Start by marking “The Sands of Mars” as Want to Read:
The Sands of Mars
Preview

The Sands of Mars

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  1,440 ratings  ·  71 reviews
The Sands of Mars is an novel set mostly on Mars. Used for research, it's been surveyed but not fully explored.
Famous sf author Martin Gibson is a guest of the ship Ares. From Earth orbit at Space Station 1, he heads to Mars.
Youngest crewman, Jimmy Spencer, in astronaut training, is assigned to answer questions. Becoming friends, Gibson talks about himself, revealing he'
Mass Market Paperback, 207 pages
Published September 1982 by New English Library (first published November 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Sands of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sands of Mars

Larry
Apr 07, 2010 Larry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Clarke fans and those who like an adventure story
Martin Gibson is a science fiction writer and he decides to spend his money on a trip to the red planet which is now becoming colonised. Gibson seems lacking in knowledge of space travel and how things work up there and so Jimmy, a young apprentice, is assigned as Gibson's teacher as it were. The two become friends and soon Gibson is accepted as part of the group (at first he is looked down upon, as just another writer of space adventures). He is invited along on a mission across the planet in a ...more
Anna Lehmicke
This is the first Arthur C. Clarke novel I've read. I can't compare it to his own later novels, but it is interesting to note the differences between Sci-Fi of the 50s to the genre today. Fax machines on an interstellar spaceship? Hillariously quaint! Turning a moon into a sun? Preposterously convenient! While the character-building was well done, and the few passages that were descriptive of the Mars Clarke was guiding us through were eloquent and picturesque, the book as a whole was fairly sim ...more
David Roberts
I am reviewing the hard science fiction novel The Sands Of Mars by Arthur C Clarke which is a very good book which I bought from kindle. This is one of his early books written in 1951. The plot is an author is on his way to Mars when his ship, he is flying solo, runs into trouble. He is taken aboard a space freighter and completes his journey to Mars. He is stuck on the freighter for a while and the crew mostly leave him alone and he spends alot of his time reading magazines. There is only a sma ...more
Vernon
This has been a difficult novel to rate, partly due to it being Clarke's "first full-length novel," but also that I've found it difficult to keep thoughts of the author's later masterpieces (i.e., The City and the Stars; Childhood's Endcertainly two of the greatest works yet produced in the entire realm of Science Fiction) from impinging onto memory as a no doubt unfair comparison.

The Sands of Mars is an example of an author not only stretching his imagination into a novel-length statement for t

Krbo
drago mi je bilo pročitati prvi pravi (pune duljine) Clarkeov roman.
(do tada je objavljivao samo priče)

puno je tu naive (hej - 1951. - opet je sve "atomsko") no odmah se vidi i budući master tzv. hard-core SF podžanra - ne upada ni tada lako u zamke popularnog, maltene magijskog, SF-a (mada ima dijelova koje baš i ne može znanost objasniti - recimo, nije mi baš jasna uloga metana i atomskog pogona no možda sam i ponešto propustio :) )

jedan zanimljiv oblik hrvatskog iz 1957. sa milijardom zareza
Andrea Bampi
Leggere l'Urania n.1 nell'edizione originale è stato piuttosto emozionante. Emozione doppia: perchè si dà il caso che il nr.1 corrisponda anche al primo romanzo di Arthur Clarke, uno degli indiscussi padri fondatori della SF. Pensare che si potesse scrivere Hard SF nel 1951 lascia sempre attoniti, ma d'altronde, lo faceva già Verne molto tempo prima; e c'è tanto dello spirito, dell'amore per la scienza e del "Sense of Wonder" di Verne anche in quest'opera di esordio di Clarke. Ci sono però anche ...more
Eddie
This was probably a good book back when it was published (1951), but it focuses too much on "real" science that is now outdated and/or wrong. Which is funny, because two of the characters in the book have a friendly argument about whether science fiction stories survive the test of time (chapter 5). It starts off as an interesting discussion, but it doesn't go anywhere and is never resolved.

And that's sort of the tone of the entire book: it just meanders and never really goes anywhere. No real p
Ugur
The Sands of Mars, Martin Gibson isimli ünlü bir bilim kurgu yazarının Marsa olan yolculuğunu ve Mars'da yaşadıklarını anlatıyor.

Marsı anlatırken, Mars'ın terraformation veya dünyalaştırılma sürecine tanık oluyor ve Mars'ın aslında kendi kendine yetebilen bir dünya olduğunu fark ediyor.

Kitap Arthur C. Clarke tarafından 1951 yılında yayınlanmış. Kitabı okudum (dinledim), ancak diğer Clarke kitapları kadar etkilendiğimi söyleyemeyeceğim.
Steev Thulin-hopper
There are many brilliant things about this, Clarke's first full-length novel. As usual, the man proves to be a master of concise, scientifically-accurate (to the best of his knowledge at the time) storytelling, his characters are vividly drawn, and he conveys the almost- childlike excitement of space exploration that overwhelmed him and forced him to write this stuff.

That said, from a modern perspective, 'The Sands of Mars' has aged amusingly. It's to Clarke's credit that despite this approach
James
Rocketships, newly colonised worlds, the odd alien or two… it's the standard clichéd stereotype of what Golden Age science fiction was all about. Yet, in the hands of a master, it can still be highly entertaining reading. Clarke was, of course, such a master, even though in this early work he has yet to reach the heights.

The story is is a fine example of hard (i.e., science-based) science fiction - amiable and enjoyable enough, though fairly straightforward, and there is perhaps a heavy emphasis
Matteo Pellegrini

Classico romanzo di "fanta-scienza", per usare un neologismo abbastanza efficace, Le sabbie di Marte descrive il viaggio inaugurale dell'astronave "Ares" - prima nave di linea regolare fra i pianeti - e le lotte di un gruppo di pionieri del XXI secolo per colonizzare le rosse distese desertiche del pianeta Marte. E' una lotta affascinante e paurosa su un mondo in agonia dove non esiste quasi più traccia di vegetazione e l'aria è così povera di ossigeno da essere praticamente irrespirabile. Ma la

Iain Coggins
An early work by Clark that I'd wanted to read for years. I finally got around to it, and I wasn't too impressed. Part of the problem is the dated-ness of the book, so I can't hold Clark accountable in that regard. Story-wise, however, it just wasn't all that exciting. Here is a rather humdrum story about rather humdrum characters in an exotic landscape that could have been investigated by the characters far more than it was. Clark's big surprise is the same one he regurgitates in his awful, lat ...more
Grace
I bought this book at a book fair in Tulsa, OK. I found it endearing and lovely but I would not recommend it to most sci-fi fans today because it's age. Many sci-fi enthusiasts would find it wonderful but newer fans may find it clunky and outdated. The pace and writing quality is a little slow and choppy but it's characters, plot, and ease of reading were enjoyable.
To me this book is about experiencing the wonder in the world. The ideas invented at the time were incredible! I also love to see h
Dave
Arthur C. Clarke’s second novel, “The Sands of Mars”, published in 1951, differs greatly from his first novel. Whereas “Prelude to Space” was focused on the technical details of space travel, Clarke puts much more effort into character development in “The Sand of Mars”. That is not to say that Clarke ignores the technical as much as he did the character development in his first novel. He has some interesting discussions on creating livable conditions on Mars for man, and he floats an idea which ...more
Gerd
From "The Jane Austen Book Club":
>I thought Northanger Abbey was the final book.<

>Written first. Published last.<

>That makes much more sense. 'Cause it's a novel
about novels.
You know? You see Austen as the young writer,
questioning herself:
"Who's a heroine? What makes a good story?"
"Are novels a waste of time?" "Am I gonna write?"
"What should I write about?"<

Apologies for quoting from „The Jane Austen book club“, but it stroke me as more than fitting to use these musings
Ümit
C. Clarke'tan yine Güneş Sistemi içinde geçen realistik bir bilimkurgu, her ne kadar içerdiği Marslılar biraz işi bozsa da.. Yine de bir Mars Yıllıkları değil elbette, zaten o kadar hümanist olmasını beklemiyorum hiçbir BK'nın. Clarke'ın bilime daha dayalı, fanteziye daha az yer veren bu stilini seviyorum.

Bir de içindeki şu güzel pasajı aktarmak gerek, hem güzel olduğu için, hem de Clarke'ın bundan yaklaşık 25 yıl sonra yazdığı "İmparator Dünya"ya nasıl hazırlandığını görmek için:

"...Çok büyüktü
Hannah
The Sands of Mars is an adorable short novel by Aruthur C. Clarke. The book chronicles the beginnings of Earth’s expansion into the solar system by following the adventure of an Earth novelist, Martin Gibson, as he travels to the developing colonial world of Mars. Clarke focuses his characters in a setting that is both hostile and awe-inspiring – that of the vast expanse of outer space and the red planet Mars, which has precious little atmosphere for humans to survive in. These two aspects provi ...more
Tomislav
I last read this 39 years ago, as a freshman in college. It's hard to believe this 1951 novel was approximately 20 years old then, and approximately 60 years old now. I re-read it now because it was the yahoogroups Hard-SF book of the month for March 2012, and in order to count it in the paperbackswap 2Q2012 SF Challenge as a first novel of a British writer. This could be considered a precursor, set in the same universe, as Clarke's Space Odyssey books.

I'm afraid I remembered next to nothing abo
Izabela Kolar Furjan

Arthur C. Clarke CLARKE, ARTHUR C. (BRI) OSTAJEM NA MARSU Sands of Mars Fantastični romani Epoha 1, str. 3-197 1957
A.C. Clarke CLARKE, ARTHUR C. (BRI) "Na Marsu: Tisuće kilometara od baze (odlomak ""Ostajem na Marsu"")" Savremena tehnika 4/57, str. 106 1957,04

----
> http://www.pinterest.com/pin/28147566...

> http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9...

Goodre
Jeff Daly
I listened to the audiobook version read by Vanessa Maroney. The audiobook packaged "The City and the Stars" and "The Sands of Mars" which is on goodreads here but I wanted to review the 2 books separately.

The Sands of Mars was okay. I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read so many other fantastic books. I just mean that it seemed slow paced. In the introduction before the story, Clarke said the term "terraforming" was invented by science fiction's Grandest of Grand Masters, Jack Williamson
Otávio Augusto
somewhat barren, regarding human emotiions. It sin't a book about that, though; it is about us in a grander scale, our relationship to the universe and to knowledge. It also is a beautiful homage to science and scientific progress.

If you like si-fi, this is a must read.
Joe Schonbok
classic Mars colonization story

I continue to enjoy these Clarke classics and am amazed I didn't find them when I was a kid. Some of the technical details are dated, but the overall story is great - and classic. How many other Mars novels have the same basic foundation? Most that I know of. Anyway, good clean fun for the whole family.
Otis Campbell
Here we go marching to Mars
On a rainbow bridge
It doesn't seem so far
Steppin' into our universe
Moving towards life
To solve the problems on Earth
Everybody's marching to Mars
Tapani Aulu
Yksi lapsuuden suosikeista on kestänyt aikaa hyvin, vaikka nyt lukiessa tajusinkin että käännös ei omilla standardeilani ollutkaan parasta laatua. Useammassa paikassa "kuului" englanninkielinen termi tai lause taustalla korvaanpistävästi.
Voss
Tutto scorre troppo semplicemente.
Non c'è tensione.
Ma magari è proprio quello che si proponeva l'autore :)
Bello da leggere, offre qualche spunto di riflessione.
Amanda
I loved this book. I recently returned to reading classic sci-fi and somehow forgot how great the genre is to read. I will be stalking the shelves at thrift stores looking for more Arthur C. Clarke books.
J.L. Rallios
I'm not big into Sci-Fi. Actually, apart from C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (which I love), it is the only science fiction book I've ever read. It has some interesting points, very well thought out in technical aspects (even though the technology is outdated), good writing and insight into human nature (strongest point), and has a fairly interesting plot, what there was of it.
Cheryl
This is the granddaddy of all science-based Mars sf, and it's still a reasonably fun read. Any theme that a later author has taken up was already in Clarke's book. First bar on Mars? Check. Colorful cast of international characters in spaceship? Check. Earth vs. Mars colonial politics? Check. Domes? Check. Dust storms? Check. Terraforming? Check. Stranded vehicle adventure? Check. Orbits of Phobos and Deimos used in plot? Check. Martians? Check. Of course the science is way, way off--practically ...more
Tharindra Kaluthotaarachchi
you can never get tired of Sir Arthur's style of writing no matter how crude or simple it may seem to some.. specially his hints (at the end of a chapter) in to the future how the outcome of an event will be. This is good golden age sci fi.
Diego
Martin Gibson decide viajar a Marte mientras este planeta esta en proceso de colonización, al llegar y sin tener muchos conocimientos sobre el funcionamiento de la tecnología espacial, de la vida en las colonias en Marte y de la geografía del planeta. Se embarca en una misión para aprender sobre los misterios del planeta.

Martin pronto descubre que las colonias humanas en el planeta ocultan algo no de sus habitantes sino de la Tierra, un plan que cambiara por siempre al planeta rojo.

Un gran lib
Hard SF: BotM: “The Sands of Mars” by Arthur C. Clarke 2 13 Apr 05, 2012 10:55AM
  • The Currents of Space (Galactic Empire, #2)
  • The Legion of Space
  • What Mad Universe
  • Sinister Barrier
  • Destination: Universe!
  • Iceworld
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Beyond This Horizon
  • Voyage (NASA Trilogy, #1)
  • The Status Civilization
  • Time and Again
  • Contact Imminent (Jani Kilian Chronicles, Book 4)
  • Mars Crossing
  • Berserker Kill (Berserker, #9)
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise