Start by marking “Miss Mingo and the First Day of School” as Want to Read:
Miss Mingo and the First Day of School

Miss Mingo and the First Day of School (Miss Mingo)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
On sharing day in Miss Mingo's multispecies class, we learn that Cricket
hears with his legs, Snake smells with his tongue, and Frog enjoys eating his own skin in this nonfiction storybook filled to the gills with laughter —
and learning.

If there's an elephant in the classroom — along with an alligator, a koala, a centipede, an octopus, and who knows what else — it must be
Published July 11th 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Miss Mingo and the First Day of School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Mingo and the First Day of School

Jenny
Sep 29, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it
Loved this darling book! It is about Miss Mingo, the flamingo. On the first day of school she asks each of her very diverse students (elephant, koala, panda, snake, etc.) to share one thing that makes them special. How great is that... to honor each child as being unique and special?! But then it gets even better. As each child shares something unique, it includes in small print a few facts about that animal... (for instance, young elephants suck the end of their trunk to comfort themselves like ...more
Sara Stalder
Jan 27, 2014 Sara Stalder rated it liked it
"Miss Mingo and the First Day of School" is a cute read about how all the animals in Miss Mingos class get to know each other on the first day of school.

It was a cute read, but definitely not a book to read on the first day of school (despite the title). It would be a great book, however to use for some sort of animal studies unit. Cute pictures, and it comes with fascinating animal facts on every page!
Lynne Marie
Apr 03, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book as it is so true in emotion, and so fun and educational in its exposition.
Soh Kam Yung
Sep 11, 2011 Soh Kam Yung rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, children, nature
It's the first day of school and Miss Mingo (a flamingo) faces a new classroom of animal children. To break the ice, she tells them something interesting about herself and asks the class to do likewise.

Filled with animals of all kinds, from a narwhal to a centipede, the book introduces each animal and tells an interesting natural fact about them, like how alligators keep shedding their teeth, why centipedes are a misnomer and how much water a pelican can hold. Fun for children and adults alike t
Hillvan
AD660L
Restokes92
This is a book about a flamingo teacher who is named Miss Mingo and her class full of unique animals who's traits are all described. Students will learn about frogs, crickets, and other animals and how they are very special in somethings that they do (frogs eating their skin). I would use this book as a read aloud and integrate it with ELA and science. The reason I choose to integrate subjects in my class is to show students that everything they are learning in school is connected.
Cheyenne
Jul 11, 2014 Cheyenne rated it really liked it
This book combines information with a story about the beginning of the school year.
Olivia
Dec 01, 2008 Olivia rated it liked it
Miss Mingo helps all the animal students in her class overcome their shyness on the first day of school by encouraging them to share something special about themselves.

Reading Practice

Book Level: 3.6

Interest Level: Lower Grades (LG K-3)

Fiction/Nonfiction: Fiction

Topic - Subtopic: Animals-Misc./Other; Behavior-Shyness; Community Life-School; People-Teachers; Popular Groupings-Lower Grades School Days;
Alissa
Nov 03, 2011 Alissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Miss Mingo is excited for her first day of school, but her class is a little nervous. Miss Mingo asks each class member to share something unique about themselves. As each student shares about themselves, we learn many interesting animal facts. I loved that there is the general story that you can read aloud and smaller-type, more in-depth facts that you can choose to read out loud or not. Great watercolor illustrations.
Megan
Apr 01, 2011 Megan rated it it was ok
Recommended to Megan by: Young Hoosier Book Award Nominee
A hybrid of fiction/nonfiction. The story is a basic first day of school scenario where the teacher asks each student to share something interesting about him/herself. On each page, further facts about each animal are listed. The placement of the facts is a little random and the font is not quite distinctive enough to make a big difference between the facts and the dialogue.
Sharon Green
Dec 01, 2008 Sharon Green rated it liked it
ages4-7
read aloud/independent
fluent
fiction picture book with some non-fiction facts about animals
diversity/scientific facts on animals and other life forms
strong characters/personification/text&illustration interaction
everyone in this classroom is unique,fun facts about animals, water critters,and birds, students love learning new things
Lizzie
Mar 23, 2013 Lizzie rated it liked it
A good choice for starting school that blends fiction and nonfiction for K-2 crowd.
Lots of smaller animals and details might be hard to in a read out loud - so might be a contender for projection. You could talk about how everyone is different and special and launch into a tell us a few facts about yourself writing exercise.
Shelly Koressel
This is one of my favorites, this book is about the first day of school. The teacher first starts it out by telling some fact about herself. Then the other animals join in. Even though they have difference they are all important. Good book about diversity. Great book for the first day of school to break the ice.
Marcia
Sep 07, 2011 Marcia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K-3
Miss Mingo is a flamingo and she has a class of shy animals- from a panda to a crocodile. This book incorporates nonfiction animal facts with back-to-school tradition to help us realize every student is special in their own way. Who knew the narwahl's "horn" was really an overgrown tooth! A fun start of school choice.
Amanda
Sep 01, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
This one is a winner. It's a teacher with unique animals for her students. On the first day of school, they all share what is special about themselves. What makes it neat is at the bottom of each page in smaller "adult" type, is the actual fact -- like a pelican's beak holds 3.5 gallons of water. Cool stuff!
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 108712 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.6 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Shelli
Apr 24, 2012 Shelli rated it it was amazing
I love this series!! So fun and informative. Children of all ages (older ones included) will find some critter fact that will make them pause to say "I didn't know that."
Michaela
May 18, 2012 Michaela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute book! I love the little side-notes about the different animals in the book. Even I learned some new things!
Bcpl
Nov 25, 2007 Bcpl rated it it was ok
Probably better for discussing "unique characteristics of animals" than as a back-to-school pick.
Justina
Aug 09, 2008 Justina rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Cute book for kids that tells interesting facts about different animals.
Rose
Dec 08, 2008 Rose added it
Shelves: childrens
E Har
DonRebe Walker
DonRebe Walker rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Susan Keith
Susan Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Lori Gravley
Lori Gravley marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Viji
Viji marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Eliza
Eliza rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2016
Diana Williams
Diana Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Dorie
Dorie added it
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
207125
Once upon a time, I was a pastry chef, and before that I worked in an office, crunching numbers. Writing and illustrating children's books is by far the best job I've ever had (well, that is, after being a mom). I fell in love with picture books from reading so many to my children. Then I took some classes at MassArt and tried my hand at making one myself. I got my first job illustrating a poem fo ...more
More about Jamie Harper...

Miss Mingo (3 books)