Start by marking “The Hyde Effect” as Want to Read:
The Hyde Effect

The Hyde Effect

In the hills of Southern California, a series of violent and gruesome deaths occurs within the space of a few hours. The murders are attributed to some unknown, savage animal.Precisely one month later, college student Meg Talley is attacked in the same manner. Astonishingly, she survives, but when she insists that her assailant was a hideous monster-like creature, she is c ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by iUniverse (first published January 1st 1986)

Feb 17, 2008 Swan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Humans over age 12
Recommended to Swan by: As usual, my beloved, twisted spouse
Shelves: loved-these
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2008
Jan 26, 2009 David rated it really liked it
The best werewolf novel I have ever read.
May 15, 2011 Paula rated it liked it
One of the better werewolf books I've read.
Apr 17, 2010 Will rated it really liked it
A good novel about werewolves.
Jan 05, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013december
A friend loaned me The Hyde Effect, wanting me to test his "it'd make a great movie" theory. And for the first 20 pages or so, I agreed -- but thought a B movie at best.

The more I read, though, the more pleasantly surprised I became. Even though the book is nearly 30 years old, its take on lycanthropy is more novel than the dozens of modern "supe" series I've read.

It's clever and different and quippy and fun. Great literature? No. A great movie? Could be.

Finished it 13 minutes before midnight on
Nick Manix
Sep 18, 2011 Nick Manix rated it really liked it
One of two books that gave me a pannic attack while reading. for several years I worked with the author to adapt into a screenplay. I'm still holding out hope.

Vance paints such a vivid picture that there were times I felt as if I were right there with the characters. Perfect book for those dark and stormy nights.
Sydney Squidney

I admit, it started strong, when a man in search of the legendary creature goes to the southwestern desert to get firsthand folklore divulged to him by the natives and becomes infected by a virus himself.

However, in reading the Kindle version of this book I quickly realised there was going to be a problem.

This version is riddled with typos and misspellings which hindered my desire to get through this story at an enjoyable pace.

My reading experience and the quality of this story lost value becau
Jul 09, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not read the actual physical book before purchasing the ebook version.

As far as the story itself goes, this is a pretty good rampaging werewolf on the full moon tale. No romance here, just good light horror. This would have gotten a hard 5 stars on the story except for the fact that there seemed to be a "tacked on" set of characters of a sister and her mentally unstable brother that really did nothing to add to the main story line. It seemed as if there was going to be something more there
Wanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Dec 03, 2012 Dafixer's rated it it was amazing
This was the first contemporary Werewolf novel I've ever read and it still stands as the best. It begins with murders and a group of characters looking into them, it becomes clear to the characters that he murders were committed by a werewolf. It culminates to the capture of the werewolf and his being put to the test in a lab where he changes and then it becomes something else. I don't know if many movies that came afterward were imitating the third act of this novel but it's the firs time I had ...more
John Washington
Mar 24, 2013 John Washington rated it it was amazing
I loved this book the first time i read it and the second go around did not disappoint.....
Andrea rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Gino rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Thomas Loria
Thomas Loria rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Aiyana Cafarella
Aiyana Cafarella rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Mike Mcdonald
Mike Mcdonald rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Ross Frazer
Ross Frazer rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Chris Bentley
Jun 23, 2014 Chris Bentley rated it it was amazing
A really great werewolf book with a wicked, scary werewolf and no crappy romance stuff! I read this when I was a kid and I still love it today. Would make such an awesome movie if done right.
Billy Tull
Billy Tull rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2014
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Apr 18, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love being scared.
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered on my own.
1st Read: February 26, 1993 - March 7, 1993

There have been many books written about werewolves, wolf-men and lycanthropy throughout the years. A few stand out: The Howling; The Wolfen and this one, The Hyde Effect. It is the best one I have ever read that completely absorbs you and scares the hell out of you at the same time. It is a book that is hard to put down.

The werewolf in this story kills and tears apart everyone and is never selective about it; no one is singled out. This werewolf wa
Michael Vinson
Michael Vinson rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Peggy rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Sarah Doughty
Sarah Doughty rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
James Dorothy
James Dorothy rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Keiri rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Jose Villalobos
May 31, 2016 Jose Villalobos rated it liked it
I was borrowed this book by somebody who put it as the next best wonder.
I feel very much disappointed in said review of the book.
The book is about four people chasing a werewolf, simply placed. I can tell that the main character is not the werewolf ('lobombre', though in Spanish, it is 'hombre lobo'), but the main motivation of the villain is... fury? Killing rage? It's not very clear or convicing.
The main four characters are basically cartoons with no transformation and no desire in their mi
« previous 1 3 4 next »