Start by marking “Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams” as Want to Read:
Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams

Wish You Were Here: The Official Biography of Douglas Adams

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,991 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
It all started when Douglas Adams demolished planet Earth in order to make way for an intergalactic expressway–and then invited everyone to thumb a ride on a comical cosmic road trip with the likes of Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, and the other daft denizens of deep space immortalized in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Adams made the universe a much funnier place to inh ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Del Rey (first published October 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wish You Were Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish You Were Here

Krissa
Mar 20, 2007 Krissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chris
This isn't just a must-read for Adams fans, it's also a must-read for writers or any other creative type who enjoys the sweet torture of procrastination - Adams was a master of the genre.

I'm not much of a biographies person but this one is almost like hanging out with Adams, he's that well captured.
Astrid
Feb 24, 2016 Astrid rated it it was amazing
Besides Humphrey Carpenter's Tolkien-biography this is without a doubt one of the best biographies I have ever read - if it isn't actually the best.
Nick Webb has caught the mood and mannerism of Douglas Adams to perfection, and anyone who's read Hitchhiker's or any of his other books will recognize the whimsical and charming humor inside this one.
Wish You Were Here toes the line between what is personal and what is too personal to tell in a biography, but never once does the author cross it and
Michael
Aug 28, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Douglas Adams is one of my favorite writers, and I've been a fan of his books since I was about 12 or 13. Ironically, I was introduced to his first book (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) by my older brother, who has no sense of humor whatsoever.

I read this at the same time as reading another Douglas Adams biography, called "Hitchhiker", written by M.J. Simpson. The reason I did this is I wanted to get a more complete sense of the life of my favorite humorist from more than just one viewpoin
Jason ("jcreed")
A bit rambly but enjoyable.

Personally I find it extremely heartening that one of the funniest, most capable writers of the last few decades was beset by crippling self-doubt as to his abilities or chance of success in the world. Add to that the fact that are plenty of people who just as vastly overestimate their talents, and it just goes to show you never know.

The biography is quite tolerable until the omg-he's-the-greatest quality of it gets to you. It's not like the level of admiration increas
Amelia Chameleon
Jun 18, 2008 Amelia Chameleon rated it it was amazing
Another thrift store find... and a fantastic one at that! Douglas Adams was a difficult genius and Nick Webb did a wonderful job of telling the story in a very even-handed manner. He admits Adams's shortcomings as well as some of his unpublicized triumphs. Webb's writing is also great. A biography has never been so fun! He has a quirky humor, much like Adams, that makes it an enjoyable read. The only bummer is that the book was published before the movie was released - I would have loved to hear ...more
J.J. Toner
Jun 21, 2015 J.J. Toner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful account of the life of Douglas Adams, a man of boundless energy and imagination who inhabited the wastelands between real science, science fiction and humour, and lived his life with a childlike sense of awe. He will never be forgotten. As for Nick Webb's book, it is stuffed full of detail and amusing anecdotes. He takes us close enough to Douglas to get a strong sense of his drive, his passions and his demons (writer's block, mostly) without intruding too far into his soul. Nick Web ...more
Michael
Feb 23, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Douglas Adams, and his ideas, were so much more than just Hitchhiker's.
Amber
Apr 10, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
This was a very comprehensive book, and very entertaining to read. It made me like Douglas Adams all the more, and really makes me want to go back and reread everything he's written! It took me an unusually long time to read for some reason (not a quick read), but I enjoyed every minute of it.
Richard Barnes
Feb 04, 2016 Richard Barnes rated it liked it
Solid and fun to read but nothing terribly new revealed here, at least not to anyone who's read other biographies of the great man. The obvious comparison is MJ Simpson's "Hitchhiker" - which is less full of personal anecdotes but perhaps more detailed.

What lifts this is Webb's personal connection with Douglas so much of this is first hand stuff from someone who was a friend rather than just recounts from other people.

It slips back though because there's not really any great insight to his actua
Govinda Parasrampuria
I picked up this one because I am a big fan of Douglas' books. I've read the H2G2 "trilogy", Last Chance to See and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.
I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, and I've never laughed the way I laughed while reading H2G2. It's just so damn funny.
He was a visionary, way ahead of his time.
He was an outspoken atheist too.
So, it goes without saying I have a lot of respect for Douglas.

But this book, for me, was kind of a let-down. Although it details his life in painstaki
Tracey
Nov 17, 2007 Tracey rated it liked it
Shelves: libraryread
It's more of a theme-based biography than strictly chronological & very British (I have got to start using the word "kipple"!). Mr. Webb was also an acquaintance of Douglas & as well as being the "official biographer", he was able to bring some of his personal insights to the work. I learned more about his family background that I remember reading in either the Gaiman or Simpson bios - the section of pictures (if a bit too small) was a lovely addition, as was the list of Douglas' favouri ...more
Naomi
Jan 22, 2014 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
I was surprised constantly through out this book. I really enjoyed reading this book and was very happy to find out about one of my heros, this book made me laugh, cry, giggle like a kid!! It was happy, sad and enlightening and it surprised me in places. I think knowing his work made me enjoy learning about the man behind the answer to life the universe and everything and has made me dust of my old copies of the hitchhikers four book trilogy to reread. But you most definitely don't need to be a ...more
Elizabeth
May 16, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die hard HHGTG fans
Painstakingly researched, and affectionate. Webb acknowledges his seriously pro-Douglas bias, but he makes many excuses for Adams' personality challenges which are a bit grating to read after a while. The early parts of the book are the strongest, focusing on things that happened and anecdotes. I consider myself a great admirer of his work, but not a fanatic, so I was happy to learn about the childhood and adolescent circumstances that shaped one of the funniest English modern writers. The latte ...more
Scott
Jan 09, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! It takes a little while to get going through some slightly dull plodding about at the start discussing Douglas Adams' family, but it really hits its stride once the great author gets into the picture. Very intelligent and often funny (maybe a bit too much America-bashing from author Webb, ironic as Douglas loved America), this book is straightforward for about half the pages and then goes off the rails in different directions about Adams' life. Appropriate, though, given how full of i ...more
Danielle
Dec 07, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it
A humorous and insightful look into the life and creativity of one of the best sci fi writers. The Hitchhikers Guide series has long been among my favorite books and it was intersting to get a glimpse into the process that created them. Definitely a must read for any Douglas Adams fan.
Brett Dewey
Mar 31, 2015 Brett Dewey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A loving, yet painful tale of creativity, self-doubt, procrastination and distraction. Interesting for writers as this is not only a biography but also a blow-by-blow exploration of DA's publishing relationships. Webb knew Adams and in his research got many of those key to his life to tell affectionate tales of a very creative and, of course, flawed man.
Arminzerella
Apr 21, 2011 Arminzerella marked it as not-going-to-finish
Shelves: biography
I made it through the introduction and the first chapter or so (about 50 pages in) before deciding that this wasn't going to work for me. Maybe if Douglas Adams had written it...

What I really wanted to hear was more of his stories, and this was, perhaps, too comprehensive. Let's go back in time and set up the family, talk about how who begat who and all of the myriad relationships. Skipping ahead might have served me better, but I'd already invested my hour or so, and I wasn't interested anymore
Prateek
Mar 02, 2016 Prateek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collectibles
I admired Douglas Adams' writing from page one of the h2g2 books... After all, his phenomenally profound, witty, and irreverent writing prompted me to start reading again...

Little did I know then, that, for many reasons I'd come to admire the man himself.

This is the first biography I've ever completed (or wanted to).

A candid, funny, and intimate insight into Douglas' life, wish you were here made me want to read each one of his books again, so I could delve deeper into how he perceived the wor
m_miriam
May 13, 2016 m_miriam rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
While interesting, I could not relate to Adams as described. I have little patience for thoughtless and selfish men, particularly white ones of Adams' generation. I appreciate that underneath it all, Adams was well-meaning and caring, but that doesn't make-up for repeated unintentional hurts. Also, the book should have ended a good fifty pages earlier. Learning of the drama involved in his tech venture was neither particularly informative or interesting.
Caryn
Jan 18, 2012 Caryn rated it really liked it
I liked it. It did a good job of showing where the zaniness came from, but also told a lot about him that couldn't be inferred from his books. I hadn't realized he was such a bad procrastinator - it's a good measure of how valuable he was to his publisher that they'd go to the lengths they had to, to get him to write something! I'm glad they did, though, and I'll always be sorry he didn't get a chance to delay his way through more books.
Iain Turnbull
Jul 15, 2010 Iain Turnbull rated it liked it
Frankly, this was quite disappointing. The subject matter was certainly interesting, but the author's style is appalling - it reads like it was written by a schoolboy at times, with a plethora of completely pointless footnotes. It's also obvious that the author was not nearly detached enough from his subject, and it was more like someone regaling you with tales of an old friend, rather than a subjective biography.
Jeff
Apr 10, 2015 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Anyone who has enjoyed reading Douglas Adams' books should strongly consider reading this witty, intelligent, and sensitive biography of Douglas, by Nick Webb, who clearly knew the man well, and loved him for both his brilliance and his quirks. I believe Douglas would be proud to know what an amazing impression he made on so many during his life, and this biography is an excellent testimony.
Beth
This is an interesting book, and a must read for any Douglas Adams fan by a longtime friend. It's not chronological, but still organized in a way that makes sense. Behind the scenes anecdotes of everything from H2G2 to Last Chance to See to Starship Totanic.

Also features the best explanation of evolution I've see outside of a biology textbook.
Ris
Feb 29, 2016 Ris rated it it was ok
A few moments of hilarity and Adamsian anecdotes among somewhat painful descriptions of the publishing & tv/movie producing processes. All probably quite accurate, but I guess I was hoping the entire book would be as funny as Adams's fiction was. Very insightful as to how such an imaginative artist interacts with corporate entities.
Beth
Aug 25, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I still have the last 2 books of the trilogy in five parts to read and now that I've read this, I want to go back and re-read the first three consecutively before finishing out the series. Having some insight into how his writer brain worked wants me to not only refresh my brain on the H2G2 series but read everything else he's written!
Brian Steed
Nick Webb is a fine writer. I can’t find anything else by him on Amazon, so I’m assuming this is his first book. He should do more biographies. I loved the observant and well-phrased asides he scatters throughout the book. He seems as genuinely fascinated by the natural world, literature, and technology as Adams was.
Sarah Schirmer palmer
While the actual life events of Adams' were intriguing, I found it difficult to get past the author's voice. Webb's style is a weak imitation of the easy wit and humor found in Adams' writing. If you are searching for a more straightforward biography of Douglas Adams, you will not find it here.
Igor
Feb 20, 2013 Igor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I'm a big fan of Douglas Adams.
But not obsessed enough to be able to finish this book.

It is done well enough, for sure, and I respect that.
I just cannot finish this book.
I mean, it might actually be longer then The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe...
Francesca
Oct 02, 2012 Francesca rated it it was amazing
Great personal biography by one of Douglas' friends and colleagues. Vivid portrayal and intimate look at the author whose wit and love of science and obvious curiosity/philosophical interest in life drew me to his Hitchhikers series.
  • The Deeper Meaning of Liff
  • The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons
  • Starship Titanic
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979 (Palin Diaries, #1)
  • The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy
  • Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II and the House of Windsor
  • Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book
  • First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think (Parrot Sketch Excluded)
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Car Fever: Dispatches From Behind The Wheel

“long middle finger resembling a twig that it could use for probing for grubs. There is a telling example of convergent evolution when an unrelated species (the Long-Fingered Possum from Papua New Guinea) devised a similar strategy to address the same problem. (Douglas was very intrigued by the implications of convergence. What need is there to posit a designer if the operation of random forces, constrained by the reality of the world, produces the same elegant solution, as if there were no choice in the matter?) We monkeys have” 1 likes
“You can forget Proust and those stupid cakes. Beatles’ songs are more potent.” 0 likes