Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set

Stargirl/Love, Stargirl Boxed Set

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Jerry Spinelli’s novel Stargirl, published in 2000, became an instant bestseller, beloved for its nonconformist heroine with a heart of gold. With over 1.4 million copies in print in North America alone and licenses in 27 languages, it's gone on to become an international hit. The acclaimed companion novel, Love, Stargirl, was published in 2007 and quickly became a New Yor...more
Published August 14th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

The Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenJust Listen by Sarah DessenThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesLock and Key by Sarah DessenAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Best YA Chicklit
46th out of 386 books — 968 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCulloo by Murielle CyrNoah Zarc by D. Robert PeaseNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras TozThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books for 9 to 12 year olds
108th out of 194 books — 189 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie B
look for the little things around you, the little miracles (like stargirl does - enchanted places, etc)
she had no ego, she always thought of others and did nice things for them
she wasn't afraid of getting up in front of lots of people and singing and dancing with her ukelele!
she is who WE are in the first few moments of waking, before our egos take over and suppress our basic, human selves
it's about the beauty and rarity of nonconformity
it's ok to not be liked by everyone - stargirl wasn't, but...more
Susan
These series were okay.
I think Stargirl is better than Love, Stargirl; I stopped around 70 pages into Love, Stargirl and put it down because it gave me no interest. The whole plot just felt too random in my opinion. But I don't know, a lot of people I know just fell in love with this story. Maybe these books just weren't for me.
Erin
i loved writing in this!
Chelsea
Apr 07, 2014 Chelsea added it
Shelves: favorites
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE these two books! I read Stargirl (the first one) when I was in high school, for a free read hour. I was told to pick a book to read and I had NO idea what to read; but the cover captured my attention, its so simple, yet it makes you want to know what lies within its pages. I was spell bound instantly within the first few chapters! It's such a loving, caring, but sad story. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves sad, love or funny stories. I purchased the box set shortly afte...more
Chanel Earl
Stargirl isn't real, but I wish she were. The first book was good, even though Leo seemed to lack something (maybe that was the point). The second book was beautiful to me. It was sad and real and heartbreaking and I even cried a few times.

I love books that are full of hope, and characters that are full of life and motivation. Even though Love Stargirl was incredibly depressing at times, it did have hope at its core.

Favorite line: "Ain't no before Grace."
Kayla
Wonderful, wondeful book!!
I'm an education major and for my Children's Literature class, we had to read Stargirl. I loved it and never knew there was a sequel. I read it in a night and adored it.

There was a lot of depth and complexity to the sequel that I would be a little leary of in choosing it for a classroom setting in the younger grades. I thought it was more ideal for a 4th and 5th grade level, but that's just me personally.

I thought these were great books!!
Cherry
These books aren't usually my style, and I'm surprised I even ended up reading not only the entire book, but both of them as well; but what can I say? They really are good books. I really enjoyed them, and although I was disappointed (many, many, MANY times), they're worth a read. I actually ended up tearing up (okay, a little more than just tearing up... on the verge of bawling) at certain parts; but then again, I'm a big softie ;)
jeannine
I am just starting to re read Stargirl, one of my all time favorites (along with the Little Prince, which I read montly to keep perspective on life) and can't wait to read the sequel!!!

OK...I didn't fall in love with the sequel like I loved StarGirl. I AM StarGirl...from the perspective of the male character (I've forgotten his name!)...although I did LOVE the ending and equinox! THAT was fantastic!!!
Amie
Got away this weekend and loved every minute I was able to read the first book. I can't wait for my daughter to read this. I loved the way this story was written. It is from a teenage boys perspective. They ought to hold a semester class in Junior High and High School on this book. My favorite line from the book..."She is more us than we are us. She is, I think, who we really are. Or were."
Ronda
Oct 28, 2008 Ronda rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: all teens, and teens at heart
Recommended to Ronda by: book group
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A most enjoyable book. I am reminded of the "star girl" inside me as a fifteen-sixteen year old girl. I remember that first love does not dim as time goes by. (even only a year...that is how much time goes by in the story) I love hos Stargirl deals with change constructively and helps a small cast of characters in the Pennsylvania town Stargirl now lives.
Gwen Mae
Both Stargirl and Love, Stargirl were amazing, and I have to say these books are probaly my favorite at the time. I have recomended these books to many people, some of them have actually read them and say they are both really good. In Love, Stargirl I wish Leo wrote back at the end. I also wonder if Leo even got the letters Stargirl wrote.
Claire
Nov 22, 2008 Claire marked it as to-read
This sound really good! A lot of people I know have read it and said that it was really good so i'm going to give it a try when i get the chance. There are so many books out there its hard to read all of the ones you wan to!
Tiana Slade
Oct 26, 2010 Tiana Slade rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Tiana by: My father
Shelves: favorite-books
I cried in these books, a lot. The girl really inspired me to get out of my shell and be myself. Amazing characters, unsettling reality and unique circumstances.
One of my favorites and yes, I know I have a lot.
Marcy Mancini
Great books! Especially for Pre-Teens...but just as entertaining for adults. I especially liked all the local Phoenixville, PA references in Love, Stargirl like BlobFest and the Dogwood Festival
Alexis
These books were, like, so good! I got them for my birthday and the first one made me cry! I didn't like the second one as much, but the first one was really good1 I loved it!
Randi
Feb 05, 2009 Randi added it
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! IT IS THE BEST STORY I HAVE READ!!! IT IS A ROMANTIC STORY OF TWO KIDS STARGIRL AND LEO. STARGIRL IS KINDA LIKE THE OUT CAST AT SCHOOL.
Kiely
I really enjoyed both of these books. Well-written, like-able characters. It's a sweet story. I sometimes wish I could be a little bit like Stargirl.
Amelia
Mar 05, 2009 Amelia marked it as i-d-like-to-have
Both, "Stargirl" and the second book "Love, Stargirl" hav esplendid reviews... maybe it's true, and I'd like to know!
David Peterson
Enjoyed the first one.. Struggled to get through this one... End was better than beginning
Olivia
Oct 27, 2008 Olivia rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: ALL THE EASTERN EAGLES OUT THERE!
Recommended to Olivia by: Ms. Ray--:)
I absolutely ADORED this book! It was sooooooooooo good! EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT!!!!!!!
Hilary
I would have to say that I definitely liked stargirl better than love, stargirl...
Stephanie
It bugged me that you never find out if they ever meet again. I need closure in books.
Angie
Jan 09, 2012 Angie added it
good books and all but i kinda didnt like the second one but still i read it and ya
Jaymie
The first book is amazing... the second, not as amazing, but not bad.
Eman
May 25, 2013 Eman added it
it is great novel i liked it very much i never get bored of reading it
Zara Jane
this is so good it totally changed my life.
i love these books so much
December
I wish that I could be stargirl, in fact its what i strive for
Anna
Both books were really good, although the first one was better
Robyn Crystal
A lot different than I expected. Like the first book more.
Love. Stargirl 1 6 Nov 22, 2007 08:55PM
  • Sticks
  • Richard Wright and the Library Card
  • Before Sunrise & Before Sunset: Two Screenplays
  • Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant
  • Read Responsibly (Unshelved, #5)
  • The Prisoner of Zenda & Rupert of Hentzau
  • Zits: Chillax
  • It's Classified (Charlotte Kramer, #2)
  • Holy Bible: TNIV - Today's New International Version, Thinline Bible
  • The Night Torn Mad With Footsteps
  • A Waltz for Matilda
  • A Year at the Movies: One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey
  • Fonduing Fathers (A White House Chef Mystery, #6)
  • Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League
When Jerry Spinelli was a kid, he wanted to grow up to be either a cowboy or a baseball player. Lucky for us he became a writer instead.

He grew up in rural Pennsylvania and went to college at Gettysburg College and Johns Hopkins University. He has published more than 25 books and has six children and 16 grandchildren.
Jerry Spinelli began writing when he was 16 — not much older than the hero of his...more
More about Jerry Spinelli...
Stargirl (Stargirl, #1) Maniac Magee Love, Stargirl (Stargirl, #2) Milkweed Loser