Start by marking “Chronicles of Avonlea” as Want to Read:
Chronicles of Avonlea

Chronicles of Avonlea (Chronicles of Avonlea #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  8,554 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
On Prince Edward Island, where Anne Shirley grew up in the sea-sprayed town of Avonlea, there was no shortage of wonderful stories. There was the case of Ludovic Speed, who wouldn't propose to the woman he had courted for fifteen years until Anne devised a plan to "speed" him up . . . if it didn't backfire and break his heart. But no one could blame mischievous Anne for th ...more
Hardcover
Published 1920 by The Page Company (first published 1912)

Anne
When I was about thirteen or fourteen, one of my best friends gave me a DVD copy of Road to Avonlea: The Journey Begins, and I was very excited. It looked just like my kind of thing and I was sure I would like it. I did, and watched it a few times over the years, but for some reason I never cared or thought to watch more of the famous show. I wasn't too much of a TV/movie person back then, and I think I was only vaguely aware that there even was a complete series of Road to Avonlea.

But about a m
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
I like her so much more as a short-story writer than as a novelist. All of her works communicate the conditions/foibles/quirks of insularity-if you ever think of the dating pool where you live as small, imagine what it's like on an island, and back in a time where people didn't travel "just because". But the humor that emerges, especially in the last 7 stories, where she often uses a first-person narrator, is five times better than anything in her novels. Reading these, I recognized situations a ...more
Duane
In addition to her 20 novels, Montgomery wrote over 500 short stories. This collection contains 12 stories, all set in Avonlea, Prince Edward Island, Canada, home of her most famous character, Anne Shirley of Green Gables fame (that's Anne with an e please). LMM stories and characters are of a certain ilk that seem out of place for young readers in the 21st century, but they were loved dearly by the readers of her era. There is a segment of adults today that still love these stories (me included ...more
Laurence
Dec 01, 2015 Laurence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was amazing!
Mikkee
Feb 21, 2010 Mikkee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just reread this book for the 10th or 20th time, and I love it as much as when I was 12 reading it for the first time. The author was an extraordinary storyteller, and this book of short stories were extra poignant this year. I need the sweetness and simplicity that these stories offer and have offered to generations of girls and women more this year than in previous years.

This was the last of my rereads of the Montgomery books, and it is always with a sad heart that I finish them. But still r
Rosalba
Feb 01, 2012 Rosalba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lm-montgomery
This stories are all so dear, with that unique flavor of sweet homes and high-bred souls that only L.M. Montgomery can conjure. My favorite among them was Each in His Own Tongue, I wept on the redemptive deathbed scene, but all of them had true kindred spirits among their characters and I was thrilled to pieces when Anne Shirley appeared in them. Some characters had enough potential for a book of their own, like little Felix Moore in Each in His Own Tongue or Sara in Old Man Shaw's Girl. I'm ...more
Cara
Dec 02, 2015 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler: the endings are all happy in these stories. Love wins. The characters are lovable and humorous in their caricature imperfections, and they always forgive each other for those over-the-top imperfections. I should probably look down on this book for it's predictability and its obvious patterns that make the end of the last few stories completely predictable. Instead, I find it comforting. Like grilled cheese and tomato soup on a winter afternoon.

Although I'm old enough to know that there
Tara
Dec 07, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this hadn't been included in the Anne series on my Kindle, I may not have ever picked it up, thinking I was just about Avonlea'd out. As it was, when Rilla was finished, I launched right into this. It is a series of short stories set around Avonlea, in to which Anne makes the occasional cameo appearance or mention, but otherwise is never a main character. I have to say LMM just has a delicious way of phrasing things sometimes, and there are a number of delightful passages and descriptions in ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 15, 2016 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-lit
There are two stories in this book I'd classify as LM Montgomery on same old/same old auto-pilot. But the rest make up an impressive collection of tales, with three back-to-back stories in particular that are absolutely breathtaking; one of them actually made me cry. Keep an eye out for the story of the boy & his love of the violin...a story that plays with surprising depths of darkness, and may be some of the finest writing Mrs. Montgomery has ever put to the page.
Gale
May 12, 2013 Gale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
UNITING HEARTS ON PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

Published in 1912 this gentle book set in the Edwardian era remains a quiet treasure even a century later, for we discover the same foibles and curious choices of the human heart which are universal to mankind. Some of the twelve tales mention Anne Shirley or our "friends" from the Anne of Green Gables series, even though various PEI villages are featured. Many old love affairs are rekindled, thanks to the return to the island of one of the separated lovers
Victoria
I have read the entire series of Anne of Green Gables other than the Further Chronicles of Avonlea (about to read now) and thought that I wouldn't enjoy the stories in this book since Anne is not one of the main characters and often times she is mentioned or shows up briefly in a story. Most of the stories through this book are told from perspectives of people, and others from first person perspectives. Hopefully this will not confuse other readers, but I actually loved that there was a bunch of ...more
Gehayi
I have to rate the stories one by one. WARNING: SPOILERS FOLLOW.

The Hurrying of Ludovic

Not much actual "hurrying" is involved, since Ludovic has been courting Theodosia for fifteen years and has yet to trouble himself to propose. Anne Shirley gets Arnold Sherman, who is visiting from the States, to pretend to court Theodosia, which gets Ludovic jealous enough to ask her to marry him.

Honestly, this one left me rather flat, as I've never liked the Operation: Jealousy trope of making X jealou
Elinor  Loredan
Dec 09, 2010 Elinor Loredan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
This is a lovely book of short stories, each of which is a gem. The first time I read it I wasn't very impressed, but this second reading has revealed to me the beauty, depth, and wonderful messages that are always present in LMM's work. She expresses human emotions and desires so poignantly.

I love how each story is multi-faceted. There's something to learn from each character. I know I will revisit this book again and again!
Suzan Poisner
I enjoyed reading this light fare. With a busy holiday schedule underway, the short story structure was perfect. I appreciated how the characters in the 12 different stories interacted, building a community.

The descriptions of the setting recalled to mind my visit to PEI and the house with green gables twelve years ago; I'm sure not much has changed.
Martha
Jul 02, 2014 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gentle return to the environs of the Anne of Green Gables stories this book is written in a style that requires the reader to settle quietly in a comfortable chair and savor the time spent with a group of wonderful characters. I loved the Anne Shirley books when I was young and am so glad a friend found this at a library book sale and thought of me.
Elizabeth
LMM gets me-- she's one of my soul sisters. These stories were just what I needed these last two days. These stories are just so beautiful and melancholy and therapeutic. One of the best books of short stories ever and possibly my favorite (maybe) short story book by LMM.
Thea
Jul 27, 2014 Thea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally read this after so many years of loving Anne. I certainly wasn't disappointed, although I had been under the impression that these would be mostly Anne stories. L.M. Montgomery always has the power to make me laugh and cry, often within the same chapter.
Victoria Minks
Mar 29, 2016 Victoria Minks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite short story collections, these are delightful snippets of Avonlea life. Some of these make me literally laugh out loud--and I reread these all the time.
Madeline
Jan 28, 2014 Madeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These sweet little snippets of life, love and loss are both funny and touching. Each character is beautifully flawed and so very real. They made me feel as though I was born in the wrong century.
Gloria
Aug 12, 2016 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; historical fiction; romance
Shelves: kindle, own, duncan-ga
This is a book of short stories. Each one focuses on different people, though Anne Shirley either shows up or is mentioned in a couple of them. The focus is mostly on love, sometimes romantic, other times love of family, fondness of others, or turning to God. These are all descriptions of the actions taken in the stories; the stories themselves are MUCH better. There

The Hurrying of Ludovic
(view spoiler)
Emilia
This was sweet and not that interesting. A good enough read for me because I love the Anne of Green Gables series.
Michael Fitzgerald
Wonderful in small quantities, but quite a few of these have similar themes that don't seem so fresh after a while.
Mellosarah777
Jan 08, 2017 Mellosarah777 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moved a little slowly at times, but an enjoyable read. Several short stories seemed similar to one another, or to parts of other books L.M. Montgomery wrote. I liked the book nonetheless, though!
Tarissa
Jan 01, 2015 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chronicles of Avonlea is a collection of several short stories penned by the beloved L.M. Mongomery, author of the Anne of Green Gables series. Her stories bring out the best of emotions; blissful happiness and the bottomless pit of despair, sometimes at the same moment.

The stories in this volume include: The Hurrying of Ludovic, Old Lady Lloyd, Each in His Own Tongue, Little Joscelyn, The Winning of Lucinda, Old Man Shaw's Girl, Aunt Olivia's Beau, The Quarantine at Alexander Abraham's, Pa Sloa
Jamie
Dec 28, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a supplement to the series about Anne Shirley, L.M. Montgomery wrote isolated stories about other residents of Avonlea. While some of the stories are entertaining, they are in no particular order. Anne only appears in one or two stories, and is referenced in two others. She appears as an adult, as a child, and as a college student at various points. When she is not present it is impossible to pinpoint how the characters relate to the other stories or the time period. I found the jumping aroun ...more
Sbuchler
Genre: Classic Children’s Literature

I was really hesitant to listen to this. First, it’s a book of short stories, and as much as I enjoy L.M. Montgomery (and have read a lot of her anthologies), short stories are not her forte. Second, I had become very fond of Barbara Caruso’s performances of the other Anne books, and I don’t like Susan O’Malley’s renditions of the same stories, so I was quite trepidatious about Grace Conlin’s performance. Happily, I like Grace Conlin’s performance. Not as much
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Short stories are not my thing, and I don't know why I keep reading them, but I do. I think I'm trying to find a collection of short stories that I love as much as David Sedaris' work. But, I don't think that I'll ever love any anthology of short stories like I will a David Sedaris book so I need to stop trying.

With all that said, I read Chronicles of Avonlea because it came as part of the Anne of Green Gables series I purchased for Nook, and because I just wasn't ready to leave the Avonlea worl
Renay
Aug 21, 2009 Renay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
although it is a fun read of short stories, this book is less about anne shirley and more about the other inhabitants of the island.
and although it doesnt say so, one assumes each short story was written by either anne herself or one of the other girls in perhaps the story club, or the AVIS, and only once or twice does anne shirley even get a mention.
it is a little let down after reading the first two books - one gets swept away in the romance of a little orphan girl's life and hopes for the hap
Jaz
Reread
5/5

I just happened upon this and a few other L. M. Montgomery's in a charity shop today, vintage and almost good as new. Lucky bargain!

An absolute delight to read again. Its the kind of book I'd call heartwarming without making the "cringe" face, because its so honestly is. Each short story was drawn well with distinctive characters with quirks and giggle worthy situations, long drawn romantic estrangements or sad fates, all worth the read. Even the weaker stories were uplifting.

The ones
Carol
This collection of stories is only loosely related to the Anne books. Anne has some cameo appearances, and actually narrates one story, but they are all about new characters not included in the eight book 'Anne' series. Some names will sound familiar: Wright, Andrews, Lynde, Spencer, Pye, Sloane, but that serves to place the stories on Prince Edward Island.

The best story is "Each In His Own Tongue"; a young boy is asked to play the violin for a dying woman. Montgomery describes Felix's playing i
  • A Garland for Girls
  • The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Elusive Pimpernel
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Roads of Destiny
  • Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • Heidi's Children
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Chronicles of Avonlea (2 books)
  • Further Chronicles of Avonlea