Start by marking “Transgressions: Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Transgressions: Volume 2

Transgressions: Volume 2

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  19 reviews
New York Times bestsellers and thriller legends John Farris and Stephen King each provided a brand-new, never-before-published tale for this unique collection of stories edited by New York Times bestselling author and mystery legend Ed McBain.

The Ransome Women by John Farris: A psychological thriller that questions the role beauty plays in society and the cult of celebrity
Published August 29th 2006 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Transgressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transgressions

Armada Volya
I was reading this book on my way to work and it was often hard to put it dawn when I would reach my stop. For the most part I enjoyed The Ransom Women, by John Farris. It was a very intriguing tale that appealed to me as an artist as well as a lover of good stories.
The Things They Left Behind is the reason I'm giving this book four instead of five stars. I love Stephen Kings novels, but I haven't found a lot of his short stories that I'd actually like. It's just not his writing style. He ends
Susan Kelley
Apr 10, 2008 Susan Kelley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thrill-seekers.
Recommended to Susan by: ReadNSwap
I picked up this book from one of my online reading groups because of Stephen King. However, I enjoyed this book because of John Farris. Go figure.

Transgressions is a concept created by author Ed McBain. He invited several of his favorite thriller and horror authors to write novellas for this series. There are a total of four Transgressions books, with the Farris/King effort being the second. None of the stories have anything to do with each other, so you can read one or read them all and be a h
Julie
I bought this book solely for the Stephen King story and was deeply disappointed. The story was a bit odd and disjointed to me...

The second story was by John Harris and was a page turner. I expected it to be horror since it was paired with Stephen King, but it was more of a mystery. The story was about a beautiful woman who is approached by an artist to who wants to paint her under the condition that she live with him for a year and have no contact with the outside world. Her boyfriend is a cop
Jonathan Funk
Each of the books in this collection are well suited to the short story genre. Short stories are a marvelous medium to explore an idea without needing to belabor any particular point.

'The Ransome Women' takes a story that could have been told in more detail over several hundred pages and condenses it down to a wonderfully short and sweet story that is 'just the good stuff'. 'The things they left behind' explores 9/11 survivors guilt and the metaphysical ramifications in one particular individual
Melissa Merritt
The Stephen King story is excellent--a tear jerker. The Farris story? Odd.
Sylwia
The kind of (short) stories I love the most. Both were brilliant! Am eager to read more books in the series.
Stephanie Jachymek
I'm basing this on the Farris novella The Ransome Women, because I have previously read the King one.
To put it simply, the writing was bland, the story was predictable and the characters fell flat. I didn't care about any of them, but being the type of person that can't not finish a book, I trudged my way through.
I would be hard pressed to reccomend this to anyone. I am unaware if any of his other works are decent, but I'm most assuredly not going to find out soon.
Laura Buechler
I had read King's "The Things They Left Behind" previously and quite enjoyed it, so my decidedly "meh" review is for Farris' "The Ransome Women". Maybe it's partly my own fault for expecting something more supernatural/suspenseful, but the feeling I am left with after reading this story is "There's three days I'll never get back." Predictable, pointless, and populated with characters that we don't get to know well enough to give a crap about ... meh. Meh, I say.
Steve
Two short stories. The first, by Stephen King, is about a survivor from 9-11 who starts to find tokens from the office he should have been in had he not been playing hooky. In the second story, a famous artist uses beautiful women as models, and then awful things start happening to them. A thrilling story.
Dawn
The Ransome Women was as suspenseful as it was creepy, but The Things They Left Behind by King was hauntingly heartbreaking, especially if you were either close to NYC after 9/11, knew anyone that was near there, or knew anyone directly affected by the horrific terrorist attack.
Tanvir Muntasim
I have read the King novella in one of his short story collections, and it is quite touching. The Farris novella was pulpy trash, and inflated to fill up the pages. I doubt I will check his fiction any further.
Statikpulse
it was alright, i think the stephen king one could have been longer and John Farris could have been shorter, i wasn't overly impressed but it was an alright read.
Bryn
Decent Novella by King, but definitely not his best work. The Farris Novella is totally pulpy trash, but not very enjoyable. Kind of a core to get through.
Susan
Stephen King's story was one of the worst I've ever read. Farris on the other hand, was pretty good - could have had a better ending though.
Marina
I enjoyed the Stephen King story more, it was very touching. The John Farris story was disturbing & not in a good way.
Matt
the king story was really good.
the farris story wasn't.
Craig Rettig
Certainly not bad, but nothing special for either tale.
Mackenzie
I liked both these stories
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Suspense,Anthology
Jaci
Jaci marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Rana Ibrahim
Rana Ibrahim is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Sandra Davis-Gates
Sandra Davis-Gates marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
BOBNTV
BOBNTV marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Shar
Shar added it
Jan 13, 2015
Mark Mcpherson
Mark Mcpherson marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Robyn Newman
Robyn Newman marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
  • Word Processor of the Gods
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 3)
  • Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • McSweeney's #27
  • The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New Horror
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)