Start by marking “The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven

The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven

The stories Moody has written, appearing in The New Yorker, Esquire, Harper's, and The Paris Review, form a dazzling body of work that marks the emergence of one of the strongest voices in a generation. These stories don't follow familiar paths: They compellingly map the loneliness of private experience and explore the many ways that people give voice to that experience.
Published April 10th 2002 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven

Apr 08, 2016 orsodimondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana, racconti
Holly came from Miami FLA
Hitchhiked her way across the USA
Plucked her eyebrows on the way,
shaved her legs and then he was a she

Ecco di cosa parla questo libro: scritto venti e più anni dopo, ma ambientato negli anni dell'esplosione dell'AIDS, sembra l'adattamento letterario della celebre canzone di Lou Reed. Le storie, i personaggi, i nomi sono gli stessi.

Candy came from out on the island.
In the backroom, she was everybody's darling.
But she never lost her head,
even when sh
(view spoiler) ...more
Brent Legault
This is a very silly book made sillier still by its yearning to be taken seriously evident on every page. Another problem it has is its obsession with the technology and pop culture of its time, already 20 years old and embarrassing to behold, even by a reader like me who remembers some of it. I imagine a similar story, written in the late 1800's, about a young couple having a telephone installed in their brownstone apartment and the first call they make is to a bicycle shop which they find in a ...more
Dr Gym Van Coen
Oct 29, 2007 Dr Gym Van Coen added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of james dean, fans of garage rock
james dean garage band is the standout
Carmen Cocar
Review to follow soon.
Paul Cockeram
Aug 23, 2015 Paul Cockeram rated it liked it
My first time through this book was in graduate school before Rick Moody came to the university for a week. He conducted a workshop and gave a reading and never learned to fit in with the students or faculty. The remoteness of Idaho seemed continually to appall him, New York City being fresh in his mind--I suppose--and civilization being his default. Quickly enough the man himself crowded out all my impressions of his work, so when I picked up this collection it was like brand new, and some it w ...more
Tiny Pants
May 31, 2009 Tiny Pants rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No one's more shocked than me that I gave this one star -- I mean, I own nearly every book by the man, have read all the others too, and for many years would have described Moody as one of my favorite authors. Thinking harder though, I guess it's been a few years now since I would have made that claim. And while I am pretty positive I liked The Diviners, I am more than certain I hated this collection.

A few of the pieces ("The Preliminary Notes", "A Good Story") are quite familiar from college cr
Dec 16, 2011 Aja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, beautiful
Stylistically I love Rick Moody. I love his sentence structure, his word choice, his masterful comma usage, his constant italicizing. He breaks a lot of "rules" of writing (penning an 11-page story without using punctuation, writing a 4-page story that is one sentence long) and it is for this reason, and the occasional heart-stoppingly awesome passage that I keep returning to his work.

This stylistic format is often a hinderance; too showy to create depth of character, too detached to sho
Apr 23, 2008 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite, but a good read before bed. The title story is clearly the best. I have to admit that I wanted to read this book because it was by the author that the movie "The Ice Storm" was based on. I was a little disappointed by his style. ESPECIALLY when I found out that he is responsible for Garden State. Maybe I'm prejudice because I hate Zach Braff, but I hated that movie, and hence, the author. Even though I know Hollywood turns good books to crap. Anyway, I'll have to wait and judge ...more
john brydges
Sep 24, 2008 john brydges rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The heading of this post offers a little nudge in the way of "What I learned from this book." I can tell you I learned that this book was not worth the $8 used dollars I paid for this used book. I could've bought 8 donuts (the good kind), or I could've sat in a sticky nudey booth for 8 minutes. Instead, I read 1 okay story that went absolutely nowhere. Then it hit me. I don't give a shit about upper middle class white people in the northeast. Yeah, yeah, Ice Storm was good (we're talkin' the mov ...more
May 14, 2011 Alexandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rent fans
Recommended to Alexandra by: Benjamin Jacobson
Strong prose that focuses on the connections, simple and complex, between all of us. Especially New Yorkers. My favorite piece, The Apocalypse Commentary of Bob Paisner, is a revelatory ramble in which title character interprets his misadventures with drugs and women through the use of select passages in the New Testament. As for the rest of the collection, I am a bit sick of hearing about how poetically destitute the East Village was in the 80s, but this take on the subject is surely one of the ...more
Mar 09, 2011 Vito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storie di eroina, storie di disagio, storie di morti. Lo sguardo di Moody sulla droga più diffusa negli anni '80 ci descrive gli individui annullati in massa, in una New York austera e gelida in cui tutti si assomigliano, perché tutti sono fantasmi, dove l'eroina, inevitabile, è entrata a far parte della normalità.
A concludere, una piccola perla: la postfazione di Tommaso Pincio, che offre al lettore una chiave di lettura del libro da parte di uno che è passato sia attraverso l'eroina, sia attra
Much better than Demonology. Great writing. Fluid. It flows smoothly like a river on a hot summer day. No rapids. No waterfalls. I can't say the same about the subject matter though. Moody once again explores the warm underbelly of society. Depressing at times- but he always treats his subject matter with respect- and his characters always have a certain dignity about them- no matter how depraved or desperate they become.
Jan 08, 2008 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as I'd hoped it would be, this one just failed to really hold my attention.

Worse still, or maybe just strange, I got the distinct feeling reading it that I'd tried to read it before, and either quit or finished, but in such a way that left no real memory.

Maybe goodreads will help me to remember:)
Nov 26, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction
I love this collection of short stories because it's the young Rick Moody...the characters are young, punk, urban, troubled and poetic. I actually prefer this stuff to his more polished novels. I'm starting to feel like Moody gets worse and worse as he gets older...or maybe I just get more and more cynical. Could be both.
Dec 13, 2011 David rated it really liked it
These might be some of the best short stories of Moody's I've read yet. Still not "The Four Fingers of Death" by any means, but really good. A few of them get a bit more complicated in form than I really got into, but that's my preference and no reflection on Moody. Regardless, these are some damn good stories.
Aug 16, 2013 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(2.7/3.0) Structurally experimental, covering your typical gen-x fair. Hyper-detailed but often soulless. Moody's best stories come when he is most averse to risk-- the eponymous novella, "Twister," and "Preliminary Notes" all deserve more than three stars, but their company keep them anchored in the ordinary.
Dec 01, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Victoria Miller
Moody generally irritates the hell out of me by depicting Connecticut natives as a generally repressed and emotionally deficient people. I love this book, though, especially for "The Grid," which to this day is my favorite short story about both New York City and making out.
Nov 23, 2007 Empress rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the overly-obserbant and the eerily detached.
Shelves: read-most-of-it
I dunno, I liked it, but not enough to finish the whole thing, which I think speaks for itself. Ok, I am sure you are all rivited by this review... Well, I will say that I especially liked the story "Phrasebook." --His concepts are great, but I'm not so sold on his style.
Jan 03, 2008 stew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better than Demonology, but nowhere close to The Ice Storm, TRoBAAH is pretentious, vapid, and not even close to being as clever as it thinks it is.
Michaela Wood
Oh God that sucked. It's not even the language - it just my interest was exactly zero. Certain male writers bore me to tears
Sep 07, 2007 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, one of the masters of specificity...he's a more contemporary (and in my opinion) talented Cheever.
Jan 01, 2008 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories much stronger than others. I found myself skimming in areas. A good look at some of his earlier writing though.
Gin Rickey
Some good ones. Most stories go on way past the exhaustion of the conceit. Beautiful at the sentence level, however.
Nov 11, 2011 Ryan added it
I enjoyed the novella in this, but I'm not sure the short form is Moody's forte. These stories were pretty weak.
Rachel rated it liked it
May 24, 2011
Sean rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2010
Angel rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2007
Tobias rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2007
  • Criers & Kibitzers, Kibitzers & Criers
  • Basal Ganglia
  • Peggy Guggenheim: The Shock of the Modern
  • City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • Trampoline: An Anthology
  • This Shape We're In
  • Kafka's Soup: A Complete History of World Literature in 14 Recipes
  • A Bee Stung Me So I Killed All the Fish
  • Going for a Beer
  • The Graphic Canon, Vol. 3: From Heart of Darkness to Hemingway to Infinite Jest (The Graphic Canon #3)
  • The Age of Wire and String
Rick Moody (born Hiram Frederick Moody, III on October 18, 1961, New York City), is an American novelist and short story writer best known for The Ice Storm (1994), a chronicle of the dissolution of two suburban Connecticut families over Thanksgiving weekend in 1973, which brought widespread acclaim, and became a bestseller; it was later made into a feature film.

More about Rick Moody...