Start by marking “Glenraven (Glenraven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Glenraven (Glenraven, #1)

Glenraven (Glenraven #1)

Sophie had lost a child. She was looking for peace and rest. She didn't know what it was, but Glenraven promised her that. JayJay had bad luck with husbands -- a three-time loser now, all she wanted was to be a million miles away from her small North Carolina town.Glenraven seemed to be an Alpine principality somewhere in the neighborhood of northern Italy -- according to ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Baen Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Glenraven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glenraven

Simon Mcleish
Jan 10, 2013 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on my blog here in December 2001.

One of the perennial difficulties for the fantasy novelist who wants to involve earthly characters is how to take them to the scene of the action. (Once there, they pay the author back by requiring explanations of what is around them, making exposition easier and seemingly more natural.) I don't recall the precise device used in Glenraven occurring anywhere else, however, and it is always nice to see something new.

When Jayjay's marriage break
Thepaganpuzzler
Feb 17, 2010 Thepaganpuzzler rated it really liked it
This is not exactly rocket science, it's a light romance with the touch of the supernatural and vampirism. But if you believe in magic, or even if you don't, if you feel like snuggling down for the night with a cup of hot chocolate and letting the world go by, this is a great read!
Carmen
Nov 19, 2013 Carmen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
A book about two women who travel to another dimension, called Glenraven. They then fight to free it from its evil ruler.
Angie86
Feb 01, 2012 Angie86 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Glenraven ist ein sehr interessantes Land, das von Marion Zimmer Bradley und Holly Lisle erschaffen wurde. Die Landschaftsbeschreibungen und die Darstellung der Lebensweise sind sehr gelungen. Es wirkt wie ein Paradies, in dem die Zeit stehen geblieben ist, denn es herrschen die Hygienebedingungen des Mittelalters.
Leider sind die Ortsnamen sehr gewöhnungsbedürftig, deshalb war es sehr schwer, den Überblick zu behalten. Eine Karte des Landes wäre hilfreich gewesen.
Auch die Rassenstruktur des Volk
mara
Jan 02, 2017 mara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
One of my all-time favorite comfort-food books; you know—those books you always return to when you need something familiar, comforting, and escapist. This book is it. I can't quite give it 5 stars but 4.5 would be close.
Nick
Jun 17, 2009 Nick rated it liked it
Well, sort of historical fantasy. It takes place in modern times, but in a place that is medieval and fantastical in nature.
Both authors have turned in better work, but this one had a lot of good moments. For me, the weakest aspect was that so much of the action was outside the control of any single character, even the villain. The whole thing felt like a runaway train at times, especially during the climactic battle scene, and it was moderately unclear what some of the prophecies and omens real
Felicity
Jun 12, 2012 Felicity rated it liked it
In the genre of middleaged (if you think middleaged means thirty something which I don't) women end up in improbable alternate fantasy world by riding mountain bikes from Tuscany and then save said world and make everything better and, oh yeah, find true love, or at least one of them does, this book is quite possibly king. Or queen. Or something. It's a more or less entertaining read, anyway, and you can skip the dreary parts by counting the vast number of fantasy tropes that get worked into eve ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I read this so long ago. I do remember thinking it was quite a lovely fantasy because of the world - Glenraven. It reminds me of two other stories I really enjoyed. One is Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword mixed with a bit of Oz. I liked the complexity of the world and the two heroines. When two people who are average and still make such an impact, it is a message I like. Basically, if people work together and put their mind to it, amazing feats can be accomplished.
Camila Reinehr
Mar 30, 2014 Camila Reinehr rated it liked it
Esse é o tipo de livro que considero ideal para apresentar o universo de fantasia para adolescentes. Co-escrito pela autora de As Brumas de Avalon, Glenraven é um romance legal de ler, onde duas mulheres do nosso mundo são jogadas em outro e tem que lidar com as adversidade para sobreviver e entender tudo o que está acontecendo a sua volta.
É uma história para crianças e adolescentes bem simples, mas encantadora. Ideal para passar o tempo.
Lisa
Jan 17, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book was co-written by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Holly Lisle, and there's a second book in the series which I'm also going to get my hands on so I can find out what happened to JayJay and Mathiall.
Stacy
Apr 12, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it
Time honored concept of getting into something unexpected & finding the lost way from our world. Done well & the adventure is one to remember. I think of the Thomas Covenant books and I don't have any inclination to repeat that exasperating experience but this was much more satisfying.
Nicole
Aug 10, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Need an escape? This is it. Needed some more backstory, and now I want another. But other than that I liked it.
Susan
Nov 11, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Kinda makes you check the travel-book shelf a bit more closely... I mean if there were one with a cover by Clyde Caldwell, I'd have to start saving some dinero...
Isil
Sep 07, 2008 Isil rated it it was ok
Shelves: xxe, usa, fantasy
C'est une classique histoire de fantasy sans grand intérêt en soi, remplie de clichés mais ce n'est pas désagréable à lire et finalement, je me suis laissée prendre au jeu.
bizzy
bizzy rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Maggi
Maggi rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2009
Melesse
Melesse rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Glanraven
Glanraven rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Chris N
Chris N rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2014
The Shaw
The Shaw rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2010
Ollivier
Ollivier rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2011
BookeWyrm
BookeWyrm rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Amber Nelson
Amber Nelson rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Birgit Wahl
Birgit Wahl rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Jacqueline Miller
Jacqueline Miller rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Dveith
Dveith rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2010
Callum Muir
Callum Muir rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Promillefee
Promillefee rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
May 25, 2013
  • Minerva Wakes
  • Drachenfeuer
  • The Rose Sea
  • The Godmother's Apprentice (Godmother, #2)
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • The Otherworld (SERRAted Edge, #2-3)
  • Timeless Healing
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Glenraven (2 books)
  • In the Rift (Glenraven, Book 2)