Start by marking “Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)” as Want to Read:
Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)

Split (Makedde Vanderwall #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  808 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Mak is beautiful, street-smart and single, a model paying her way through a degree in forensic psychology. She s come to Vancouver to finish her studies. But instead she walks straight into a city gripped by fear of a killer, and a campus where the students are the prey. As winter closes in and the nights grow longer, Mak is drawn into a shifting world of twisted minds, a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 339 pages
Published July 4th 2006 by Leisure Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Split, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Split

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenCloudstreet by Tim WintonA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShutePicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Best Books Set in Australia
342nd out of 566 books — 349 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCloudstreet by Tim WintonTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
Best Modern Australian Literature
275th out of 339 books — 441 voters

More lists with this book...

I'm still trying to decide whether I really like this author's style. She tends to explain a bit too much which rather slows down the pace. Nevertheless when the action starts happening she keeps the pages turning and there is plenty of suspense. I don't really get the Makedde / Andy issue even though I did read the previous book where all the problems started. Someone as strong as Mak is supposed to be surely could make her mind up over a mere man. Still a good book and I will read the next one ...more
So I was given book 4 of this series by a neighbor who was raving about how good this series is. Like any OC reader, I held off on book 4 and went to read the series from the beginning.

Let us start with what was good about it. It was an easy, quick read. Um....yep. That is all.

How was this book painful? Let me count the ways:

1) Makedde is the most 2D, annoying, pretentious prat of a character I have ever read. She is a model. She is studying her PhD. She is so intelligent that mere mortals can n
Bronwyn Rykiert
Makedde Vanderwall seems to get herself in the line of fire from serial killers, first she became a victim a Stiletto Murderer while visiting Australia and in this book too she becomes the target for another serial killer – could that really happen in someone’s life?

I don’t understand her feelings for Andy, she is attracted to him but keeps fighting it because he helped her from being killed while she was in Australia and she has a hang up over that.

For me there was too much in depth discriptio
Mak once again finds herself in the clasps of another psychopath, however Spilt was slower moving than then Fetish. I found this was filled with a lot more explanation of psychological terms that were perhaps too long. I may be frustrated with that as I'm familiar with what she was writing about, however I feel if she needs to show her knowledge on this she should write an article not a novel.
Once I neared the end, it was far less laborious and much more enjoyable.
I have just reread The Fictional Woman by Tara Moss, as it was my choice for my book discussion group, and thought that I should at least try one of her crime fiction books to get an idea about her fiction writing style, before our meeting.
I therefore read Split quickly and found it an easy to read novel with a good story and fast pace. The writer did over explain in places which could be her style or a case of too much tell and not enough show? (Show don't tell...). Nevertheless I did like her
Split is the 2nd book in this amazing series. This time Makaydee is back home in Canada, closer to her family and to continue her studies. She finds her father dating, something he hasnt done since his wifes death two years ago, and her sister (annoying bitch) loving her simple life with her new family. I didnt like her criticizing ways I felt Makaydee's sister added to her already delicate mental state. Anyway this book showed the realistic way people do deal with their problems, shutting peopl ...more
Someone had recommended this author and I ordered 2 of hers from the library.

The characters were underwritten and Hollywood cardboard thin.

I persisted until about 1/2 through and an incident with chewing gum, avoiding a professor and main character, a PhD student and part-time world class model - natch, inhaling with gusto and heated hormones the shaving cologne of a lusty security guard did my head in. She'd been raped and beaten apparently in a prequel novel, was having PTSD nightmares, and g
Lauren Murphy
It’s been about six months since I read Fetish, the first novel in the Makedde Vanderwall series by model and author Tara Moss. I really enjoyed the start to the series and was keen to pick up book 2, Split which I managed to read while I was on my honeymoon.

After the trauma Makedde experienced in the first novel while she was in Sydney, I was curious to see what would happen once she returned to her country of origin, Canada. And, of course I wanted to find out what would happen with Detective
Ms Tlaskal
I was lucky enough to meet Tara Moss last week and this is why I read Split, as I'm not a huge crime reader, even though she herself recommends her new YAL Pandora English series. But she was so charming and interesting that I wanted to see what she writes. For someone who finds Bond film plots difficult to follow, I cottoned on pretty quickly to Mak Vanderwall's dilemma. I read it in two short sessions, enjoyed the references to Canada (a place on my 'to visit' list) and the feeling of claustro ...more
Well that was fun. Tara Moss has me hooked now. The second Mac Vanderwall book follows on naturally from the first, and the plot, which I feared would be trite and contrived was a well constructed thrill ride.

This is a better written book than the first and Moss's enjoyment of her subject material, be it the unglamorous world of catalogue modelling, or the details of forensic psychology, is undisguised. She's taken the chick-lit romance of Mills and Boone and blended it with a kind of Jeffrey D
Di Turner
Another great book in the series - her books are so easy to read, and keep you interested all the way through. I love that the main character is a model, which Tara can obviously write realistically about. The only thing that worries me is the fact that the main character has been a victim in both the first two books in this series, not sure if this is the case in all the books in the series, but I guess I'll have to read them to find out.
Josh Wallace
I read this novel a couple of years ago so it's not fresh in my mind but I will say this. I'm generally the type of reader who will pick a book from anywhere in a series, enjoy it, but then not bother with the rest of the set. Split changed that. The edge of the seat quality of this second part from Tara Moss's "psycho magnet" saga commissioned me to round up Fetish, Covet and Hit in order to follow the heroine, Makedde Vanderwall, from the Catwalk to the Crime Scene so to speak.
Split reminded
Lyn Richards
Makedde (Mak) Vanderwall is working her way through her Masters, she does modelling to pay the tuition. Mak's dad is a former police officer and her mum passed away. She has been back from a modelling trip in Australia that went sour 12 months ago where she met the complex police officer Andy Flynn. Since her trip to Australia she's thrown herself into her studies in psychology but is having trouble sleeping and cant put the past aside.

Mak is a self confessed weirdo magnet, something that she ho
I enjoyed the overall plot and the way Mak thinks as a character. I felt that the first half of the book was pretty convoluted because there was so many point of view changes. I am not entirely convinced that all of the characters with points of view were even relevant to the story.

Once the book got further into the plot and the individual character stories were converging,the book picked up speed quickly and became more enjoyable. From the beginning, I thought something was off about Roy Blake
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Mak, a 25-years-old-past-her-heyday smart model with expected psychological hangups goes to Australia, only to find her best friend (really? A 19 year old best friend?) and fellow model dead, conveniently at the exact location as her latest photo shoot. She is the daughter of a Detective Inspector, and fledgling psychology student, so rather than leaving it to the local detectives, she goes off to investigate the case of the serial killer killing tall, beautiful model-like women wearing stiletto ...more
Debbie Johansson
After reading Tara's first book, Fetish, I was eager to read the next book in the series. This book sees Mak back in her native Canada, where once again she encounters Andy Flynn. Mak's feelings for him are certainly mixed, perhaps more so than in the first book. There are a lot of psychological detail within this story, which can distract the reader. Overall, this is still an enjoyable read, and becomes a real page-turner.
Kerryn Taylor
I enjoyed reading Fetish many years ago and really like Tara Moss' writing.
I listened to Split as an audio-book read by Tara herself and it was a great experience.
Holly Bicknell
The last few chapters were great, but definitely did not make up for the incredibly drawn out story that you had to get through first.
c a t h e y
Loved them all
Balthazar Lawson
I read this as an ebook on my iPhone and it was 842 pages in length. Unfortunately it didn't get really exciting until after page 600 and then I really enjoyed it.

Before this it kind of just drifted along and was a bit like an education about psychology, which didn't really have much bearing to the rest of the story except for the villain being nuts. A slow climb to a big climax is the best way to describe this when it would have been better to have taken the lift and you wouldn't have missed al
Oooh, this one left a bad taste in my mouth. Lazily plotted, poorly written, and flatly narrated (by the author). Even apart from the offensive not only woman-as-victim, but woman-as-REPEAT-victim fiasco, developments are telegraphed, silly details are emphasized (and worse, sometimes repeated), and the characters are cardboard pawns.

audiobook note: I wasn't a fan of the almost bored-sounding narration from early on, and some key mispronunciations (mischievous!) only underscored my low opinion.
Jacqueline King

A few months have passed since the climactic ending of Fetish, in which former model Makadde Vanerwall almost died. She has returned to her native Canada to study and visit family, believing she is safe, though missing her Australian friend-with-benefit detective Andy Flynn. But Mak has no idea she is so close to yet another nomadic serial killer, and her connection to him is just as creepy as the killer himself. Love Tara Moss books, a huge fan of her writing and intense research.
Anita Wu
Not nearly as good as Fetish had been, but still easy to read and follow. Some parts, however, seemed forced or had some minor consistency problems. The twist, while obviously intended to be unexpected and surprising, seemed rushed and lacked depth - as if it had been tacked in for the sake of something unexpected but for no real reason, almost as if the author changed her mind at the last moment.

But it wasn't unenjoyable and certainly hasn't put me off the series.
Another great read from one of Tara Moss' thrillers. I've found each time with this series that I have been drawn in from the very beginning. Makedde definitely seems to be a serial killer magnet for sure. The poor girl has had it so hard the last few years of her life that I'm sure its not going to get easier considering how many more books are to come after this one lol. I'm looking forward to reading more of Mak and hopefully Andy too.
Any Length
easy read, good ending
Katie Q
This would have got 4 stars if it had not been so predictable. Moss had the chance to make this a better book by not being predictable with the outcome. I certainly hoped for a more interesting ending.

Moss failed with this book only because she did not have the imagination to twist the story more and add more suspense.

Very readable and a good story. Hopefully Moss has brush up her plot next installment.
I thought this book was poorly plotted and badly written and so very, very irritating. The main character is a model who is also doing a PhD in forensic psychology (because we can all totally relate to that) and she spends the whole novel being indecisive, passive aggressive and weak until she suddenly gets it together in the last 30 pages to fight off a serial killer. Not even passable as a holiday read.
predictable, but considering it was written by a supermodel i would almost give it 3 stars... almost.
Stephen Lawton
I think Moss writes well in that her sentences are short, easy to read and add to the sense of momentum she achieves in her novels. I think she's less strong at plot/story but she has I guess genuine insights into the world of modelling, fashion and the misogyny of men.
  • Peepshow (Simone Kirsch, #1)
  • Poppy's Dilemma
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • Web of Deceit (Detective Ella Marconi #6)
  • Sharp Shooter (Tara Sharp, #1)
  • Bella's Run
  • Man Drought
  • Sleight Malice
  • Prime Cut
  • Rough Diamond
  • The Rouseabout
  • A Stranger in My Street
  • Queen of the Road
  • Undertow (David Cavanaugh, #1)
  • After the Darkness
  • Currawong Creek
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Tiger Paw
Tara Moss is a novelist, TV presenter, blogger and journalist.

Since 1999 she has written and published nine bestselling novels including Fetish, Split, Covet, Hit, Siren, Assassin, The Blood Countess and The Spider Goddess, and been published in 18 countries in 12 languages. Her 9th novel, The Skeleton Key, has just been published.

She is currently enrolled in a Doctorate of Social Sciences at The
More about Tara Moss...

Makedde Vanderwall (6 books)
  • Fetish (Makedde Vanderwall, #1)
  • Covet (Makedde Vanderwall, #3)
  • Hit (Makedde Vanderwall, #4)
  • Siren (Makedde Vanderwall, #5)
  • Assassin (Makedde Vanderwall, #6)