Start by marking “One in a Million” as Want to Read:
One in a Million

One in a Million

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,984 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
Ask Kennedi Mason and she'll say she and her husband, Blake, have a good marriage. That's why she can't wait to tell Blake the fabulous news--that something he's always dreamed about and wanted has finally happened. But when Blake arrives home that evening, he has an announcement of his own, one that shocks Kennedi into silence. A poignant and witty story of hope and perce ...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published June 17th 2008 by BBC Audiobooks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One in a Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One in a Million

Layeshia Riddick
I enjoyed the book this is the first time I'm reading this author. I'm sure I'll read more of her books. This was definitely a cautionary tale of what happens when you have something that everybody else wants you never truly know who's your friend and who's your foe.
Kristina
Aug 05, 2008 Kristina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008, fiction
I really wanted to like this book since I got it through the early reviewers group, but sadly it was awful. I couldn't even finish the book it was so bad. The concept of the book sounded interesting enough, but the writing style was not engaging in the least. The writing came across as if written buy a teenager and the story was all over the place. The characters were extremely one dimensional, and well, it was just... bad. I would definitely not recommend this book and wouldn't ever attempt ano ...more
Lisa
Apr 20, 2009 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could rate this any lower, I would. Predictible, unoriginal and poorly written. Every character was a stereotype. Even the big twist near the end, which, I'll admit, surprised me, was ridiculous. A co-worker lent me the CD version--last time I ever go to her for recommendations!
Susan Henderson
Jan 15, 2016 Susan Henderson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
This was like a bad lifetime movie. Well, all lifetime movies are bad but you know what I mean. So anyway, I started on it but just couldn't continue and had to change the channel.
Linda
Jul 28, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't want to think a lot
simple. easy to read but not that interesting.
Candace
The concept is great; however, the characters are lacking. In addition, the main character lacks common sense in most situations. She puts herself in positions most young people - 15 through 18 - put themselves in. Kennedi is roughly 38 & she's acting like she's in high school, can't seem to gauge a hostile situation, and is VERY immature. I'm not saying she shouldn't have been enraged or heartbroken. I'm not even saying she shouldn't have used the language in which she used, BUT, one would ...more
Cami
Feb 22, 2016 Cami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh-so-so
2.5 to 3 Stars. At first it sort of reminded me of a Tyler Perry movie and who doesn't love Tyler Perry?! Well, it wasn't good like a Tyler Perry movie ........If I was Kennedi I would have never given Blake the time of day after what happened. That part irritated me and then the end had a twist which did help since I might have given it a 2 star. But of course.........REALLY?.......she gave the 1 aunt something.....Oh Heck NO!
I don't know what to say, maybe it just wasn't my kind of book.
Debbie
Kennedi Mason thought she had a good marriage. She was excited to share her wonderful news with her husband Blake. But when Blake arrived home, he had an announcement of his own. His was shocking.

This is a good idea for a story and the ending is shocking and fun. The main character is very naive in a difficult situation, the feelings are real and probably very realistic. However, some of the character dialogue is run together and a little forced, it sometimes just sounds funny for some reason. O
Valerie
Nov 29, 2009 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Adams
Aug 10, 2008 Kathy Adams rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Marilyn Diamond
May 25, 2010 Marilyn Diamond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put it down. Want to read the sequal.....Blake Mason got was coming to him....I loved the way she intertwined Rev. Curtis Black and Charlotte Black in the middle of this book...Great work...
Kirsten Griffith
Nov 30, 2014 Kirsten Griffith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Early Reviewers program is one of my favorite features of LibraryThing. Unfortunately, I seem to be really horrible at picking the diamonds out of the rough. The *very* rough, in some cases. This was one of those. This book could have been written by anyone with a basic mastery of the English language, but it would take more dedication than I can muster to read the whole thing. The character development is lacking so that you don't even feel like cheering for anyone in what should be a clear ...more
Tynika Goldring
I couldn't put the book down. It was good from the beginning to the end. I wish it had a better ending but it's a good read!!
Charie
Mar 02, 2009 Charie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was such a quick read and with so much drama that I never got bored!!
Lisa Muhammad
Kennedi Mason thinks everything is going great in her marriage until the day she receives both good and bad news. Her husband, Blake is a low down dirty snake but you saw his storyline coming.

I was really disappointed in this story. It started off very predictable and then picked up at the end with a twist. The characters were well developed as someone can relate to them and their situation but the flow of the story did not work for me. There seemed to be missing pieces and as a reader, I was un
Jewel
Nov 27, 2008 Jewel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book has a storyline like no other!
Bianca Harrison
Jan 20, 2015 Bianca Harrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Great Read!
Yvette
Dec 22, 2008 Yvette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good quick read!! Enjoyable
Iisha
Jun 26, 2008 Iisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kennedi Mason was one of the main character's in the book. I read the first chapter of the book on Kimberla Lawson Roby's website and by the time I got to the end of the first chapter, I was hooked. It took me only a day to read this action filled, twists and turns novel.

Kennedi was your typical woman that was pretty much in the dark her entire marriage. She was so confused, she didn't know which way to turn or go. Her husband was your typical I can do whatever I want and don't care who I hurt m
Donura

AUTHOR: Roby, Kimberla Lawson
PUBLISHER: HarperCollins
COPYRIGHT: June 2008

RATING: 2.5 out 5

This is the first book by this author that I have read so I have no comparison to her other works. She has several other books to her credit so I would assume that she has a large audience.

The story line was one I could relate to on several different levels but the behavior of the Kennedi Mason was not. Since she was portrayed as a woman nearly 40, I would have
Brooklyn Darkchild
Aug 12, 2008 Brooklyn Darkchild rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a quick, entertaining read
Recommended to Brooklyn by: dm scott
Lawson Roby has fashioned a cute little story that I thoroughly enjoyed. On the very night Kennedi needs to contact her husband Blake with some extraordinary news, he is nowhere to be found. The crap hits the fan when he finally arrives home, only to tell Kennedi he hasn't been in love with her for two years.
And he has another woman.
And he's moving out that evening.
Well.
How do you take news like that?
Kennedi certainly never has a chance to tell Blake HER good news. But when Blake finds out...he
Leslie C
Apr 28, 2011 Leslie C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in one day. Once I started the 1st chapter, I couldn't put it down until I knew how it ended. I read this just after finishing "Love The One You're With", by Emily Griffin, and it's amazing how I could immediately notice the different tone from an African American author. (Just an observation.) Being African American myself, I of course enjoyed it, but am just amazed at the difference.
I'd definitely recommend this book. It will certainly put things in perspective for you, and unf
~Charmer~the 1-click addict
I wanted to really like this book, but I did not. I found the heroine to be way too nice. She didn't speak up for herself nearly enough (that press conference, and in Wal-Mart), and she let certain people just talk to her any kind of way (her husband and cousins). You can be a good person and still not take crap from people. At certain parts of the story it became hard to listen to. I guess it just wasn't for me. Narrator had a nice voice.
Leslie Pressley
Kennedy learns that sometimes a blessing can become a curse when she hits the lotto the same day her "husband" comes to.her asking for a divorce. And the DRAMA doesn't stop from page one. A short and amusing romp that proves that Karma is a b!#?h! Not her best story. But short.and easy to get through. Not the over the top writing she usually shows with her Rev. Black series.
Lynne
OMG!!! I have read this book several times and I still enjoy reading it even though i know the outcome. If you are the mood that you need to read about people getting what they deserve and karma coming back. This is the book for you. You will be laughing and cheering as the book goes along. Good pick me up book!! GIRL POWER!!!!
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Kennidie's blessed surprise is not what one would think. But she had one thing right her husband was very happy and elated. He has wanted this for years. With life full of surprises Kennedie has a very big one that saves her a lot of grief and regret. Dialogue seemed stunted in places and something contradictory to other things. But overall this provided for a tell of what happens when fortune rains down on you and everyone you every knew wants something from you in some form or another.
Jamie Eberle
Mar 08, 2013 Jamie Eberle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novella. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down until I finished. This is the first book by the author that I have read, but I will definitely be reading more of her books, including the other one I have in my library. [return][return]I am not sure if the author usually has her characters having faith in God and living a God filled life, but I really like how she does it. The reader can receive information about living a God filled life without being "preachy." I ...more
Liza
Jan 20, 2015 Liza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet this a crazy twist in the end. I like how it is loosely related to the Reverend Black series by mentioning that the main character attends his church.

Now I am wondering if the main character was in one of the Reverend Black books...
Kim
Jan 24, 2016 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely horrendous! The plot went from completely implausible to Jerry Springer.....unlikeable, and ridiculous characters with preachy and unnecessary religious overtones. Do not waste your time!
Lisa A. Jackson
PRETTY GOOD

This book held my interest throughout. It shadowed just what folks will do for money. The book ended a bit abruptly and showed that payback is definitely a killer.
  • Everybody Say Amen
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • Just Too Good to Be True
  • The Million Dollar Deception
  • Nappily Faithful (Nappily, #4)
  • Up To No Good
  • This Fire Down in My Soul
  • Sisters & Lovers
New York Times Bestselling Author, Kimberla Lawson Roby, has published thirteen novels which include, THE PRODIGAL SON, A HOUSE DIVIDED, THE PERFECT MARRIAGE, THE REVEREND'S WIFE, SECRET OBSESSION, LOVE, HONOR, and BETRAY, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR, A DEEP DARK SECRET, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, ONE IN A MILLION, SIN NO MORE, LOVE & LIES, CHANGING FACES , THE BEST-KEPT SECRET , TOO MUCH OF A G ...more
More about Kimberla Lawson Roby...