Start by marking “Across the Pond” as Want to Read:
Across the Pond

Across the Pond

Across The Pond by Michael McCormick is the story of a young American who fights in the Vietnam War for his country, only to be rejected when he comes home. The author based the book on his experience as a U.S. Marine who served in combat.

Praise for Across the Pond:
"This little book grips the reader from the beginning and does not let go. It is written with the violence an
Published January 1st 1994 by Vantage Press

To ask other readers questions about Across the Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the Pond

Mary Latela
Sep 03, 2015 Mary Latela rated it it was amazing
For those of us who stayed home, praying for brother, boyfriend, cousins to come home safe after Vietnam, this is a shocking reminder of those times. Michael McCormick brings back into focus the horrors of war: killing, fear of being killed, turning around to find that your buddy is dead. Day after day, here in the States, we saw TV reports of the "body count." But the bodies and souls of our military warriors are real; those who survived came home. Some, like the character Sean McBride, kept ri ...more
Marjolein
May 01, 2015 Marjolein rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-english, arc
2.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I always find it hard to say something about a book that's obviously as personal as this one. It is without a doubt a very felt account of one's time in Vietnam. But as a story, it fell short for me.

Basically because it was all over the place. It is a very short story and it's divided into so many flashbacks and changes of timepoints that I still got confused and it was hard for me to get into the story.

I think it might probabl
Alysia
Mar 06, 2015 Alysia rated it really liked it
This book brought lots of memories for me. My dad was in the Vietnam War and he used to tell me a few stories. He told me about what he did while there and ARMY songs they sang. He never told me anything bad, usually. This book reminded me of my Dad, I lost him 6 years ago and I miss him sooo much everyday. I enjoyed this book a little more since this made me feel closer to him again and I have always been a little curious about the war because of him. * I received this book from the author in e ...more
Shin The Bookworm
Mar 30, 2015 Shin The Bookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, for-blog-tour
This is an interesting short novel about a young soldier who fought in Vietnam War. I felt so much emotions in this book, with the descriptive details of the violent scenes in the war and the struggles of the protagonist's life after his homecoming.

A compelling yet emotionally painful read. If this was a full-length novel then i don't think I will be able to finish reading it without having an emotional breakdown.

A recommended read that will give the readers insight of what the Vietnam War veter
Rickus Bookshelf
Nov 30, 2015 Rickus Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Short, but powerful. This is an honest and no-nonsense account of the Vietnam War from a marines point-of-view. It doesn't hold back and makes you realise just how gruesome the Vietnam War really was. A recommended read to accompany anyone interested in the war or currently studying the Vietnam war for school. Full review over here: https://rickusbookshelf.wordpress.com...
Julia Grantham
May 30, 2015 Julia Grantham rated it it was amazing
Review of Across The Pond by Michael McCormick

I was awed by Michael McCormick’s stunning novella, which is based on his experience in Vietnam during the Tet offensive in 1968. There is such power and emotion in this simply told story of a young Marine, Sean, or Mac, as he is known in Vietnam.

Gripping, raw, visceral, McCormick assaults your senses, telling the story in a straightforward manner, like the great masters, with showing, never telling, without distracting embellishments and, in McCorm
Jessie B.
Feb 11, 2015 Jessie B. rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant! It’s remarkable to think that truth exists behind the narrative of this book as many of us have heard the stories of the Vietnam vets that were rejected and abused after serving their country overseas during a war. It’s disgusting to think that we can treat our own men and women with such disservice yet we can give others that have become burdens on society better treatment. People forget that if it wasn’t for these brave young men and women that we wouldn’t be living the ...more
Sandy Sandmeyer
Mar 29, 2015 Sandy Sandmeyer rated it it was amazing
Across the Pond by Michael McCormick is the story of a young American who fights for his country during the war in Vietnam, only to be rejected when he returns home. The author, based the book on his personal experience as an infantry squad leader who served in combat.

In the foreword for the book, author Ron Kovic writes, “This little book grips the reader from the very beginning and does not let go.”

Across the Pond is a novella that has a total of 54 pages, so it’s easy to sit down and read in
Chelsea
Apr 23, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Characters: Mac was an amazing and strong character who suffered much because of the war and the aftereffects of war. I don't know if I would have been able to endure everything that Mac had went through. After his first horrible experience in the book, which began my never ending tears for him, I don't think I could have continued like he had. I was so appalled by how people reacted toward him near the end (except for Lupa), and it makes me mad that this book was a reflection of what really hap ...more
Destiny Brown
Mar 24, 2015 Destiny Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and emotional read!

This was my first exploration of a Michael McCormick book so I didn’t know what to expect. That was a good thing because then I had the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised. Across the Pond is a fictional take on real circumstance as the story follows “Mac” into the Vietnam war and back again. It is an intense and jaw clenching peek into this mans life as he struggles to assimilate back into some sense of normalcy after enduring the horrors of war. Is that even pos
Mandy
Mar 22, 2015 Mandy rated it it was ok
Having read some reviews of this novel, all of which laud it to the skies, and having read the equally eulogistic introduction from Ron Kovic, who compares it with other great war novels such as All Quiet on the Western Front and The Red Badge of Courage, I was expecting something quite special. But I didn’t get it and I simply don’t understand why readers are so enthusiastic about this spare, short novella which although visceral and obviously deeply felt, is not particularly good fiction. Base ...more
Michele
Feb 16, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing
What a powerful little novel this is. It is only 42 pages long but filled with word images that may never leave me. I know a lot of guys who went to Vietnam. Those who came back were disillusioned and angry, not the same people as when they left. None of them to this day will talk about it. If you ask them, they will kind of glare at you and turn around and walk away. I was not one of those who took part in the anti war movement--but I definitely remember it like it was yesterday.

Because this wa
Michelle Heegaard
Mar 05, 2015 Michelle Heegaard rated it liked it
Shelves: review
I received this as an E-arc from netgalley in return of an honest review:
I enjoyed reading this book. The story was very lively written and I have no doubt that they could have happened in real life.
One thing I did not appreciate though was the fact that you could feel the smarter eyes from the future looking back at the past. I could have been interesting to see the Vietnam war from the point of view you had at that time.
Another thing that ruined it for me was how short it actually was. It co
Eric
Feb 12, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Across the pond is extremely well-written and full of graphic details that are painful to read. As I read the book I found myself zoning off and putting myself in Mac’s shoes. The multiple firefights became easy to picture, watching friends die, and smelling so much death around. I feel like the burdens that are burned into McBride’s mind are passed onto the reader in many ways. War is something that nobody should ever have to experience; the things you see are horrendous and terrifying. Reading ...more
Diane
Jun 05, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing
Dedicated to the veterans of the Vietnam War, Across the Pond tells of a young man who fought for his country in Vietnam, returned home, and faced abandonment and hostility because of his actions overseas. This subject might not be a new one to many, but the heart of any story lies in the way it's told - and Across the Pond is an enlightening, moving saga that explains not just one young man's changes, but how America changed because of Vietnam.

One might anticipate a weighty survey, but the plea
Lebora
Sep 25, 2015 Lebora rated it it was amazing
Across the Pond is a powerful novella that shows how the Vietnam War, and its immediate aftermath, affected one man and those around him. It does contain realistic, and sometimes emotionally painful to read, descriptions of war. The author does not hold anything back. While the book was short (I wanted more!), it was a complete story that ultimately left me a bit sad but satisfied with what I read. I have admit this book touched me personally. My father initially enlisted during the Vietnam War ...more
Melanie
Apr 03, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
My dad was haunted by the experience if being in Vietnam & the only time he would talk about it was if he was drinking. When I was younger I didn't realize just how much he was affected & that the stories he told were the few, little things that were what he held on to as he tried to mask & forget the more terrible things. This book shines a flashlight on all of that. Nicely put together to give you a little glimpse of what the vets went through & experienced but it's only the ti ...more
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Review: ACROSS THE POND by Michael McCormick (Vietnam Veteran)

The Vietnam War has a literature all its own--really, I suppose all wars do--and that fact is important. Keeping alive memories and reminiscences, emotions and recall, facts and events, is essential, not just in potentially dry history ( though some gifted historians know how to bring an era to life), but through memoirs and fictionalized accounts. Vietnam Veteran Michael McCormick provides a visceral introduction to the sights, sound
P Bee
Feb 09, 2015 P Bee rated it it was amazing
This book transports you back in time 30+ years to the Vietnam War. The author tosses you right into the action on the first page. It's intense and you can't put it down.

This is the story of a young man that experienced many atrocities of war and came home alive. The country he came back to was very different from the one he left, as there was no welcome home. The emotions the book evokes are raw, as raw as it probably was for the author when he returned after his own tour.

I would recommend thi
Holly
Feb 22, 2015 Holly rated it it was amazing
Captivating and simple, this book relays the experiences of a man stuck in the Vietnam war, both in Vietnam and at home.it was a lot shorter than i would have expected, and the bpok would do well with adding a few more stories into its depths. As it stands, it takes less than an hour to read, but the images will stay with you a lot longer than that. There's nothing overly graphic, just a feeling of the desolation the war brings.
Well done, mate.
5/5
Bella
Feb 10, 2015 Bella rated it it was amazing
I have always been fascinated with the Vietnam War and I was extremely excited to find Across the Pond. This is a work of fiction about a young soldier that would do anything for his country, yet like many soldiers upon his arrival home he has a hard time fitting back into society. This book was full of emotion, drama and suspense. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the Vietnam War, the era surrounding it or just a plain good novel.
Peter Crooks (Dalibor)
Feb 13, 2015 Peter Crooks (Dalibor) rated it it was amazing
An outstanding book that disclosed the history of the Vietnam War. I could not put the book down. The actions and the suspense captivated my attention from the very first page.

It's a story of a young American who survived during the war. The way this story has written by Michael McCormick, I'm impressed. The feelings of survival were amazing, and I loved it.

Across The Pond by Michael McCormick is a masterpiece, that I must recommend.
Lizistanton
Sep 01, 2016 Lizistanton rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. The pathos of the "welcome" home that greeted these heroes strikes me and makes me cry. It also makes me madder than hell that the cowards who wouldn't stand up and go when called by their country made it harder on those who met their commitments.
Auntsarah
Auntsarah rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Bill Davis
Bill Davis rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Autumn
Autumn rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Michael McCormick
Michael McCormick rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Cas Roberts
Cas Roberts rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Word Slinger
Word Slinger rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Destiny Brown
Destiny Brown rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Charles Michael McCormick grew up in Ohio, USA, and was awarded the Purple Heart and the Silver Star Medal for combat action during the Vietnam War. After the war, he earned his B.A. in psychology and his M.A. in clinical psychology. He now lives in Oakland, California.
More about Michael McCormick (Vietnam Veteran)...