Start by marking “Anne of Windy Poplars” as Want to Read:
Anne of Windy Poplars

Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables #4)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  51,432 Ratings  ·  1,327 Reviews
Anne Shirley has left Redmond College behind to begin a new job and a new chapter of her life away from Green Gables. Now she faces a new challenge: the Pringles. They're known as the royal family of Summerside--and they quickly let Anne know she is not the person they had wanted as principal of Summerside High School. But as she settles into the cozy tower room at Windy P ...more
Hardcover
Published 1936 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Windy Poplars, please sign up.

Loren I think it's partly because the focus of her story isn't so much Anne and Gilbert's romance as it is Anne's adventures with the characters in…moreI think it's partly because the focus of her story isn't so much Anne and Gilbert's romance as it is Anne's adventures with the characters in Summerside. The romance is set, the readers know it's there, there's no need to elaborate. It also is Montgomery's gentle humor and a chance to let the readers imagine the flowery, mushy stuff Anne might have written without having to wade through it. (less)
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Yes and no, I have copies of both and there are a few paragraphs that were cut here and there and don't appear in Windy Poplars. For example, when…moreYes and no, I have copies of both and there are a few paragraphs that were cut here and there and don't appear in Windy Poplars. For example, when Anne is in the cemetary with the seamstress there are a couple of scandal stories that were cut for no reason that I can see.(less)

Maureen
Possibly 3.5/5 but idk yet.
I still really enjoyed this book because Anne is my FAVE, but I think the back and forth between her letters to Gilbert and third person narrative was a little bit much. I didn't really love that switch and I missed Gilbert throughout this book, though I understand why he wasn't in it!
I still love Anne as a character DEARLY and I will honestly love her forever. She is so kind and compassionate and lovely and just EVERYTHING.
Anne
Aug 10, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. I think at the beginning I was a little skeptical, especially since Montgomery kept omitting the parts where Anne "had the right pen" to write love letters to Gilbert. I wanted to READ Anne's love letters!

But for all that, I loved the characters in this book. Rebecca Dew cracked me up, as did Aunt Kate and Aunt Chatty, with their buttermilk secrets; Dusty Miller the cat; Katherine Brooke; Nora Nelson and Jim Wilcox; little Elizabeth; Cyrus Taylor (oh, but that was a hilarious e
Melki
Sep 15, 2016 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"Nobody is ever too old to dream. And dreams never grow old."

I see by the reviews that a lot of Anne-fans are disappointed in this one. On this, my third reading, I must admit that I was, too. I think it is the lack of the "old familiar." Anne is away, serving as principal of a school in Summerside. Gilbert is far, far away, studying medicine. Other than letters, there is no repartee between the two. Avonlea, and her beloved residents, is only visited during the holidays and summer breaks.

There
Ahmad Sharabiani
Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables #4), L.M. Montgomery
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و پنجم سپتامبر سال 2009 میلادی
عنوان: آنی شرلی در ویندی پاپلرز- کتاب چهارم ؛ نویسنده: ال.ام. مونتگمری؛ مترجم: سارا قدیانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1386؛ در 456 ص؛ شابک: 9789645365880؛ چاپ دوم، 1388؛ چاپ چهارم 1390؛ چاپ ششم 1392؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی - قرن 20 م
این بار آن شرلی به خانهای میرود، و به مدت سه سال در آنجا ساکن میشود. این کتاب به سه بخش: سال اول، سال دوم و سال سوم، تقسیم شده و آنی در این مدت به
Elaina
~4.5 stars~

I wasn’t too sure about how I would like this book once I realized that most of it was just Anne’s letters to Gilbert—But I was pleasantly surprised by how much I did enjoy it! It could definitely be a little slow in some areas, and I don’t think it is in any way my favorite out of the series as a whole, but I am still glad I decided to continue on with this beautiful series that L.M. Montgomery has created ^_^ I am looking forward to reading the fifth book really soon because of (vie
Tiffany
Oct 20, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anne fans
Shelves: fiction
In a word....disappointing. It was good enough to finish. but it took 2 or 3 weeks to get through. This is a good indication of my interest level, because really great books keep me up at night until I finish them. This one....not so much.

I didn't care for the style--half letters from Anne to Gilbert, and half third-person, with no good reason to switch back and forth between the two. There are a ton of new characters, but the sheer volume precludes any satisfying character development. Anne see
Audrey
Anne is finished at College and is now the Principal of Summerside High School. She writes to her beloved Gilbert who is continuing his education to become a medical doctor. Anne shares her experiences with the colorful and eccentric folks at Summerside. This is another charming story that will delight all readers.
MAP
Apr 04, 2009 MAP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Please someone tell me if I'm crazy....Did Anne Shirley and a student named Lewis meet with a ghost, take a picture of him, and then when they found out he was a ghost, they took in total stride and gave the picture to his father?

Did that seriously happen in this book? Or did some of my pages have LSD on them?
Darcy
Nov 26, 2015 Darcy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Shirley is without a doubt my dearest fictional friend.
Naomi Sarah
So far, 'Anne of Windy Poplars' has to be my least favourite Anne book. This might change, because I did like it. Some bits I really liked. Some bits I found so boring I found myself taking a nap.

What I liked:
1. Windy Poplars. It sounds like such a beautiful place to live!!! Little hidey-holes and secret reading places?!!!! Yes Please. I'd love to live in Windy Poplars. (And the name is scrumptious.) (Did you know that it was originally called 'Anne of Windy WILLOWS?' They asked Montgomery
Jeanette
After reading Anne of the Island, my favorite book in the Anne series, Anne of Windy Poplars always seems to fall a little flat for me.
Anne and Gilbert are engaged and while Gilbert is off at medical school, Anne has taken a job as principal at Summerside High School.
Much of this book is made up of letters from Anne to Gilbert. I just wish there was more of Gilbert in this story like maybe some of his letters to Anne. L.M. Montgomery rarely wrote much from the hero's side in her books, something
Megan Baxter
Oct 24, 2012 Megan Baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said before that Emily is my favourite Montgomery heroine, and that holds. But that doesn't mean I don't have a huge soft spot for Anne and her life. She is much more domestic in orientation, at least in every book after this one, and that has its appeal. Ordinary life is painted in such vivid and interesting colours that it leaps off the page, putting the lie to the idea that such things are beneath our proper notice.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goo
Elizabeth
As much as I enjoy the original Anne of Green Gables , this and Anne of the Island are probably my favorites in the series. Anne's grown up, still both stubborn and dreamy, and I find it easier to read her stories at this stage of her life than when she was a small child. For similar reasons, I'm not as fond of the later books in this series, where Anne becomes a flatter, duller character, and then eventually fades to the background, letting her children's stories come to the fore-front. This ...more
Deborah Pickstone
Some people dislike this being written mainly as letters but I really enjoyed it. This has developed from a 'children's' book to HF, and well done at that, as well as a classic. Of course it wasn't HF at the time of writing!

I also saw questions raised over (view spoiler)
Arghavan
Nov 22, 2013 Arghavan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
کسالتآور بود خیلی.
و سوال: چرا هر لفظ عاشقانهی آنی به گیلبرت رو سانسور کردهبودن؟ -_- «برایت بوسه میفرستم» رو تبدیل کردهبودن به «برایت ... میفرستم.» . همین رو تعمیم بدید به سایر بخشهای عاشقانهی کتاب. -_-
و این که اونقدر کاراکترها گذرا بودن که آدم نمیتونست بشناسدشون اصلاً. توی ذهن نمیموندن هیچکدوم؛ برخلاف کتابهای قبلی.
Yukiko
Feb 19, 2017 Yukiko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had a great time reading Anne of Windy Poplars. I believe the Anne series are the sort of books that really let me lose myself in. It is a joy to see her grow up, too. I kind of miss that ill-tempered, slightly clumsy, red-headed child though. I can always revisit her anyway in Anne of Green Gables.
Leah
Feb 11, 2008 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

Ok, I have loved all of the books in this series so far, however, this one was a little...how shall I say this - eh. That's what it was. Eh.

Anne writes lots of letters to Gilbert, but we never get to see any letters that Gil writes to her. Also, lots of new characters are introduced in this book and I wonder how on earth Anne is going to keep up with all these people.

Also, Anne has officially turned into the perfect person who changes the life of everyone she meets. Honestly, does this woman hav
ade_reads
This is the fourth book in the Anne of Green Gables Series, and this is my 100th book for my Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge. Wuhuu 200%! Hehe...

Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery is fun, sweet, enchanting read. Told mostly in letters from Anne to (my) Gilbert, hehe... It's a cute story that feels a bit random. I enjoyed the new characters and there are several hilarious scenes. The dinner scene with Cyrus's family was my favorite. A visit with Anne Shirley is always nice.

Favorite quote :
Krista
May 19, 2017 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-fiction
This 4th installment of the Anne of GG series was another lovely read. It takes place during Anne's 3 year tenure as principal at a school in Summerside PEI. The format alternates between letters Anne writes to Gilbert and 3rd person narrative of events. I particularly liked the letters and hearing stories from Anne's voice. The pace seemed a bit slow because the book was almost a stream of little vignettes of different characters Anne meets during these three years.

I particularly liked hearing
Allison Anderson Armstrong
Though I am loving the overall story, after reading all these books in such short succession, I'm realizing how unrealistic Anne is. She gets everybody to love her! (Well, almost everybody - I guess Montgomery felt guilty about this and threw in that one unreasonable female character who ends up getting mad at Anne for no good reason.) Its getting to the point that I'm almost annoyed about how "lovable" she is - maybe I'm just jealous, but the way people "fall in love" with her instantaneously i ...more
Liisa
Jun 20, 2017 Liisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, childrens, 2017
These books continue to be lovely, light and quick - perfect for the summer time, reading in the sun. I did kind of miss hearing from some of my favorite characters, though the new ones are enjoyable and quite hilarious to read about as well.
Mina
Apr 14, 2017 Mina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a little less than the others, but it was still good.
Lydia Presley
My memory of Anne of Windy Poplars is.. non-existent. It's been so long since I've read the books and I see the PBS movies (which are wonderful in their own right) once or twice throughout the year, so it's easy to forget that Anne of Avonlea (the movie edition) is a mix-match of several books in the series.

In Anne of Windy Poplars the dreaded Pringles make their appearance. And it's oh so much more than the movie shows. They are so dreadful, each and every one of them, but everything else is an
Lady
Nov 07, 2011 Lady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Anne has morphed into Mary Sue. In other news, bears shit in the woods.

I'm beginning to believe that LM Montgomery wrote the Anne books as an escapist fantasy for herself, as Anne is so utterly impossible a creature - with Anne's background, she would be permanently damaged psychologically, and this happy horseshit of "Oh, [insert name here]! Isn't [insert random natural phenomenon here] wonderful? Isn't it splendid to know that tomorrow will always come?" is simply unbelievable.

People like Kath
Tara
Aug 24, 2013 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Years ago in my early teens I voraciously read the first 3 Anne books and was ready to devour the rest of the series. But this particular book was not available in the library. I couldn't bear to skip a book, so I stopped, intending to begin again when I laid my hands on this book. Years went by and finishing the series dropped in priority. But recently, I decided to pick up the series again on my kindle. Well 2 books are missing from the audio series due to copyright laws, and once again I almo ...more
Georgiana 1792
Nov 27, 2010 Georgiana 1792 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was always something about Anne Shirley's eyes when she said "please" that people found hard to resist

Mentre per quanto concerne il secondo episodio di Anne, l'impressione che sia un romanzo interlocutorio, un romanzo di raccordo è solo un'impressione, Anne of Windy Poplars lo è realmente. Scritto nel 1936, 21 anni dopo Anne of the Island, che lo precede, e 19 anni dopo Anne's House of Dreams, che "segue", questo romanzo serve solo a riempire i tre anni in cui Anne e Gilbert sono separati
K.
Oct 30, 2011 K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girls-bookshelf
I thought this one was going to be pretty lame from the very boring letters "to Gilbert" which it begins with. Once those were mostly over the book was more delightful than the last one. The story of the sulking Mr. Cyrus Taylor was fabulous.

Although they were funny, there were too many ill-humored cranks in this book...are there really that many in a small population? The book seemed more like a sort-of inter-related series of short stories than a plotted novel, but they stories were fun, so i
Marnie  Krüger
I'm a bit disappointed with this book.

Omitting what Anne wrote to Gilbert in her love letters seemed mean, I would so love to know what she wrote.
And Anne was very meddling in others relationships, which I really didn’t like.

Still I can’t wait to read the next book, the great wedding and the Blythe House of dreams.
Tamsen
Apr 15, 2009 Tamsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, young-adult
Reread September 5, 2016.
˗ˏˋ maja ˎˊ˗
niestety, ta część w porównaniu do poprzednich wypadła najgorzej. podobała mi się, bo to Ania, ale i tak nieco się nudziłam podczas jej czytania...
Goodreads Librari...: Anne of Windy Poplars 3 18 Jul 08, 2017 08:02AM
Play Book Tag: Anne of Windy Poplars by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 10 Jun 10, 2017 02:38PM
Audiobooks: New Anne of green gables audio 1 38 May 04, 2017 10:32AM
Kindred Spirits: The famous Pringle Pound Cake!! 2 27 Mar 23, 2015 12:07PM
Anne of Green Gables 5 51 Mar 29, 2014 07:48AM
Books in order? 17 120 Mar 28, 2014 07:50AM
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • Under the Lilacs
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Just Patty
  • Ida sierpniowa (Jeżycjada, #4)
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday

“Gilbert, I'm afraid I'm scandalously in love with you.” 144 likes
“But I believe I rather like superstitious people. They lend color to life. Wouldn't it be a rather drab world if everybody was wise and sensible . . . and good? What would we find to talk about?” 115 likes