Start by marking “Tell Me No Lies” as Want to Read:
Tell Me No Lies

Tell Me No Lies

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,697 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Some of the world's most priceless artifacts are being smuggled from China into the U.S. An international crisis is about to explode unless a desperate trap to catch a thief succeeds. One woman is the key.
Published February 1st 2006 by HQN Books (first published November 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me No Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me No Lies

Rosey Whiting
Of all the books I've read this summer, and there have been a lot, this is probably my favorite. It combined the thrill of a mystery, the suspense of a high-speed plot, and a thorough education of the subject. Most of Elizabeth Lowell's novels are great for education as well as pleasure reading. Tell Me No Lies was all about Chinese Bronze from the Qin Dynasty. Lowell did such a wonderful job of combining words and story lines that, an otherwise complex and unknown subject, became a pleasure to ...more
Cindy
This is a great romantic suspense read with a heartwarming ending, lots of sizzle between the protagonists and some fascinating information shared about Chinese art, the very Chinese concept of 'face', and how international politics game is played by the big boys. It is a mid-90s release and a book I re-read fairly regularly.

The story revolves around a possible theft of literally priceless antiquities from China. The FBI wants to find them [or better yet, NOT find them] while protecting their in
Frances
It is my opinion that this is one of the finest examples of contemporary romance. I find something new every time I read it. I am overwhelmed by all of the levels to this book. I read this book for the first time just before going to the Sackler Museum in Washington. When I entered the Sackler, I felt as if I was walking into the pages of the book. Elizabeth Lowell had done her homework. I could easily recognize the exact bronzes that she used as set pieces. While in the Sackler, I bought a book ...more
Shea
I enjoyed this novel quite a bit. It took me a while to get into the story but once I did I was hooked. Lowell obviously did a lot of research and the information about the political climate between the People's Republic of China and the U.S.A. (circa 1986) was fascinating. I also enjoyed all the information about Chinese bronze art as it evolved throughout the various dynasties. The characters were interesting and the plot kept me guessing. I found it VERY distracting the way she constantly des ...more
Leila Mota
It's probably a second reading, I really don't remember, but I used to read everything by Lowell once upon a time. I don't know why, sometimes I almost crave the oldies. Must be because some books I get nowadays are poorly written. I'm not talking, obviously, about classics, event though Lowell is kind of a classic in this genre. And I had a great time reading this book. Interesting plot, good characters, good romance, all mixing very well. Last, but not least, nice writing. I think that one of ...more
Reggie
One of Elizabeth Lowell's early books (1986)) and one of her best. Lots of intrigue and history of Chinese art. Little bit of romance thrown in for for hotness. :)
Nenia Campbell
You can read more reviews at my blog, The Armchair Librarian.

I'm a fan of Lowell's Medieval series so I was excited when I saw this book on the "free" table at the book swap. It's so hard for me to find romance novels that I actually like - and even though I knew that her romantic suspense would probably be written in a different style from her medieval bodice rippers, I wondered, "How bad could it be?"

Famous last words.

Despite a promising opening, TMNL (or, rather TSTL) quickly devolves into on
Tonja
One of my all time favorites

This is still one of my all time favorites. I got the audio book and was horribly disappointed that it was missing so much of the story. The intrigue, plots within sub plots and the customs of the cultures were just not as prevalent as they are in the print book.

The interaction between the main characters and the supporting characters were a constant source of amusement and action.

Sure this is a romance novel and it is steamy enough, but there is so much else going o
Tpring
A lot more substance than your typical romantic suspense (or at least the modern ones I've read so far) on a lot more levels. It is not only about international politics but also about art and they come together very well. Questions about deceit and authenticity, market forces and saving or loosing "face" apply to both and the book is quite adept in raising them.

It is also very adept in playing dress up and appearing to be well researched. It's probably too stereotypical a story to read if you
Andrea
The copyright date is 1986, so this must be an early Elizabeth Lowell romantic suspense novel.

Jacques-Pierre Rousseau, the adventurer and CIA agent in south-east Asia, has disappeared and Jacob MacArthur Catlin now is the head of the Pacific Rim Foundation, and an expert in all things Asian. Catlin is sought out by Chin Ye, the Chinese Minister of Archeology for Shaanxi province. Concerned over rumors of missing priceless bronzes, Chin Ye wants to bring in an American, raised is China, and now a
Linda
This was an older book written by Ms Lowell and was hard to get into. There were several political factions of China involved and it got a little mixed up with who was who.

Ancient bronzes are being smuggled out of China into the US and the US thought that this would dampen relations between the two countries unless the smuggling was stopped. A museum employee who is an expert on bronzes is brought in to work with an ex-CIA agent who knows all the power players in the Far East to find the smuggle
Sophie
China kick now and found this somewhat older book, with truly enjoyable descriptions of Qin art objects and a believable heist/theft story and a good steady buildup to the end. Still reads like its valid today even with China so rich now.
Karen DePass
Love the book!

I found this book a little different from the other Lowell books I have read. A lot of Chinese culture and history, made the reading and the characters very interesting. and exciting.
Catherine
Amazing. This book had me staying up all night to see what happens next. Have read this book multiple times the last couple of years and each time I find something new.
Kelly Willcoxbrackeen
I absolutely loved this book! Lots of intrigue, action, with a little bit of love story thrown in there. I have read a lot of her books and I honestly think this is her best one. I first read this book years ago, never forgot it. Last year my husband bought it for me for Christmas. I really wouldn't change a thing about this story. The hero and heroine have hang-ups but, we all do. After reading about what they have been through, you can understand why they act that way. I highly recommend this ...more
Claire Davon
This is my favorite Elizabeth Lowell romance. All are good reads, but this combination of character arcs and well-plotted storyline kept me turning the pages.
Virginia Bugbee
My favorite by Elizabeth Lowell.
Kavya
(2.5 out of 5 stars)
I love Elizabeth Lowell books. She's one of my favorite writers and never leaves me disappointed. This book, however, was not great for me.
The premise was interesting and I liked learning about the politics and the bronze art, but the book felt too slow most of the time and I was actually bored for most of the first half of the book. The romance wasn't strong enough and I wasn't at all convinced with the HEA. I think the descriptions of the art work was much more interesting
HK
slow development, and long, 570p. Lindsay and Catlin about ancient Bronzes, annoying Chinese conversations and cultural mannerism. Hot scenes maybe twice. Wanted to read just because Lisa Marie Rice mentioned Catlin being the mean hero. I was wrong about Lisa Marie Rice, she mentioned heroine as her favorite, not Catlin.
Maureen
One of the best Romances I've read because it is also a great suspense story of international intrigue and high art. I loved the authentic quality of her writing. I applaud her for doing her research. If you can put up with a love story and all the accompanying activities (ahem) then this book will rank right up there with John LeCarre for fans of international intrigue. Personally, I love an intelligent romance story - and this one is probably the most intelligent one I've read.
Anansigirl
Read this in paperback form a decade ago. Still my absolute favorite in the romantic suspense genre. E.Lowell's execution of Catlin and Lindsay's characters still resonates with me even after all these years (and hundreds of books read). Catlin, specifically, could only be rivaled by the author's other Heroes: Archer Donovan or Fiddler (incidentally, also a highly recommended read).

If I'd be marooned on an island with only ten books to bring, this book would be in it, no doubt.
J. Ewbank
Now this is a good, solid Elizabeth Lowell book and I enjoyed it very much. The story involves a woman who has a worldwide reputation as an expert in ancient bronzes etc... There is a good bit of smuggling going on and she is being used by an ex CIA agent to find the guilty parties while managing to keep her alive. This is the story and it is a good story.

A very enjoyable read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Tara
This was an interesting novel with some details about Chinese culture. Not knowing a lot of history though, I was somewhat skeptical about how accurate they are.

And it took me several chapters to really figure out what a "bronze" piece was. That distraction took away from the story a little bit for me.
Jill
Well I reread this because I had forgotton I read it (yep I didn't check my goodreads list :). It was still good even though I remembered who was involved. There is a little bit too much background on China history/relations but I understand why she included it.
Carolyn
This was the book that made me read Elizabeth Lowell. The fact is, I've been waiting for another this dense for almost 20 years, and even though I haven't gotten it yet, I will continue to read her because even when she's not great she's still pretty darn good.
Marianne Evans
A masterpiece. For over a decade, until the Twilight series emerged, this was, and still is, the benchmark of BEST BOOK EVER READ for me. If you have never read it, please run, don't walk, to the nearest bookseller. I kid you not. A tour de force. BRAVA, Ms. Lowell.
Dana
Again, I learn something new (Chinese bronze) while reading an EL book. She is so amazing, and so thorough in her research. I know I will be a smarter woman after reading one of her books...how many romance novels can claim that? Love it, 4 stars.
Dee
Wow - I got through about 20 pages - this book is CRAP!!!
I have NO idea what led me to it, but take my word for it - it's total "grocery store lit". (i.e. - you could probably find this book AT the grocery store, by all the tabloid magazines).
C K
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Vicki
Romantic suspense set against 1980's Chinese American relations - interesting to read while watching Olympics in Bejing. It focuses on ancient Chinese bronze artifacts but the political background gives it a tense edge.
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Diamond Bay (Kell Sabin, #2)
  • Exposure
  • Wild Orchids
  • Shadow Dance
  • Reap The Wind (Wind Dancer, #3)
  • Nightfall
  • Deep Waters
  • Long After Midnight
  • Hour of the Rose (Draycott Abbey #1)
  • Ice Storm (Ice, #4)
  • Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)
  • Sharp Edges
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)