Start by marking “Baby Bear's Chairs” as Want to Read:
Baby Bear's Chairs

Baby Bear's Chairs (Baby Bear)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Baby Bear is the littlest bear in his family, and sometimes that's not so easy. Mama and Papa Bear get to stay up late in their great big chairs. Big brother gets to play fun games in his middle-sized chair. And Baby Bear only seems to cause trouble in his own tiny chair. But at the end of the day, he finds the one perfect chair that's comfier and cozier than all the rest. ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Bear's Chairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Bear's Chairs

midnightfaerie
This book was a big hit with all my children. The bright colorful illustrations held my 3 yr old's attention, and the rhyming and story was enjoyed by my 5 yr old. I loved the bears that wouldn't take there nap, and lost no time in pointing out the similarities between them and my 3 yr old twins. They just smiled and said "Yes...bears go to bed! No playing!" Pretty much repeating my daily mantra. Overall it was a fun read if not something I could read over and over again.
Destiny Dawn Long
I love "Baby Bear's Books" so I was excited to find this volume at the library. It features the same great illustrations and characters that I enjoyed so much. However, "Baby Bear' Chairs" was a bit of a disappointment. I liked some of the themes explored--how it feels being littler than everyone else, struggling to keep up--but using chairs as the vehicle to explore these ideas just seemed a little weird to me. There was also no clear sense of order to what was going on.

I was tempted to rate i
Anaeka
This book would work for older children too. Kids can empathize with the book since most kids feel older kids and parents have it easy compared to them. The book beautifully describes being with older people (parents and siblings). It describes being a baby. I don't know if A gets all of this but she likes the book. Another thumbs up for the book in that it hints that the baby cosleeps in the family bed/with the parents. (most bedtime books just gloss over bedtime and SELDOM show co-sleeping) Ro ...more
Eva Leger
These books make up some of Yolen's best. I truly wish she'd stick with these. I truly think that the majority of readers who rate some of her other books well are working from their memory of her better books. It's strange that she can run so hot and cold for me and my daughter.
The illustrations here are big and bright and cheerful that you can't help but be drawn in to the story. I really like Melissa Sweet's books and I'm looking forward to reading more.
Kristen Campbell
The book was average. I liked the rhyming and colorful pictures, but the story was very basic. It didn't have a plot, and the sequencing didn't make very much sense. The pictures of the little bears in high chairs were cute, but could have followed the text better. I think it would be a good book to read your child as a bedtime story, but that is about it. It doesn't have much intellectual value for the adult reading the story.
Tara
The bumble bee on each page is really cute. So if you have a kid who likes bumble bees, it is fun for them to find the bumble bee on each page. The rhyming is cute and everything. J loved this book (4 months old), but it would not get K's attention (23 month old) no matter how hard I tried.
Misty
Sweet book. I would definitely use this book to talk about proper usage for commas. There are commas all over this book, and they are used for a purpose. I would read this to my students and let them know that commas can also be used for effect. Definitely a writer's workshop addition!
Robyn Simmons
Nov 26, 2008 Robyn Simmons rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: primary readers
Shelves: folklore
This book places a modern twist of the story of The Three Little Bears. It tells the story of Baby Bear searching to find a chair that fits his comfort level. This story is very family oriented. Baby Bear's mother and father succeed to make him as comfortabvle as possible.
Tricia
While the story has a baby bear and chairs, it's not a re-telling of the classic story of the three bears. This bear has an older brother bear...and some of the story is about how the little bear has a hard time keeping up...and how Papa's chest is the best chair of all.
Kristen
I thought this might work well in toddler story time because of the nice rhyme, but the cadence was kind of odd, which made it hard to read. And while the overall storyline and illustrations are nice, it just didn't capture me.
Julene
The pictures are fairly cute, but I really love the words in this one. Obviously written by someone with kid experience, it is a sweet (and very short) commentary about the difficulties and perks of being the baby.
The Reading Countess
Simple, sweet story about what it is to be the baby of the family. Despite no longer being A baby, we still call youngest son "the baby." Youngest kids everywhere (and all siblings, really) will latch onto this tale.
bernadette
The language has a nice rhythm so good for reading aloud and cute illustrations. It's a sweet book but didn't quite grab the toddler's attention as well as Yolen's How Do Dinosaurs... books.
Lori
I'm a Jane Yolen fan, but this was just ok. Little ones will like looking for the bee on each page.
Puja Patel
This book is a very calm book and can be used in a classroom during nap time. It uses rhyming words which make the book flow and makes it easy to understand.
Sam
Jun 28, 2013 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: animals
Baby Bear's Chairs!

Tongue! *Sam flips to the page of the Baby Bear in his High Chair with his tongue stuck out, and sticks out his own tongue*
Bethe
another delightfully illustrated book by Melissa Sweet, read it with Baby Bear's Books for a tender, fun storytime.
Inspired Kathy
Baby bear tries to find a chair for him and ultimately decides papa's lap is best.
Kyla
A great twist on the Goldilocks theme. Great read aloud.
Tyler
Tyler added it
Dec 10, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood