Start by marking “Great Short Works” as Want to Read:
Great Short Works

Great Short Works

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  716 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"From the best of his comic and satiric works to the best of his Gothic works . . . a remarkable literary achievement--perhaps one of the most remarkable of the nineteenth century."--G. R. Thompson, from the Introduction
Published November 28th 1970 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Great Short Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Short Works

Jonathan
This book has done nothing for me.

I repeat that this book has done nothing for me. Nothing but confirm my absolute respect for the brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe. Where in previous anthologies of the works of Poe I had read only gothic or adventure tales, here I found that his flair extended to a greater diversity of genres. I found that Poe was not only a master dramatist, poet, thriller writer and creator of haunting tales but also involved himself in writing comedic tales. Yes Edgar Allan Poe
Ethan
Mar 21, 2009 Ethan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this, and I'm sad I barely actually read what I was assigned in my American lit classes in college. I thought the horror tales generally worked better than the satires, although I think it may be partly that I don't necessarily understand the context for the things he's satirizing. My favorites of the horror tales are probably Masque of the Red Death and William Wilson, and I also loved the two detective stories, Murders in the Rue Morgue and Purloined Letter. I've never been a big fan o ...more
Mimi Marie
I Love Poe. Poe Poe Poe. He's been one of my favorites since middle school at the earliest. Although some stories can be difficult to get through, once you've put in the effort you're always rewarded. The tales are macabre, very nearly touching insanity, and the poetry is laced with death and allusions to demons, angels, and all sorts of spirits. If anything ever happened to my cooy of this book there'd be 5 minutes where I'd be inconsolable and then I'd run to buy another one.
P5br21:victor Ramirez
Dear, Mrs. Duong My URL to my book report is on the great short works of Edgar Allen Poe. This book is based on how Edgar Allen Poe wrote poems and tales. There were a lot of poems that he wrote in his life, most of them were on life itself. The book was a minimum of 563 pages within this book. In the introduction it tells that Poe's first tales Gothic wasn't a big success, but he never gave up. Edgar Allen Poe die in 1949, but future writers wrote an essay to remember all of his work. From 1827 ...more
Saubeer Mann
Sep 09, 2009 Saubeer Mann rated it really liked it
Most of the short stories, as the work of Poe normally is, dealt with the darkness in the human psyche, and bordered on the realm of the metaphysical. the narrative by poe of the goings on in the mind to feel the fear is the aspect that holds the reader. murders at the rue morgue was my best.
Nicole Solley
Jan 04, 2008 Nicole Solley rated it really liked it
I've always loved "The Raven" but when I found this collection on my bookshelves, I began to truly appreciate Poe. He's a phenomenal mystery writer and he packs a punch with his short stories! One of my favorites is The Murders in the Rue Morgue. "The Raven" was only the beginning!
E Sweetman
Nov 26, 2009 E Sweetman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to E by: started reading Poe in 9th grade
Shelves: classics
Great, dark writing. The creepiness really gets to you. I preferred to read one story at a time because they stayed with me much longer than if I read the book from cover to cover. Excellent.
Regan
Apr 14, 2008 Regan rated it liked it
Ahh, The Pit and the Pendulum...The Telltale Heart...who doesn't get a shiver of delight at the vivid telling of these eerie stories?
Tamara
Mar 10, 2008 Tamara rated it it was ok
I really like his most well know stories and poems but some of the more obscure stuff is really tough to want to read through.
Kristen
Jun 25, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Love him!
Anna Domestico
Oct 13, 2015 Anna Domestico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic compilation of Poe's work. I've always been a fan of Poe's, however, I've only been exposed to his most famous works. When I discovered that my boyfriend had this compilation, I readily took it to enjoy on the train. Poe's work is grim, gruesome, and fun to read. I thoroughly loved sifting through these works, gaining further insight into Poe's works. Definitely recommend for anyone who is a fan of the macabre.
Jackie
I haven't completed the entire collection but I have read a fairly huge selection of the short stories. Some of my favourites being The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart and The Black Cat. Poe is a fantastic writer. The dark and morbid themes he writes about are really intrigued to read. Hopefully I'll be able to continue with this and finish the collection.
Isa
Aug 09, 2015 Isa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very nice, although some of the short stories were quiet boring and lacked plot, I was still amazed by the prose and writing styles, also a couple of the stories turned out to be quite gripping, my favourites were " How To Write A BlackWood Article " and " The Tell-Tale Heart ". 3.5/5
Amalia Niculescu
Mar 06, 2016 Amalia Niculescu rated it it was ok
Edgar Allan Poe and Hitchcock make the perfect friday terror night.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it liked it
False
Michelle
Had to read selections from this work for my ENGH 655 class. We read the following selections: "Alone," "To Helen," "Annabel Lee," "Ms. Found in a Bottle," "Ligeia," "The Masque of the Red Death," "A Tale of the Ragged Mountains," "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar," "The Cask of Amontillado," and "The Philosophy of Composition."
Evelyn
Recurring theme: being buried alive.

Of the stories, I liked the Dupin mysteries the best, then some of the most grotesque, I guess you could call it - The Masque of the Red Death, Hop-Frog, &c.
Janet Berkman
Oct 22, 2013 Janet Berkman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookish
Poe's stories run hot and cold. Some are intriguing and anxiety-provoking and some are dull and seemingly interminable. This was a good October read.
Yousra
Aug 10, 2012 Yousra rated it really liked it
I have that same book ... I loved it but i found difficulties with the vocabulary and the classical literature style while reading
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Amanda Luckenbaugh
Amanda Luckenbaugh marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Stalfos
Stalfos marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Helene
Helene marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
solene
solene rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
CHRIS LOCKEY
CHRIS LOCKEY rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Countess DJ
Countess DJ is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2016
  • Great Short Works
  • In the Shadow of the Master: Classic Tales by Edgar Allan Poe and Essays by Jeffery Deaver, Nelson DeMille, Tess Gerritsen, Sue Grafton, Stephen King, Laura Lippman, Lisa Scottoline, and Thirteen Others
  • Echoes of Old Souls
  • Collected Poetry & Prose
  • Shock 1
  • Feeling and Form
  • Shakespeare's Philosophy
More about Edgar Allan Poe...