Start by marking “The Sands of Mars” as Want to Read:
The Sands of Mars

The Sands of Mars

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  2,326 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
On Mars a dedicated group of pioneers - among them some of Earth's finest brains - struggle to change the face of the planet ...

The Mars of this novel has no fabulous cities or exotic princesses: it is the planet which modern science has revealed to us, and the book's authenticity provides a far greater excitement than would fantasy.

Against this background, Arthur C. Clark

Mass Market Paperback, 207 pages
Published September 1982 by New English Library (first published November 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Sands of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sands of Mars

Anna Lehmicke
Nov 06, 2014 Anna Lehmicke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Arthur C. Clarke novel I've read. I can't compare it to his own later novels, but it is interesting to note the differences between Sci-Fi of the 50s to the genre today. Fax machines on an interstellar spaceship? Hillariously quaint! Turning a moon into a sun? Preposterously convenient! While the character-building was well done, and the few passages that were descriptive of the Mars Clarke was guiding us through were eloquent and picturesque, the book as a whole was fairly sim ...more
Larry
Apr 07, 2010 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clarke fans and those who like an adventure story
Martin Gibson is a science fiction writer and he decides to spend his money on a trip to the red planet which is now becoming colonised. Gibson seems lacking in knowledge of space travel and how things work up there and so Jimmy, a young apprentice, is assigned as Gibson's teacher as it were. The two become friends and soon Gibson is accepted as part of the group (at first he is looked down upon, as just another writer of space adventures). He is invited along on a mission across the planet in a ...more
Anders Blixt
Sep 21, 2016 Anders Blixt rated it really liked it
British-Lankese author Arthur C Clarke was one of the titans of science fiction when I was young in the 1970s, together with Americans Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein. As I see it, Clarke was at his best from the late 1940s to the end of the 1960s, a period during which he for instance wrote the famous short-stories “The Sentinel” and “The Nine Billion Names of God”. Around 1950, he wrote The Sands of Mars, a sand-in-the-spacesuit novel about one man’s exploration of Mars and of himself, a stor ...more
Ramy
Dec 25, 2016 Ramy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بقالى زمن مقريتش رواية خيال علمى و كمان اجنبية مترجمة للعربية
اللى ميعرفش ارثر سى كلارك
الراجل عالم اقمار صناعية هو صاحب نظرية ان 3 اقمار صناعية مدارية متزامنة (بيتحركوا بنفس السرعة و الاتجاه حوالين الارض) تقدر تغطى الارض كلها بالبث بتاعها

له كتاب علمى عن المستقبليات "علوم المستقبل"
ارشحه بقوة للقراء
لقطات من المستقبل - بحث فى حدود الممكن
و لميشتو كاكو كتاب فى نفس الموضوع "المستقبليات"
ارشحه للقراء الا و هو
فيزياء المستحيل

احب الراويات التى يكتبها علماء امثال اسحق عظيموف
ارثر سى كلارك
فولر باكمنستر
كا
Tomislav
I last read this 39 years ago, as a freshman in college. It's hard to believe this 1951 novel was approximately 20 years old then, and approximately 60 years old now. I re-read it now because it was the yahoogroups Hard-SF book of the month for March 2012, and in order to count it in the paperbackswap 2Q2012 SF Challenge as a first novel of a British writer. This could be considered a precursor, set in the same universe, as Clarke's Space Odyssey books.

I'm afraid I remembered next to nothing abo
Vernon
Sep 04, 2010 Vernon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This has been a difficult novel to rate, partly due to it being Clarke's "first full-length novel," but also that I've found it difficult to keep thoughts of the author's later masterpieces (i.e., The City and the Stars; Childhood's Endcertainly two of the greatest works yet produced in the entire realm of Science Fiction) from impinging onto memory as a no doubt unfair comparison.

The Sands of Mars is an example of an author not only stretching his imagination into a novel-length statement for t

Andrea Bampi
Leggere l'Urania n.1 nell'edizione originale è stato piuttosto emozionante. Emozione doppia: perchè si dà il caso che il nr.1 corrisponda anche al primo romanzo di Arthur Clarke, uno degli indiscussi padri fondatori della SF. Pensare che si potesse scrivere Hard SF nel 1951 lascia sempre attoniti, ma d'altronde, lo faceva già Verne molto tempo prima; e c'è tanto dello spirito, dell'amore per la scienza e del "Sense of Wonder" di Verne anche in quest'opera di esordio di Clarke. Ci sono però anche ...more
Derek
Nov 26, 2015 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm having trouble putting this into context. When originally published, what sort of book would sit next to it? Something pulpy and ridiculous? Was this revolutionary in its cold fidelity to hard physics and technological understanding of the time? What would I compare this to?

Given Clarke's stringent adherence and reputation, it's tempting to pick at the things he doesn't get right--cigarettes on spaceships, typewriters, administrator-secretaries on Mars, meteorologists on space stations, news
Abel
Apr 16, 2017 Abel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agradable y de rápida lectura. Menos "científico" que otras obras y más centrado en las relaciones humanas de sus personajes. Su desenlace me ha dejado un poco con gusto a poco, pero es porque pensaba que tendría un giro más brusco, pero he entendido que el autor se centró más en el protagonista que en la historia. Lo que cierra igualmente con saldo positivo
Rita Monticelli
Scroll down for the English version.

Fantascienza hard d’altri tempi

So bene di trovarmi al cospetto di un classico della fantascienza scritto negli anni ’50 del secolo passato, ma sono ovviamente costretta a giudicarlo in base ai miei gusti di lettrice di questi tempi.
Si tratta di uno dei primi esempi di fantascienza hard, cioè che cerca di basarsi sulla scienza reale, ma, essendo un romanzo del 1951, la maggior parte della scienza è sorpassata. Quindi va presa così com’è.
La storia suona fredda e
David Roberts
Jan 06, 2014 David Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the hard science fiction novel The Sands Of Mars by Arthur C Clarke which is a very good book which I bought from kindle. This is one of his early books written in 1951. The plot is an author is on his way to Mars when his ship, he is flying solo, runs into trouble. He is taken aboard a space freighter and completes his journey to Mars. He is stuck on the freighter for a while and the crew mostly leave him alone and he spends alot of his time reading magazines. There is only a sma ...more
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
I wish I could say that I enjoyed this book as much as I did the first in the trilogy, but... I didn't.

For some reason, I struggled to keep my attention on the book for at least the first half. It was mildly interesting, but not enough to keep my focus on it.

I didn't really start, I think, to pay attention to what I was reading, until Squeak and the Airweed got involved.

The problem that I have with Clarke seems to be that he's a wonderful writer for the FIRST book in a series, and that after tha
intrepideddie
Jul 23, 2014 intrepideddie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was probably a good book back when it was published (1951), but it focuses too much on "real" science that is now outdated and/or wrong. Which is funny, because two of the characters in the book have a friendly argument about whether science fiction stories survive the test of time (chapter 5). It starts off as an interesting discussion, but it doesn't go anywhere and is never resolved.

And that's sort of the tone of the entire book: it just meanders and never really goes anywhere. No real p
Krbo
Oct 15, 2014 Krbo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
drago mi je bilo pročitati prvi pravi (pune duljine) Clarkeov roman.
(do tada je objavljivao samo priče)

puno je tu naive (hej - 1951. - opet je sve "atomsko") no odmah se vidi i budući master tzv. hard-core SF podžanra - ne upada ni tada lako u zamke popularnog, maltene magijskog, SF-a (mada ima dijelova koje baš i ne može znanost objasniti - recimo, nije mi baš jasna uloga metana i atomskog pogona no možda sam i ponešto propustio :) )

jedan zanimljiv oblik hrvatskog iz 1957. sa milijardom zareza
Mike Howells
Apr 10, 2016 Mike Howells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's just something about classic 1950s sci-fi that makes you feel excited about the future. Everything is a little over-simplified, from the exobiology to the human psychology, but wouldn't it be great if colonising other planets was this easy?

Films like Interstellar (awful) and The Martian (awesome) try to recapture that optimism, but somehow never quite get it. Maybe I'm showing my age but compared to new sci-fi, some of which is seriously depressing, I'll give Mr Clarke 4-5 stars every t
Ugur
The Sands of Mars, Martin Gibson isimli ünlü bir bilim kurgu yazarının Marsa olan yolculuğunu ve Mars'da yaşadıklarını anlatıyor.

Marsı anlatırken, Mars'ın terraformation veya dünyalaştırılma sürecine tanık oluyor ve Mars'ın aslında kendi kendine yetebilen bir dünya olduğunu fark ediyor.

Kitap Arthur C. Clarke tarafından 1951 yılında yayınlanmış. Kitabı okudum (dinledim), ancak diğer Clarke kitapları kadar etkilendiğimi söyleyemeyeceğim.
Erin
Nov 22, 2016 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quaint novel that plods along at its own pace. I like how Clarke hints and makes references to the future Mars that will come to be. This gives the narrative, which is short and rather contained, a feeling of fullness and scale that I really enjoy.
Pierre Menard
Nov 09, 2015 Pierre Menard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who is looking for outlandish destinations
Fine del XX secolo, da qualche parte tra le orbite di Terra e Marte. Lo scrittore di fantascienza Martin Gibson è il primo e unico passeggero dell’astronave Ares, impegnata nel primo “volo di linea” tra i due pianeti: la colonizzazione del pianeta rosso è ormai avviata, pur tra mille difficoltà, ed è venuto il momento di istituire un collegamento più stabile. Gibson, in qualità di giornalista, deve documentare il suo viaggio e la sua visita su Marte inviando i suoi articoli ai quotidiani terrest ...more
Alison
Feb 18, 2017 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently this is Clarke's first "full length" novel - it's still pretty short but longer than a short story. And I wonder if the lead character is a writer because he fell back on the old adage - write what you know. It might have felt safer when embarking on a longer form for the first time.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I did Foundation. In part that might be because I forgave the book in advance for being written in 1951, and containing all the societal luggage of the era. I think, however,
Joseph Durham
Jan 10, 2017 Joseph Durham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first science fiction book I read as a child. Reread it again with the advent of the Martin book and interest in going to Mars. Certainly some of the ideas are dated by scientific discovery since 1952, but it was worthwhile to read it again. Arthur Clarke was always attempting to reach beyond time in his books.
Yasser
The first published novel of Arthur Clarke.. Martin Gibson ( SciFi author) is travelling to Mars. Yes, Mars... trying to live his heros experience.
Clarke was one of the most scifi writers who was using science in his novels, and maybe that had given him that unique style of writing, especially when he was writing on space, and space related topics.
Gerd
Sep 23, 2009 Gerd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From "The Jane Austen Book Club":
>I thought Northanger Abbey was the final book.<

>Written first. Published last.<

>That makes much more sense. 'Cause it's a novel
about novels.
You know? You see Austen as the young writer,
questioning herself:
"Who's a heroine? What makes a good story?"
"Are novels a waste of time?" "Am I gonna write?"
"What should I write about?"<

Apologies for quoting from „The Jane Austen book club“, but it stroke me as more than fitting to use these musings
Karen Morrissey
Don't expect much drama in this story, that's not the kind of story it is. This is principally a milieu, meaning it's about someone who goes to a strange and wondrous place, has some adventures, and then goes home or decides to stay. It's also a bit of a character story, but the protagonist's change by the end is not great, and Clarke does not let us really get into the character's head.

Clarke wrote this story in the 1940s, and it was based on the best scientific understanding of the time. His p
Yanik Franken
A fun story with some wonderfully advanced ideas as to space travel and interplanetary collonization. While the backstory of the main characters (which are on themselves quite distinct for such a short story) are simple they pose a nice humane element to the otherwise alien enviornment; something that would probably have been quite welcome to the conteporary reader.
While the tme in the spaceship and that on the Mars collony are still relevant today;
technology and mentallity often are still stuc
Hannah
Jul 15, 2012 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Sands of Mars is an adorable short novel by Aruthur C. Clarke. The book chronicles the beginnings of Earth’s expansion into the solar system by following the adventure of an Earth novelist, Martin Gibson, as he travels to the developing colonial world of Mars. Clarke focuses his characters in a setting that is both hostile and awe-inspiring – that of the vast expanse of outer space and the red planet Mars, which has precious little atmosphere for humans to survive in. These two aspects provi ...more
Dave
Arthur C. Clarke’s second novel, “The Sands of Mars”, published in 1951, differs greatly from his first novel. Whereas “Prelude to Space” was focused on the technical details of space travel, Clarke puts much more effort into character development in “The Sand of Mars”. That is not to say that Clarke ignores the technical as much as he did the character development in his first novel. He has some interesting discussions on creating livable conditions on Mars for man, and he floats an idea which ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 11, 2016 Nicholas Whyte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

a Clarke novel that I definitely had not read before - and I thought I had raided the Belfast library system of its entire stock of his works when I was a teenager. Though bound second in my omnibus volume, it was Clarke's first published novel, dating from 1951. It's set a few years after the establishment of a Mars colony; the journalist protagonist (who is also an sf novelist) is being sent as what we'd now call an embedded member of the team, to writ
Steev Thulin-hopper
There are many brilliant things about this, Clarke's first full-length novel. As usual, the man proves to be a master of concise, scientifically-accurate (to the best of his knowledge at the time) storytelling, his characters are vividly drawn, and he conveys the almost- childlike excitement of space exploration that overwhelmed him and forced him to write this stuff.

That said, from a modern perspective, 'The Sands of Mars' has aged amusingly. It's to Clarke's credit that despite this approach
Lianne Burwell
I've read a number of Arthur C Clarke novels, but this one is the earliest of his books and it shows. A Fall of Moondust, which came a few years later is much better.

Basically, a mostly unlikeable sf writer is traveling to Mars as one of the first tourists. He explores, discovers the Martians (not intelligent) that all the scientists said couldn't exist, finds the son he didn't know he had, and gets mixed up in plots.

The story really shows its age. People smoke on spaceships, everything is on sp
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Page Count 2 13 Apr 28, 2016 04:58AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: "The Sands of Mars" by Arthur C. Clarke 1 1 May 13, 2014 08:12AM
Hard SF: BotM: “The Sands of Mars” by Arthur C. Clarke 2 15 Apr 05, 2012 10:55AM
  • The Legion of Space
  • Mars Crossing
  • To Marry Medusa
  • Big Planet
  • The Status Civilization
  • The Shield of Time (Time Patrol, #5)
  • Northwest Smith
  • The Reproductive System
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...

“I said nothing about men adapting themselves to Mars. Have you ever considered the possibility of Mars meeting us half-way?” 1 likes
“Martin’s one of the nicest fellows you could meet, as long as you don’t do it too often.” 1 likes