Start by marking “Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set” as Want to Read:
Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set

Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set (Stargirl #1-2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  476 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Jerry Spinelli’s novel Stargirl, published in 2000, became an instant bestseller, beloved for its nonconformist heroine with a heart of gold. With over 1.4 million copies in print in North America alone and licenses in 27 languages, it's gone on to become an international hit. The acclaimed companion novel, Love, Stargirl, was published in 2007 and quickly became a New Yor ...more
Published August 14th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set

The Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenJust Listen by Sarah DessenThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLock and Key by Sarah Dessen
Best YA Chicklit
46th out of 552 books — 1,128 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonNoah Zarc by D. Robert PeaseCulloo by Murielle CyrNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras TozThe Field Guide by Holly Black
Books for 9 to 12 year olds
152nd out of 253 books — 232 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie B
Jun 22, 2010 Maggie B rated it it was amazing
look for the little things around you, the little miracles (like stargirl does - enchanted places, etc)
she had no ego, she always thought of others and did nice things for them
she wasn't afraid of getting up in front of lots of people and singing and dancing with her ukelele!
she is who WE are in the first few moments of waking, before our egos take over and suppress our basic, human selves
it's about the beauty and rarity of nonconformity
it's ok to not be liked by everyone - stargirl wasn't, but
Chelsea Burt
Oct 06, 2014 Chelsea Burt rated it liked it
The End of a Monotonous Life

A hook had grabbed b and slows began to reel me into a world of change when I recently read Stargirl by: Jerry Spinelli. From start to finish Spinelli begged the reader to join him in the everyday monotonous life of the average high school student. What separates Stargirl from all the others? The Author doesn't use crazy love stories or sports victories to woo the reader, but instead examines the simple joins of everyday life. Detailed composites of the life of a teen
Susan
Oct 10, 2010 Susan rated it it was ok
These series were okay.
I think Stargirl is better than Love, Stargirl; I stopped around 70 pages into Love, Stargirl and put it down because it gave me no interest. The whole plot just felt too random in my opinion. But I don't know, a lot of people I know just fell in love with this story. Maybe these books just weren't for me.
Erin
Mar 05, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved writing in this!
Chelsea
Apr 07, 2014 Chelsea added it
Shelves: favorites
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE these two books! I read Stargirl (the first one) when I was in high school, for a free read hour. I was told to pick a book to read and I had NO idea what to read; but the cover captured my attention, its so simple, yet it makes you want to know what lies within its pages. I was spell bound instantly within the first few chapters! It's such a loving, caring, but sad story. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves sad, love or funny stories. I purchased the box set shortly afte ...more
Anna
Apr 19, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Stargirl and Love,Stargirl were such great books,I admit Love,Stargirl was a little boring but not enough to stop reading it.
Chanel Earl
Jun 17, 2011 Chanel Earl rated it it was amazing
Stargirl isn't real, but I wish she were. The first book was good, even though Leo seemed to lack something (maybe that was the point). The second book was beautiful to me. It was sad and real and heartbreaking and I even cried a few times.

I love books that are full of hope, and characters that are full of life and motivation. Even though Love Stargirl was incredibly depressing at times, it did have hope at its core.

Favorite line: "Ain't no before Grace."
Averi
Mar 10, 2015 Averi rated it it was amazing
It was a good book about being yourself.
Kayla
Mar 05, 2014 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, wondeful book!!
Mar 08, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
I'm an education major and for my Children's Literature class, we had to read Stargirl. I loved it and never knew there was a sequel. I read it in a night and adored it.

There was a lot of depth and complexity to the sequel that I would be a little leary of in choosing it for a classroom setting in the younger grades. I thought it was more ideal for a 4th and 5th grade level, but that's just me personally.

I thought these were great books!!
Cherry
Mar 17, 2012 Cherry rated it really liked it
These books aren't usually my style, and I'm surprised I even ended up reading not only the entire book, but both of them as well; but what can I say? They really are good books. I really enjoyed them, and although I was disappointed (many, many, MANY times), they're worth a read. I actually ended up tearing up (okay, a little more than just tearing up... on the verge of bawling) at certain parts; but then again, I'm a big softie ;)
jeannine
Jun 26, 2008 jeannine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenilefiction
I am just starting to re read Stargirl, one of my all time favorites (along with the Little Prince, which I read montly to keep perspective on life) and can't wait to read the sequel!!!

OK...I didn't fall in love with the sequel like I loved StarGirl. I AM StarGirl...from the perspective of the male character (I've forgotten his name!)...although I did LOVE the ending and equinox! THAT was fantastic!!!
Amie
Dec 27, 2009 Amie rated it it was amazing
Got away this weekend and loved every minute I was able to read the first book. I can't wait for my daughter to read this. I loved the way this story was written. It is from a teenage boys perspective. They ought to hold a semester class in Junior High and High School on this book. My favorite line from the book..."She is more us than we are us. She is, I think, who we really are. Or were."
Ronda
Oct 28, 2008 Ronda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all teens, and teens at heart
Recommended to Ronda by: book group
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A most enjoyable book. I am reminded of the "star girl" inside me as a fifteen-sixteen year old girl. I remember that first love does not dim as time goes by. (even only a year...that is how much time goes by in the story) I love hos Stargirl deals with change constructively and helps a small cast of characters in the Pennsylvania town Stargirl now lives.
Gwen Mae
Dec 23, 2010 Gwen Mae rated it it was amazing
Both Stargirl and Love, Stargirl were amazing, and I have to say these books are probaly my favorite at the time. I have recomended these books to many people, some of them have actually read them and say they are both really good. In Love, Stargirl I wish Leo wrote back at the end. I also wonder if Leo even got the letters Stargirl wrote.
Claire
Nov 22, 2008 Claire marked it as to-read
This sound really good! A lot of people I know have read it and said that it was really good so i'm going to give it a try when i get the chance. There are so many books out there its hard to read all of the ones you wan to!
Tiana Slade
Oct 26, 2010 Tiana Slade rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Tiana by: My father
Shelves: favorite-books
I cried in these books, a lot. The girl really inspired me to get out of my shell and be myself. Amazing characters, unsettling reality and unique circumstances.
One of my favorites and yes, I know I have a lot.
Marcy Mancini
Jun 09, 2013 Marcy Mancini rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Great books! Especially for Pre-Teens...but just as entertaining for adults. I especially liked all the local Phoenixville, PA references in Love, Stargirl like BlobFest and the Dogwood Festival
Alexis
Jun 04, 2009 Alexis rated it it was amazing
These books were, like, so good! I got them for my birthday and the first one made me cry! I didn't like the second one as much, but the first one was really good1 I loved it!
Nazrene Gill
Beautiful book <3 stargirl
Randi
Feb 05, 2009 Randi added it
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! IT IS THE BEST STORY I HAVE READ!!! IT IS A ROMANTIC STORY OF TWO KIDS STARGIRL AND LEO. STARGIRL IS KINDA LIKE THE OUT CAST AT SCHOOL.
Kiely
Jan 26, 2008 Kiely rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed both of these books. Well-written, like-able characters. It's a sweet story. I sometimes wish I could be a little bit like Stargirl.
Desiree
Mar 03, 2014 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these books. The characters are fun and real. It's been quite a while since I picked up a book to read for fun, but these were perfect.
Amelia
Mar 05, 2009 Amelia marked it as i-d-like-to-have
Both, "Stargirl" and the second book "Love, Stargirl" hav esplendid reviews... maybe it's true, and I'd like to know!
David Peterson
Enjoyed the first one.. Struggled to get through this one... End was better than beginning
Olivia
Oct 27, 2008 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ALL THE EASTERN EAGLES OUT THERE!
Recommended to Olivia by: Ms. Ray--:)
I absolutely ADORED this book! It was sooooooooooo good! EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT!!!!!!!
Hilary
Mar 14, 2011 Hilary rated it it was amazing
I would have to say that I definitely liked stargirl better than love, stargirl...
Stephanie
Feb 21, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
It bugged me that you never find out if they ever meet again. I need closure in books.
Angie
Jan 09, 2012 Angie added it
good books and all but i kinda didnt like the second one but still i read it and ya
ReadsinBed
Jun 14, 2012 ReadsinBed rated it really liked it
The first book is amazing... the second, not as amazing, but not bad.
Love. Stargirl 1 6 Nov 22, 2007 08:55PM
  • Prudent Advice: Lessons for My Baby Daughter (A Life List for Every Woman)
  • The TV Kid
  • The Collected Plays, Vol. 2
  • The Best of McSweeney's Internet Tendency
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
  • Remalna's Children
  • The Journey: A Spiritual Roadmap for Modern Pilgrims
  • The Prisoner of Zenda & Rupert of Hentzau
  • Paint Lab: 52 Exercises inspired by Artists, Materials, Time, Place, and Method
  • The Loop
  • Holy Bible: TNIV - Today's New International Version, Thinline Bible
  • Day Out of Days
  • Two Gentlemen of Lebowski: A Most Excellent Comedie and Tragical Romance
  • The Great Lollipop Caper
  • Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant
  • Endless (Shadowlands, #3)
  • Braless in Wonderland
  • Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #1-2)
When Jerry Spinelli was a kid, he wanted to grow up to be either a cowboy or a baseball player. Lucky for us he became a writer instead.

He grew up in rural Pennsylvania and went to college at Gettysburg College and Johns Hopkins University. He has published more than 25 books and has six children and 16 grandchildren.
Jerry Spinelli began writing when he was 16 — not much older than the hero of his
More about Jerry Spinelli...

Stargirl (2 books)
  • Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)
  • Love, Stargirl (Stargirl, #2)