Start by marking “Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point, #1)

Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point #1)

Be careful what you wish for...One day, dayne Kuttner, a nurse, couldn't take it anymore. Sick at heart from doctors ordering her to maintain the life in patients who were already dead, saving people who didn't want the help, and most of all angry over the thought her recently deceased husband would rot in Hell for an eternity on a technicality, Dayne threw up a challenge ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Baen Books (first published December 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sympathy for the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sympathy for the Devil

YouKneeK
Aug 23, 2015 YouKneeK rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think I just got tricked into reading a romance book. When I was about 75% through the book I suddenly realized that, despite the oddly amusing premise, most of the story centered around the relationship between… well, I guess that would be a spoiler.

This book was nearly as bizarre as the last book I read, in a different sort of way. Unlike that last book, however, this story had internal consistency so I was able to focus on the story without constantly arguing with the book in my mind. I gu
Thisdaydreamer
Aug 08, 2011 Thisdaydreamer rated it really liked it
Be careful what you pray for. Nurse Dayne Kuttner manages the very rarest kind of prayer - the true-hearted kind that always gets answered. Unfortunately, the answer she gets, although it technically is what she asked for, literally lets all Hell loose. Well, not all of it. But more than enough to complicate her life more than she ever dreamed possible and making her home state the temporary home for demons of every description. Silly and fun.
Ana
Jul 21, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Dragana
Mar 06, 2011 Dragana rated it it was amazing
The amount of details in this book is amazing. Is it a coincident that Lucifer is Libra just like me?
Dec 25, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I first read Sympathy for the Devil in the mid90s. I think I paid full price for it at Barnes and Noble on a whim. It became one of my favorite books. It's only available in paperback and, sadly, the binding gave out. I forgot about it until I spotted a copy of the book (with the glue still intact on the binding) at Half Price Books a couple of days ago.

I reread The Screwtape Letters recently. As I read the book, I understood Holly Lisle's forward better. The book is an homage to CS Lewis. Just
Norma
Aug 16, 2010 Norma rated it it was amazing
I've read it twice...need I say more!!
Geoff Young
Sep 09, 2015 Geoff Young rated it liked it
Super fast read. Neat idea, well executed. Characters are a bit thin, but this is an extended thought exercise that almost reads like parable or allegory, so depth isn't necessarily required. Light, good for what it is.

Was interested in reading something from Lisle after discovering her "notecarding" technique for creating plots. Her entire web site is quite useful if you write fiction.
Pat Cummings
Dec 30, 2014 Pat Cummings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a copy of this novel without the "Devil's Point Book 1" designation, and I'm pleased by the implication that there is a sequel on the way. It's very witty, has a thrilling plot line, and serves up more than one wicked (I do mean WICKED) gimmick that will please anyone who loves clever wordplay.

Like the movie Dogma? You'll love Sympathy for the Devil.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Oct 27, 2011 Kagama-the Literaturevixen rated it did not like it
I re-read this book twice now,once 5 years ago and this year. Maybe I was hoping Id matured enough to understand this book.

Well ive matured but only to fully understand the strangeness of this book...and its characters...

I felt uneasy about how it felt like she took a stance for the euthanasia side. Patients shouldnt suffer but, if she felt patients were suffering unduly she could have taken it to an higher authority,there are people who can decide in matters of medicine ethics.(at least in my c
Peter Tillman
Jun 10, 2016 Peter Tillman rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed "Sympathy for the Devil,"
wherein the Hellspawn tempt contemporary North
Carolinians, with amusing results. An "A+" book, well-written,
light. witty and very funny. Highly recommended. "The Devil and
Dan Cooley", the sequel, is entertaining but weaker.
Katharina Gerlach
I very much enjoyed this book. I loved the way hellish bureaucracy worked, and loved the humorous idea of god and his angels. Also, the story was full of interesting twists and turns and kept me captivated to the end.

The characters were very believable. The nurse was just the kind of person I would have liked for a friend. The devils were just devilish enough to entertain but, due to the restrictions god put on them, not scary. That was good because there was a deeply humorous undertone to this
Ross
Sep 09, 2012 Ross rated it liked it
An interesting and creative take on Heaven and Hell, with a smattering of romance and humor everywhere in between. Holly Lisle has fun with the concepts God, Satan, Fallen Angels, and redemption, but overall Sympathy for the Devil remains a light and airy (and mostly cutesy) book that toys with the ideas contained within rather than explore their more interesting ramifications. GoodReads lists it as #1 in a series. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to pick up any more in the same universe, bu ...more
Kristen
Jul 24, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it
This was a well written story and makes you think.
T.L. Bodine
May 09, 2012 T.L. Bodine rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I was geared up and excited to like this book. And, for the most part, it was enjoyable enough -- sometimes even charming. But it ultimately fell a little flat for me. Dayne doesn't really change in any interesting or meaningful way, the dialogue is stilted, and none of the conflicts were agonizing enough. It was fun, but after having read so much really wonderful writing advice from Holly Lisle, I was really expecting something special.
Jeremy Stephens
Apr 28, 2011 Jeremy Stephens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2011
This book is a lot like Neil Gaiman's book, American Gods in that it is a hysterical story in which divine activities center on one completely ordinary person. I couldn't put this book down. Both heaven and hell are presented in a humorous manner which leaves the reader thinking that the modernized presentation of both places is at once creative yet in many ways a sort of allegory for Christian Ideology of heaven, hell, God and the devil.
Ken
Jun 01, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it
I discovered Holly Lisle through a series of articles on writing, posted on her website. I was intrigued enough to try her first novel and was glad I did. The book touches on familiar themes of good and evil, heaven and hell, and the excesses of modern medicine. Yet there's a constant undercurrent of humor that lifts the book above the mundane, and makes for an enjoyable read. I'll definitely be back for the next in the trilogy.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I read this book and felt rather confused. Ms. Lisle did an excellent job of mind fucking and getting people to feel sympathy for the Devil. From a Christian standpoint, BLASPHEMY! I felt ill at ease and needed to remind myself it's only a fiction book.

The world building is creating and the characters are endearing. This is a good book to read for a "what if" scenario. Ms. Lisle writes a smooth and fun book to enjoy.
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

This is a sweet book, where the good prevails the evil. I enjoyed the easy-flowing dialogue, the whimsical characters and the lightness of the whole reading experience. I might proceed to other books in the Devil's Point series.

Holly Lisle, the author of the book, is a great teacher of writing: check out her books and classes, I highly recommend them!
Louis
Sep 11, 2010 Louis rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy set in modern times. The premise is someone with pure motive as prayed to God to allow the denizens of Hell a chance to repent.

This is pure entertainment. And it really is a romance/comedy novel set as modern fantasy. So plenty of silliness. But the end was so over the top cheesy that I wish I stopped reading before I reached the end.
Stasia
Feb 09, 2012 Stasia rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice. Once when I was much younger and I liked it then. I am older now, and recently re-read it, and enjoyed it just as much plus understood different aspects that eluded me when I was younger.

I will always love this book, because it has provided me with one of my favorite monologues. (Dayne's prayer.) LOVE LOVE LOVE! <3
Reetta
Aug 29, 2011 Reetta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Holly Lisle has said that every scene in the book is a Candy Bar Scene for her. That is, a scene that really touched her with joy or anger, and a scene that she looked forward to writing.

The book reads well and has a brisk pace. It could maybe be a little longer but that's the only complaint I have about it. Sterling book.
Jenna
Jan 18, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chandra
Lols, awesome book!!! The premise sounded like it could end up cheesy, but it was far from it. A girl's fervent prayer sends Hell into North Carolina, including the fallen angel Agonostis. Unfortunately for Lucifer, things don't go quite as he expected them to. It's sort of romantic, but not very.
Chris
May 11, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Pretty good. Lisle makes a real effort to take the whole God aspect seriously, while keeping it approachable. It's still a goofy concept, but handled better than I expected. I didn't know it was part of a series, though, so will have to see...
Blurb
Jun 17, 2009 Blurb rated it it was ok
I really like this author, but this book feels like a pretty early effort. It's hard to be creative with heaven/hell plots and this book falls into all of the standard devices (Hell as an office, etc)...

[read on Wattpad:]
Edward Becerra
Oct 09, 2011 Edward Becerra rated it really liked it
A fun fantasy read, though it would send some of my more Fundamentalist neighbors into fits of frothing rage.

It explores the meaning of love and forgiveness, and does so in an entertaining manner.

I recommend it.
Elizabeth Ellen
Nov 30, 2011 Elizabeth Ellen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this story. The MC was spot-on as a CPR nurse: kind, practical, intelligent. Loved the view of goings-on from Heaven and Hell. I'll look forward to reading more of Ms. Lisle's books.
Samantha
May 30, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Rather delightful, definitely influenced by Screwtape et al. I liked it a lot.
Joss
Feb 06, 2011 Joss rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
I read this online at Baen Free Library, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Luci
Nov 30, 2010 Luci rated it it was ok
Light, predictable fluff, but still entertaining.
Mattm_uk
Jul 28, 2011 Mattm_uk rated it really liked it
One of the few books I have read in one sitting.
  • Forward the Mage (Joe's World, #2)
  • Sentry Peak (War Between the Provinces, #1)
  • Great Kings' War
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Earthweb
  • The Otherworld (SERRAted Edge, #2-3)
  • A Logic Named Joe
  • Planetfall
  • The Lion of Farside (Farside, #1)
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Sleipnir
  • The Sea Hag
  • Resonance
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • Sunrise Alley
  • West Of Honor
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t
More about Holly Lisle...

Devil's Point (3 books)
  • The Devil and Dan Cooley (Devil's Point, #2)
  • Hell on High (Devil's Point, #3)