Start by marking “Last Nocturne” as Want to Read:
Last Nocturne

Last Nocturne

3.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Beautifully written and highly evocative of the bustling streets of London and Vienna in the early 20th century, 'Last Nocturne' is an intriguingly complex mystery of passion, secrets and lies.
Published March 1st 2008 by Allison & Busby

To ask other readers questions about Last Nocturne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Nocturne

Karen
Nov 16, 2010 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books, crime
I always think of these books as Jane Austen meets Crime Fiction. Which is probably somewhere between extremely unfair and absolutely acceptable depending on your own particular point of view. LAST NOCTURNE is from author Marjorie Eccles - who is best known in these parts for the Gil Mayo series, which was made into a short TV series that became quite a favourite.

Whilst Grace Thurley's decision to break off her engagement to a rather pompous local man secretly pleases her mother, moving to Lond
Nancy Quatrano
Jan 01, 2014 Nancy Quatrano rated it it was amazing
This book, released in 2008 by the Minotaur imprint of St. Martin's book, might be an older mystery, but thankfully it was given to me by a friend when she cleaned house and I'm very glad I got to read this. With a prologue that made me think of Mary Higgins Clark, and the carefully built patches (reminiscent of Lee Child's method)that eventually are tied together with a common thread to make a fascinating quilt, this was not a carefree read, but one that reintroduced me to the wonder of taking ...more
LJ
LAST NOCTURNE (Police Proc- CI Lamb, England/Vienna, Edwardian) – G+
Eccles, Marjorie – standalone
Allison & Busby, Ltd., UK Hardcover, 2008 – ISBN: 9780749080792

First Sentence: The child wakes in panic and sits bolt upright up in bed, clutching the cotton stuff of her nightgown to her chest.

Art gallery owner Eliot Martagon seemed to be content with his life. Theo Benton is an up-and-coming artist, some of whose paintings are displayed in Martagon’s gallery. Each man apparently commits suicide
Amy Paget
A British detective procedural with LOTS of atmosphere. Set in pre-world war I London and Vienna, Marjorie Eccles produces a mystery where the new trends in art and the new roles for women play a prominent role. I think I enjoyed this most for the manner in which the tempestuous trends in the early 20th century art world play into the mystery. If it's about the art world...I will read it!
George
Jun 21, 2011 George rated it really liked it
Mystery set from 1887 - 1909 with most of the action taking place in the last couple of years. The story moves back and forth between London and Vienna and involves the interaction of several characters. It starts as a couple of stories which blend together as the novel progresses. The mystery involves an event in Vienna and the deaths of two men in London.

It started a bit slow for me and the moving around between different characters and jumping between London and Vienna were off putting to me.
Taracuda
Jun 25, 2010 Taracuda rated it really liked it
This was a start-in-the-middle-and-work-your-way-out sort of book, but it never lost me as the story unfolded. There was a nice combination of history and mystery with just enough love thrown in. And melancholy, too.

Parts of the plot were a bit contrived, but the elements were woven together completely enough that I'm not sure if all of the story would have been told without them.

I did expect the police detectives to play more of a role than they did, largely because I liked their characters a
Cathy
Dec 14, 2010 Cathy rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book by this author I've read, mostly because I love her descriptive style of writing; but like the other title, I find her a bit long-winded. The jumps between characters, countries,a dn even decades as a mechanism to flesh out backstory and fill in clues is too much for me- I read to relax! Another reviewer described this as Jane Austen meets crime fiction- I think it's a prefect summary. Great historical writing, interesting mystery, just about 3 chapters overwritten.
Rhonda
Mar 09, 2010 Rhonda rated it liked it
while i liked it mostly, i can't say i loved it. the story was very intricate, taking place in the past and the present and in two different countries with many, many characters. at times, i felt bogged down. sometimes there seemed to be too many details and it dragged. i'll consider trying another of her books. she has good critical acclaim, so another chance seems appropriate.
Susan
There seems no connection between the unexplained suicide of a respectable art dealer and that of an impecunious artist. As Chief Inspector Lamb threads his way through the high and low points of Edwardian London, he finds all links lead back to a mysterious woman and child who have left Vienna for England after a strange death, shrouded in mystery.
Terri
Sep 22, 2014 Terri rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
The story is set in the early 1900's in England, with side trips to the past in Vienna. Slowly, very much so, the story evolves. Starting with 2 apparent, unconnected suicides, friends, family and a policeman discover what really happened in Vienna, and how involved the two deaths.

Second read of this, and it was difficult to get through.
Michele
Mar 15, 2013 Michele rated it liked it
The mystery itself is interesting but there were too many "main" characters. I enjoy this in a book if each character is well developed and adds an interesting perspective. But in this case it felt like we were switching around too much without significant investment in character development. It led to an overall feeling of disjointedness.
Dee
Dec 28, 2010 Dee rated it liked it
A good Edwardian mystery. Eccles takes her time, as would the people of that time, in setting out her characters, and the plot. A good twisted plot, with lots of red herrings. Who would have thought that the eminent banker Julian Manning, would have been capable of such cold, dastardly deeds?
Mary Kay
Nov 02, 2010 Mary Kay rated it liked it
At the turn of the last century, Chief Inspector Lamb has his hands full with the apparent suicides of two successful, happy men. The truth lies in occurences in Vienna several years ago, but several of the key players are muddying the waters.
Jana Denardo
Nov 23, 2012 Jana Denardo rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It felt more like a historical contemporary story than a mystery especially with long interludes taking place years before the murders but are the root of it. I liked it well enough but wasn't overwhelmed by it either.
Debbie
Feb 26, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is the third book I've read by Eccles. They are all good romantic suspense set in the past. In this one the world of art in London and Vienna and frustrated unrequited love.
Kerry
Dec 14, 2010 Kerry rated it liked it
Entertaining mystery. Not the best book I've ever read, but a quick and easy read that kept me entertained. Good light reading.
Cyndie
Jul 02, 2010 Cyndie rated it liked it
I am almost finished. Pretty good story, if I could just stay awake long enough at night to finish it!
Sep 24, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Last Nocturne is a well written book. Exciting mystery that kept the reader going to the very end.
Jenny
Mar 13, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
This was an interesting mystery. I really liked four of the characters. The others, not as much.
Spitz
Jun 18, 2015 Spitz rated it it was ok
A shame. All the ingredients for a really juicy novel, but rendered dry.
Anna
Dec 27, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Cindy
Jul 04, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it
Nice 1900-turn-of-century mystery. Easy read.
Pat Malon
Good mystery, enjoy her writing.
Judith Martin
Jul 20, 2010 Judith Martin rated it really liked it
Richly detailed, mystery upon mystery
Rae
Rae rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
LeAnne
LeAnne rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Dwheeler11
Dwheeler11 rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Ria Potter
Ria Potter marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Emily Von pfahl
Emily Von pfahl marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Aka Judith Bordill, Jennifer Hyde

Marjorie Eccles has written several romantic and crime novels, which have been published both in the UK and in the US. Many of her book shave been translated and serialised around the world. She has one grown up son and now lives in Hertfordshire
More about Marjorie Eccles...