Start by marking “All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By” as Want to Read:
All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By

All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  434 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The affair is a military wedding. Whast will begin, however, with the solemnity of marriage vows will end in the echoing screams of the damned - an ungodly spectacle of spilled blood and sobbing, throat-aching terror. There is a curse that grips the Baldwins from generation to generation, from horror to bloody horror, and that climaxes in a spine-chilling nightmare of blac ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 15th 1990 by Tor Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Heads Turn When The Hunt Goes By

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Stephen King liked this book. I did not. That makes me sad.

America's premier novelist of terror. When he turns it on as he does here, nobody does it better.

*glares at Stephen King*

I just can't finish it. I tried. It has voodoo and snakes. Dang it. I just couldn't figure out which character was who and what the hell was happening. I did read over half the sucker before throwing in the tower.

I'm bored now.
Robert Beveridge
There are certain novels that are discovered early on by other novelists and talked about constantly. Some of the time, the public picks up on these and turns them, and their authors, into popular figures. Far more often, however, they are left in obscurity among the masses while achieving legendary status among the industry insiders. Anne Rivers Siddons' _The House Next Door_ is a prime example; Lee Smith's _Oral History_ is another. And there are many other examples, including this tome, which ...more
Feliks
There is no other horror novel quite like this one. Its notoriety and reputation; its esteem and admiration, are fully well-earned. It was conceived at the dawn of the horror-fiction revolution stirred awake by Stephen King; during that long 'lull' before the genre exploded and multi-millions began to be tossed around. Ambitious authors at that time, were not really throwing all their energies into this genre because it was considered a sleepy backwater. A special-interest genre. Ira Levin was l ...more
Charlene
I read this e-book with my horror group at Shelfari.

This book is widely considered a classic by many hard-core horror fans. It features African voodoo, slavery, southern plantations, snakes, curses and a unique cast of characters. It is well written and the story is beautifully told. I recommend the STORY highly for any fan of old-school horror.

However, the formatting problems in this book seriously interfered with my enjoyment of the story. There were commas and periods out of place, character
Sandy
Having never read anything by John Farris, I stumbled upon his 1977 novel "All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By" after seeing David J. Schow's very laudatory remarks concerning the book in Jones & Newman's overview volume "Horror: 100 Best Books" (1988). In his essay, Schow calls it a "unique horror novel; the strongest single work yet produced by the field's most powerful individual voice," as well as "the first modern sexual horror novel yet written." "All Heads Turn" was hardly an early w ...more
N N
Not my usual cup of tea, but the title was too baroque to pass up. The book is a good example of an American author floundering out of his depth. The first part, set in the US, is competent and establishes the right kind of southern gothic atmosphere. Then for some perverse reason (the plot does not demand it) the second part takes the action over to Britain and strips the author of all credibility. Characters start talking as if they were Hollywood Englishmen played by Ronald Colman or Dame May ...more
Leslee
This is a horror novel with some clout - mentioned both by Stephen King in Danse Macabre and again by Kim Newman and Stephen Jones in Horror: The 100 Best Books.

It's also a horror novel that was released over 30 years ago, but luckily has been re-released in ebook format and is now available on amazon for less than 5 dollars, which is a great price for this treasure of a horror novel that is a must read for anyone who considers themselves as a devotee of the horror genre.

All Heads Turn... is v
Kelly
Nov 26, 2009 Kelly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
On the back of the book Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, Stephen King is quoted as saying "I haven't read such a relentlessly creepy family saga since John Farris's All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By." So I looked it up and added it to my TBR pile.
Gil
Well, I finished my "close" read of this amazing novel, and my one-word review is "Wow!"

There is a clarity to Farris's writing that I envy, a strong control that holds back the horror and then examines it clinically, without shying away from any of it.

I look forward to the straight-through read of the page proofs. My publisher client tells me I'll have another of Farris's to read in about four months. Great!
Barrymore Tebbs
Sidney
All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By is a horror classic and like the best horror tales it immerses the reader in its world, a Southern plantation where a proud Southern family is plagued by a voodoo curse. The opening scene as a military wedding is disrupted by madness is only the beginning for a great, chilling experience.
Charles
Good book. An ambitious book. Beautifully written. Gory in places. There were a few moments when I was confused about the turn of events but for the most part I sailed through it easily enough. The ending is right on track for the rest of the story.
Leah Coffin
Stephen King: you, sir, are a bald-faced liar. You said this book had a family as twisted as the one in Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. That family did indeed make my skin crawl with their seriously messed-up dynamics. This one just appalls me with their blatant racism and poor taste in women.

Can I also just say that there is a fine line between portraying a racist society (in this case, the Deep South in the 1940s) and being racist oneself. John Farris goes so far past this line he's not even o
Martha
Sep 03, 2010 Martha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patient people who love voodoo stories
Shelves: horror
This came highly recommended from a horror group I'm in. I must be a bit jaded, because I didn't actually find this book shocking in the least. And maybe I'm just spoiled by reading so much rich language by classic horror writers that modern horror writers fail to impress me.
Whatever reason, I had a hard time forcing myself through this book. It just didn't grip and pull me in at any point. The story itself isn't bad, but I felt that the first half of the book (aside from the very beginning) was
Ralph Carlson
Read this book when it was first published and while I liked it, thought it was just okay. This second read I found was fantastic. It was a great read which I loved a lot. I have found this quite a few times with books the second time of reading them.
Tero Kuittinen
Sizzling voodoo horror from the Seventies - one of those pre-King novels that have become largely forgotten. One fascinating thing about this book is that it shows what horror was before it became formulaic during the Eighties. The structure and character development are interesting and somewhat odd, the atmosphere of the book is unique.

"All Head Turn..." has one obvious structural problem - the second half cannot sustain the heady pace of the first one. But the quality of the writing sustains
A.M. Dellamonica
The opening of this novel may be one of the best things I've ever read--creepy, suspenseful, unexpected and tragic--but all that potential never quite comes to a satisfying conclusion.
Katharine Kruse
I was intrigued by the reviews on this "classic" horror novel (and let's face it, the eye-catching title), but I only made it halfway through. Like so much of 1970s and 1980s horror, this book is obsessed with shock-me viscera and extreme sexuality. It had a great beginning, but the unrelenting attempts to gross me out began to be wearying.

I took a break from the book a couple weeks ago. Every time I thought about re-starting I'd get a bit nauseous. So I did what I usually do when a book is not
Patrick Browne
Fervently wished for the title to pertain to what was in the book, but sadly, it didn't.
Donna Humble
An interesting mix of the old South, voodoo, and superstition. I enjoyed the book but at times it did drone on. if you can get through those parts the ending is worth the trouble.
terby2011
I am gonna need a day or two to fully process this book. It started off as hard to read and a little sporadic in nature but then the story picks up speed. All the while the characters seem a little two dimensional but somehow likable. I would say that overall it was worth finishing, because there was a point when I thought about putting it down, but am not going to rush out and read another John Farris novel.
Cynthia Schaefer
The name Dambhalah Wedo occurs early in the book. For me, that removed a lot of the suspense. If that name doesn't ring a bell, I won't spoil it for you. It was more mysterious than scary, though it did hold my interest. It was rather unpleasant to be confronted with racial slurs and stereotypes, even in a historical context. So keep that in mind should you decide to read this book.
Bailey
This was alright. I don't really know what I was expecting when I started it - it seemed to be all over the place, kind of. Not a bad read, interesting lore about voodoo and fetishes (side note, I learned what a fetish was! It's like a relic) and some truly weird shit. I don't know if I'll read it again, but it was worth picking up.
Chuck Gass
Very good 70s horror read. Most part southern Gothic and a little noir thrown in.
Debra
Jul 16, 2011 Debra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King recommended book. Noted as "important to the genre we have been discussing" from Danse Macabre, published in 1981.
Kelly
This was a pretty darn good book. It was a bit uneven in parts, I felt, but on the whole, was very creepy and interesting. The world needs more horror stories like this one.

Emily Sours
not really scary, but an okay horror story. don't know why it was listed as the scariest book someone has read (i saw it listed as such on a blog). okay read.
Brian Sammons
I’ve always been fascinated by voodoo for some reason and this is a great, sexy, often bloody book all about loa and those that truck with such spirits.
Tammy
I liked Mr. Farris's writing style and the plot BUT I found the story became rather disjointed toward the end.
  • Burnt Offerings
  • Ghosts
  • Dark Companions
  • The House of Souls
  • The Summoning
American writer and screenwriter of both adaptations of his own books (e.g. 'The Fury'), of the works of others (such as Alfred Bester's 'The Demolished Man') and original scripts. In 1973 he wrote and directed the film 'Dear Dead Delilah'. He has had several plays produced off-Broadway, and also paints and writes poetry. At various times he has made his home in New York, Southern California and P ...more
More about John Farris...
The Fury Son of the Endless Night Baby Moll Phantom Nights High Bloods