Start by marking “Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)

Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,085 ratings  ·  60 reviews
A tale of humane wolves, beastly men, and a brilliant heroine who must find her way in a dangerous world

Raised by intelligent, language-using wolves, brought back to the human society at the court of Hawk Haven, young Firekeeper had to learn to cope with human society and its complexities . . . and discovered that, for someone raised in a wolf pack, the politics of a royal
Mass Market Paperback, 754 pages
Published August 18th 2003 by Tor Fantasy (first published August 24th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart

White Fang by Jack LondonThe Sight by David Clement-DaviesThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonFell by David Clement-DaviesPromise of the Wolves by Dorothy Hearst
All Fictional Wolf Books (NOT WEREWOLVES)
39th out of 158 books — 150 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGraceling by Kristin CashoreCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Weeping Empress by Sadie S. ForsytheAlanna by Tamora Pierce
fighting heroine
191st out of 211 books — 177 voters

More lists with this book...

Lise
Having begun reading to my son about Firekeeper we kept on going. Believe it or not, but quite a bit of snuggle time goes into around 600 pages worth of story. 600 pages is a lot of words. Sometimes I think the two of us get so caught up in how words and sentences connect that we forget to pay as much attention as we ought to. In my world that is only possible when the writing is tight and attention is paid to how writing is similar to music. Sometimes we have to laugh when I have trouble figuri ...more
Zach
I became so caught up in these books I didn't sleep for weeks! Wolves are just the most awesome animals, and the whole idea of wanting to be one is very fascinating. This just shows how weird and confusing customs and rules that go along with living in this society are and how many of our actions make no sense.
Susan
This series rocks. Blind Seer is the coolest wolf ever.

The paperback had a different cover than the hardback--what gives? Now I have to have both.

Susan
T. Isilwath
I like this whole series. Lindskold is a good storyteller. I need to get the latest in the series.
Férial
I enjoyed this one more (than the first one, that is). I have grown to love Firekeeper and cannot wait to learn more about her. Things from her past need to be told. Who brought her to the wolves when she was 4 year old and why was she so important that she absolutely had to live ? Important for what ?

4 books to go so I think I'll have my answers eventually.
Henry McLaughlin

This is the second book in the author’s series about the feral child, Firekeeper, who was raised by wolves and is now adapting, not always easily, to life in human society.

In this book, magic—longed banned from the land—threatens to reappear. Three objects that could usher in the return of the dark arts have gone missing—stolen and then stolen again. Some want to obtain the objects to prevent magic from returning. Others want magic to return to advance their own power-hungry agendas.

The Royal Be
Alien_duck
Second book in a rather excellent series!
I enjoyed reading about Firekeeper again, and her odd but understandable way of looking at things that normal people take for granted.
I got a bit annoyed with her speaking patterns, which seemed to change without rhyme or reason beyond the explanation given at certain points in the book. As in, sometimes she would form complete sentences, and then revert back to broken and nonsense ramblings, but eh.
Other than that, and the one instance in the whole book
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Like the first in the series, Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart is pretty well-written and has some really neat worldbuilding. Nonetheless, I did not love it, nor did I hate it. They fall in the realm of just above meh. For one thing, they could be shorter; there are some repetitions, often in relation to Firekeeper and Blind Seer, which I could do without.

The larger problem though is what I pointed out in my review of the first: action is minimal and so is romance. Pretty much all of the drama is polit
Vickie
Following closely on the heels of the last book, Wolf's Head is also superior to its predecessor.

Lindskold wisely lessens the scope of the novel, especially in terms of its characters. While a huge part of the first book revolved around Firekeeper and her adoption and integration into human society, this book more closely follows her state of mind. The huge cast of royal families is mainly kept to the wayside, occasionally referenced but not important to the story line. The first novel was defin
Lucille
Queen Valora, formerly Queen Gustin IV, has been sent to rule the Isles, a less powerful kingdom than Bright Bay. Needless to say, she isn't pleased and she won't go down without a fight. There were three magical artifacts that inspired the war that took place in the first book of this series. Now, when King Allister is looking through the royal treasury, he notices that the artifacts are gone. Valora has taken them with her. Magic is feared and hated in the kingdoms of Bright Bay and Hawk Haven ...more
Nora
FINALLY done with this one.

Much tighter than the first in the series (the quest plot structure is inherently easier to write), and was fairly high-tension for much of the book, but so much of the writing was just... bog-like. The plot itself is pretty clearly an action story, but the writing is downright meditative -- clearly this author is highly confused over what she wants to write.

There are also an alarming density of awkwardly-placed dialogue-tags -- such that they ACTIVELY INTERFERE WITH T
Britta
Great book, great series. I actually read this one first by accident (it was a Christmas gift) and loved it - finding that it was the second in the series only increased my love. It can not only stand alone but also, in my opinion, surpasses the other two books.
Lindskold does a very honest job characterizing Firekeeper, especially considering how easy it is to dismiss a character as "raised-by-wolves therefore doesn't understand human society," something which she scorns in favor of true charact
Audrey Kistner
The firekeeper Saga is one of my all time favorites! I'm currently re-reading this series for about the 10th time! It just gets better every time you read it! Blind Seer and Firekeepers journey in this book just makes you believe you are right there with them! Well all of their journeys make you believe that! Praise to Jane Lindskold!
Sue
I appreciate that this older series gives so much agency to women: in the world the books are set in, women are generals, sea captains, heirs to the throne. But while the women are able to cross over traditional gender lines, the men are still stuck in their roles. And everyone is so unrelentingly STRAIGHT. Blah.
Lori
A great addition to a new series with an fantasy world where some animals are more than they seem. Some of the animals, in particular a pack of wolves, saved a baby from a burning village and with help from an unidentified source, inducted her into their pack. Now humans have come in search of the village and its inhabitants, which leads the protagonist to leave behind her forest home to learn the strange language and customs of these two-leggers.

Driven by politics almost exclusively, this dryn
Colleen
What a great book series this is. This second book is a much slower build, and takes a little longer to get into - but the intensity of the story is incredible. Again I'm really impressed with Linskold's ability to take the plot away from the predictable and throw in surprising twists that never feel disingenuous. The character growth in this book, too, is enormous and wonderful to behold, on the part of all of the primary characters. The cultures are amazing and wonderfully detailed; the charac ...more
Jeffrey
Rodger Nelson
Liked this book hopefully the rest of the series just gets better and better. Love the ending, she orders royalty to meet her in a swamp. Got to love that.
Cindy
This is a great series. Wolves, medieval setting, magic - what more could you want? Well, a good plot and this has that too!
Shelly
Not bad, and a decent second novel in a trilogy. While some of the book can drag, one thing I like about this author (as opposed to Robert Jordan) is the the various story lines tie up at the end of the book rather than being left apart and becoming increasingly and needlessly complex.

The downfall of this book is that it requires you to be emotionally invested in the characters of the first book. If you are at all ambiguous about the first book, you are unlikely to enjoy this one.

It's a good ea
Cayleigh
This is the second book in the Firekeeper series. I really enjoyed this one since I had already been introduced with all of the main characters. This time Firekeeper and the gang have to trek into New Kelvin, a neighboring but vastly different culture, to find some very important artifacts that have been stolen. We get to learn more about the main group of characters and see their relationships develop and deepen. I enjoyed this one more than the first and the added parts with the Royal animals ...more
Diane Bohannan
Epic. Loved the first book and this one was just as intriguing.
Jenny S
A bit better than the first book. It's less confusing now that I know who the side characters (and their mothers, brothers and great uncles) are. The new characters introduced are easy to keep track of.

I liked it, but in all the time spent showing developing relationships, there's not a whole lot of concrete change among the characters. Like the court politics, it's all very slow going.

I like Firekeeper and Blind Seer's story enough to keep reading through the ones I find less interesting.
Unwisely
I've been having a problem getting to bed on time and this book didn't help. It's been a while since I read the first book, but this book did a good enough job of introduction I vaguely remembered it all.

Anyway, more with characters you met in the first book, adventure and intrigue, character developments, and a generally fabulous read. Am looking forward to the next one (although I made the mistake of reading the reviews).
Brian Dorricott
Book Two better even than book one... Derian and Firekeeper are really becoming fleshed out and the Evil is becoming more defined... This entire WORLD is in for some serious trouble and it is plain that the Author has a LOT more in store for us the reader... this is no mere LIGHT summer Romp as the first book implied but is becoming more intriguing as the story progresses.. I am quite enjoying this series
Melanie
I loved this book so completely much. The magic, the introductions, the character development, the wolves, the antagonist. I actually read this about 10 years ago, then returned to storage and grabbed it up again. Firekeeper is a loveable heroine and I absolutely recommend it to any sci-fi, fantasy lovers.
Andrea Olsen
I love Firekeeper and Blind Seer and whenever they are in the scene I'm exited and it's fun to read, but the subplots are kind of boring and I have to struggle to push through. I've heard that the middle books in this series are not as good as the later ones so I think I'll skip the next one.
Reiney Mundy
Much like the first book in the series, Through Wolf's Eyes, the narrative is compelling and the characters are believable. I'm especially delighted to find that there is no character or subplot that drags the story down, interrupts the plot, or makes me feel like skipping pages. A wonderful book.
June
The magical artifacts have been stolen from Bright Bay. The sorceress Melina has schemed to get her hands on them in New Kelvin. Firekeeper and her friends are sent to recover them, and also end up rescuing Melina's youngest daughter & the heir's younger sister from pirates.
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Sword and Sorceress XIX
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
  • Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #2)
  • Shattered Dance (White Magic, #3)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
Jane Lindskold is the author of more than twenty published novels, including the six volume Firekeeper Saga (beginning with Through Wolf’s Eyes), Child of a Rainless Year (a contemporary fantasy set in Las Vegas, New Mexico), and The Buried Pyramid (an archeological adventure fantasy set in 1880's Egypt).

Lindskold is also the author of the “Breaking the Wall” series, which begins with Thirteen Orp
More about Jane Lindskold...

Firekeeper Saga (6 books)
  • Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1)
  • The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)
Through Wolf's Eyes (Firekeeper Saga, #1) The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3) Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4) Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5) Wolf's Blood (Firekeeper Saga, #6)

“Firekeeper still could not understand the human penchant for eating in company. Even less so, she could not understand the human desire to combine business and meals.
True, a wolf pack shared a kill, but not from any great desire to do so—rather because any who departed the scene would be unlikely to get a share...
She struggled...not to bolt her food and almost always remembered that growling when a person spoke to you was not a proper response.”
6 likes
“I thought," Shad said slowly, "that she was offended if you referred to Blind Seer or Elation as her pets."
"True," Derian assured him. "Absolutely the correct etiquette—to her face. However, well… When I first met Firekeeper, less than a year ago, her relationships with animals fell into pretty much two categories: those you ate and those you befriended. I remember that she thought we were pretty clever for bringing horses along so we wouldn't need to hunt our meat. It took me a while to show her they had other uses.”
5 likes