
Patrick
Concise, informative, workmanlike bio...lacked depth and not riveting, however.
Lawrence
Jun 28, 2012 Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic bio. Loved it, and learned much about the celebrated General.
Dean Akin
Oct 05, 2009 Dean Akin rated it liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Interesting book on Patton's personal life.
Sara Watson
Sep 02, 2008 Sara Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YOU GOTTA LOVE PATTON .. sorta... ha ha ha
Leo
Oct 23, 2008 Leo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am going to find the book...
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
İbrahim Sevil
İbrahim Sevil rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Erick
Erick marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Kory
Kory added it
Jan 17, 2016
Ned Barnett
Ned Barnett marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
  • Lost Victories: The War Memoirs of Hilter's Most Brilliant General
  • Patton: A Biography
  • Panzer Leader
  • It Doesn't Take a Hero: The Autobiography of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Martin Blumenson was a soldier in the US army, and a military historian, and a recognised authority on the life of Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Blumenson received a Bachelors and Masters degree from Bucknell University in Pennsylvania. He received a second master's degree in history from Harvard University. He also was an exellent pianist, performing at Carnegie Hall as a young man.

He served as a U.S.
More about Martin Blumenson...