Start by marking “The Offshore Pirate” as Want to Read:
The Offshore Pirate
Read Book

The Offshore Pirate

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From time to time there was the bright flare of a match as one of them lighted a cigarette, but except for the low undertone of the throbbing engines and the even wash of the waves about the stern the yacht was quiet as a dream boat star-bound through the heavens. Round them flowed the smell of the night sea, bringing with it an infinite languor.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Offshore Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Offshore Pirate

Amanda
I decided to read this short story not only because Scott is one of my favorite writers but also because some fans of the show "Once Upon a Time" pointed out some similarites between Ardita & Carlyle to Emma & Hook in the show. Being a fan of that paring I totally saw it and it made me love this story even more. I know I'd love this story anyway because I love Scott's "The Great Gatsby" & "Tender is the Night" and this story was just great!!! :D I loved it and now another favorite of ...more
Ben
"The Offshore Pirate" is sublimely entertaining, almost of a Shakespearean quality. I don't know how much I'd like to dig into it except to say that Fitzgerald designs exceptional heroines who seem to throw off social convention with ease for the sake of a weightless, unburdened freedom of spirit and character. The men seem powerless to affect their own fates from the feminine influence.
Corinne
OK, I actually listed to the Classic Tales Podcast reading of this story, but that just wasn't an option on the goodreads list. The language, of course, is beautiful. The racial epithets are enough to strike this story from most school reading lists, I'm sure, and that it what it is. The story itself circles around themes of identity, pride, and escapism.
Olivia
The language in this is gorgeous and the main character, Ardita, made me SO angry but that's what shows you it's a good story: when you get emotionally frazzled by the characters. I was a little disappointed with the ending, I kind of wanted it to end sadly, but no, turns out it was all a joke. That pushed my buttons a bit. But it was cute :)
Lindsay
Entertaining, but pointless. A spoiler-free synopsis: bored obnoxious heiress is on yacht that gets hijacked by friendly pirates. Could have made a good smut novel.
Rebecca Timberlake
I remember glancing at this a few years ago when I took a class on Fitzgerald, but this particular short story wasn't required reading, so I decided not to add more than necessary to my reading list. I'm glad I decided to pick it back up and finish it, though. It was cute and fun, quite a bit different from what I've come to expect from Fitzgerald.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
That was a really unexpected ending. I felt so jealous of Ardita's pride that I wanted to see it broken,deep in my mind.(cruel me.!!) It's a fantastic way to win a girl's heart. Nice plot combined with Fitzgerald's flowery dialogues makes it a perfect romantic treat..
Kathie
Short and clever story of a spoiled rich girl, Ardita who determined to run off with a man the family dislikes. She refuses all her uncle's attempts to introduce her to more acceptable young men. One evening the yacht upon which she is staying is overtaken by a group of seven men who bring on board several bags and sail the yacht off to a hidden cove on an island. Ardita is drawn to the leader and even considers running off with the daring young man.
Hans
Gabriel Sommer
Fitzgerald's prose leave beautiful echoes in one's mind as a page is turned. Ardita, a spoiled young diva is seen on her uncle's boat. As her vacation continues, the boat is hijacked by a group of pirates. Excited and shocked, Ardita spends more time with the captain of this new crew and falls in love.
Alyssa
I just loved this story by F Scott Fitzgerald. A spoiled rich girl, a whitty pirate, and a tropical island= the best "modernday (in fitzgerald's time) pirate" short story ever. I had to read one story out of a collection of Fitzgeralds short stories for schole and boy am I glad I picked this one!
Ali
I mean Fitzgerald just has beautiful language and always intriguing characters, especially the women. Although I was really confused until the end. Then it was all, oh Fitzgerald, you've done it again.
Tiffany Heater
Sweet love story, I love Fitzgerald. If only he lived a little longer. I wish today's chick-lit love stories were so beautifully crafted.
Erin Bagwell
My favorite short story from F Scott, the perfect summer read if you are in the mood for something short and sweet.
Martha
Another great short story that takes you on a journey so fast but so enjoyable and makes you laugh too.
Marts  (Thinker)
The spoiled Ardita Farnam falls in love with a 'pirate' whilst on a trip to Florida with her uncle...
Dylia Klatt
What a magical story penned by the absolute master of story. LOVEd this.
Yvonne Smith
A delightful way to spend a little time. The story is very cute.
Delaney
Einav G
a fun story to pass the time, I liked the twist.
Denya
I love the characters and dialouge.
Sara
Listening on audiobook.
Alexis Roe
Alexis Roe marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • The One Million Pound Bank Note (Tale Blazers)
  • Complete Stories, 1892-1898
  • The Golden Age
  • The Courtship of Miles Standish
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence
  • Popped, Too
  • The Hero
  • Otogizoshi: The Fairy Tale Book of Dazai Osamu
  • The Bridegroom Was a Dog
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned

“why shouldn't he? All life is just a progression toward and then a recession from one phrase-- 'I love you” 278 likes
“slowly she spread her arms and stood there swan-like, radiating a pride in her young perfection that lit a warm glow in Carlyle's heart. "We're going through the black air with our arms wide," she called, "and our feet straight out behind like a dolphin's tail, and we're going to think we'll never hit the silver down there till suddenly it'll be all warm round us and full of little kissing, caressing waves." Then she was in the air, and Carlyle involuntarily held his breath. He had not realized that the dive was nearly forty feet. It seemed an eternity before he heard the swift compact sound as she reached the sea. And it was with his glad sigh of relief when her light watery laughter curled up the side of the cliff and into his anxious ears that he knew he loved her.” 36 likes