Start by marking “The Offshore Pirate” as Want to Read:
The Offshore Pirate

Read Book

The Offshore Pirate

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  393 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
From time to time there was the bright flare of a match as one of them lighted a cigarette, but except for the low undertone of the throbbing engines and the even wash of the waves about the stern the yacht was quiet as a dream boat star-bound through the heavens. Round them flowed the smell of the night sea, bringing with it an infinite languor.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Offshore Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Offshore Pirate

Amanda
Jul 16, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I decided to read this short story not only because Scott is one of my favorite writers but also because some fans of the show "Once Upon a Time" pointed out some similarites between Ardita & Carlyle to Emma & Hook in the show. Being a fan of that paring I totally saw it and it made me love this story even more. I know I'd love this story anyway because I love Scott's "The Great Gatsby" & "Tender is the Night" and this story was just great!!! :D I loved it and now another favorite of ...more
Ben
Mar 19, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-lit
"The Offshore Pirate" is sublimely entertaining, almost of a Shakespearean quality. I don't know how much I'd like to dig into it except to say that Fitzgerald designs exceptional heroines who seem to throw off social convention with ease for the sake of a weightless, unburdened freedom of spirit and character. The men seem powerless to affect their own fates from the feminine influence.
Corinne
Feb 25, 2008 Corinne rated it really liked it
OK, I actually listed to the Classic Tales Podcast reading of this story, but that just wasn't an option on the goodreads list. The language, of course, is beautiful. The racial epithets are enough to strike this story from most school reading lists, I'm sure, and that it what it is. The story itself circles around themes of identity, pride, and escapism.
Olivia
Apr 02, 2009 Olivia rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The language in this is gorgeous and the main character, Ardita, made me SO angry but that's what shows you it's a good story: when you get emotionally frazzled by the characters. I was a little disappointed with the ending, I kind of wanted it to end sadly, but no, turns out it was all a joke. That pushed my buttons a bit. But it was cute :)
Lindsay
Jun 11, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
Entertaining, but pointless. A spoiler-free synopsis: bored obnoxious heiress is on yacht that gets hijacked by friendly pirates. Could have made a good smut novel.
Erin Bagwell
Apr 09, 2012 Erin Bagwell rated it it was amazing
My favorite short story from F Scott, the perfect summer read if you are in the mood for something short and sweet.
Clarence Bucaro
Nov 20, 2015 Clarence Bucaro rated it liked it
Beautiful writing as always from f Scott. Ending disappointed me. Otherwise a 4 or 5 star story to me
Kelly
Dec 28, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it
I struggle with this one. If we isolate the romance (minus the ending), it's quite entertaining. Ardita is an interesting character that avoids being annoying. And trust me, she had all the fixings to be annoying. She's rich, cocky, self-centered, etc. So what's the problem? Oh, well at the end she finds out that the "pirate" is really a rich boy who deceived her the whole time, and she's not only okay with that but wants him to always lie to her. Pretty problematic, no? And that problem is smal ...more
Casey
Apr 27, 2016 Casey rated it it was amazing
Jazz stories/ the revolt of the Angels/ you can lie to me by the moonlight/ all life is a progression towards or a recession from one phrase. I love you. On a sea that was a blue dream and beneath a sky as blue as the irises of children's eyes-- you can almost hear the mermaids as they comb their silver dripping curls under the moon and gossiped to each other of the fine wrecks they lived in on the green opalescent avenues below.
Stacey (wanderlustforwords67)
Aug 10, 2015 Stacey (wanderlustforwords67) rated it really liked it
I listened to this novella today. It was funny and representative off the 1920's. The protagonist was sassy and attempting to buck the aristocratic expectations of her genre. What shocked me is- despite her protestations- she still solely relied on her beauty and body as her sole means of financial survival- meaning finding a rich man to pay her way.
Rebecca Timberlake
I remember glancing at this a few years ago when I took a class on Fitzgerald, but this particular short story wasn't required reading, so I decided not to add more than necessary to my reading list. I'm glad I decided to pick it back up and finish it, though. It was cute and fun, quite a bit different from what I've come to expect from Fitzgerald.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
That was a really unexpected ending. I felt so jealous of Ardita's pride that I wanted to see it broken,deep in my mind.(cruel me.!!) It's a fantastic way to win a girl's heart. Nice plot combined with Fitzgerald's flowery dialogues makes it a perfect romantic treat..
Daniel Threlfall
Aug 02, 2015 Daniel Threlfall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Amazing. Philosophical novella at its finest. Fitzgerald was a genius.
Annika
Apr 15, 2016 Annika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook narrated by B.J. Harrison (The Classic Tales Audiobooks)
Vanessa
Apr 04, 2014 Vanessa rated it liked it
...
Kathie
Oct 01, 2013 Kathie rated it really liked it
Short and clever story of a spoiled rich girl, Ardita who determined to run off with a man the family dislikes. She refuses all her uncle's attempts to introduce her to more acceptable young men. One evening the yacht upon which she is staying is overtaken by a group of seven men who bring on board several bags and sail the yacht off to a hidden cove on an island. Ardita is drawn to the leader and even considers running off with the daring young man.
Hans
Sep 10, 2009 Hans rated it really liked it
Gabriel Sommer
Oct 24, 2012 Gabriel Sommer rated it really liked it
Fitzgerald's prose leave beautiful echoes in one's mind as a page is turned. Ardita, a spoiled young diva is seen on her uncle's boat. As her vacation continues, the boat is hijacked by a group of pirates. Excited and shocked, Ardita spends more time with the captain of this new crew and falls in love.
Alyssa
Oct 16, 2010 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
I just loved this story by F Scott Fitzgerald. A spoiled rich girl, a whitty pirate, and a tropical island= the best "modernday (in fitzgerald's time) pirate" short story ever. I had to read one story out of a collection of Fitzgeralds short stories for schole and boy am I glad I picked this one!
Ali
Jul 12, 2012 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, short-stories
I mean Fitzgerald just has beautiful language and always intriguing characters, especially the women. Although I was really confused until the end. Then it was all, oh Fitzgerald, you've done it again.
Tiffany Heater
Jun 02, 2013 Tiffany Heater rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Sweet love story, I love Fitzgerald. If only he lived a little longer. I wish today's chick-lit love stories were so beautifully crafted.
Martha
Nov 26, 2008 Martha rated it it was amazing
Another great short story that takes you on a journey so fast but so enjoyable and makes you laugh too.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 27, 2013 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, 2013-reads
The spoiled Ardita Farnam falls in love with a 'pirate' whilst on a trip to Florida with her uncle...
Wendy
Jun 25, 2015 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Say aristocracy one more time. I don't think I heard it the first 8,397,026 times.
Dylia Klatt
Sep 22, 2013 Dylia Klatt rated it it was amazing
What a magical story penned by the absolute master of story. LOVEd this.
Yvonne Smith
Mar 15, 2013 Yvonne Smith rated it it was amazing
A delightful way to spend a little time. The story is very cute.
Megan
Dec 14, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous & a little messed up. Which is why I like it.
Delaney
Dec 04, 2013 Delaney rated it really liked it
Einav G
Jul 23, 2013 Einav G rated it really liked it
a fun story to pass the time, I liked the twist.
Denya
Jun 09, 2011 Denya rated it it was amazing
I love the characters and dialouge.
  • The Million Pound Bank Note (Tale Blazers)
  • Novels, 1881-1886
  • Bodily Secrets
  • The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love
  • The Courtship of Miles Standish
  • The Golden Age
  • Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber & Other Stories
  • Burning Daylight
  • The Tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves: A Story from the Arabian Nights
  • The Child's Story
  • A Place So Foreign and Eight More
  • The Kugelmass Episode
  • Professional Nursing in the Philippines
  • Taking Hollywood
  • The Knitter's Year: 52 Make-In-A-Week Projects - Quick Gifts and Seasonal Knits
  • Mathilda
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...

“why shouldn't he? All life is just a progression toward and then a recession from one phrase-- 'I love you” 291 likes
“slowly she spread her arms and stood there swan-like, radiating a pride in her young perfection that lit a warm glow in Carlyle's heart. "We're going through the black air with our arms wide," she called, "and our feet straight out behind like a dolphin's tail, and we're going to think we'll never hit the silver down there till suddenly it'll be all warm round us and full of little kissing, caressing waves." Then she was in the air, and Carlyle involuntarily held his breath. He had not realized that the dive was nearly forty feet. It seemed an eternity before he heard the swift compact sound as she reached the sea. And it was with his glad sigh of relief when her light watery laughter curled up the side of the cliff and into his anxious ears that he knew he loved her.” 36 likes