Start by marking “Lunatics” as Want to Read:
Lunatics

Lunatics

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Jack has been widowed for close to a year, and his behavior has his friends worried. Arrested for public indecency, Jack insists that he was meeting a moon goddess of desire named Lily. Furthermore, he claims that she can only find him if he waits outside, naked under a full moon. To prevent further troubles with the law, Jack's friends begin taking him to a cabin in the w ...more
Published June 2nd 1997 by Bantam (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Lunatics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lunatics

Bark's Book Nonsense
This is a wacky book. I'm not even sure how to classify it really - fantasy/contemporary/comedy. In a nutshell it's about a guy, Jack, who is in love with a moon goddess. His friends, neighbors, and local cops all think he's a loon because he spends one night a month outside, naked as can be, awaiting his lover from the moon (it's the only way she's able to find him).

In an attempt to save him from a permanent stint in jail his friends spend each full moon with him in a cabin located way out in t
William
A little mushy in places. Somewhat interesting premise and some good quips. Common silly sayings are used through out in a funny way. People interactions are interesting at the beginning but get kind of too sweet and predictable towards the end.
Heather
Compelling. Luminous. Crazy. Couldn't put it down.
Deborah Ross
Every full moon, the goddess Lilith, she of the sumptuous body, black wings and chicken feet, descends to earth. Initially, she was drawn to Jack to help him recover from the loss of the woman he loved. But when Jack's friends become concerned by his peculiar behavior (getting naked in the full moonlight, to begin with), Lilith can't resist "helping" them with their own love lives. What ensues is sweet and sexy, romantic and hilarious. I can't believe I waited this long to read it!
Amy
I checked this book out of the library numerous times when in college. Perhaps it was because I felt a bit scandalous reading some of the bits - though they are certainly much more tame by my current standards. I just love the quirky characters, magical moments, and ultimately I'm a sucker for an unlikely love story.
David
I got this book based an a review of his latest book called Laughin' Boy. I couldn't find Laughin' Boy anywhere so I got this one instead. A little disappointing. But I still plan on reading Laughin' Boy.
Mindy Haig
Lunatics is one of my favorite books of all time! I re-read it every year or so. It's funny and sad and strange but it all works out in the end. That's my favorite kind of read.
Maria
This was just a really fun read. Great for lazy summer reading. Good fantasy and humorous real-life-ness to it at the same time.
Gypsykat
An interesting, simple little fantasy. Especially interesting that it was written by a man! It's more of a chick book!
Christine
Feb 25, 2011 Christine marked it as to-read
Sounds like it could be good and weird, or super cheesy. Let's hope for the former.
Jewel Walker
A loony love story about a guy named Jack and his beautiful Moon Goddess, Lily.
Ellen
Obviously I am in the minority on this book. Didn't like it at all!!!!
Julie Unruh
What a lovely book, it was funny and quite light reading.
Shawn Looker
Predictable, but fun to read regardless.
Gina Risher
Very fun. Set in Austin.
chrisa
I really enjoyed this book.
Hail
Hail marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Beryl Cost
Beryl Cost marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Ebby
Ebby marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Samara
Samara marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Reem
Reem marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Almond Oldman
Almond Oldman marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Olin
Olin added it
Feb 14, 2015
Crystal Gail
Crystal Gail marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
  • Tex and Molly in the Afterlife
  • Why Not-World
  • The Facts of Life
  • Mockingbird
  • Berserker Kill (Berserker, #9)
  • Zod Wallop
  • The Time Tutor
  • Other Bells for Us to Ring
  • A Tree of Bones (Hexslinger, #3)
  • Once a Goddess
  • The Cage of Zeus
  • The Wind Whales of Ishmael
  • Between Here and the Yellow Sea
  • Incas: The Light of Machu Picchu (Incas, #3)
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • The Choir Boats (Longing for Yount #1)
  • Apparitions: Ghosts of Old Edo
  • Hart and Boot and Other Stories
198305
Bradley Clayton Denton (born 1958) is an American science fiction author. He has also written other types of fiction, such as the black comedy of his novel Blackburn, about a sympathetic serial killer.
He was born in Towanda, Kansas, and attended the University of Kansas at Lawrence and graduated with degrees in astronomy (B.A.) and English (M.A.). His first published work was the short story "The
More about Bradley Denton...
Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede Blackburn Wrack and Roll One Day Closer to Death: Eight Stabs at Immortality The Calvin Coolidge Home for Dead Comedians