Start by marking “The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories

The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,743 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The Dooom That Came to Sarnath
In a city of gems and riches-
beyond the dreams of mortal men-
a race of conquerors celebrates its triumph and reaps the horror of its glory...

The Other Gods
A prophet wise in the ways of the gods learns that too much knowledge can be a macabre thing...

Beyond the Walls of Sleep
A crazed murderer blames his crime on beings from another dimension. W
Published September 13th 1991 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories

Ruby Hollyberry
Another Lovecraft fan is born! This has been the direct result of my falling head over heels for the books (the ones I have acquired, that being Silk, Threshold, Murder of Angels, Low Red Moon, Daughter of Hounds, The Red Tree, and Alabaster) of Caitlin R. Kiernan, who has been heavily influenced by Lovecraft in style as well as content and who is to my mind one of the most talented writers of the current day, and one with the most to say. I was not able to immediately procure more of her writin ...more
Mark
When I was a freshman in high school I found this book in the school library. It was my introduction to Lovecraft and his "eldritch" tales of shambling horrors from beyond the stars, haunted childhoods, and fantastical dreamworlds. I had never read anything like them. In some way he tapped an emotional vein of gothic nostalgia that has always been a part of my world view, giving it voice. While his writing is full of flaws (racism, no characterization whatsoever, hyperbolic adjectives ad infinit ...more
Dan Henk
I think Lovecraft often gets a bad rap. People read that he influenced the modern greats, everyone form authors like Stephen King and Clive Barker, to movie makers like John Carpenter and Wes Craven, and then dive into his books expecting the same fare. He wrote for a different era. His mind-bending, first person surrealistic approach to a creeping, nameless horror stunned and fascinated huge segments of early century America. The America that read, that is, which wasn't nearly what it is today. ...more
Joseph
Apr 27, 2014 Joseph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A lot of early Lovecraft stories and prose poems, and a little poetry. Most of these aren't among his best, but most have at least something that makes them worthwhile. The Festival is collected in this book as well, and it is one of the strongest stories in this volume. Some of the Dunsany influenced stories have beautiful prose, but are lacking in event. Lots of colour, not much action. Lord Dunsany does Dunsany much better than Lovecraft. Interesting collection to see how Lovecraft grew as a ...more
Kristopher
This book collects some of Lovecraft's earlier stories, stories he ghost wrote for others (including Harry Houdini), and extremely short stories (some little more than thought experiments.) While there are some good stories here--"The Doom that Came to Sarnath," "The Nameless City," "The Quest of Iranon"--it still felt like a miscellany, gathering the odd bits and pieces Lovecraft wrote in between his really important works.

The main thing this collection did for me was to whet my appetite for h
Mark R.
I love these Del Rey Lovecraft collections from the 70s. Cool artwork, not too long (usually around 180 - 250 pages), and of course, full of awesome H. P. Lovecraft stories. However, picking these at random hasn't quite worked for me, as I've read this collection of his early work twice now (2007, 2014) and still haven't read much of the Cthulu Mythos, for which he is most well-known. I'll be remedying that in the very near future.

"The Doom that Came to Sarnath" collects the excellent titular st
Michael
Nov 06, 2013 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovecraft fans, horror fans, sci fi fans
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
Lin Carter explains in the introduction that this book is a kind of collection of leftovers, stories that he would have liked to include in The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, but couldn’t because of space. It seems to heavily emphasize Lovecraft’s early work, and there are considerable crossovers with other Del Rey releases, especially The Tomb and Other Tales. Carter makes much of Lovecraft’s influences, and especially his love for the poet known as Lord Dunsany, who is seen as the inspiration ...more
Randal
I bought this mostly because what's a collection if it doesn't have some Lovecraft?
It's not limited to the usual New England setting and is peripheral at best to the whole Cthulhu mythos (this is a compendium of early short stories). And let's face it, Lovecraft is the epitome of pulp fiction, but there are a couple of good stories here -- "The Quest of Iranon" is my favorite.
More for HPL completists than for general readers.
Ken
Jan 13, 2013 Ken rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I put this collection of mostly earlier works by Lovecraft into the fantasy shelf because so many either take place in Lovecraft's fantasy world (The Other Gods, Doom that came to Sarnath, Cats of Ulthar, Quest of Iranon) or have a predominant element of fantasy but with a note of horror (Beyond the Wall of Sleep, Hypnos, Crawling Chaos, Polaris). The best story is probably The Festival, which really captures what a mythos Lovecraft story is all about: strange heritage, strange beings under the ...more
Jason Freeze
It was an interesting collection. I have not read a great deal of Lovecraft's more fantasy based books and I am glad he switched to the Cthulhu mythos and the macabre. That being said, his foray into science fiction was an interesting read and it is unfortunate that he did not do more stories in that genre. If you are looking for his roots, this is worth reading.
Alejandro
A collection of mostly pre-Mythos Lovecraft that showcases a good deal of his prose poetry as well as standard verse, with the occasional weird tale (a specifically creepy highlight being "The Tomb"). Sci-fi author/editor/L. Sprague de Camp amigo Lin Carter edits and offers occasional interludes of commentary, complete with fragments of Lovecraft's own correspondence. I can't vouch for the authority of the texts herein, as they are definitely not Joshi-edited; no disrespect meant to Carter.

This
Katsumi
H.P lovecraft writes great horror stories and this is no exception he's probably one of the great horror story writers along with the likes of Poe. This book is made up of creative writing and conjours up distorted images in your head from the suspense that builds up to the climax toward the end. H.P Lovecraft's books tend to focus on the Horror/Fantasy genre and is the kind of horror material that involves creatures of a new breed and not so much a typical thriller story for example. The doom t ...more
Tim
Not Lovecraft's best, which is not to say it isn't worthwhile. This collection contains a lot of his earlier stuff that just doesn't have the same impact as his more famous, namely the Cthulhu mythos. Still, for die-hards it's entertaining; I found The Tomb, Beyond the Wall of Sleep, and In the Walls of Eryx as enjoyable as any of Lovecraft's more noteable works. Also there's something inarticuably delightful in reading a poem from a man normally as asexual as his monsters that contains the limr ...more
Kohl
This was the second book of short stories I read by Lovecraft and there is something so fascinating about them. This was a bunch of his earlier works and yet there is a distinct sense of unity in all his works as if he created his own world with the body of his work. As I said before in my first review of one of his books, he follows in the footsteps of Poe which means that his work often falls in the genera of Strange Fiction or the Macabre. I enjoyed reading these and now I will set them aside ...more
Katherine
This book was not was I was expecting. Somehow, I long ago acquired an opinion that Lovecraft's work was overwrought pulp with a cult following. I was wrong; it's not pulp. And while the writing style IS overwrought, it's overwrought done right: lush, evocative, and seductive. The universe Lovecraft creates and plays within is mysterious and horrific, pulling the reader in over and over. I believe have been converted to the Lovecraft cult.
Colly
It was nice to take a moment and read some Lovecraft - he informs so much of my favorite stuff. Obviously, early stuff like this doesn't necessarily represent his best work and he's still laying the foundation for his Cthulu Mythos in the stories that appear here. It's kind of like reading the Silmarillion to get a better understanding of the world that Tolkien's works live in (but more engaging - the Silmarillion's a dry history).
Caro
May 09, 2008 Caro rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone in bed with the flu.
I'm not sure if this is the exact book. This story was included. I hadn't read Lovecraft before. I have to say I found it kind of silly. The stories are corny, formulaic, and orientalism and racism abound (Those sinister Russians! The evil Kurds of Brooklyn!). Stomach that. It was at least entertaining to read these when I was home sick one day, total escape into horrorsville. Interesting as an origin of modern horror.
Андрей Казаку
That last story though...lanterna electrica e baza in coloniile interstelare.
Dev
The Grandfather of Horror has some great ones. From the Mountains of Madness and Call of Cthulu to my fav. the Shadow over Innsmouth, Lovecraft paints a bleak picture of doom fated man left bereft and tiny against the the mighty expanse of huge, deathless space. Lots of interesting points could be made in the same vein of Shelly's Frankenstein, but regardless, the stories rock like a good death metal guitar solo.
David
Aug 09, 2008 David added it
Shelves: hpl, horror, fantasy
While H.P. Lovecraft’s name is indissolubly linked with tales of ancient, extraterrestrial races and the strange traces they left in antique New England towns, there was a bit more to his literary corpus. The Doom that Came To Sarnath collects a broad spectrum of Lovecraft tales, prose and poetry.

Ryan Talbot
The Doom That Came to Sarnath was my introduction to Lovecraft. I've never looked back. His mastery of language, his unique style blew my mind. There was something so deep, so foreboding in his work that was missing from the stories of my favorite contemporary authors. This remains one of my favorite stories, it isn't his best, but a damned fine work regardless.
Jay Little
A collection of nearly two dozen Lovecraft short stories, this book includes several of my favorites, including Beyond the Wall of Sleep, Nyarlathotep, and The Cats of Ulthar. I find that this selection of short stories provides a fairly diverse sampling of Lovecrafts work, though it does seem to lean slightly toward his Dreamland and Outer Space themes.
Jason
This was my first foray into his world. This is a collection of his lesser-known stories and I find them more intriguing than a lot of his others. These are the stories that gave him a name, that gave him a reputation. After reading these stories, one can easily see the direction he took, and the route that brought him there. A must have.
sologdin
archaic-sounding chronicle of an ancient city that is destroyed and later investigated by some weird guy who goes crazy and falls through an unreverberate blackness, or something. purports to be historical but I dunno about that because author keeps telling us that he is not to be trusted or is in a mental institution.
Teresa
Huh, I didn't know Lovecraft did a bit of ghostwriting for Harry Houdini! Enjoyed "In the Walls of Eryx" and "From Beyond." And I realized that while I like Lovecraft, his work is best appreciated sparingly. Otherwise those nameless Cyclopean horrors get so old so fast.
Jon Milstein
This collection was the first Lovecraft I ever read, and I really enjoyed it. It paired nicely with all the Black Sabbath I was listening to at the time (age 15-16). Thankfully I avoided wearing an ankh necklace, dyeing my hair black and being fat.
Owen
Typical Lovecraftian fare. Enthralling descriptions of fictional ancient cultures and the horrors that brought them low. Some of the short stories get convoluted and hard to follow, and as always there is obscene racism in his works.
Steve
I wasn't too crazy about this. HPL seems to have a thing for tightly enclosed spaces, crawling on your belly in the dark, human animal mash-ups and Egyptology. The "Eryx" story was good but nothing near as creepy as his later Ctulu stuff.
elstaffe
3.5 stars rounds up to 4. There were some stories that I really enjoyed, but there were also some that were uncomfortably "of the time" racist. Interesting to see how his style developed, though.
James Pratt
More early, pre-Cthulhu Lovecraft. Reads more like dark fantasy than horror, but still an interesting look at the early work of an infulential author still finding his voice.
  • The Nyarlathotep Cycle: The God of a Thousand Forms
  • Nameless Cults: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • Grimscribe: His Lives and Works
  • Dark Gods
  • Cthulhu's Reign
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu