Start by marking “This is My House” as Want to Read:
This is My House

This is My House

All over the world people make houses from the materials available around them. In this unique multilingual picture book, readers are encouraged to open their front door and experience the differences and similarities between housing structures around the world. As they read about the different dwellings, children will also learn how to write and say "This is my house" in ...more
Hardcover, 1 page
Published September 1st 1992 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about This is My House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is My House

Carmen Pagan
Nov 17, 2015 Carmen Pagan rated it it was ok

This is My House written and illustrated by Arthur Dorros is a book that portrays what people from around the world call home. Not all houses are the same, some are tall others are small, some are made of wood, others are made of steel, some houses can move, and others are more permanent structures. This book depicts how the environment, lifestyle, culture, and climate all play a part of what makes a home.

Each page of this book has the location of the country the house is depicted in. The image
Hoang Shin
Oct 22, 2013 Hoang Shin rated it it was amazing
The author and illustrator, Arthur Dorros, does a beautiful job of portraying different types of homes around the world. The illustrations are beautifully detailed and paired with very simple text, which makes it an easy read for young readers. Each page features a different home, with brief descriptions of the home structure, family, or a fun fact about the character’s life, described by the characters that live in the homes. The people in the illustrations are also dressed in clothes that are ...more
Julie Graham 47150
Feb 16, 2012 Julie Graham 47150 rated it really liked it
We learn about many different habitats in first grade (desert, rain forest, caves, ocean, etc.). We also learn about the many places we call home (solar system, planet, country, state, city, and street). First, we read a book about our solar system and learn that the sun is our closest star, we are the third planet from the sun, and then we act out the solar system (planets revolving around the sun). Second, we read three books about the Earth. We learn about its population and its diverse peopl ...more
Gladys Sosa
Jun 09, 2014 Gladys Sosa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It was a joy reading this book because it shares with the reader information about many different places around the world (e.g., Brazil, Mexico, Turkey). With this book many differen concepts can be taught such as importance of family, community, globalization, our culture, cultures around the world. This book is a perfect tool to make students aware that we are part of a big community which is the world.
Jana
This is an interesting nonfiction picture book that shows readers different houses around the world. The phrase, "This is my house" is repeated on each page in different languages. This book is awesome for comparing and contrasting homes in different countries. It's also a good mentor text for informational writing. I'm glad to have this in my classroom library.
Kristen
Apr 08, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
This book explores the diversity of homes around the world. I love that is emphasizes on how people make houses using any materials they can find, houses can be tall or short, but the people inside is what makes the HOME. For each country it explore it also says This is My House in their langauge.
Christina
Sep 21, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: multi-cultural
Great book to introduce different cultures, languages, and homes around the world. I love how the book includes the authentic language of the country whose home it examines. A great way to meet social studies standards and to help students understand how people live around the world.
Kay
Nov 18, 2016 Kay rated it really liked it
REALLY cool book about what types of houses exist all over the world and throughout history. it even had the language of the country and culture you were learning about and how to say it correctly. even the english dialects were there. very cool.
Kate
Dec 10, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
love the different languages in saying THIS IS MY HOUSE
Kendra
Apr 24, 2012 Kendra rated it it was amazing
A good book to teach about different homes and cultures. The book is comprised of 15 different languages.
Grillables
Grillables rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Chad Ryan
Chad Ryan rated it really liked it
May 01, 2017
Nadia
Nadia rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2009
Matt
Matt rated it did not like it
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
The Brothers Umbras
The Brothers Umbras rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2010
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Brooke
Brooke rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2011
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Debbie Stahmann
Debbie Stahmann rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2010
현순 최
현순 최 rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Luke
Luke rated it really liked it
Nicolas Wu
Nicolas Wu rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
Hope Gunther
Hope Gunther rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2017
Nancy Kotkin
Nancy Kotkin rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Clare
Clare rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Alie Brandl
Alie Brandl rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2011