Start by marking “Down the Garden Path (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Down the Garden Path

Dorothy Cannell

Down the Garden Path (Ellie Haskell Mystery #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  455 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Orphan Tessa Fields seeks her origins helped by two endearing elderly spinster Tramwells and reluctant secret love, Harry Harkness. Tessa feigns amnesia to recover in the Tramwell ancestral home. But the butler creeps around in his socks, and in her closet. How does the coquettish maid know all about Tessa and Harry? Why are the Misses Tramwells so good at cards?
Published (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Down the Garden Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down the Garden Path

Pamela Mclaren
This is a light, silly romance-mystery. Its OK but I like my lead characters to be a bit smarter and not so ditzy. I guess you could say that this is a sort of "Lucy" book but Tessa isn't as funny as Lucille Ball.

A baby found on the door step of a vicarage is raised to adulthood in a loving home by the minister and his late wife. She is in love with a young man who, once she is grown, falls for her but when he proposes (with a ring she herself admired), she spurns him, then when she decides that
Sharla
Goodreads has the book listed as an Ellie Haskell mystery, which it most definitely is NOT. While I like Dorothy Cannell's writing style as always, I did not like the leading character, Tessa. The whole thing was a bit too much like a formula romance for my taste. The characters of Godfrey and his mother are stereo-typed to the sky and back and not in a pleasant way. Dorothy Cannell is better than this.
Krista
Liked it alright; not as engaging as The Thin Woman, and I can't quite figure out why. Perhaps it was the more distinctly-English vocabulary, which I'm not fluent in, or maybe it was the heroine, who wasn't as instantly relatable... but it was a good read, at any rate. :) The beginning is very densely-written, as well, so there are what feels like a dozen or so names bandied about, most never to return, and it was difficult to keep track of them in my mind (since one never knows *who* might make ...more
Betsy Panayides
Too much lunacy. Advertised as part of Elli Haskell Series but had neither Ellie Haskell or any other characters in her previous book. Didn't finish.
Hally
After a slow start I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I'd picked it from a list of books that are supposed to be humorous so wasn't expecting a "mystery" and I suppose it was a bit dry in a Brittish sort of way.Lately, I've been reading a few fast-paced novels with page-turning gimmicks (that I always fall for) so it took a little time for me to find my way back to a descriptive meandering path of a story. Now I don't want to leave the grand old houses with their eclectic gathering of stuff, rambl ...more
Jane Glen
Could not finish this. Purely ditzy, if that's a word!
Kathie
Nowhere near as good as the first one. Confusing and story drags. No interest in the characters. I skipped the last couple chapters and just read the ending so I cold find out who did it and the answer to the other mystery within the mystery. Do not recommend reading this book. I am going to read the next in the series with the hope that it is as good as her first book
The Flooze
A tidy tale of murder, family secrets, card sharps and antiques, all taking place in the Cotswolds.

Although not as amusing as Cannell's Ellie Haskell mysteries, this tale of Tessa Fields and the Tramwell sisters is still worthwhile. The spinsters and their reformed Butler seem well suited to a life of deception and snooping, so I'll be happy to revist them in the future.
Jennifer Bills
Didn't enjoy this one as much as The Thin
Woman.
Madelyn
Tessa Fields is trying to find her birth mother to discover her true origins. Her friend and secret love, Harry Harkness agrees to help her with a scheme she dreams up of pretending to have amnesia so that she can recover at the Tramwells' ancestral home. A wonderful cast of eccentric characters.
ara133photography
I'm not sure why the title says "Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2"... Ellie is not in it... but anyway, super cute! Funny, charming mystery. The main love interest was a little annoying at times, but not unlikeable. I love Tessa's masquerade plan and the trouble it brings! Fun read.
Chanin
I loved "The Thin Woman" so I picked this one up. It is Dorothy Cannell's second mystery novel. It doesn't have Ellie Haskell in it, but it is equally fun, wacky, and witty. Makes you wonder what the author is like as a person if her characters are so delicious. This was fun to read.
colleen
another great mystery in the quirky british genre. i have read other ones in this series, but stumbled upon this one recently and had to read it. it is the first one of the tessa fields series and i enjoyed it immensely.
Britt
It was a nice read but not as enjoyable as the Ellie Haskell mysteries (this is NOT a book of the series!). The writing and the setting were good but the story itself was a bit too slow-going, even for a cozy mystery.
Kathy
Okay, confession. I lost this book several times in midread and haven't really finished it. Sometimes the time is just not right for a particular book. I'll go back to this some other time, perhaps.
Jenalyn
Very choppy writing, confusing yet predictable love interest, and the protagonist is always annoyingly making assumptions about everyone with very little to base them on.
Leslie Angel
this is not an ellie haskell mystery; it's a standalone. reads like an earlier work, many of the same themes, but not as polished or as funny. still, it's an entertaining read.
Katie Powell
I love the Ellie Haskell books - None of them are as fun as the first in the series, The Thin Woman, but they all are quick, snappy reads. Highly recommend the series.
Lana Sims
Normally, I like this author, but this novel was tedious. I frequently lost the book. The plot was entirely predictable, the characters only marginally likable.
Bonnie Kerr
I read about half of this book and couldn't continue. I was very bored by it, but I loved "The Thin Women" so I was very disappointed with it.
Rachel
The book description says this is the second book in the Ellie Haskell series and yet Ellie Haskell never appears in it! Still good though.
S.E. Gilchrist
Not quite in the same rating as the Thin Woman series, but a great read nevertheless.
Winter
Worth your time to read, its delectable!
Mare
Ms. Cannell's characters are always a treat.
Kay
Kay is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters Mystery, #3)
  • False Premises
  • murder@maggody.com (Arly Hanks, #12)
  • Murder Most Crafty
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Sisters in Crime (Sisters in Crime, #1)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Courting Trouble (Cass Shipton, #4)
  • Murder Can Botch Up Your Birthday (Desiree Shapiro Mystery #11)
  • A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • The Maltese Goddess (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #2)
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

Dorothy Cannell was born in London, England, and now lives in Belfast, Maine. Dorothy Cannell writes mysteries featuring Ellie Haskell, interior decorator and Ben Haskell, writer and chef, and Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell, a pair of dotty sisters and owners of the Flowers Detection Agency.

(from Internet Book List)

Dorothy Cannell, a mother of four, grandmother of te
More about Dorothy Cannell...

Ellie Haskell Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6)
  • How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)
  • The Trouble with Harriet (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #9)
  • Bridesmaids Revisited (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)
The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1) The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3) Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #12) How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6) Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4)