Start by marking “El mago de la serpiente (El Ciclo de la Puerta de la Muerte, #4)” as Want to Read:
El mago de la serpiente (El Ciclo de la Puerta de la Muerte, #4)

El mago de la serpiente (The Death Gate Cycle #4)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  17,880 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
Haplo, el patryn, cruza una vez más la Puerta de la Muerte para continuar la exploración de los mundos en los que los sartán, hace milenios, dividieron el universo original. Enviado para preparar la venida del Señor del Nexo, Haplo viaja en esta ocasión a Chelestra, el mundo del agua, donde una serie de islas sumergidas flota en torno a un sol interior. Éste es un lugar do ...more
Published July 28th 1999 by Timun Mas (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about El mago de la serpiente, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El mago de la serpiente

Charlie George
Oct 29, 2008 Charlie George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charlie by: Grace Kessler
I am a huge fan of the Death Gate Cycle septet. Dragon Wing (book 1) is epic, Elven Star is still 5 stars, and Fire Sea is really good (4 stars). However, Serpent Mage (book 4) was disappointing on the second read. Weis and Hickman pretty much phoned this one in. Nothing of any gravity happened until page 370 of 400. I don't know what possessed them to draw out the meanderings of the uninteresting mortal characters for so long with so little action.

We do learn a great deal about the Sundering, t
Matthew
Mar 11, 2008 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, whenever I'm lucky enough to find a reasonably literate person who has read some fantasy novels, I'm always surprised by the fact that - as far as I can recall - none of them have read The Death Gate Cycle. Granted, I had some holdover nostalgia from the Dragonlance Chronicles for Weis and Hickman, and so I probably had more cause to read them than most, but, even solely on their own merits, these are really excellent books. They're filled with interesting and nuanced characters - Hugh ...more
Keziah
May 25, 2009 Keziah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-edit
Well Serpent Mage managed to jump Weis and Hickman back on track after the slightly average performance of Fire Sea. Despite the lack of interaction between Alfred and Haplo, the development of both characters in this book really set the scene for an interesting conclusion coming up in a couple of books.

In Serpent Mage both Haplo and Alfred land in Chelestra, the land of sea. Haplo meets the mensch and the sinister dragon-serpents, whilst Alfred unwittingly awakens the original Sartan from the S
Mabomanji
Bon tome dans la continuité des autres mais que j'ai trouvé un peu plus longuet à se mettre en place.
Voir les personnages réaliser qu'ils ont changé, voir leurs réactions face à de nouvelles situations compliquées était vraiment agréable.
Le monde de l'eau est encore un monde fascinant à découvrir et le trio des mensch était vraiment sympa. Ils font face à des situations difficiles malgré leur jeune âge et montre toutes les qualités de leurs peuples.
De voir du coup les Sartans et de vraiment comp
[Name Redacted]
Maggie
May 25, 2013 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yaaaaay what a ride!!

This book, more so than the others in the series, was a 'bridge' book, versus one that could stand on its own as a complete story. But it is SOOOOO deliciously compelling. This one also clarified some questions I had after finishing the last (specifically what Jonathan's revelation was in that secret chamber). I had to exert all my self-control and will to enter this review (and the one for book 3!) before hurtling ahead in this series. I'm glad I still have three more to g
Kaotic
Dec 30, 2014 Kaotic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The World
Recommended to Kaotic by: Sierra
Shelves: borrowed
This. Series. Is. Amazing!

I cannot express properly in words how much I love this series. Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are two of my favorite literary writers. The worlds they create, the cultures they develop are all so powerful and fascinating.

And this one. Was a cliff-hanger.
//insert screaming here

I still have books 5 thru 7 to go through. And I don't want to wait!

In this one we get to learn a lot more of the history between the Patryn and the Sartan, and we get to meet other Sartan, bes
Bill
Oct 06, 2008 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This fourth book in the series is the first one to have a weaker hold
on my interest. Once again, though, a very unique world is created. Having said that, I had a real hard time visualizing the durnai with respect to where the living areas were in relation to the water and mountains. This even after the illustrations of cross sections and the descriptions in the Appendix.

The story with respct to the characters of Chelstra wasn't all that captivating, but there are revelations to be had in how th
Fantasy Literature
Serpent Mage, book four of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman's DEATH GATE CYCLE, is not as good as its immediate predecessor but also manages to be significantly superior to the first two installments in the series. For the most part, the focus on Alfred and Haplo continues to be a good move and the tension is certainly ratcheting up as we get closer to the endgame, but on the other hand this one just didn't feel as tightly constructed as the more gripping Fire Sea.

Following our cliffhanger ending
Josh
Mar 29, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The series definitely reached its highest point so far in this volume, for me, and I found myself drawn deeply into the story once again. The originality of this series really makes it stand out, and the amount of planning that must have gone into it is astounding. With each volume, mysteries are being revealed while more are coming to light, pushing me to keep reading just a few more pages.

This is what epic fantasy is really meant to be.
Sara Forsberg
Feb 22, 2012 Sara Forsberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The deeper entrenched into this story I get, the more impressed I become with how the authors have managed to create such a fantastic tale. With every book it gets more and more complicated while still never losing sight of the few, basic, simple themes at its core. This book is just as fantastic as the previous 3, and anyone who likes a great story with amazingly complex characters needs to read this series.
Evan Leach
The fourth entry in the Death Gate Cycle series takes us to Chelestra, a water world. Like the first three books in the series, Serpent Mage features an interesting fantasy setting and as the middle book in the saga, continues to push Haplo further towards his ultimate destiny. 3 stars.
jason yates
Sep 26, 2016 jason yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure awesomeness!!!

I really love this series, and I highly recommend it. I can hardly wait for the next one. So, go ahead and pick up all seven books in the bundle. I promise you, you will not be sorry you did!
Alejandra Sc
Jan 07, 2014 Alejandra Sc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This one is pure magic. This book is where everything starts making sense and is the start of the sagas second and final period. Where all characters come to terms with what lies ahead. Really engaging.
Kelly
May 12, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Seriously these books are getting better and better. Although I do highly recommend to anyone reading this series that they have the 5th book on hand when they finish the 4th. This book does not end as the others do, with a true ending, this is more of a cliff hanger.

Monique
Halpo and Alfred both travel to Chelstra at the same time but through different means. They end up in different areas and they don't initially realize they are on the same world. Alfred meets fellow Sartan's. But he quickly discovers that his people have a dark past that they don't want known. Halpo meets the dragon-snakes, a new creature that claims it is on the side of the Patryn's for the wrongs they have endured. The Sartans on Chelstra are forced to fight as the dragon-snakes team up with t ...more
Arminion
Oct 16, 2016 Arminion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Death Gate cycle doesn't disappoint! This time, Haplo and Alfred are on Chelestra, the world of water where, surprisingly, the mensch (humans, elves and dwarves) live in harmony. But the mensch aren't the only inhabitants of this world – Sartan are also awakened from their deep slumber, and another, more sinister and devastating power.

Some questions are answered, but for each answer we get, another question pops up. The world and the story are magnificently crafted and it seems that
Geoff Battle
Jun 22, 2017 Geoff Battle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a somewhat lacklustre third entry, Weis and Hickman play to their strengths in 'Serpent Mage'. All the requisites of high fantasy are included, with elves, dwarves and magic vs. science. These factors are cleverly blended with the strong Death Gate scenario, brimming with originality and ideas. The setting does not overshadow the plot, with less premable and backstory than previous entries - Haplo's journey is central to the action and mayhem. Good characterisation and clever use of narrat ...more
M Nyberg
May 24, 2017 M Nyberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4th of the world's in the death gate visited. We learn more about the overall creation and characters continue to develop with the Sartan people introduced. Still trying to figure out, what's with the dog?
LENA Cazadora de Fantasia
Oct 11, 2016 LENA Cazadora de Fantasia rated it really liked it
Shelves: muy-buenos
H.
Apr 20, 2012 H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-sf
Serpent Mage is book 4 of 7 in The Death Gate Cycle. The Death Gate Cycle is set in the far future, a post-apocalyptic world that looks a lot like traditional fantasy worlds—full of humans, elves, and dwarves—but with a twist more in keeping with science fiction. A war between two other races, Patryns and Sartans (demigods in their own minds), led to the Sundering of the world. The world was split into four—one for each of the old elements, and the Patryns were imprisoned in the hellish Labyrint ...more
Diane Tolley
Feb 22, 2017 Diane Tolley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the series I started reading, then talked about so much that two of my teenaged sons also started. The conversations we have! What famous and favourite actors would play which roles in the movie . . .
Anna
Jun 10, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so the physics in these books can be a bit much and the language W & H invented to go with it can put you off. It didn’t for me, though I do advise you to read them in English. There are a few puns in Dutch that were a good laugh, so I’m sure I would have caught plenty more in the English version. There are plenty of drawings in each books, but not only your standard fantasy “map of the world”. These are schematics, that help you visualize and (attempt to) understand how all these worl ...more
Ippino
Jan 29, 2014 Ippino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Questo è uno dei miei cicli fantasy preferiti. In sette libri viene creato un sistema di mondi coerente ed intrigante, in cui si muovono personaggi non sempre pienamente consapevoli delle loro azioni. Tutto è permeato da una sorta di patina fascinosa e magica, un'atmosfera avventurosa come se ne vedono poche. Dimenticatevi le piatte caratterizzazioni di DragonLance e la sua noia mortale: *questo* è vero fantasy.
Tra i primi 4 libri, che sono una sorta di prologo per la vera guerra che si combatte
Ethan
Apr 02, 2012 Ethan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took a serious turn for the religious, which I really liked. But it also featured some annoying characters again, which I didn't like at first. The series has two super races of beings, the Sartan and Patryns, they are the heroes of the series and by far the most interesting characters in the story. The lesser races, men, elves, and dwarves, are portrayed as simple, flawed, and for the most part uninteresting. It doesn't help any that the main characters from the lesser races are child ...more
Maurinejt
Jul 24, 2016 Maurinejt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Back in the day when I was first reading the series, Serpent Mage was my favorite. It is the most pleasant to read because the elves, humans and dwarves on the world of Chelestra, world of water, are scrappy and fully-realized characters with great hearts. We get most of their story from the point of view of the young dwarf Grundle, who doesn't mince words but is a warm, engaging narrator. The first time I read it, it was one of those rare books where I came to the end...then opened it up to
Aaron
Jan 27, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katinki
Copied from Dragon Wing. Review is for entire series.

Re-read

The Deathgate Cycle is one of my favorite series ever. Everything about it - all 7 books - are just... high fantasy perfection.

- The world (or rather universe) is amazingly unique, stunning in set up and description, and terrifically told.
- The magic and its use is top notch. It's one of few series that really go into HOW the magic of the world works.
- The characters are all highly memorable, including "Dog", the secondaries, the
kingshearte
Aug 06, 2010 kingshearte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, fantasy, fiction
This one was better than Elven Star, but I didn't like it as much as Dragon Wing or Fire Sea. The setting was certainly relevant, and the characters good, and the plot, once it got going, was intriguing. But it did take a while for anything to really get going, and give us enough information to start getting interested. I would have liked, I think, to see more of the Sartan, and maybe a little less of the young'uns and their fairly uneventful travels.

One area where this really didn't satisfy was
Nafisa Choudhury
Apr 18, 2013 Nafisa Choudhury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the best book of this series I have read so far. Much more gripping. Much more insightful. It's so unpredictable! I had no idea where the story was going and I was hooked, even if it tired me sometimes to keep up with the consistently fast pace. It's really good.

Alfred and Haplo develop further. They have become memorable characters, deep and different. They are not VERY realistic, but they're close to it and by far the most complex characters in the whole book. There was also that reall
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Domes of Fire (The Tamuli, #1)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 2)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • The Seventh Sentinel (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #3)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Mystic Warrior (The Bronze Canticles, #1)
  • In Sylvan Shadows (Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet, #2)
  • Galen Beknighted (Dragonlance: Heroes, #6, Heroes II, #3)
  • The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

The Death Gate Cycle (7 books)
  • Dragon Wing (The Death Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)
  • The Hand of Chaos (The Death Gate Cycle, #5)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)