Start by marking “My Lords, Ladies and Marjorie” as Want to Read:
My Lords, Ladies and Marjorie

My Lords, Ladies and Marjorie (Edwardian Candlelight #13)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Miss Marjorie Montmorency-James was very lovely, very young, and very impressionable. Which is why she fell in love with Lord Philip's picture in the newspaper. Until then, she had only fantasized about a mysterious, shadowy lover whose features were never quite clear.

Now she had a real live nobleman to dream about. Little did she suspect that she would soon meet Lord Phil
Published December 1st 1993 by Severn House Publishers (first published October 1981)

To ask other readers questions about My Lords, Ladies and Marjorie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Lords, Ladies and Marjorie

A different time period, similar story. Seventeen year old Marjorie Montmorency-James lives in a backwater country village with her middle-class grandmother. There are no men at all in their village and Marjorie dreams of a nameless, faceless man to fall in love with. When she sees a picture of Lord Philip Cavendish in a picture in the newspaper, she falls madly in love with him and is determined her grandmother should give her a London Season so she may have a chance to see him in thr flesh. Ma ...more
Marjorie Montmerency-Jones is an heiress – but her money comes from trade so she may not be acceptable to high society. Marjorie herself is a very good mimic and when she has her first season she starts to imitate young women about her with results which are far from being what she intended. She falls in love with Lord Philip but his unofficial fiancée decides to eliminate the competition – permanently.

I started off thinking Marjorie was just a stupid little girl but I gradually warmed to her an
A bit of a rambler this one, and the first romance I've read with a full complement of anarchists.
Extra cute and fun for a fluffy Edwardian romance.
Jan 06, 2015 Alicia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one in particular--see review
Recommended to Alicia by: No one
Review to come
Beaton is such a funny writer. I love her take on the Edwardian morality and fashions. She knows what women were like and captures that young immaturity so well. Philip is the perfect moronic aristocrat with no feelings or not many anyway. He is well punished by being captured by Hermione in marriage. Whereas Marjorie and Robert are so unexpected but meant to be.
Lynne Tull
This is one of the few books/series I would read again. These stories of Marion Chesney started me on my adventure...reading Regency Romance/Novels/History! There is not a set of books that will teach you more about the basics about life in Regency England. There are six series with six books each. I love them all. It must be a "past life" thing:)
Marisa Valle
I just re-read this one and I forgot how annoying Marjorie was through most of the book. Phillip is a cad and she must be blind not to see it but fortunately she eventually grows up and realizes the person she should have chosen all along.
Beth Sullivan
Always enjoy Beaton
Mary Howard
Mary Howard marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Beiza added it
Oct 29, 2015
Bree marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Kaitlin Martin
Kaitlin Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Dreamer marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly
More about Marion Chesney...

Edwardian Candlelight (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Polly (Edwardian Candlelight, #1) (Regency Love, #5)
  • Molly (Regency Love, #6)
  • Ginny (Regency Love, #7)
  • Tilly (Regency Love, #9)
  • Susie (Regency Love, #10)
  • Kitty (Regency Love, #2)
  • Daisy (Regency Love, #3)
  • Sally (Regency Love, #13)
  • Maggie (Regency Love, #14)
  • Poppy (Regency Love, #12)