Start by marking “The Other Woman” as Want to Read:
The Other Woman

The Other Woman

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  26,646 Ratings  ·  651 Reviews
Newly engaged, Ellie is thrilled to be accepted into the loving Cooper clan—which seems like the perfect family she never had—until she begins to realize that Dan’s mom, Linda, is a little too involved. Dan and Linda talk on the phone every day. Twice a day. As Dan and Ellie’s intimate civil wedding ceremony gets transformed into a black-tie affair, Ellie begins to wonder ...more
Audio CD, 11 pages
Published March 3rd 2005 by Penguin Audio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Woman

Theresa
I thought this would be a light, easy, fun read. Instead, depressing and a little annoying.

The gist of the story is that Ellie marries Dan knowing that his mother is a control freak and that her son is still connected by the apron strings. Ellie and Dan have a child and the mother-in-law interferes in every aspect of their lives to the point of causing an accident with said grandchild. Ellie and Dan separate. Ellie learns a lot about life.

Ellie is whiny. There were way too many times that she sh
Christa
Jun 07, 2008 Christa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Ellie Black believes she has found the perfect man for her in Dan Cooper, and is thrilled when he asks her to marry him. She is relieved that his family seems to like her, and believes that she is finally going to feel a part of a loving family. Things start to go awry when Dan's mother completely takes over wedding preparations, leaving Ellie to feel like a spectator at her own wedding. After the wedding, Dan's mother's manipulations begin to really bother Ellie, and she doesn't feel like Dan i ...more
Rea Cobb
May 30, 2011 Rea Cobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I am a fan of most of Jane Green books. There have only been two in which I cannot say I was impressed. I brought The Other Woman by Jane Green and took it away with me for the weekend to read and I have to say I couldn't put it down, I was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed this book. I will tell you a little about the plot and what I liked and disliked about this book.

*******PLOT********
This book is told from the main character, Ellie's point of view. Ellie has had quite a i
Anna
Nov 08, 2010 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only picked up this book because we were banned from using the internet at work and it was a very slow week. This has to be one of the most depressing, frustrating, banal and predictable books I've ever read. Ellie is whiney and much more like her mother in law than she thinks. Dan is a pushover mama's-boy. Dan's mother is controlling. There you have it. The plot practically writes itself. This could have been any family in any country. Many women have overbearing mothers-in-law, but they lear ...more
Beverly
Jan 18, 2009 Beverly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tedious, predictable story of a British woman, motherless, who deals with an overbearing mother-in-law. Presented as light, humorous chick lit, but isn't funny or entertaining at all.
Lakeshia
Jul 22, 2009 Lakeshia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Read a couple of the reviews and some were quite negative. Most thought it was too depressing. Jane Green did a fantastic job of capturing the essence of marriage. She kept it real.
Every day is not going to be rosy. And you're not going to always like your mother-in-law. Green took us from the beginning of the relationship, to the middle and end. You really began to wonder if this couple will make it. It's hard to be in a relationship with a man who is a "mamas boy."
I've never heard of Jane Gr
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
**WARNING, SPOILERS BELOW**
This was my first Jane Green book, and this is the first of many more to come! I absolutely adored this book and the storyline behind it! I related to some of the characters and I really liked Ellie. I sympathized with her a lot especially when she had to deal with her emotions regarding Linda her mother in law. Although I felt Ellie was over reacting at times towards Linda, I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her. She had some sadness in her life and in looking for lov
Joy H.
Feb 07, 2011 Joy H. marked it as read-partially  ·  review of another edition
Re: _The Other Woman_ by Jane Green

The word for this book is "banal". By that I mean it had no depth. It was what I call "house-wifey". The writing style did nothing to redeem the boring plot which boiled down to an over-bearing mother-in-law.

I agreed with Anna's GR review of this book at:
It was in Anna's review that I came across the word "banal" and said to myself that it was a perfect name for one of my GR book shelves. So I created that shelf to includ
Lorna
Aug 17, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Green's books are so captivating, you find yourself bringing your current read with you everywhere...just in case you get a few minutes to check back in with the heroine of the story. "The Other Woman" is no exception, especially for those of us who have struggled with the adjustment of entering our husband's family and dealing with a new set of rules and, often, conflicting personalities. This thoughtful, heart-rending tale will allow you to step back and consider what is truly important ...more
Gretchen
Dec 15, 2008 Gretchen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Irrational behavior stresses me out. Consequently, this book totally stressed me out in the middle. Don't worry, though. By the end everyone had stopped acting like idiots. Despite the stress of the middle, I really enjoyed this book. Jane Green is a favorite author of mine - and this didn't disappoint!
Jan 17, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of her best. Too much moaning about the mother in law for me and the husband was a bit wimpy - Jane usually writes such strong, gorgeous men
Colleen Pence
Feb 02, 2008 Colleen Pence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yep. I'm still on a major Jane Green kick. This one was great and I blew through it. Next, I want to get my hands on her latest, "Swapping Lives."
Kim 'BookAddict'
It was an okay read. I liked it. A bit too dramatic when it comes to the romance, in my opinion. But I liked that the book took a turn that i didn't really expect toward the end.
Dark-Draco
Nov 06, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
The fact that the cover of this book is pink AND sparkly, should have had me running a mile. But after reading a few heavy books, I wanted something fluffy and light. It actually took me by surprise as it wasn't the run of the mill chic-lit and had a definate darker side.

Eliie has the perfect boyfriend and can't wait to become part of his family. After losing her mother when she was young, she embraces her mother-in-law with all her heart. But Linda isn't very good with boundaries and is constan
Kristi Sawyer
"So damn readable!" - this was critical acclaim for one of Jane Green's other books, but it is very true! The storyline here was pretty standard: girl meets boy, they fall in love, get married, have a child, all surrounded by her girl friends and an overpowering mother-in-law, then they start having issues. Nothing new really! But it was narrated by Ellie, the 'girl' in this story, and written in such a way that she directly addresses the reader, and makes the story leap out of the book! I reall ...more
Neelum
Jan 14, 2013 Neelum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Expecting a super cliche this turned out to be pretty good. An unexpected perspective, different from the conventional dramatic thinking when it comes to the in-laws, this was actually fun and warm and fuzzy and made you realize that it takes two hands to clap.
One of those weekend reads which make you smile and realize that everything is going to be okay and life is actually not always filled with hardships.
I enjoy how Jane Green writes with honesty, how not everyone falls perfectly into the p
Julie
Jul 08, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It wasn't meant to be funny and uplifting. It was meant to show that relationships aren't perfect but if you can find a way to work through them its worth it. Jane Green wrote it in a way that made me feel Ellie's pain/anger. Its easy to say that if it were me I would have stood up to Linda but you never really know until you are in that situation. I'm fortunate to have a wonderful mother-in-law but there have been times when I've bit my tongue where I normally wouldn't have j ...more
Jennifer Davis
I decided I needed something fun and 'fluffy' after reading the book about The Troubles. Well, I can't say 1 out of 2 ain't bad - this was fluffy alright, but it was not fun. I have read one other of Jane Green's books (Jemima J) and I enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give this a go (did the book on CD for my commute) - bad choice. The writing was bad - annoyingly bad - and the story was not engaging. I didn't like the main character - I thought she made stupid choices and did not agree when she tho ...more
Sheila
Feb 03, 2016 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie’s mother died when she was 13 and she was raised as an only child by her father. All her life she wished she was part of a big happy family. When she meets Dan and his family, she falls head over heals for them all. She finally has a sister and the mother she always wanted. As time progresses, Ellie begins to feel that her mother-in-law is ‘the other woman’ in her marriage. She has to learn how to work with her mother-in-law or risk turmoil in her relationship with Dan. Very good book!
Hannah Mayes
Aug 13, 2009 Hannah Mayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Jane Green really gets you into the characters lives. You feel like they are one of your close friends and you really feel for them when something goes wrong in their life. This was one of those books that while I was reading it I just kept telling myself 'it's ok I'll just read a little more and then go to bed' then the next time i looked at the clock it was 2 a.m. and I still didn't want to put the book down.
Carol
Feb 25, 2011 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the second time Ms. Green used the phrase "scraped her hair back into a pony tail" I almost threw this thing aside. But how often does anyone write about dealing with a mother-in-law? So I read the first quarter and last quarter, and I would urge a future edition of this book to consider the chopping block.
Paula Sealey
Aug 24, 2009 Paula Sealey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful author Jane Green is! I thought this book was brilliant, such inciteful writing concerning the relationship between Mother-in-Law/Daughter-in-Law.

I seethed along with Ellie in places, and then came to feel sorry for Linda. And I'm a sucker for slushy romance, so I enjoyed the ending:D

May 04, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story of a stereotypical daughter and mother-in-law as a lot of it rang very true for me. I found the story to be quite funny at some times and also feeling quite frustrated for the primary character.

But I did not enjoy the ending, it was too contrived and felt like an ending of convenience and not one that required a lot of forethought and consideration.
Roberta
Feb 11, 2011 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, chicklit
Lettura piacevole (soprattutto la prima parte, piuttosto carina) poi la questione diventa ridicola e viene svolta malissimo.
Noke
Jun 22, 2010 Noke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great girly book to any woman that has a mother-in-law or mother of a boyfriend that is way too involved. There is more of a story line than I expected and I was pleasantly surprised.
Jessica
Maybe it's my pregnancy hormones but I really fet, through most of the book, that the main character was over reating. Now that I've finished the book -- I realize that was the whole point! LOL
Kadie
Jan 06, 2009 Kadie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny at times, but it was also frustrating and quite sad at other times. A nice, "full of fluff" book.
Kat
Jul 28, 2015 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh-what-no
I don't like Ellie at all. She's selfish and just... narrow-minded and aggressive. It got better as she got some insight, but overall... bleh.
Rory Sylverne-nordberg
Was like reading a semi-autobiography of my life! It hit very close to mother in law territory!
Melissa
Apr 29, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for anyone that has a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Other Woman by Jane Green 1 24 Aug 03, 2015 09:28AM
Ellie 5 35 Jun 07, 2014 10:41PM
  • As Seen on TV
  • Mommy Tracked
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • The Goddess Rules
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Frenemies
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Little White Lies
  • Asking for Trouble
  • The Next Big Thing
  • Bare Necessity
  • Nearlyweds
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi
More about Jane Green...

“That's the thing about theories. You can theorize what you want, but at the end of the day when your theories become reality, when the situation you have theorized about is suddenly presented to you, your theories go flying out the windowز” 2 likes