Start by marking “Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland” as Want to Read:
Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland

Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A selchie, a seal transformed into human form, lives on land with a lonely fisherman and his wife, until the day a great storm threatens the fisherman's life.
Published June 1st 1975 by Collins & World

To ask other readers questions about Greyling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greyling

Diane
Actually more like 3.5. The selchie story is interesting, the story beautifully told and the illustrations are lovely, but like Shonna I don't like the woman's helplessness and utter lack of identity apart from her husband and then child. It's not much of an excuse but it was published in 1968, so perhaps it's a sign of its time or maybe it's the traditional legend, and I'm just clueless. If so, I wish it had been updated a tad...
Shelli
On the Island of Shetland, in a hut covered with moss, there lived a fisherman and his devoted but lonely wife. All day long the fisherman labors to bring in fish for he and his wife while she is at home alone, day in day out year after year, looking at the cradle that continues to remain empty. Until one day the fisherman discovers a grey baby seal alone on the shore. This is no ordinary seal though but a selchie, a magical creature who takes the form of a man when on land and seal when in the ...more
Margot McCuaig
I won this on school prize-giving day when I was in primary 3. I loved it, and I read and reread it time and time again. It certainly gave me a passion for storytelling. I'm too scared to read it again with an adult head, it might take away some of the magic...
Rachel Dalton
This short story is a great representation of family and love. It requires inferring to understand the characters' emotions and also can be used for practicing prediction.
Jana
I shared this book with my 5th grade students and they really seemed to enjoy it. They had a lot of interesting ideas when we talked about the theme of the story.
Shonna
It's a sweet story, but I can't help bristling a bit at the stereotyped woman. She feels totally empty and lost if she can't have a child, she becomes so attached to the selchie boy (turns to a seal in water) that she will not allow him to experience all aspects of himself for fear of losing him. When her husband is in danger of drowning she calls to others to go help him rather than try herself. There's also a spread where the illustrations don't seem to jive with the text. Overall, I enjoyed t ...more
Preetha
fuck u
Dixie Diamond
I thought I owned this, but it turns out I just checked it out of the library so often I thought it was mine. I finally got my own copy a couple of years ago after I'd searched the house high and low and couldn't find "my" copy (because it had gone back to the library).
Carla
Another cute story about a couple who could not have children of their own and are given the chance to raise a boy who mysteriously appears as a seal in the ocean and changes to a boy on land.
Maria
I can't resist a book about selkies! This is an older book by Yolen, and has a very simple storytelling style.
Colleen Baker
Rewrite of an ancient Scottish tale. Hauntingly beautiful. Deals with childlessness, self-sacrifice, and tough choices.
Nautica
soooooo good i hade to read this in class english it was a great book
Cana
Great to read with a Scottish accent!
Kate
Apr 04, 2013 Kate added it
i will like to read
Sarah Swernofsky
Sarah Swernofsky marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Julian Hansana
Julian Hansana marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Anana Castro
Anana Castro marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Kyle Newgren
Kyle Newgren marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Emily Cortes rosado
Emily Cortes rosado marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Chris Haddlesey
Chris Haddlesey marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Sarang Lee
Sarang Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Sandy Sopko
Sandy Sopko marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
  • And Two Boys Booed
  • Steel Drivin' Man: John Henry, the Untold Story of an American Legend
  • Red Kite, Blue Kite
  • The Busy Tree
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood