Start by marking “Sole Sisters: Stories of Women and Running” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  48 reviews

More than 11 million women run regularly, a number that's growing every year. They tend to be educated and affluent-the perfect audience for Sole Sisters.

Half of all runners are women, and they are changing the face of the sport. It's a social outlet, a healthful way to improve mental well-being, and an opportunity to form bonds with like-minded women.

Sole Sisters: Stories

Published March 1st 2006 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sole Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sole Sisters

Robynne
In the end, I would rather hear stories about average runners racing in average races with average finish times.....those are the runners that truly inspire me. Running a sub 3 or even 4 hour marathon is great and deserves massive amounts of credit. But those that do it in 5, 6, or even 8 hours are the ones that move me to tears when I watch them finish. Those are my hero's.
Katie
I devoured this book in about two hours. It's short and a quick read, but running is also one of those topics that I just tend to fly through. I really do wish it had been longer though!

This book consisted of stories of different real-life women runners, from elite world-record-setting marathon runners to middle-aged recovering addict moms. There was even a 7-year-old girl in one of the stories (who seemed to have an impressive natural talent even at that young age). I enjoyed hearing different
Calamus
Ranging from a running group for Mom’s-Only to a late-blooming Olympian to a cancer survivor embarking on a 5K run with her sisters, Sole Stories is a collection of short essays that are engaging and inspiring. The women’s stories invoke a sisterhood mentality without becoming too clichéd—thankfully no bonding sessions over chocolate, wine, and shoe shopping. Instead, Lin and Warner show how running can be used as a conduit to friendships, discovering unknown strengths, and dealing with our demo ...more
TK
Apr 03, 2008 TK rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginner female runners
Shelves: running
I was hoping for more. Now, granted, I am a tough critic because of my publishing insider status, so I'm jaded and suspect of pretty much any book that comes with a concept of a theme. However, I thought my skepticism of a collection of essays about women bonding through running would be balanced out by my own passion for running, and the romantic view I admittedly have of the sport, as both participant and spectator. Alas, that was not quite the case.

I started reading SOLE SISTERS several month
Michelle
I've been reading a chapter or two each night for a few weeks now as a way of inspiring myself to get back into running.

Each of the stories in this book are inspiring, but not in the way I expected. I guess I expected more "running did such and such for me," but what I took away from it was the beauty of female friendship through running. However, there was definitely a lot of "running did such and such for me," and yes, I am inspired to get back to running.

This is an easy read, an inspiring re
Kathy
I really want to get back into running. So I keep picking up these motivational running books about women.
This one consists of several short-short stories about different women runners. The first story talks about two women who became friends and running partners. One had not run for 17 years and was now 34 years old and became an awesome runner. I haven't run for over 30 years, and it really does seem impossible to get there. I can barely jog -- and at the present I am a bit down as my back ha
Jodi
What a great book. It is filled with many stories about women who have never ran who have come together and have found a passion and friendship. The book was a great inspiration at really reminded me of all the woman I have helped to start in running over the years. I never really thought about, but I was always the runner who never wanted a partner, but always seemed to have one. Woman were always there asking to run and I always accepted. They have come and gone in my life, but I will never fo ...more
Jess Lyons
I liked the stories, but I would have loved even more stories of normal, everyday women. Still, it's fun to learn about the history of some of the women who have paved ways for many of us in running.
Ginger
This is a short quick read. I would have loved for more stories of just average women runners, but the stories included were definitely interesting.
Marci Lambert
Enjoyable read about everyday and elite women runners.
April
Fun collection of short stories. I found some of the stories hard to really relate to as a "bad day mile of 5 MINUTES" is not something that will ever be in my vocabulary. The daily challenges and training obstacles faced by each woman throughout the book were truly inspiring: running to commemorate breast cancer survival, running professional series races only months after giving birth, starting a running group (aptly named "SeeJaneRun") for new moms...

Fast, fun, easy read.
Miranda Diaz
Short, sweet read chalk full of endearing tales of what running has meant to a variety of women in their individual life journeys. I love a story about a strong woman, reading about the struggles and victories of these amazing women who blazed the trails for others. Really inspiring, I only wish it was longer and that the tales encompassed a wider range of women runners and not just the elite runners. Really loved the theme of sisterhood in this book though.
Kim
Mar 14, 2011 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: running
I read this book to balance the extremely dry reading of a education book I was plodding through. Sole Sisters is the running equivalent to all those "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books. The short stories were quick reads. Some were inspirational, some I could relate to, and some reminded me that elite runners are regular people too. Not great writing, but something that definitely kept me engaged (or at least more engaged than that boring education book).
Megan
Really enjoyed this collection of stories - essentially Chicken Soup for the Runner's Soul...
Melody
Feb 01, 2008 Melody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melody by: Mary Ann
Inspiring stories about running females. You learn about one of the centipedes in the Bay to Breakers run; a woman who runs with her horses and a whole lot of women who never ran in their life and suddenly after a divorce or a serious illness they decide to take it up and, damn it all, if they don't win the very first marathon they enter AND go on to compete in the Olympics.

A Christmas present from MA.
Celeste
I got this book on my Kindle. I can't remember why, but I think it's because of the subject matter.

This book is made up of chapters that are about all kinds of female runners. The stories are short and formulaic and somewhat inspirational. The writing was not all that good. There was no flow or "voice" in the writing. It read as something amateur, like a student's work. I went ahead and finished it.
Rebecca
A set of short stories about women who run. What I loved is that they wern't all athletes and some had come from not being able to get off the couch to completing marathons. After a bad run early in the week, this book has helped me realise that I'm not too fat to run and that even those who run all the time have a bad day. Just what I needed.
Deidre
Short, sweet, to-the-point. There's nothing magical about this book, really. It's just a collection of stories about women in running, which, while relatable, seem short and not that fulfilling.

Still, good for a short burst of feminine drive. As a mom, runner, and struggler throigh life, I enjoyed it and felt good stuff happen.
Lesley
By and large, I enjoyed the stories in the book. I especially enjoyed learning more about runners like Grete Waitz and Joan Benoit, as well as some of the stories about running groups. Some of the themes were a bit predictable, but others were more unique. Still, I enjoy reading running stories, and this is a nice collection.
B

good read...
not sure what i was expecting, but it was basically a series of nice articles - all encouraging, feel-good etc. almost too much good stuff to read all the way through...felt like there should be a technical article between the heart warming stories to cleanse the palette a bit and make me appreciate them all :)
Heather
This was a very interesting book. But being a slow runner, I couldnt help but notice almost all of the stories were about elite runners. And at one point, they referred to my pace as a "waddle". I would have enjoyed it more if they had more stories of women who ran despite their slowness.
Angela Mcvay
I really enjoyed this book and could relate to the stories of why women run and what motivates them. Many stories were of elite professional female runners, and I enjoyed their competitiveness. Very motivating and inspiring book that also shared stories of female running groups.
Cristina Garcia
This book is just the sort of motivation I need to get me out the door and on the pavement. Whenever I read of regular women such as myself learning how to run and excelling I felt I could do it too. I see myself rereading some of these stories in the near future.
Maria
I LOVED this book! It has inspired me to continue running and racing. I was so moved by the stories of female runners throughout the world. When I run it does give me a sense of freedom and happiness and accomplishment. And I am glad so many are also taking part in it.
Lisa
I LOVED this book!!! It is just short stories about women runners. Very inspirational stories from young to old. Great motivation to get me back out on the road!
Nora Compton
I read this in just a few hours on a flight. Lots of great short stories about women - running was not always the focus but was generally the glue. Some stories made me laugh. Some made me cry (literally, a bit embarrassing on the plane). I highly recommend.
Cindy
I feel like the stories are good ( I really loved some!), but the writing is so mediocre that I even felt like it usually didn't do the stories justice--guess I'm just not into the newspaper type of writing though.
Ann
This is a collection of essays about women and running, that I read over the course of the last year. They're very short, inspirational, and good reminders of the importance of exercise and friendship.
Ki
J- rated. Not offensive at all.

It was a good short read. Runners, and even non-runners would find it encouraging and inspiring. Sometimes it's really good to be a woman.
Elizabeth
I love inspirational running stories and this group had a great mix. Not everyone was a hidden talent or a cancer survivor but all were getting something out of running.
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Athletic Dreams in the Body You Have Now
  • Marathoning for Mortals: A Regular Person's Guide to the Joy of Running or Walking a Half-Marathon or Marathon
  • Women Who Run
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness
  • Run Like a Girl: How Strong Women Make Happy Lives
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts
  • The Complete Book Of Running For Women
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)