Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)

Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  39 reviews
When a middle-aged man is brutally murdered in the dunes overlooking a children's pool, it's immediately clear to Sergeant Jill Jackson that this was no ordinary victim: someone has stopped a dangerous paedophile in his tracks. Knowing first-hand the impact of such men on their prey, Jill is ambivalent about pursuing the killer, but when more men die - all known to police...more
Soft Cover, 322 pages
Published 2007 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Vodka Doesn't Freeze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vodka Doesn't Freeze

Brenda
When Sergeant Jill Jackson was called out on her day off by Scotty, her partner, she didn’t expect it to be the beginning of a violent few weeks. But the murder of a man in his 40s in the sand dunes, overlooking young children swimming and playing in the sand set alarm bells off in her mind. It also caused her own terrible nightmares to resurface. For a camera with horrifying images on it, lying beside a man with his fly open, gave them all the realization that he wasn’t just sunbaking.

After mor...more
Robert
I had been looking for a book set specifically in Australia, but no particular genre. The title grabbed my attention and the description hooked me in. Mind you, I had put my local public library to go to a bit of trouble getting my copy. They kindly had a copy set to me from another library in a completely different State...all the way from Las Vegas Nevada! That's 420 miles away and at no cost to me at all. (We are lucky to have a splendid library system here!)

Was the story worth going to such...more
Sunnie

Leah Giarratano is a trauma psychologist based in Sydney. Among her clients have been victims of sexual abuse and men serving sentences for child abuse. VODKA DOESN’T FREEZE is her first novel. I had the good fortune to hear Giarratano speak last year. She talked about the book being cathartic for her. She regarded it as an exercise to purge herself of bottled up emotions. She never expected a publisher to accept it.

VODKA DOESN’T FREEZE isn’t an easy book. It is a very dark subject Giarratano wr...more
Tyson Adams
I'm really unsure as to whether to rate this a 4 or a 5. Lets call it 4.5

It was only just over a day ago when I gave up on a book. I found I was putting off reading, a clear sign that the book sucked. So I moved on, moved on and picked up Leah Giarratano's first novel. This book was just what I needed.

I met Leah at the Perth Writers' Festival. Aside from being one of the nicest people you will meet, she is also a very good crime writer. She draws on her background in psychology to delve into the...more
Bree T
The book opens with the murder of a man on a high point overlooking a pool where plenty of children play. The digital camera nearby and the fact that his fly is open give a pretty good clue that he’s not there to catch some rays. He’s the first of a series of similar murders. All are unhealthily interested in small children. All are violently bludgeoned or stabbed to death. And all are linked to a psychologist in outer western Sydney who was treating victims of all of them. Something isn’t quite...more
Rob Kitchin
Vodka Doesn’t Freeze isn’t the easiest of reads – child sex abuse and paedophilia rings are not the stuff of light reading. However, Giarrantano draws on her accumulated experience as a psychologist dealing with sex offenders and survivors to handle the material with care. The police politics and rivalries are realistic, but what lifts the book beyond the normal is the characterisation, especially the victims and perpetrators, which is excellent, along with some astute observations about familie...more
Karen
Nobody could possibly call reading VODKA DOESN'T FREEZE a pleasure - it's an absolutely heartbreaking and very discomforting book. The author is a trauma psychologist who works with victims, and victims are very much the focus of VODKA DOESN'T FREEZE.

A young girl, victim of sexual abuse kills herself. Her psychologist Mercy treats patients who have suffered trauma, but Mercy seems to be very close to breaking in her own right. A middle-aged man is beaten to death in his hiding spot in the scrub,...more
Emma
Three and a half stars.

I think this is the first time I've read an Australian crime story. Australia means sunshine and surfers; detective novels mean fog, rain and icy roads (yes, I'm all about clichés today :D). So, in my head, those worlds shouldn't meet. But here, they did!

And I must say it wasn't a bad book.

Two things annoyed me though:
- the main character keeps being assaulted throughout the book. I mean, okay, she was a victim in her childhood (not spoiling you, you learn that at page 10...more
Book Addict Shaun
Ages ago I searched for crime fiction set in Australia and found this series by Leah Giarratano. Only now after finishing this, the first in the series, am I kicking myself for not reading it sooner! The subject matter made this a pretty disturbing read at times but other than that I enjoyed it immensely and cannot reccommend it highly enough.

I read a lot of crime fiction, though this book was more psychological thriller I felt and the thing I enjoy most about it is 'series' crime fiction. Serie...more
Charlie Head
This was a very intense read with a very heavy subject matter, would be my first observation. It deals with the rape and abuse of children, which is never a light matter, but it wasn't so horrifying that it completely alienated me.

The characters were beautifully crafted, very believable and solid, they seemed very very real. You had the most disgusting villains and a heroine you sincerely wanted to succeed.

I read this very quickly, for several reasons ranging from addictive horror, a well-pace...more
Trak
It was not a bad book but what irked was the main character being assaulted not once but twice in 48 hours and it seemed to add nothing to the story line except to say she is female and vulnerable or it was an excuse to get her home and resting with the family or it was an excuse to bring out the characters tortured past. Made me think this character, apart from carrying a lot of baggage is almost incapable of functioning and it really did weaken her for me. I was not looking for her to being a...more
Ann Stanland
I've been in the mood lately to go back to reading crime and thriller novels for fun. I visited Toronto's book store The Sleuth of Baker Street and picked up a couple of novels there since they specialize in this genre, and now I'm hooked.

I enjoyed Australian psychologist Leah Giarratano's Vodka Doesn't Freeze. It's part of the detective Jillian Jackson series, and I want to read more! I'm looking forward to reading her other novels Black Ice, Voodoo Doll, and Watch the World Burn.

In Vodka Doesn...more
Charlie23
A great debut novel! It had a big twist at the end that I didn't see coming which I always appreciate when reading a crime novel. It was relateable as it is set in Sydney. Makes you question what you do and don't know about those around you.
Victoria
Heavy subject matter but a gripping read if you've got the stomach for the cracking of a paedophile ring - a fast read to fill in a rainy weekend. A nice change to read a novel of this genre which is set in Australia (I'm so used to Cornwell).
Tien
I was taken by surprised as to how much I enjoyed this book. I didn't there would be many crime books to surprise me but I think being set in an area you are familiar with (Sydney & surrounding suburbs) makes a difference as well. What I love most though was Jillian Jackson - what a tough (& smart) cookie!

The subject matter (phaedophilia) is very touchy for me and yet, the book surprised a few tears out of me. It was slightly embarrasing since I was reading on the train ride to work!

Howe...more
Glen
I bought this book as i watched beyond the dark lands and a heard the chick on there wrote novels. I had mixed feelings about this read. It had me pretty sucked in to the story for most of the way but toward the end i kind of lost me. It felt far fetched and predictable. Which was a shame as i did really enjoy it up till then. I still recomend it as a read and i will proberly check out the other 2 book Leah done, but like i said above the events leading to the end of the book just lost me to be...more
Madi
The violence in this book astounded me at the start but as it progressed I realized that the author was using this violence to make a very interesting point about violence and gender stereotypes in crime fiction. The book was very interesting to read and the plot drew me in because it focused on different areas of crime then I was used to. This book was a lucky find at a secondhand store and I am glad I read it because it gave me a new perspective on the genre of crime writing.
Kelly
Jun 23, 2013 Kelly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Two stars for what was a storyline that had so much potential.
The writing however, was horrible at best. I'm quite partial to novels that opt to swap character perspectives each chapter, but swapping between perspectives within one chapter multiple times made the book disjointed. It had no flow, it was slow and there was no real depth to any of the characters.
I wanted to like this book, but it just didn't hold my attention at all.
Rachel Peterson
I liked this thriller. The police character Jill Jackson is a likeable heroine. It is set in Sydney and is about a pedophile ring where some of the members have been murdered. Quite a difficult topic made all the more chilling by the fact I read this after I saw the author at my local library speaking of her experiences as a clinical psychologist within Long Bay Gaol. I will progress to the next Jill Jackson book.
Jen
This is really 3.5 stars...

Everyone is going on about this book being graphic and disturbing and I actually found it more disturbing how it didn't reveal so much as conceal. Maybe I'm just jaded from reading Mo Hayder's books, but I didn't think there was too much gross detail in this, thank the Gods. haha.

Tight writing, harrowing subject matter and a nicely constructed story.
Sally906
Transferred from spreadsheet
Jo
Excellent fast paced thriller about a female police officer with a dark past investigating the murder of a paedophile. Not recommended for the parents of young children as the descriptions of the paedophile mindset are horrifying and would stop you ever letting them go outside, but otherwise highly recommended.
Terri
A crime story that deals with paedophilia, quite disturbing. The author is a trauma psychologist.and some details I would have preferred not to know. A good book if messy brutal crime appeals
K.L. Joy
Couldn't put this one down, scarily good! Well written, and portrayed the disturbing likeness of someone who has been damaged... almost beyond repair.
Claire Ireland
This book is brilliant as are her other books. They are insightful, heartstopping and well written. A must for anyone who loves a good murder thriller.
Mary
This was a good book....lots of suspenseful action. I will read more from her..she was a new author for me.
Anne Marshall
Didn’t finish. Too much abuse for all characters and it seemed like all characters self-harmed
Trisha
poor jill... she copped a lot, hopefully in voodoo dolls, she won't get as beaten up as much...
Michele Harrod
Excellent first novel, written by an expert in forensic crime. Looking forward to the next one.
Chai1965
A good page turner, some disturbing content but a satisfying read. Enjoyed the Sydney location.
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Frantic (Detective Ella Marconi #1)
  • Cold Grave
  • Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Fidelity
  • The Blood Detective
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis Mystery, #6)
  • Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)
  • One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1)
  • Wings of Fear (Formerly Border Watch)
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • The Bone is Pointed
  • Mad Men, Bad Girls and the Guerilla Knitters Institute
Dr Leah Giarratano has had a long career as a clinical psychologist. Her professional background offers a unique selling point in this genre and gives an authenticity to her writing. Leah is an expert in psychological trauma, sex offences and psychopathology and has had many years assessing psychopaths and treating their victims.

She has worked in psychiatric hospitals, with the defence force, and...more
More about Leah Giarratano...
The Telling (Disharmony, #1) Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2) Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3) Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson, #4) The Laeduin (Disharmony, #2)