Start by marking “Welcome to Camden Falls (Main Street, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Camden Falls (Main Street, #1)

Welcome to Camden Falls (Main Street #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,526 ratings  ·  144 reviews
Combining the heart of her Newbery Honor-winning fiction and the spirit of her legendary Baby-Sitters Club series, Ann M. Martin introduces a timeless new series for girls.

Flora and Ruby do not want to move to Camden Falls. But they don't really have a choice -- their parents are dead and their grandmother, Min, is taking them in. It's strange to be in a new place. But luc
Published May 1st 2007 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Camden Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Camden Falls

Tawnie
Grades: 4 to 6 Genre: Realistic Fiction
Sisters Ruby and Flora have to move to small New England town to live with their grandmother after their parents die in a car crash. The girls are a bit nervous about the new town, but while things don’t always go smoothly, they start to make friends and start to feel apart of this small community. When a local girl is accused of stealing from one of the shops, Ruby knows that she is innocent and decides to solve this mystery. The grief that the girls feel
Nini
KFDGHDGHEUGS GHDFGHDRGHDGHEG HBNBEIBEGJGYNIJHGKGEIGHGKYIKHKHKSGIKGDGERH KDGHEKYGHRKJKGHEEKGHGHIKGKGRHGHTIBFOGHTEITBDOEBHKOGEHB IGHRKGHMDGIG'HH[HGRJHGDJGDRIRGHRH JHIDVBDGBIVKDVDKDKVDVGHDIJIJGHEIHYDVDDKDGHGHDJHDHJDFJDHHDJRJGHJDDJHDJDFKDJGVBDKVCKVDKVKSDVVKVKVKVDKVXCKKVHISSLIIJDHIGHGFKDFHDHEYFFJFJIDHFJEHUHGRIGHGHHHJGEGUKSFOSIF KDGKJGSIGHVJVHDGHFGG EGJDGHHJJHFJFXJHDVJDSHSJDHEJTIGGHGDJIFYEFGDSHGSGUGEUREHGHHFEGTUREHGHYEIUHIGUEHJVHSHHHDHJGUIDGHHJGHDHGJDHIGIRHKVDFFHSDDJDFHDFKJBJVHVVIDVHJDVVJDVHDV JDHFDSJ ...more
babyhippoface
I can't remember the last time I have been so pleasantly surprised by a book. I chose the first three books in Ann M. Martin's new series "Main Street" to review because my daughter wanted to read them. I picked up the first one, dreading it. Not sure why, maybe it was the whole "Baby-sitters Club" thing. My daughter went through a phase with these, and although I've never read one, I have a negative view of them. Don't know why.

By the time I was half-finished, I didn't want to put it down. Gent
Ella
It's quite a light read about two orphan girls moving with there lovely grandmother to her hometown. How they settle in and adjust to living in an isolated town in New England, America. At times the speech can be a bit corny but otherwise a good read.
Siti Nur Ain
I read this book when I was 7 or so, which is about 9 years ago, so obviously I have forgotten the story except for some parts.

Well honestly the (very) few things I remember are the cover art (which I liked very much then), a map (I think), and some of the illustrations (I think). Yeah you can tell that I really do recall very little details of the book.

BUT one thing that I am VERY sure about the book is this: it is a great series by a great author and I highly recommend girls of ages 7 to 12
Meaghan
too sad barly could end the book.After 3 pages i couldn't bare to read it any more.
Jada
This book was very good and i really want to read the next!
Katie
I loved this book you could really understand it!!!
Becky Keir Grace
I picked up this book because the author wrote my all-time favorite series as a child, The Baby-Sitter’s Club. Main Street is a little more modern, but it keeps true to the classic feel the Baby-Sitter’s series did. Ruby and Flora are recently orphaned when a car accident leaves them relatively unharmed, but claims the lives of their parents. Their grandmother, Min, comes to stay with them so they can finish up the school year in their hometown. But now it is summer, and it is time for them to m ...more
Jessica
This is a fun series for young girls. There are a lot of characters with interesting backgrounds and stories that are constantly evolving.
Ann M. Martin is wonderful at writing books that match seasons. These books are great at making the reader get the feeling of the season that the book is taking place in. I especially love her books that take place in fall. She weaves in descriptions of change that make you long for that time of year.
This is a great introduction to the series that really gra
Jackie
Main Street Welcome to Camden Falls
by Ann M. Martin
Writer of the Main Street Series

I chose this book because I heard people that I know say that it was a good book.
The story takes place in Camden Falls, Massachusetts in present day.
The main characters in this book is Flora and Ruby. Both their parents died in a car accident so they came to live with their grandmother,Min,in Camden Falls.Flora is more quiet and she really likes to sew. Her sister,Ruby,is more the opposite. She likes to sing snd
Jasmine Escamilla
i think this book was realy intresting. overall this book kept you real hooked while reading it. the author had wroten a lot of books ,so she had a lot of expierence writing this other book.reading this book got me to have a lot of connections. my first connection was when ruby's and flora's parents died.it reminded me when my uncle left to live in chicago.the first thing it helped me understand are the similaraties with ruby,flora,and me.the second thing it helped me understand is ruby's and fl ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I really enjoyed reading the first book in the new MAIN STREET series by Ann M. Martin. I am glad that she is doing another series. I have many girls in my 5th-grade class who are still reading THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB and this new series is a little more timely.

It is the story of two sisters, Flora and Ruby, who lose their parents one night in a terrible car crash. Their grandmother picks up the pieces of their lives and they move to Camden Falls to
Bridget
SO I read this novel back in fifth grade and at the time it was to me an amazing series. I had to buy them all! Then a year ago I read this to my sisters just for fun and realized how simple the writing was--well obviously, since it's written for kids--but still, I can't help but look at these books on my shelf and smile because at the time I absolutely loved them. So I'm giving this 4 stars anyway.
Carol
I really enjoyed this story. The first in a series about sisters who lose their parents in an accident and move to live with their grandmother (in the same house their mother grew up in). I enjoyed the characters and the small town setting. This is probably definitely a book for girls and while it is a great book for children who have lost a loved one I think it would appeal to lots of girls in general. Fans of the babysitters club (or any books that center on a group of friends) would especiall ...more
cubbie
(Scholastic Book Fair)

fun, with cute literary illusions at the beginning. a little more flowery than the baby-sitters club, but with a boring wholesomeness near the end.

"Flora and Ruby were not pale waifs shivering under threadbare blankets. Nor were they off on a glorious, romantic adventure. They were just Flora and Ruby Northrop, whose parents had died in a car accident and who were now going to live with their grandmother Min in Camden Falls, Massachusetts.
In the five months since the accide
Kelsie
I remember that this was the first time I ever truly fell in love with a book series!! I read them first when I was about 10, and I continue to reread them now, as a 16 year old. It just never gets old for me. Love Ann M. Martins style of writing, it makes me wish Camden Falls was real!
Prabhleen
This was actually a pretty good book. It felt realistic and I loved how I could kind of relate to it and visualize what was happening in my mind. This book has very interesting event happening in each chapter and that kept me interested. Overall, I really liked this book.
LULU♥
Oct 29, 2008 LULU♥ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: claudia
My goal for this week was to read one to two chapters every day.I did meet my goal thats why i finished faster and i tryed my best to finish all six book that we needed to do by the end of thursday.

In the book Main Street there was 174 pages.It took me a pretty long time to read this book because i really don't read books this long.

There was only one to two characters well the main character was Ann M. Martin she loves to sew and loves to take walks withher dog,Sadie. She alos haas three cats
Helene
I read this one in an hour or so at Barnes & Noble's, out of curiosity. This is the first book in Ann M. Martin's new series about two sisters who, after their parents' death, move to a small town called Camden Falls, where their grandma lives and runs a sewing shop called Needle and Thread.
This book served as an introduction to the characters and the places. I wanted to like it, because it seemed like an innocent little book with good intentions. It is a little boring though. The two siste
Lizzie Ross
This was an engaging book wonderfully and emotionally sweet. I enjoyed the drama and conflict in the book. I epecially enjoyed it when I found out my favorite series is writen by Ann M. Martin The doll people.
Reading this with my daughter. I really enjoyed it. There are a lot of teachable moments with the variety of characters, and I hope it will encourage her to feel confident broaching difficult topics with me.
Emma
When I first seen this book. I thought it was for little kids, but when I read it I instantly fell in love. I read a few of the others that I could find as well. They are amazing books.
Kaylin
Feb 28, 2014 Kaylin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I love Main Street Books. The first one was very detailed in description about what happens to the Northdrops' mother and father. I love how Martin got the idea of Main Street.
Jessica
I don't know...I guess I just expected more from Ann. Having grown up on the Baby-Sitters Club books,I was really looking forward to her new series. However, it was very...slow...the story didn't pick up until more than half-way through, and even then, it wasn't thrilling. Also, the characters did nothing for me. I remember the BSC girls being so COOL. Stacey with her NYC chic style and Claudia with her funky, artsy style, Dawn the surfer, Kristy the tomboy, Maryann the goody two shoes....but in ...more
Mohsena Akter
I like adventurous story books but this book isn't quite adventurous, so i rated this 2 out of 5. People who are not interested in moving from one particular place to another can find pleasure reading this book. The story is about two sisters named Flora & Ruby who doesn't want to move to a place named Camden Falls with their grandmother Mimi & they doesn't really have a choice as their parents were dead. Luckily, they find friends-real friends there. Two sad, orphans find happiness at l ...more
Angela
Judging from the other reviews I have read, I am the only person who didn't like this book. I bought the series for the elementary school, and now I wish I wouldn't have spent the money on it.

This is a very wholesome book, but I feel part of the problem is that it is trying too hard to be wholesome. Every character has some sort of problem, and the girls are very tolerant of those problems. I don't have a problem with tolerance and acceptance of those who are different, but how realistic is it
Karen Arendt
This is a wholesome girl story about friendship. Highly recommended for girls who love girl stories.
Jeff
This is a chapter book about two sisters named Flora and Ruby who are orphans. Their parents died in a car accidnet and they are sent to live with their grandmother in Camden Falls. The story is about the sisters meeting other girls and getting used to their new home. This is written for 5th to 8th graders. Primarily for girls. I think girls will enjoy this book because my 12-year-old twin daughters really liked it. There arent many illustrtaions, but I think the story is interesting enough to k ...more
Tracie
After their parents die in a car accident, Flora and Ruby move to a small town in Massachussetts and try to begin new lives with their grandmother, Min.

This is a homey, old-fashioned story populated with a diverse cast of vividly-realized characters. The audiobook--narrated by Ariadne Meyers--is highly enjoyable. Main Street shares many similarities with Martin's previous blockbuster series The Baby-Sitters Club, but Main Street is more thoughtful and less formulaic. In short: I'm hooked.
  • Bad News/Good News (Beacon Street Girls, #2)
  • The Cupid Chronicles (Wedding Planner's Daughter, #2)
  • Hurricane
  • Marcia's Madness (Sisters Eight, #5)
  • TTYL (Camp Confidential, #5)
  • My Last Best Friend
  • Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #1)
  • Wish You Were Eyre (The Mother-Daughter Book Club #6)
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • Best Friends and Drama Queens (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters

More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)