Start by marking “The Turquoise” as Want to Read:
The Turquoise

The Turquoise

It is the story of a beautiful, gifted woman who leaves the magic mountains of her native New Mexico for the piratical, opulent, gaslit New York of the 1870s—only to end her search for happiness back in the high, thin air of Santa Fe.

Santa Fe Cameron, named for the place of her birth, was the child of a Spanish mother and a Scotch father and inherited from both a high deg
Published 1973 by Coronet (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Turquoise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Turquoise

Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 Misfit rated it liked it
Not Seton's best work, but still an interesting read. This is the story of Santa Fe (Fey) Cameron, named after the town she was born in, Santa Fe New Mexico. Her high born spanish mother died in childbirth, and her father (the disinherited younger son of a highland laird) died when she was a young girl, leaving her to be raised by a lower class mexican family. When Fey turns 17 she meets Terry Dillon, a handsome, charming but ever so unscrupulous medicine man who is headed back east to make his ...more
Sara Giacalone
I was excited to read a first edition copy thanks to my good friend, Adam. The book itself felt so wonderful in my hands, and it felt like I was opening a real treasure. The story itself was magical, beginning in Santa Fe, moving to New York City, and ending back in Santa Fe. I loved reading about Fey's trials and tribulations and ultimate redemption. A moving, beautiful story.
Kerrie
DNF at pg. 59.

Some people might call it lavish atmosphere, I call it boring meandering filler. Get to the point, Seton.
Misfit
I had to pick up this copy at the UBS just to upload the cover.

Cleo
Nov 27, 2009 Cleo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
What a find! It is a rare book that makes me weep. Not in sorrow but in empathy. The life story of an amazing woman born in Santa Fe. She is a "forgotten" legend of the area. The author is a wonderful storyteller whose prose sometimes borders poetry. She researched through the memories of the elders in the area, the scant records available from the late 1800's and has presented us a piece of thought-provoking historical fiction. She has written La Santa's (or Sante Fe or Fey)life as a parable - ...more
Lydia Presley
Nov 06, 2009 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it
Original review posted here

Have you heard of Anya Seton? I sure hadn’t. I’m not sure what possessed me to put this book on my TBR list back in 2009, but THANK GOODNESS I did. Because y’all, this book was magnificent.

It was published first in 1946, and the copy I got from the library was bound in one of those old style books – unassuming, no pictures, gold lettering on top of an orange cover. I looked at that book and thought.. what was I thinking? And then I started to read… and I read more and
Rusty
Aug 09, 2010 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Seton's writing enjoyable because she has strong and independent female characters. The Turquoise is no exception as she tells the compelling tale of Santa Fey Cameron, whose heritage is the unlikely combination of Scottish and Spanish parents. When her father dies, leaving her orphaned she lives with a poor Mexican family. To escape this life Fey marries Terry Dillon, a handsome Irish rogue, only to be abandoned in New York, pregnant and alone. She finds a friend in Dr. Rachel at a clin ...more
Julia
Dec 26, 2013 Julia rated it liked it
Born of Scots/Spanish parents in 1850s New Mexico and orphaned at a n early age, Fey is raised by poor neighbors. At 17, she hitches a ride out of town with Terry Dillon, a “special-elixir”-selling quack. While traveling the Santa Fe Trail, they marry and eventually arrive in Kansas with enough money for train fares to New York City. Predictably, Terry abandons Fey within days, just before Fey realizes she is pregnant. Alone, pregnant and without a source of income in the 19th-century metropolis ...more
Anna Marie
Dec 22, 2011 Anna Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I have a love affair with turquoise, which led me to this book. It reminded me of Gone with the Wind, and yet Fey was more likable than Scarlet O'Hara. I am a single mother, and so Fey’s abandoned pregnant plight in the 1860’s NYC was a terrifying thing to read. I wanted to see her choose strength of her own to survive and was dismayed that she turned to seducing a powerful and rich man to marry her and in so doing hid her past and who she was behind him. It beautifully came full circle in the e ...more
Nancy Delaski
Apr 06, 2009 Nancy Delaski rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Loves stories about strong women
Recommended to Nancy by: Am reading all Anya Seton novels
I loved this book. Have read 6 other Anya Seton novels and this one and Katherine are my favorites. The story moves along very rapidly and has some of her very best characters in addition to Fey the strong heroine in the novel. It contains elements of romance, ambition, betrayal, adventure in wide ranging locations. and keeps you turning pages to keep up with the life of this amazing women . Even the 19th century historical settings in Santa Fe and NYC as well as travel between them gives you a ...more
Alleluialu
Jun 05, 2012 Alleluialu rated it it was amazing
I read this book as the March selection of the Rainbow Reading Challenge. "The Turquoise" is the story of a girl whose parents were Mexican and Scottish. She was named for the city of her birth, Santa Fe, but her father called her Fey. Her mother died in childbirth so she lived the first years of her life with her father who was a Scottish doctor. They discovered that Fey had the gift of "sight". Later, when Fey was about 7, her father was killed when he went to help a fellow doctor with a surge ...more
Renata Shura
Mar 20, 2016 Renata Shura rated it it was amazing
Anya Seton should be so much more well-known than she is. She is one of the first writers to do careful exhaustive research on her subject matter, thus making her fictional stories works of literature which educate as well as entertain. Now, there are so many good authors in the historical fiction field, but she, as a pioneer in the genre, is truly a master.

The worlds she builds in her books are so engrossing that you hardly realize you are reading. Whereas I often look at page count in contempo
Not Anya Seton's best. The beginning was promising; the descriptions of New Mexico were vivid. I also liked the ending, where Fey comes to terms with being responsible for the choices she made. However, throughout the middle I found myself wanting the story to be over. If you're new to Anya Seton, don't start out with this one. Try Katherine or perhaps Avalon or The Winthrop Woman first. Move onto this if you enjoy those.
Earleen Smith
Sep 22, 2010 Earleen Smith rated it really liked it
This historical fiction novel was a little difficult for me to get started just because of the many Spanish words in the beginning, but I'm about half-way through and it's interesting. I'll write a better review when I've read the whole book.

Book finished. Great read. Here's my review:

The Turquoise, a fictional work written by Anya Seton, is about a very remarkable woman who starts her young life with an external gift of a turquoise gem from an Indian shaman, pride of her heritage and internal g
Julie Schultz
Jan 09, 2015 Julie Schultz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of historical fiction
 ☆Ruth☆
I liked most of the book and on the whole it's well written, if a little melodramatic in places. However, there were some sections that I found boring and/or frustrating. The author had obviously done a lot of detailed research and wanted to ensure that her readers were aware of it. She achieved this by some concentrated name-dropping - presumably of historical figures - and as I was not familiar with any of them, I found these passages quite tedious. I had little or no empathy with the main cha ...more
Trish
Jan 04, 2015 Trish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Anya Seton's Katherine, and I would go as far as to credit it for my deep love of historical fiction. Unfortunately, this novel did not make me feel the same way. In my eyes, The Turquoise just did not live up to that level of writing, engagement, and character development. A good premise and a strong beginning, but it quickly became a very stereotypical, Victorianesque, maudlin story with a somewhat disappointing ending.

No doubt Seton does historical fiction well in terms of
Rona  Avenido
Oct 01, 2015 Rona Avenido rated it it was ok
I love historical fiction and I've chosen this book as a pick-me-up read right after devouring Milan Kundera's The Unbearble Lightness of Being. The book was an easy read, it reminded me of Gone With the Wind and somehow I'm not lost to this plot at all.

The good thing about this book is that it sporadically shifts out of the normal descriptive part where some authors liberally enjoy and do, Seton's book is different in the terms of adding a bit of reality in the book putting a personal touch to
Jun 25, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
Another good Seton novel,though this one is only loosely based on fact and in a much more contemporary setting than most of her books, it's set in the mid 1800's. The main character reminds me a lot of Scarlett from Gone with the Wind, which means she's kind of selfish and ruthless.The story is entirely readable though not as good as some of her other novels, say, Green Darkness or Avalon.
Erika
Jul 07, 2011 Erika rated it it was amazing
This book was a really good read. i loved how the story flowed was always interesting and never dull. It follows through the life of Fay from where she came to what she became. i did not like that she tried to run from who she was and how easily she could be diverted. However i wouldn't want this story any other way. i was surprised picking up this book had spanish in it and it was written very well into the dialogue.
Nola Collier
Anya Seton does a great job of introducing the reader to the early citizens of New Mexico and 19th century New York. This novel addresses the problems of social class in both areas. It also addresses the struggle the heroine has in dealing with her conflicting backgrounds. The plot is somewhat predictable, but I enjoyed the background research the author had done.
Joey Mills
May 17, 2014 Joey Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever presentation of a mystical heroine

I always enjoy Anya Set on and her writing. Was some disappointed in all the typos in the production of this book. The price seemed high for such poor work.
Bea
May 28, 2011 Bea rated it liked it
This book didn't grab me as much as Seton's other books. I think it's because I didn't think Fey's love and attraction for Terry were very believable. I felt she was smarter than the dumb decisions she made.
Donna
Jul 08, 2015 Donna rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable book by an author who was one of my favorites when I was a teenager. It was enjoyable to read but in many ways seemed dated especially in its stereotyping of various ethnic groups.
Heather
Aug 21, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
John Morris
May 16, 2015 John Morris rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book even though it was old fashioned and a moral tail about social climbing/ financial wealth at all cost.
Vikki
Jun 04, 2010 Vikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. This was copyright in the 1940's. A girl is trying to find out who she really is. I loved this book.
Christy
Sep 04, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
Yet another of Seton's novels involving a strong-willed young woman who I find remarkably selfish. At least the last quarter or so of the book was surprising, thus the 3-star rating.
April Ann
Aug 07, 2009 April Ann rated it really liked it
A beautiful illustration of contrast. A tragic full circle novel that is full of surprises. Seton is awesome!
Pam Schwartz
Jan 15, 2015 Pam Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Not my favorite of Seton's books, but I couldn't put it down just the same!
  • Dynasty of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • The River Road
  • The Regency (Morland Dynasty, #13)
  • Swan Song
  • Merlin (The Young Merlin Trilogy, #3)
  • The Tiger's Woman
  • Love Is a Wild Assault
  • Free Land
  • The Darkness & the Dawn
  • An Old Captivity
  • Walk in My Soul
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • The Child from the Sea
  • Wintercombe (Wintercombe, #1)
  • The Prince of Eden (Eden, #2)
  • Harald Hardrada: The Last Viking
Anya Seton (January 23, 1904 (although the year is often misstated to be 1906 or 1916) - November 8, 1990) was the pen name of the American author of historical romances, Ann Seton.

Ann Seton was born in New York, New York, and died in Old Greenwich, Connecticut. She was the daughter of English-born naturalist and pioneer of the Boy Scouts of America, Ernest Thompson Seton and Grace Gallatin Seton-
More about Anya Seton...