Start by marking “Dreams of Dark and Light: The Great Short Fiction” as Want to Read:
Dreams of Dark and Light: The Great Short Fiction

Dreams of Dark and Light: The Great Short Fiction

Tanith Lee. Dreams of Dark and Light. Sauk City: Arkham House, [1986]. First edition, first printing. Octavo. 507 pages. Publisher's binding and dust jacket.

Publication of The Birthgrave in 1975 heralded a new and brilliant luminary in the firmament of modem fantasy. Ostensibly a sword-and-sorcery epic in the tradition of Robert E. Howard, this novel about a youthful heroi
Published January 1st 1986 by Arkham House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of Dark and Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams of Dark and Light

T. Frohock
Mar 30, 2017 T. Frohock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is one of my favorite Lee anthologies, and I highly recommend it to existing fans of Tanith Lee, or to those who would like to sample her work. This edition is out of print, but if you can land your hands on a copy, it is a treat.
Sarah Pierce
Jan 03, 2009 Sarah Pierce rated it it was amazing
This anthology of short stories shows how far an author can roam within one or two genres. From a story about a mystical, man-eating tiger to one about sharing bodies in the future… it also includes one of my favorite Tanith Lee stories, “Fleur de Feu, or Bite-Me-Not,” which is one of the best vampire stories I’ve ever read. I’ve also discovered a new favorite story, “Medra.”
Shane
Overall score on this collection is 5.4 (out of 10) so not very good. I seem to have a love-hate thing for Tanith Lee. She's written some of my favorite books/stories but also at least a couple that I couldn't even finish they were so painfully bad. I read this collection of the last 3 years and finally finished it this morning.

Because Our Skins are Finer (5.0) - Just having someone be a lycanthrope does not constitue a plot.

Bite-Me-Not, or, Fleur de Fur (7.0) - Cool ending, good writing, but wh
Timothy Emmons
May 10, 2013 Timothy Emmons rated it it was amazing
I am currently rereading this collection of stellar short fiction by Tanith Lee. I read this a long time ago back when I was in the eighth grade and discovering fantasy and Sf for the first time and fell in love with it. It has been made accessible through Bookshare, another good source of books for the blind and visually impaired that I have been a part of for years. I had sent this book to them almost nine years ago because I couldn't scan it because I wanted to read a more portable version as ...more
Myridian
Oct 05, 2009 Myridian rated it really liked it
This is a collection of Tanith Lee’s “short” fiction, though some of it almost reaches the novella length in my opinion.  Many of the stories I had read before, and overall the collection felt a little uneven to me.  At its best, Lee’s short fiction develops an almost unbearable tension before pulling you through the resolution.  It makes me think of the uncanny dip in graphic art.  You have a sense that there’s something deeply wrong, but it’s just similar enough to reality to almost pass.  Int ...more
Jim
Aug 01, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
Wonderful Collection of stories. Many short story collections are hit or miss, but most of these are right on target. They range, from Horror, to Sword and Sorcery (including one very funny tale) to Science Fiction, to Rewritten Fairy Tales. As you read the latter, you realize you have read this story before, and yet you really haven't. Based on this collection her influences range from Angela Carter, to Mervyn Peake, to Ray Bradbury to perhaps Ramsey Campbell.

Hunt this down and Enjoy!
Lauren
Dec 09, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tanith-lee
A fabulous, fabulous collection of short stories. Like in The Gorgon, there is a wide variety of story type which is sometimes abrupt. Deal with it.

This contains some stories that are also in The Gorgon.

This book is actually hard to get, having been published once only by Arkham House. I'm so grateful I bought it when it came out. Totally worth it.
Dana
Mar 19, 2011 Dana rated it liked it
Shamefully, I didn't finish. I ran out of time and need to return this book to my library. I will certainly borrow this book again. I tried to read 1-2 stories a day but that was too much. Tanith's writing style is not quick reading for me. That said, I do thoroughly enjoy these short stories and highly recommend them to everyone.
Marvin
Jun 10, 2012 Marvin rated it it was amazing
Excellent retrospective of Tanith Lee's short fiction covering a great variety of genres. Tanith Lee 's style is haunting and exquisite. I especially love her fantasy tales. It's been awhile since I read this. Time for a reread.
Navera
Jun 19, 2008 Navera rated it it was amazing
Tanith Lee has a fierce imagination. She has taken on the mantle of Angela Carter with these varied and original stories; revisionist fairy tales, alternate histories, ancient detective stories. Characters find horror or sorrow at the end of their quests, rarely a happy ending.
Amy
Jun 14, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, shortstories
This is a really stellar collection of stories from Tanith Lee, with beautiful illustrations. I consider myself very lucky to have it. If you ever stumble across it, definitely snap it up.
Elizabeth Cozart
Elizabeth Cozart rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2010
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2010
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
May 18, 2008
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Oro
Oro rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Teresa Edgerton
Teresa Edgerton rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Elizabeth Myrddin
Elizabeth Myrddin rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2008
db8832
db8832 rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2008
Shana
Shana rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Traveller
Traveller rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Irene Lofthouse
Irene Lofthouse rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Liobhan
Liobhan rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2010
Jestabrook
Jestabrook rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Artificial Absinthe
Artificial Absinthe rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Barbora
Barbora rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2013
Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2011
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
  • Gallery of Horror
  • When Darkness Falls: Kiss of the Wolf\Shadow Kissing\The Devil She Knew
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • The Penguin Book of Lesbian Short Stories
  • Scared Stiff: Tales of Sex and Death
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • The Turing Test
  • The Standing Dead
  • Tales of Horror & the Supernatural
  • Last Watch of the Night: Essays Too Personal and Otherwise
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...