Start by marking “The Hickory Chair” as Want to Read:
The Hickory Chair

The Hickory Chair

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Here is a story to read with someone you love. Louis and his grandmother are inseparable. They know each other so well that Louis feels he can even see his grandmother, though he has been blind since birth. That love carries him through the very worst moments when Gran is gone, and when Louis seems to be forgotten.
Published February 1st 2001 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2000)

Bernice
This book was rather uncomfortable for me to read. In the beginning we hear of a boy's relationship with his grandmother. A hickory chair is what brought the two together and was a special place for them. But suddenly the grandmother dies in the story and the rest of the story is about them splitting up her will and what the grandmother left to each person in the family. The grandmother hides a little note for each of the family members, but they are unable to find the note that she left for her ...more
Caitlin Barclay
The main character in this book is a little boy who is blind. His grandmother teaches him how to search for things without sight. When she dies he is sad because he misses her but then he finds a wonderful surprise from her! This is another story that shows readers what having a disability is like--almost just like regular life! This story can be a resource for teaching about disabilities but can (and should) be put into the classroom library.
Pamela Howard
This was an extremely heart felt book that I would love to use as a mini- lesson for a 3rd or 4th grade class because of the author's amazing use of descriptive dialogue that can assist the students with this technique for a writer's workshop. As I read, I was captivated by the details of the grandmother, and I began to smell the bleach as well as the other scents described. I also could use this book as a tool for teaching about the loss of a loved one and how some families deal with their emot ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A gentle story about a blind boy who misses his grandmother after she dies, and finds a gift she leaves hidden for him where only he would find it.
Garren
A book about a blind boy and his relationship with his grandmother. The ending made me roll my eyes, but it was nice to read a first-person story from a blind child that was about what he could do, not what he couldn't. The illustrations are in an interesting style: foreground characters and the furniture they're on are detailed, while the backgrounds are almost non-existent. Also, it's subtle because of the way everything is painted, but no one in the book has their eyes open.
Nicole Massa
This story follows a young boy, who is blind. He is very close with his grandmother, and will sit on her lap in her hickory chair and listen to her tell stories. After she dies, she leaves behind something for everyone her family. They must search for notes that have their names on them within the item that she left for them. The young boy is able to find many of the notes because he was familiar with all of the items that meant the most to her but does not find his note until years later. This ...more
Jana
This is a very nice, heart-warming book about a blind boy's close relationship with his grandmother. When she passes away, his memories of her lead him (along with his "blind sight") to find her notes tucked into her possessions that she wanted to leave to each family member.
Janet
Just thinking about this book brings the aroma of bleach and a hint of lavender to my mind. Lisa Rowe Fraustino does a fantastic job of bringing to life memories of family times. Louie, a young boy who has been born blind, thinks of the smell of bleach and lavender when he remembers his grandmother. After her death, she continues to "play" with her family as they search for clues around her house to discover what she has left them. Although Louie seems to be good at finding clues for everyone el ...more
Clairissa D
This children's book is about a little boy who is blind and his very strong and personal relationship with his grandmother. After his grandmother passes the story focuses on the young boys family and his effort to find the letter that was left by her in her will. This book can be used to introduce students to different people with different disabilities such as (blindness,deafness, etc.). This book can also be helpful in exposing students to different types of writing informative,persuasive, or ...more
The Reading Countess
I absolutely adored this one. A young blind boy adores his grandmother, who used to rock him in her beloved handmade hickory chair. One day she passes away, and she leaves behind a challenge for her family. If they find a message squirreled away for them, they are allowed to choose one item that is near to dear to them. Will he find the message intended for him? This book is so richly packed, I would use it as a mentor text and explore word choice and author endings. Amazing.
Rachel
What a beautiful story. About a grandmother and her blind grandson's bond that they share. The grandmother tells stories to Louis. Even though he is blind he can see and feel all the sights and people by her description. When Gran dies she leaves notes around the house for everyone except Louis. Louis feels lost and must search for sense. Great book to help students with ideas, word choice, and voice. Shows students how a topic can come from a simple, everyday thing.
Bonnie
This is a great book to use with third graders and upper elementary school grades. It can be used to introduce "juicy details" in writing and model how to make a story "juicier" by including more details. This is about an African-American child who's grandmother passes away and leaves notes around the house for her relatives. Deals with the themes of loss and grief, as well as hope.
Nicole Bell
The first time I read this book I didn’t notice all of the sensory clues that Louis, a child with blindness, used. “When I was the seeker, I could almost always sniff everyone out…” After the reading of Gran’s will, it was Louis that found most of the notes she had hidden. My hope is that this book will help students to focus on some of their less often used senses.
Connie
Here's a book that I requested from another library and when it arrived I had forgotten why I was interested in it. One of a very few picture books (that I know of) in which the protagonist is blind. The story, which is low-key with a homey atmosphere, is mostly about a boy and his relationship with his grandmother.
Hope
This is a very well written book. A warm fuzzy book of a boy and his grandmother's special chair, which becomes more special when his own granchild comes along. Read to a class of 4th graders, but enjoyed by even the adults.
Jessica Bearden
This story almost brought tears to my eyes. It was precious to see how close he was to his gran. It was nice to see since he was blind how his gran helped him play hide and seek. I would write more but no one likes spoilers.
Jill
I'm putting this up for all the mothers and soon-to-be mothers out there. This is one of my all-time favorite children's books. This book's imagery and message are equally powerful. I cry every time I read it.
Rachel
Wonderful book about loosing a grandparent and how items are divided between the family. This featured a blind child and showed the love he had for his grandmother.
Teri
Love the rick descriptions from the point of view of a blind boy. Really nice story about family as well.
Nancy
I am pretty sure this is the book that made me cry in front of children. Powerful.
Tori Babcock
About a boy's relationship with his Grandma and her Hickory chair.
Alexandria Provall
Alexandria Provall marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Rosi
Rosi is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2014
Kayla
Kayla is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691 Dear America: I Walk in Dread Don't Cramp My Style: Stories About "That" Time of the Month The Hole in the Wall Dirty Laundry: Stories About Family Secrets