Start by marking “The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)

The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children #8)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,882 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Renting a lighthouse is unusual, but even more so is an unfriendly boy's peculiar behavior.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 1/1/1990 Pages: 128 Reading Level: Age 7 and Up
Published January 1st 1990 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published November 30th 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Lighthouse Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lighthouse Mystery

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanTo the Lighthouse by Virginia WoolfThe Lighthouse by P.D. JamesThe Black Tower by P.D. JamesThe Lighthouse at the End of the World by Jules Verne
Lighthouses
39th out of 66 books — 53 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryMatilda by Roald DahlThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Top 100 - Juvenile Literature
28th out of 38 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicola Mansfield
I am in the process of re-reading the original 19 in order. This book takes place immediately following book 7, The Woodshed Mystery. It is the same summer and as the family is driving home from a visit to nearby Aunt Jane's new home, they decide to stop at the beach where they find a lighthouse for sale. They end up renting instead of buying and this is where they stay for the next couple of weeks. While the last book had one of the finest mysteries to date in the series, this one is hard press ...more
Meredith Buchanan
Lighthouse Mystery begins with the end of the Woodshed Mystery, because that’s how synched up Gertrude is. Aunt Jane is relieved that no one calls her Mrs. Bean after her marriage, because even she knows that is a stupid sounding name. We are not even one full page into the book before bread and milk come up. Henry has decided to take the scenic route home, never missing a chance to enjoy the power steering and smooth ride of their STATION WAGON and Grandfather knows of a beautiful lighthouse th ...more
I love lighthouses. Add a mystery and a six-year-old's crush on Benny and you've got the makings for an enjoyable easy read.
♥Xeni♥
I'm trying to remember why I loved the Boxcar Children so much as a child. I suppose the mystery's were intriguing. Today I see right through mystery books, and perhaps it was the Boxcar Children who led me to be able to do that.

Although each book is set up in such a way that the reader thinks it's Person X who is the perpetrator, when it reality Person X is just weird and the real bad guy is Person Y whom you never would have suspected, I still adored the books. I think I bought almost the ent
Irene
Jun 11, 2013 Irene rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
For the first time, I thought the children - though it's hard to call Henry a child since he is now in college - came across as spoiled! The family drives by a lighthouse for sale, and the kids ask Grandfather to buy it as if it's no big deal! It's weird, too, because later on, when the kids want to go swimming but don't have any bathing suits, Jessie is hesitant to ask for new ones because "four new suits would cost too much." Their money sense just seems to be out of whack.

While many of the b
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
The Lighthouse Mystery
By Gertrude Chandler Warner
Illustrations By David Conningham
Grade Levels: 3-5
DRA/Lexile Measure/GLE: 440L/3.2
Reviewed By Aaron Carter

One of the renowned Box Car Children-series books, as its name suggests, The Lighthouse Mystery follows Grandfather Alden and the children on a mysterious adventure at a local lighthouse. Discovering the lighthouse was for sale, the group inquires into temporarily renting it, which they do. After moving in, strange things begin to happen almos
Cathrine Bonham
Better than the last book. Henry was finally treated like an adult. I thought the mystery was not very mysterious. The Alden's are renting a lighthouse for the remainder of the summer and every night at midnight Watch, their dog, gets up and barks for exactly ten minutes. Obviously someone is messing around in the abandoned house next door. This story had way too many coincidences to be believable.

Anyway a good story to amuse young readers. Maybe I am just over thinking the story.
Erika
I liked this one when I was younger, because of staying in the light house. But I do remember picking up on the timing issues with the Woodshed Mystery and they really bug adult me. Either Jane and Andy had a little wedding shortly after July 1, when Mr. Cole's brother came and the couple days it took to find Andy, so that the Aldens could be at the lighthouse a few weeks and be around for the cookout on July 25th...or Warner meant Aug 25th in this book.
Ashle Oaks
I enjoyed this story. I like how the last book talked about history and this one talks about science. The children actually act like children with a rich grandfather in the beginning of this book (begging him to buy a lighthouse). The dog starts growling and barking in the middle of night and the grandfather decides it's best not call the police but to let the children figure out what's going on. How safe and responsible. There is some sexism and entitlement when they build the table and chairs ...more
Miri
On their way home from their last adventures, the Alden's are sidetracked by a wonderful lighthouse that Grandfather buys and they stay there for a nice relaxing visit, only to discover a mystery concerning an angry young man with secret aspirations.
Shelby Royalty
I enjoyed this book. It was an enjoyable read. The only real issue I could see with this book (or series, truthfully) is that it is so outdated. The story is still interesting, but children might be bored by the simplicity.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Nevada Libert
this was a great book, i love how the kids made freinds with a boy who did not want to have freinds, and were nice to him even when he was cross.
Kristine Pratt
Oooh....Now I want to go stay in a lighthouse during a thunderstorm. How cool is that?

I loved this book. I love the message it sends, I like how the children still work together to make life better for the people around them. And I love that their grandfather is willing to let them explore the world and help others whenever possible.

In short I love the Boxcar Children overall. Why didn't I read these as a child?

Highly highly recommended book. I can't wait to read the next!
Marie
Read aloud with my five year old. He always enjoys this series.
Jenn
I love reading aloud books from a series to my students in the hopes they'll get hooked and read more independently. While some of them took the bait on this one, I almost wished they hadn't. I found the writing dull and the plot slow. Wholesome, yes, but I didn't even want to finish it.
Kathryn
it was exciting and very interesting! it is cool how they make stuff out of just plain,regular things like rocks,or boards.I thought the most exciting part was the storm part.it was interesting and kinda scary.
A.
It was a pleasant enough read, but there wasn't any mystery. The family spied on a kid and tried to figure out what he was doing, even though he wasn't exactly keeping his activities secret.
Kay
Read along with son Greg, who did a book report on this for grade school. I fondly remember reading this series when I was a kid, so it was a trip down memory lane for me.
Elevetha
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Elizabeth
I actually learned something from this book...but I can't remember what exactly it was!
Genevieve
its sooooo soooo...........................GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
Brittany
A wonderful adventure for young readers.
Hazel
A good series for the young reader.
Meredith
Very quick read and good story!
Savannah
This kept me asking questions!
Ember Britton
I LOVED these books growing up!
Jill
One of the better books in the series,
great when ur little
Chanelle
reading this with my son
  • Mandie and the Trunk's Secret (Mandie Books, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • The Littles Go To School
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • Santa Claus Doesn't Mop Floors (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #3)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6)
  • Meet Josefina: An American Girl (American Girls: Josefina, #1)
  • Race Against Time (Nancy Drew, #66)
  • The Secret at the Seashore
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH ...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...
The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1) Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2) The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4) The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3) Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)