Start by marking “My Daddy and Me” as Want to Read:
My Daddy and Me

My Daddy and Me

I can’t wait for my daddy to come home from work. There are so many things to do!

In a loving tribute to fathers and sons, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli and New Yorker artist Seymour Chwast join talents to celebrate the very best moment of the day: when daddy comes home.
Published December 26th 2006 by Dragonfly Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about My Daddy and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Daddy and Me

Marissa Masterson
Apr 15, 2012 Marissa Masterson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eced-221
My Daddy and Me is contemporary realistic book written by Jerry Spinelli. It is about a father and son that are dogs. The little dog talks about all he fun things he likes to do with his dad. This story is well written according to the literary standards. It has very colorful illustrations that match with the text. The characters are easily distinguished and well rounded. The characters do in fact resemble real world people except form them being dogs. They take part in events that normal father ...more
Slytano
Mar 04, 2013 Slytano rated it really liked it
Being a parent is tough. It doesn't matter if you are a mom or a dad...either way, it is tough.

This one happens to be about dads. It isn't explicit in saying so, but it is sort of a single dad. It can be interpreted anyway you want, but I inferred as much from reading this.

The thing is, I would probably recommend this to a father rather than a child. It is all about how excited a child gets when his father arrives home. I think it is easy to take that for granted, and seeing it on the pages is a
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jerry Spinelli did a wonderful job of writing a book about just a father and a son. It goes throughout their daily and nightly activities.

Classroom: I would use this to make sure I have a variety of "boy" books read in my classroom. It is also cute in explaining daily routines and schedules.
Matthew
Nov 19, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
I can see this working as a writing starter in the primary grades. The book contains simple, relatable details about a father son relationship that could stimulate connections in young readers. The dog motif is odd, but it doesn't take away from the overall beauty of the book and the writing doesn't come off like a dog story. That must have been an illustrator decision.
Trin.Jen.Anna
Oct 01, 2010 Trin.Jen.Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anna
This book tells a lot of stuff a son and dad could do together! -Jeni
"I like when the little doggy drives" - Hannah (friend)
"I like when the doggy dances" - Anna
"I like that they play together" - Trinity
Stacy Kirkman
Nice story about a young pup and what he likes to do with his dad. Basically a story about a son whose dad has time for him. Would be relatable for kids who have similar family life, but wouldn't be a good read for a child who doesn't have a father figure. Pictures are a little scary.
Josiah
Aug 25, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
This is a nice book about a father and son pair of dogs who have an excellent, dynamic relationship. The story that Jerry Spinelli writes is upbeat and ebullient, bringing a smile and giving hope.
Liliko
Oct 16, 2011 Liliko rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute!! it brings back so many memories. I would read it when it was the night before my dad came home. Then i would make my dad read it to me.
Megan
Sep 25, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
PB 27: I liked that I could see the brush strokes in the pictures, and that they were dogs. The story was cute. My favorite part was probably about when haircuts was discussed.
Vicki
Jun 22, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing
What a nice story about a boy who describes all the things he likes to do with his dad. Very poetic and an enjoyable read.
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Lizzie K
Lizzie K rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2009
Lovely Marlo
Lovely Marlo rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Scott Lindberg
Scott Lindberg rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2007
Jose
Jose rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Sarah Ward
Sarah Ward rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2013
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Lauren F
Lauren F rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Ricardo
Ricardo rated it really liked it
May 10, 2009
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2009
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2010
Gabby
Gabby rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Harrison
Harrison rated it it was ok
May 17, 2008
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Gary Urey
Gary Urey rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
When Jerry Spinelli was a kid, he wanted to grow up to be either a cowboy or a baseball player. Lucky for us he became a writer instead.

He grew up in rural Pennsylvania and went to college at Gettysburg College and Johns Hopkins University. He has published more than 25 books and has six children and 16 grandchildren.
Jerry Spinelli began writing when he was 16 — not much older than the hero of his
More about Jerry Spinelli...