Start by marking “The Hunted” as Want to Read:
The Hunted

The Hunted

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  48 reviews
From Miami to Detroit to Hollywood, Elmore Leonard has carved out a classic turf and populated it with unforgettable schemers, wiseguys, misfits, and hit men. In The Hunted, Leonard goes international, as a man named Rosen runs from some Motor City mobsters all the way to Israel and a U.S. Marine finds a perfect little war. Al Rosen is lying in bed with a beautiful divorcé...more
Unknown Binding
Published March 6th 2006 by Not Avail (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunted

Craig Pittman
The other day I heard Elmore Leonard had suffered a stroke, so when I had to visit a bookstore to buy a gift, I found myself browsing the section with all of his books on display and thinking back fondly about all the ones I'd really enjoyed. But then I saw an unfamiliar title: "The Hunted." I picked it up and checked the copyright date: 1977. I thought I had read nearly all of Leonard's thrillers, but here was one I'd somehow missed, so I bought it.

I'm glad I did. Chronologically it falls after...more
Jamie
Two minutes in and I wanted to kiss this book on the mouth. Forget pretentious, stilted, and boring. How do these other books try to write twice the story and only come away with half?

It’s an early one, so more straightforward but doesn’t suffer from it a bit. I’ve said something to this effect before: I will read Elmore write about blistering standoffs and unlikely allies all day long.

Also loved: how, as usual, as always, bring on the criminals and misfits but the only unforgivable crime is a...more
Jim
Overall, this was another excellent Leonard story, but it seemed to go on a bit too long. I don't really know anything I'd cut out, though. There was certainly plenty of twisty action all the way up to a perfect ending. Great characters. Leonard likes to have a minimum of them & sketches them out perfectly, then slowly grows them into full fledged beings that just obey their natures & write the rest of the story themselves. Fantastic.

So a 3.5. Great entertainment & well read.
Tom Marcinko
My Elmore fixation continues. I used to read him too fast, I think. If you blink you miss something—plot and nuance. Also, I love the way he accomplishes a lot as a writer without seeming to be doing much at all.
Favoring the earlier novels and reading my way forward, gradually. I expect to read them all.
This one was set in Israel.

~“It’s hot here.” “Yes, it’s nice, isn’t it?”~

~“He’s going to have a heart attack,” Davis said. “I hope so,” Tali said.~

~Mel Bandy took his shower in 823. It would b...more
Ensiform
Al Rosen, a businessman hiding out in Israel from some criminals he testified against, is found when his picture is printed Stateside. As three killers hone in on Rosen, he meets with a decorated Marine and Vietnam vet who makes Rosen’s safety his business. It’s an exciting action story, interlaced with ruminations on age and confidence and people. And of course it’s liberally sprinkled with that dry, deadpan Leonard dialogue. The ending, unlike that of other Leonard books I’ve read, was just pe...more
Johnny
Elmore Leonard has this fascinating ability to capture that type of person with no moral scruples whatsoever. In fact, most of his stories have more than one such person and several of them experience poetic justice. Of course, enough of them get away with what they do that you can never be certain of the eventual outcome. In this novel, the Al Rosen (no relation to the former Cleveland Indians star) with a price on his head has been “on the lam” for many years. At the start of the story, he mak...more
wally
didn't elmore leonard receive recently...like this week...some award?...or maybe it was last week? thought i saw something in the paper about it...i forget the award.

and...having just finished Richard Stark's...The Hunter...i could not resist reading this one, next...another elmore leonard, anyway...#? #7-8? from him for me?

heh! stark's story has two./..three counting the gun...silhouettes on the cover, a woman...a man...the gun. this one has a man-shape target on the cover...might want to re-th...more
Frostling
Elmore Leonard is always praised for his sharp, witty dialogues and this novel provides exactly that. My main concern was that there would be long talks, going on and on, where everything is resolved with words, a bit like Oscar Wilde with an Uzi. Thankfully is wasn’t like that. There is even a lot of action/description and even a touch of philosophy - although some might call it cheap…

To resume the book in a few words, The Hunted is the story of a man pursued by the Detroit mob. With its succes...more
James
I wasn't quite sure what to expect with The Hunted, it being by far the earliest of Elmore Leonard's books that I've read, in addition to being one of his somewhat lesser known ones, but the style that I'm familiar with (from Glitz and Get Shorty) was definitely there.

I got confused at a few points regarding setting and geography, but I'm guessing that's my lack of experience with big cities, let alone Israel, more than anything. In addition, I couldn't help but think about Davis (my pick for t...more
Michael
Published in 1977, this was the oldest Elmore Leonard book I had ever read. I was surprised how fully formed his style was even back then. I read a few criticisms that it ended too abruptly, but I much prefer that over the stories that wear out their welcome. The ending reminded me of a lot of movies from the 70s where as soon as the conflict was resolved, the movie was over and the credits began to roll. I'm also thinking of just about every Shaw Bros film ever made: the villian is killed, or b...more
Jrobertus
I love Elmore Leonard books for casual enjoyment. THe Hunted was great fun from the master of fast patter. In this story an American businessman of dubious past is hiding from the Detroit mob as As Rosen, in Israel. A chance encounter brings his whereabouts to the bad guy's attention and they come after him. A loyal Israeli girl who works for Rosen, and a U.S. Marine on leave from embassy duty aid him in his efforts to survive. The plot is interesting, the sense of place is intriguing, and as us...more
Jennifer Strauss Gurss
Great audiobook to listen to on a long car ride. Some unfinished bits at the end, with minor characters, but spellbinding enough to make the miles go quickly
Jason
When I was reading this book and one of the characters made reference to what he had done in the war, I was confused about which war he meant because he didn't seem old enough to be talking about Vietnam (which he was). That's when I realized that the book was written in 1977, and it struck me how much the language and dialogue felt like it was written now. To me, that speaks to what is so awesome about this book and what makes Leonard books timeless - dialogue that is real, unadorned, and creat...more
Tom M
(Read as part of the Dutch Treat three story compilation which apparently was edited, as GoodReads puts this story at over 300 pages)

Al Rosen is a Detroit businessman living in Israel hiding from some teamsters trying to "find" him.

Being a short novel at 185 pages, the action begins quickly and pushes you to the end. Originally I was a bit lost as Leonard throws a bunch of characters at you immediately but as the story progresses they're fleshed out in more detail and fit into the plot. The main...more
Daniel Sevitt
Really odd early Leonard set in Israel. He uses real, recognizable settings to tell a simple tale.
Darren
very good, like all the others I have been reading. Now I'm going to start a western by Leonard and check that out
Christian
Pretty good Leonard. Typically, man's past comes back to haunt him fare, but the way Dutch sets it up makes it seem like the protagonist, Rosen, is going to be this amazing badass, and halfway through the book Rosen becomes a neutered shell of the first-25-pages-Rosen and becomes resigned to being saved by a Vietnam vet in the midst of a prolonged flashback of sorts. Similar to "Out of the Past" in its premise but more like "A History of Violence" in its third act problems. Still, lesser Leonard...more
Matthew Newton
Generally enjoyable.
Abby
Fun, fast read. I'd never read Elmore Leonard before, and now I know why he was lauded.
태호 신
Leonard prides himself on his invisibility and this one's a good example why. Simple, elegant and fun, with moments of surprising depth. I can read him all day.
Peter Poole
A great, vivid read that got me into Elmore Leonard's unique, slick, succinct and accessible style of prose. A taut tale of crime and manhunting, set in Israel but using the place as an interesting locale rather than piling on the politics. One slight continuity error with a military officer's rucksack is the kind of glitch you spot in films, but can be overlooked - see if you spot it!
Mazel
Le sergent Davis, du Corps des Marines, allait prendre une retraite qu'il redoutait, comme bien des futurs retraités.

Et, sans le savoir, sans le vouloir, il trouva la solution. Il devint, dans les sables du Sinaï, une sorte de Don Quichotte et de redresseur de torts.

Sa Dulcinée était une charmante israélienne. Mais les moulins à vent se révélèrent de redoutables malfrats.
Kye Alfred Hillig
I'm not one for the Heist drama kind of deal but I have to say that Mr.Leonard is a great writer. I read this book as advised by people who were in the know and then I knew they didn't know me. My hat does go off to him though. He knows how to keep your attention and he drops twists and turns at the right times. If you like his genre you will adore this book.
Steve
Set in Israel, this novel sucks you in and won't let go. Al Rosen is on the lam, anonymous in Tel Aviv, until his cover is blown and assassins pursue him and the money he's being paid by his company. How does he get away? The story is fun, and you'll be left wanting more.
Dominique Jacques
Déçue. Un policier de la série noire. Un jeune GI démobilisé prend fait et cause pour un petit voyou. Pour amateur du genre, à la limite du compréhensible. Pour un scénario de 50 minutes tourné en décors naturels dans le désert du Sinaï.
Godzilla
I loved the chracterisations, and the opening was sharp and pacy. However I felt the flow disappeared about half way through, and the denouement was disappointing, with a rushed and incomplete feeling to it.
nina
At his best, Elmore Leonard is the master of a tight plot and of stylized dialogue. He hasn't been at his best for the last ten years, but his early stuff is a delight. This is one of my favorites.
Alex
Suffice to say that this was the first Elmore Leonard I read, since when I've read over 30 more. Most writers lose their appeal after a while, but I'm always ready to read another EL.
Travis
I really liked the uncertainty that a lot of the characters had. To often characters are too cool for school and always know what is going on. No so here. Great read.
Jeff Messerman
Strange, oddly zen book by Leonard, set in Isreal. Dozens of characters, no real focus, swirls all over the place... and yet always compelling.
  • Death on the D-List (Hailey Dean, #2)
  • Faithless: Tales of Transgression
  • Flash of Green (Fawcett Gold Medal)
  • Way Down on the High Lonely (Neal Carey, #3)
  • When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6)
  • New Hope for the Dead
  • Gun Monkeys
  • What it Was
  • Transgressions
  • Trap Line
  • A Dangerous Man (Hank Thompson, #3)
  • Greed
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into m...more
More about Elmore Leonard...
Get Shorty (Chili Palmer, #1) Out of Sight Tishomingo Blues Rum Punch 52 Pick Up