Start by marking “The Smiths: Songs that Saved Your Life” as Want to Read:
The Smiths: Songs that Saved Your Life

The Smiths: Songs that Saved Your Life

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  580 ratings  ·  35 reviews
One of the seminal groups of the 80s, The Smiths’ career was as brilliant as it was brief. Here, drawing on interviews with band members, producers, and colleagues, Simon Goddard presents a chronological survey of the group’s musical evolution, from their first demos in 1982 to their final studio session five years on. Investigating the stories behind the songs, he also of...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Reynolds & Hearn (first published December 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Smiths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smiths

April
The root cause of my love for these four really dates back to first hearing Frankly Mr Shankly on an old record in 2002 (at which point I'd have been about six years old). After that I pretty much fell in love with each of their songs and the harsh reality of life they presented whilst growing more and more enamoured with Morrissey but well never mind, never mind. I curse myself for not existing during the time when these guys were at their prime; by the time I was able to appreciate them in ful...more
Tim Chaplin
This is the perfect book for fans of the Smiths and Morrissey. Every song, concert or TV appearance is listed and it's a great history of The Smiths from the beginning to the bitter end with the royalty disputes, court cases and the beginning of Morrissey and Marr's solo careers.

I loved it so much that I have started to listen to the complete collection on Spotify "reissue! repackage! repackage!" (Paint a Vulgar Picture).
Corey
I am obsessed with the Smiths. This is well known. I bought this book (one I've been after for a few years) while in Portland at Powell's City of Books. It's a chronological breakdown of every Smiths song: the where, when, and how of it. Fantastically done, very thorough and with lots of great little stories.
Jessica
A start-to-finish index of all the songs The Smiths ever played or performed. While you can look up individual songs and just read about your favorites, the book read cover-to-cover provides an overarching look of the band's history. Don't expect a narrative, though; each song listing is a separate entry.
Craig
Sep 11, 2007 Craig rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Smiths fans
Definitely geared towards the hardcore Smiths fan, this book has all the info & stats on every song they ever recorded/performed... We're not getting any new music out of them, so a deeper knowledge of what we have is the next best thing. For the misunderstood teenager in all of us...
Alex
I bought this after (like many people my age) my life was turned on its head when i first heard "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and after that i became (almost)crazily obsessed with The Smiths (moreso with the (IMO) alien frontman Morrissey). I have to say this is a beautifully written book both professional in its conviction to not read like the gushing ideas of a strong fan who gathered bits and pieces to fomr his take on what happened, But also in the very human approach to not simply make it words...more
Drew Athans
My full and detailed review is on my website: http://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/2014/0...

GREAT book...even if you have the first edition (like I do), you MUST get this updated and revised version....it's far superior in almost every way and essential for any Smiths fan.
Daniel Sevitt
Acknowledges its debt to Revolution in the Head and then goes on to knock it out of the park. Simply delicious review of song genesis and structure. Written by an unashamed fan for unashamed fans. What a treat.
Jack Beltane
If you're looking for a gripping Smiths biography, this is not the book for you. There is plenty of "story" behind and between the songs, but the focus here is on how the songs came together and fit into the five-year career of the band. If you're a big Smiths fan or a fan of "the process" of music, you'll love this book. If you want gossip and interviews, you'd be better off looking somewhere else. Me? I loved it. Despite an angle that could be very dry and boring, Simon Goddard kept it interes...more
Joe Price
Exactly what I was hoping it would be, 'Songs That Saved Your Life' will quench the curiosity of even the most extreme fans of the band. Goddard not only explains the songs themes and meanings, but goes into when, where, how, why, and even each tracks effect and achievement. The level of detail is truly incredible.

Thanks to Goddard I look at The Smiths in a new light and love them more than ever!

I only wish I knew more about the making of music in an attempt to better understand and appreciate...more
Fernando
Una guía definitiva para amantes de la banda. Recorre su historia completa (los cinco años) canción por canción, detallando fuentes de las letras, logros técnicos en las grabaciones y las peripecias de los cuatro genios que crearon esos discos tan esenciales. Se puede leer seguido o tomar como referencia, lo cual es una ventaja. Su tono es el de un fan dedicado, definitivamente, lo cual a veces riñe con la calidad de los datos presentados.
Jasmine
I'm a Smiths fanatic so I'm not sure what I was hoping to find out in this book. Not much, really. Although it did lead me to Elizabeth Smart's "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept", which Morrissey has stolen, sometimes word for word, some of my favorite lyrics of his. Smiths fans - pass on this. Trying to take your Smiths fandom to the next level? Go for it.
Brian

This book does exactly what any music biography should aspire to: make you enjoy the music more. I've listened to this music for 25 years, so my experience with it was pretty much set in stone. But Goddard's mini-histories of each song brought a fresh perspective to each tune and had me going back and listening to them like the very first time.
Glenn Harper
Sep 11, 2008 Glenn Harper rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in The Smith and Morrissey.
Great, except for two things. Why is it that people always underate Unloveble? And, in that song, Morrissey quotes a published James Dean letter with the lines "I wear black on the outside because black is how I feel on the inside" and "if I seem a little strange, well that's because I am", which Moz biographiers always miss.
Christopher
This book brilliantly compiles a chronological encyclopaedia of The Smith's music, performances and television appearances while giving context to some of modern pop-music's most influential music. It's less a biography of a band and more a biography of modern Indie Music's greatest influence.
Edwin Gomez
If you are a Smiths fan this is the ultimate account of how every song was written, recorded and released (or not). It also tells the brief but powerful story of one of the best pop bands of all time. It was written with love and admiration and it was definitely received that way when I read it.
Craig Mcintyre
The only thing that could make this any better is complete lyrics, but you can't have everything. For a band who have survived, through legend, for so long it is pitiful how much is genuinely written about them. A good and concise reference guide.
Bryn Powell
An in-depth look at the writing and recording process for every Smiths song ever recorded. Even if you hate Morrissey & Marr the pre-digital tricks pulled off by engineer Stephen Street are worth the admission price alone.
Gemilia
this was brilliant!! definitely gave an in-depth look at the meanings behind all the songs, but never got into boring territory. would definitely recommend for anyone who considers themselves a fan.
minnie
Detailed book on every Smiths song and unheard tapes.Well written without all that digging in the past (see Johnny Rogan).This is to Smiths Fans what 'Revolution in the Head' is to Beatles fans.
Evan Ross
Long time fan of The Smiths but never knew anything about them other than that Moz was an is a morose vegetarian. This wasn't what I was expecting but still a good read.
Nicholas Why
A chronology of the songs that did indeed save my life & taught me about British humour. A must-read for all Smiths fans on the greatest songwriting duo since Lennon & McCartney.
Mike
Hagiographic in some spots but a really great look at The Smiths and the songs. The highest praise I can give it is that it made me re-evaluate their debut album.
Linda
I bought this to mark having lived two years past the day I had marked off as for suicide. Appropriate title is appropriate. Anyway, this is a great resource.
Jamie
Magnificent! Goddard used Revolution in the Head, (the best book about The Beatles in my opinion,) as his blueprint.
Well done!
Lisa
Have to be a fan and know the songs to get anything out of it, but being that I did enjoy some "flashback" reading.
Adam
A fantastic, well-written stroll through every song every written by The Smiths - told in chronological order.
Melusina
By far the best Smiths book out there! For those who are actually interested in the music, not the feuds.
A bit too figures-orientated for my liking although it did provide the good old gem about the band.
Michael Abernethy
Exhaustingly thorough and filled with insight after insight into the legendary band's music.
  • Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance
  • Nick Drake: The Biography
  • Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey
  • Krautrocksampler
  • OK Computer
Simon Goddard (born 21 December 1971) is a British author and music journalist.

Goddard is the great-great-great nephew of the Victorian artist and designer George Charles Haité and prior to journalism studied fine art. In 1995 he directed and designed the promo video for Edwyn Collins' single "If You Could Love Me".[1] He has written two books on The Smiths and their former lead singer Morrissey,...more
More about Simon Goddard...
Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths Ziggyology: A Brief History Of Ziggy Stardust Simply Thrilled: The Preposterous Story of Postcard Records Rolleresque Ziggyology: A Brief History of Ziggy Stardust