Start by marking “Crooked Tree” as Want to Read:
Crooked Tree

Crooked Tree

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
"An intelligent horror story with skin-crawling entertainment. Crooked Tree is one of the rare books that uses Indian lore with intelligence and respect. The result is an unusual thriller whose supernatural roots are native witchcraft and the werewolf-like concept of 'the Grizzly Woman'."
---Denver Post

"An intense, meticulously researched thriller that handles Native Americ
Published May 8th 2006 (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Crooked Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked Tree

Lisa Sandberg
Jan 13, 2015 Lisa Sandberg rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: My mom.
4 out of 5 stars.

My mom recommended this book to me. She said it freaked her out when she read it. I can't say it freaked me out or scared me so much. It did hold my interest.

I was more interested in the Indian folklore and legends of the Ottawa tribe. I don't know if the Bearwalk legend or The Feast of the Dead ritual are true or not,I researched it and didn't come up with much. I know the Ottawa were very real.

The story is based in Northern Michigan, and the Crooked Tree State Forest. People
Linda
Jan 08, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Normally I am not drawn to stories of spirit possession from the dark side. I prefer to keep my mind in the Light. That said, what did attract me to this book was the Native American legend that is woven throughout this tale along with the setting of the Michigan wilderness. I did not feel fear or frightened in any way as many of the other reviewers noted. If there is anything here to be afraid of it's the human element of fear that can turn rational, logical people into a blood thirsty possee l ...more
Linda
Dec 19, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michigan-stories
This book terrified me when my sister gave it to me as Christmas present in 1980! We had a wood stove in our family room in Maryland (not Michigan - didn't matter) and I remember going out to get a load of wood for the stove after dark. I'd been so engrossed in the book that when I heard a noise in the woods I totally freaked, dropped the wood and ran into the house, locked the door and sat in the cold the rest of the night. Oh, but I did finish the freaky book. This is one of the best thrillers ...more
Addy
Apr 11, 2013 Addy rated it liked it
I thought this book was pretty good. I especially loved the Indian legend. A little slow at some parts, but it had enough flow to keep me intrigued. The descriptions were too wordy for me at times, but a very enjoyable read overall.
Hannah
Aug 22, 2014 Hannah rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-books
I wanted to so badly to like Crooked Tree. Ok, maybe I picked it up based on the cover. (Giant bear-person eating someone? Yes!) But I read great reviews, too.

Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. The characters felt very flat, and despite some initial promising connections to Native American lore, it all fell through. It read like a made-for-tv movie- some gory scenes, too much conversation that went nowhere, not enough respect for the characters.

The story painted both Native Americans
Rob Bliss
A high 3, this was good. Well-written and entertaining and it covers horror ground few books tread. Also educational! And I love the cover with the second page reveal of what's going on with the bear peering through the trees! Bears aren't often used as horror monsters, so nicely done.
Lisa Murray
I felt like I was reading the equivalent of JAWS. I just became really restless and uncomfortable with a pervading sense of something ominous--in the guise of bears lurking in the woods.
W.M.J. Kreucher
Apr 18, 2015 W.M.J. Kreucher rated it it was amazing
Great read for those interested in Native American lore and Michigan settings.

Congratulations on the movie deal.
Diane Wachter
HB-B @ 1980, 11/86. Indian lore woven into an intelligent horror story. Thriller. Okay.
Jennifer England
Jan 29, 2015 Jennifer England rated it it was amazing
Quite different. Enjoyed this book. Was a suggestion by one of my customers. Glad I read this.
M
Jan 22, 2015 M marked it as abandoned
Great. There are TWO contemporary authors named "Robert Charles Wilson." This one was not for me.
Matt Diamond
Mar 29, 2013 Matt Diamond rated it liked it
I love native american myths and legends and i heard they will film this in my area. (Rumur anyway heard jonny depp might take the lead he liked this book) So this one started out really strong had me on the edge of my seat. It was unnerving but severly dissapointed with the ending! WHAT! where did the story go?! Just seemed like the author ran outta inspiration and just came up with a ending that didnt match the ceativity and suspence of the first 3/4ths of the book. It was a good read tho. hop ...more
Lee
Jun 09, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I read this book more than 30 years ago and I still remember it. It scared the hell out of me and I'm not prone to that sort of reaction. I've spent a lot of time in that neck of the woods (one of my favorite restaurants is Legs Inn; one of my top-five all-time places I love to be is the shoreline above Cross Village) so I really identified with the characters and could see and smell the locations. This novel became a family favorite -- we passed it around until it fell apart and we had to buy a ...more
Victoria Valentine
Sep 14, 2011 Victoria Valentine rated it it was amazing
Crooked Tree was one of the best horror books I've ever read. Mr. Wilson is one hell of a writer who describes details and scenes so well, you feel you're there. The bear attack in the opening scene was so vivid and scary AND REALISTIC it raised the hairs on the back of my neck. This is a thick book - and I read it in only a few sittings. I thought there was a Crooked Tree movie in the works and was disappointed to learn it wasn't going to happen.
Jobie
Jun 15, 2013 Jobie rated it it was ok
This book could have been a pioneer in its day, however reading it in 2013 after there has been a craze of shape-shifting suspense books and movies on the market, it felt trite. Willing to bet that 30 years ago it was incredible, so it's not fair of me to judge in that regard. I read it because there was talk of Johnny Depp turning this into a movie that would be filmed in the Hocking Hills. Not sure if that came to fruition.
Horizon
Apr 16, 2010 Horizon rated it really liked it
"Jaws" of the Northern Michigan woods. This fast paced horror novel based in Northern Michigan surrounds a small town suddenly ravaged by killer bears. Swirling with Native American legends and fairly graphic killings, this book is a classic horror novel with no bells and whistles, just the stuff of nightmares.
Robert
Apr 16, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it
Lisa
Apr 02, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read for those interested in Native American Indian lore, MIchigan area tales and geography. Familiar with Michigan landscape? You will see the landscape youa re familiar with as you read Wilson's intriguing account.
Maureen
Jun 16, 2014 Maureen rated it it was amazing
An absolute must read for anyone who lives in Northern Michigan, or who wants to venture into the wilds of our forests...
Nancy W.
May 17, 2010 Nancy W. rated it it was amazing
As a Michigan resident, I enjoyed this book very much. Had me on the edge of my seat with suspence. It will make you feel differently walking through the woods and camping. I recommend this book.
Suzanne
Mar 29, 2009 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-suspense
This was an interesting book about Ottawa legends coming back to life in Northern Michigan - kept me on the edge of my seat. Not my normal reading, but fun for a change.
Tfeenstra
Sep 26, 2010 Tfeenstra rated it liked it
not the best writing but a very intrigueing story. i was completely engaged! we also went to sleeping bear right after so that was a cool connection. thanks nancy!
Bert
Apr 03, 2012 Bert rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic. I believe it took place in NOrthern Michigan where I spent my childhood. If you are into American Indian Folklore you have to give this a read
Valerie
Jul 27, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it
Took me a while to get through, but love reading stories about where I live. Ottawa folk-lore and the wilderness in Michigan :) Thanks Cherise!
Charles
Dec 06, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A pretty good book set in wild lands. I'm a sucker for horror stories that take place in the woods. This one involves an Indian Legend.
Ross
Nov 03, 2008 Ross rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Spooky book about a Native American curse in the woods of northern Michigan. Very interesting.
Wandac
Feb 12, 2012 Wandac rated it did not like it
Couldn't get this one going. Quit after 100 pages which is 50 more than I usually allow.
Marissa
Jan 01, 2013 Marissa rated it liked it
I really wanted to read a scary book, but this book was not scary at all.
Vicky
Feb 29, 2012 Vicky rated it it was amazing
-really scary! -made me jump when I heard noises in our woods!
Karen Pettit
Aug 03, 2010 Karen Pettit rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Karen by: Cherise Everhard
Couldn't put this book down... had me on the edge of my seat.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Blood Secrets
  • Joy Street
Horror author

**Not to be confused with the SF writer, Robert Charles Wilson**
More about Robert C. Wilson...