Start by marking “Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland” as Want to Read:
Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland

Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland

A selchie, a seal transformed into human form, lives on land with a lonely fisherman and his wife, until the day a great storm threatens the fisherman's life.
Unknown Binding, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1975 by Collins & World

To ask other readers questions about Greyling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greyling

Shelli
Jan 11, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
On the Island of Shetland, in a hut covered with moss, there lived a fisherman and his devoted but lonely wife. All day long the fisherman labors to bring in fish for he and his wife while she is at home alone, day in day out year after year, looking at the cradle that continues to remain empty. Until one day the fisherman discovers a grey baby seal alone on the shore. This is no ordinary seal though but a selchie, a magical creature who takes the form of a man when on land and seal when in the ...more
Shonna
It's a sweet story, but I can't help bristling a bit at the stereotyped woman. She feels totally empty and lost if she can't have a child, she becomes so attached to the selchie boy (turns to a seal in water) that she will not allow him to experience all aspects of himself for fear of losing him. When her husband is in danger of drowning she calls to others to go help him rather than try herself. There's also a spread where the illustrations don't seem to jive with the text. Overall, I enjoyed t ...more
Diane
Mar 19, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Actually more like 3.5. The selchie story is interesting, the story beautifully told and the illustrations are lovely, but like Shonna I don't like the woman's helplessness and utter lack of identity apart from her husband and then child. It's not much of an excuse but it was published in 1968, so perhaps it's a sign of its time or maybe it's the traditional legend, and I'm just clueless. If so, I wish it had been updated a tad...
Dixie Diamond
I thought I owned this, but it turns out I just checked it out of the library so often I thought it was mine. I finally got my own copy a couple of years ago after I'd searched the house high and low and couldn't find "my" copy (because it had gone back to the library).
Annetha
Jan 21, 2016 Annetha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: island-reading
My 8 year old brought this home from the school library today, so excited. She told me she couldn't wait to share it, that I would "just love it!" She was right. What a darling tale, beautifully written.
Margot McCuaig
Apr 16, 2014 Margot McCuaig rated it really liked it
I won this on school prize-giving day when I was in primary 3. I loved it, and I read and reread it time and time again. It certainly gave me a passion for storytelling. I'm too scared to read it again with an adult head, it might take away some of the magic...
Rachel Dalton
This short story is a great representation of family and love. It requires inferring to understand the characters' emotions and also can be used for practicing prediction.
Maria
Sep 13, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it
I can't resist a book about selkies! This is an older book by Yolen, and has a very simple storytelling style.
Jana
Dec 03, 2014 Jana rated it really liked it
I shared this book with my 5th grade students and they really seemed to enjoy it. They had a lot of interesting ideas when we talked about the theme of the story.
Carla
Jul 30, 2009 Carla rated it liked it
Another cute story about a couple who could not have children of their own and are given the chance to raise a boy who mysteriously appears as a seal in the ocean and changes to a boy on land.
Colleen Baker
Aug 31, 2010 Colleen Baker rated it really liked it
Rewrite of an ancient Scottish tale. Hauntingly beautiful. Deals with childlessness, self-sacrifice, and tough choices.
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Claire Frances
Claire Frances rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2009
mara
mara rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
Aria Eve
Aria Eve rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2008
Ksenia
Ksenia rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Lilly Hopper
Lilly Hopper rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Monika Riney
Monika Riney rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2008
Chrissy Monir
Chrissy Monir rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Nautica
soooooo good i hade to read this in class english it was a great book
Ashley Hall
Ashley Hall rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2017
Noor Awad
Noor Awad rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
RobesonBoys
RobesonBoys rated it really liked it
May 18, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Gina Watson-Haley
Gina Watson-Haley rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Jt
Jt rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2009
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • Myths and Legends
  • Pecos Bill: A Tall Tale
  • The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
  • Malala, a Brave Girl from Pakistan/Iqbal, a Brave Boy from Pakistan: Two Stories of Bravery
  • Metal Cats
  • Loula Is Leaving for Africa
  • The Chickens Build a Wall
  • Water Buffalo Days: Growing Up in Vietnam
  • The Way Home: A Princess Story
  • The Baby Unicorn
  • The Crane Wife
  • Fireflies (Reading Rainbow)
  • Hey World, Here I Am!
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...