Hitler's Scientists: Science, War, and the Devil's Pact

Hitler's Scientists: Science, War, and the Devil's Pact

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  37 reviews
From the bestselling author of Hitler's Pope comes a gripping in-depth account of Germany's horrific abuse of science and its consequences--then and now.
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2003 by Listen & Live Audio (first published January 1st 2001)

Wendy Kobylarz-Chouvarda
This was boring as shit. That's about all I have to say. It took me two years to read it. But I was turned off it early on for the author's take on Hitler's alleged vegetarianism. I have seen it said Hitler was a veg, and I have also seen it that he ate pheasant. Therefore, he was not a vegetarian. Regardless of whether he was, the author presents Hitler as an ignoramus who thought he knew all about science but did not -- and this does not seem farfetched to me -- but the section at the beginnin...more
Erik Graff
Aug 06, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
I picked up this book as a corrective to the stuff I've read and seen about Nazi 'wonder weapons' during WWII--things like 'foo fighters', flying saucers, antigravity devices and the like. While they are glancingly mentioned as unrealized projects, this book actually has a much broader and more serious agenda.

Cornwall writes in a variety of fields (religion, philosophy and literature as well as history) and this, while principally a history of German science and technology from WWI through WWII,...more
Glenn
Good stuff.

The author probes the idea of healing in the Nazi regime. This is not the typical book relating the ghastly deeds of of Hitler's Scientists, although there is a bit of that to be sure. However, the focus is on figuring out how doctors and scientists went completely counter to their roles and duties as public servants - to do no harm.

He tackles how these forces actually changed attitudes, not that the doctors were simply following orders, but their intrinsic belief in what they were do...more
Friedrich Haas
From the outside, everyone looks at the German War Machine of WW2 as awesome, high-tech, efficient, nearly unstoppable, but for the combined volume of Russian soldiers and American equipment. As you study the inside, it is amazing that it did as well as it did in spite of the chaotic, capricious, egotistical, uninformed, self-destructive way it was run. Hitler was truly his own worst enemy, a passionately driven, amateur, a cunning political operative, but a military hack, crippled by the very...more
Heikki
Hitler's Scientists

A terrifying book, if you think of what might have been

John Cornwell has produced a book that is at the same time gripping as a detective novel, readable as a John Grisham book, and terrifying like the very best horror stories by H.P. Lovecraft. In this 500 page book is the entire spectrum of Nazi science from basic research to its gruesome applications in the concentration camps, and from utterly useful processes for producing nitrogen fertilizers to the Vergeltungswaffen and...more
Ray
Some books don't live up to the promise of the Title, while others, like this one, give more than expected from the title alone. Cornwell discusses many of Germany's leading scientists, some of whom chose to leave their homeland as the Nazi's came to power, others who felt compelled to stay due to their Nationalistic feelings, and others who willingly and knowingly participated in the racist philosophy of the Nazi's. But the book also give a lot of historical context of the era, from WWI up to a...more
Jacob Antony
Apr 21, 2008 Jacob Antony rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Jacob by: Myself
As I struggled to wrap my (figurative) hands over my twisted and warped ideas about the Nazis and what they did to millions of Jews, I decided that it was time to find out the truth.
And so I was thrust down into the pages of a world of tyranny, prejudice, greed, threats, twisted idealisms, and pure pandemonium.
As the brilliant minds of the Manhattan Project toiled in the United States, the Nazi scientists of Hitler were embarking on a series of attempts to create the ultimate weapons. Such of...more
John Gordon
This is an interesting read of a different perspective of the Third Reich, namely that of the Nazi scientists and their activities. The book stretches from World War One to the War on Terror and poses some thoughtful perspectives regarding whether science (knowledge) can be pursued independently of politics, and therefore ultimate responsibility. Some frightening things were done under the Nazi regime and it amazes me that educated and intelligent people condoned and conducted these activities....more
Sandra Woods
My Remembrance Day tradition is to read a book about the military or military service, including UN missions and accounts of civilians in wartime situations.
Hitler's Scientists is a very scary illustration of how scientists can themselves become weapons, and of the power wielded by the Nazi regime over science in Germany and the countries under its control.
This book should be required reading for anyone studying or working in any field of science, medicine, bioethics, politics, and philosophy.
Katie
Not a good book to choose as an audio book because it was very dense and I couldn't easily flip back and look up names or people I had forgotten along the way. It covered a wide range of scientists and sciences during WWI and WWII. Although I definitely didn't get as much out of this book from listening as I would have through reading, I was struck by two things: science shouldn't be done in a moral vacuum, and how important community and communication is to scientific discovery. I might come ba...more
Smonroe
This was an excellent book full of detailed information. I was amazed at the names that later became famous for many varieties of science that were involved with the Third Reich, and also to hear stories of those who stood up to Hitler and his cronies.

Each chapter takes on a different aspect of science in Germany from the 1900s through the 1950s, concentrating on their impact during the Second World War.

A good half inch of the back of the book is indexing and the foot notes proving the author's...more
This look at science before, during and after WWII in Germany is at once fascinating and frustrating. While I learned a few things I didn't know before, most of the time I found the writing too top-level and distant. The author skims the various topics and doesn't linger long enough on any of them. Overall it felt disjointed and too spotty. The stories were interesting but not well told. It read more like a dry history text-book with no spark or life. I actually recall a history text-book or two...more
Hadrian
Pleasantly surprised with this one. Title seemed indicative of an exploitative 'oh-the-horror' book, but this was a well-researched analysis of the ethical dilemmas which faced the brilliant German scientists of the era. Covers several technical areas, and eras ranging from WWI (Fritz Haber is an especially interesting case) to the Cold War. Hitler's astonishing ignorance of technical affairs played a role in Germany's misapplied research programs in WW2.

A necessary and interesting book.
David Glad
Maybe I have just gone through too many (audio)books, but really felt the same information could be had elsewhere and in probably more complete form as it seemed even the History Channel (talking 90s when they had some real content.. before Ancient Aliens and other supernatural shows took over) would give this book a run for its money. It seemed another book that was more a sampler/potential starting point rather than being an authority.
Recato Cristiano
It is sad when authors try to give us "new" history. For instance Albert Speer was never a member of the NAZI-party. You only have to read Speer's "Inside the Third Reich" that he did not. At Nürnberg he was found not guilty on the charge of belonging to the NAZI-party.

So why the author mentions briefly that Speer was a member is totally the opposite to what history teaches us.

Just had to get that off my chest.
Patrick Book
This is not so chilling or dramatic a book as the cover and blurbs would imply. It is, however, a thorough and thoughtful examination of not only the actions of scientists during a dark period of human history but also thought-provoking analysis of the moral implications of their action (or inaction, as the case may be). It was a bit of a slog at times but on the whole a piece worth considering.
Steve
Definately worth the read...it's nice to read something aboutt WWII from a British perspective and the author definately opened my eyes on how the German scientific community played (or failed to play) a role in Hitler's Third Reich. Chemical warfare, the development of the rocket program and the dealings that the scientific community from Nazi leaders was truly interesting.
Fernando del Alamo
"Los científicos de Hitler" es el título de este libro en castellano. El autor explica muchos tejemanejes de lo que fue de los científicos durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, planteando muchas cuestiones éticas sobre cuál debe ser el papel del científico en el caso de una guerra: ¿debe ayudar a su país o no hacerlo?. El libro es muy recomendable e interesante.
Keith
A fascinating read on German science from prior to WWI to the 1950's. It was most interesting to me because it told the a story about WWII that is overlooked in most books on this topic. My main complaint was that sometimes it is hard to keep up with some of the theories, especially if you take a few breaks in the middle of a chapter.
Olivia Waite
Picked this up at the Smithsonian, after seeing quite a few German planes from WWII. Very readable, though it felt as though his thesis got a little more lost than I'd like. The parts where he stood up and took a stand on, for instance, Heisenberg's culpability, were quite rich and well-crafted.
Erin
Definitely a very important read for anyone in the sciences.
Oliver Hazan
An excellent book which demonstrates - one more time - that the very evil of Germany's goals is what caused Germany to lose WWII. The most gifted scientists by and large left Germany, and the remaining ones had weird agendas and limited resources.
L.meijerink
Niet kapot van, interessante visie op 2e wereldoorlog vanuit wetenschappelijk oog punt. Weinig echte diepgang en in sommige fragmenten over gedetailleerd. De status van het Duitse kernwapen programma was zeer interessant.
Namrirru
Interesting, well written, and well resourced. The book is not just about the scientists and politicians who shaped warfare during WW1 and WW2, but it also clearly explains the science and the political backdrop.
Trish
A fascinating study of scientists and scientific persuits leading up to and during WWII. Covers both the true science and how science became corrupted as the course of the war continued.
Pierre-Luc Lévesque
Un must pour tous mes amis physiciens. Fût une époque ou être scientifique n'était pas aussi simple ... attendez un peu, mais c'est encore compliqué en 2010
Marissa
Phenomenal. A very politically neutral book on a topic that is almost impossible to be neutral on. I loved how carefully the author treated the subject.
Richard
I only read about 1/2 of this book ( up to page 215 or so ? ). Kinda lost interest in it, but maybe I'll pick it up again at a later date ....
Patrick
An interesting look at the scientists that work for Hitler during World War II and their creativity under very difficult circumstances.
  • The Master Plan: Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust
  • The Devil's Disciples: Hitler's Inner Circle
  • The First War of Physics: The Secret History of the Atom Bomb, 1939-1949
  • Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust, and the David Irving Trial
  • Seizing the enigma: The race to break the German U-boat codes, 1939-1943
  • Masters of Death: The SS-Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust
  • The Greatest Battle: Stalin, Hitler, and the Desperate Struggle for Moscow That Changed the Course of World War II
  • The Last 100 Days
  • The Third Reich: A New History
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest in Europe
  • Nazi Germany and the Jews: The Years of Persecution, 1933-1939
  • Brighter than a Thousand Suns: A Personal History of the Atomic Scientists
  • The World Was Going Our Way: The KGB & the Battle for the Third World
  • A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II
  • The Nazis: A Warning from History
  • Battle of Wits: The Complete Story of Codebreaking in World War II
  • The Bitter Road to Freedom: A New History of the Liberation of Europe
  • Kristallnacht: Prelude to Destruction (Making History)
Hitler's Pope A Thief in the Night: Life and Death in the Vatican Seminary Boy: A Memoir The Pontiff in Winter: Triumph and Conflict in the Reign of John Paul II Darwin's Angel   An Angelic Riposte To   The God Delusion