Start by marking “Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate” as Want to Read:
Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate

Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate

Naomi Klein's No Logo is an international bestselling phenomenon. Winner of Le Prix Mediations (France), and of the National Business Book Award (Canada) it has been translated into 21 languages and published in 25 countries.

Named one of Ms Magazine's Women of Year in 2001, and declared by the Times (London) to be "probably the most influential person under the age of 35 i
Published October 4th 2002 by Picador (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fences and Windows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fences and Windows

Malcolm
Klein, along with Arudhati Roy, is one of the star commentators on current activist politics – and paradoxically a sort of celebrity activist. Readers should not approach this collection of reports, commentaries and journalism looking for the sort of thesis-driven analysis of current trends seen in either No Logo or The Shock Doctrine, but should expect to (and do) find inspiring tales of struggle and resistance, and developing alternatives to the current anti-democratic, exploitative, reactiona ...more
Erin
Jul 25, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
while this is a good collection of klein's articles and there are a few standout pieces - chiapas, the social centers of italy - overall i'd rather read her focused non-fiction than this. shock doctrine and no logo blow this one out of the water.
Miriam
Jul 10, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eco-cool
Tocaba review, como lo leí en español pues review en español (excuse mis faltas)

Es el primer libro que leo de Naomi Klein y me ha dejado con buen sabor de boca.
No era el que estaba buscando pero es lo tipíco que vas a la biblioteca y sólo ves uno del autor y dices bueno va pues tu.
Por el título me pensé que el libro sería algo más teórico, quizás más de ella dando su opinión y explicando porque la globalización como la conocemos hoy no ayuda al desarrollo.
Cuál fue mi sorpresa al ver que el
Clivemichael
Both Inspiring/enlightening and discouraging. Much has remained the same or has gotten worse. Great writing; well deserved praise for her reports and observations, she nails it frequently:
"....when Wally Olins, co-founder of... brand consultancy, was asked for his take on America’s image problem, he complained that people don’t have a single clear idea about what the country stands for but rather have dozens if not hundreds of ideas that ”are mixed up in people’s heads in a most extraordinary wa
ViRuS_X
Jul 28, 2016 ViRuS_X rated it liked it
Es el segundo libro que leo de Naomi Klein, más que un diario de lucha como lo fue No Logo realmente se trata de una recopilacion de articulos escritos de forma individual, personalmente me hubiera gustado que continuara con el estilo narrativo de No Logo, sin embargo tiene muy buenos articulos personalmente el que mas me impacto fue el de "Calculo Brutal del Sufrimiento".
Harvey
Aug 06, 2015 Harvey rated it really liked it
- well-written and intelligent (Klein is brilliant, with ideas as revolutionary as Marshall McLuhan's - who was also a Canadian, by the way).
- not rated as highly as her 'No Logo', which was ground-breaking, and the best thing I have ever read on the subject of Corporate Branding...unfortunately 'Fences And Windows:...', although an interesting collection of Klein's essays, speeches, and newspaper-columns - doesn't really introduce any new arguments.
- She does add evidence, and reformulates her
Kenneth
Jul 31, 2015 Kenneth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Христо Блажев
“Огради и прозорци” на Нейоми Клайн разказва за битката срещу новия световен ред

Нейоми Клайн е една от лидерите на световното алтерглобалистично движение. Да, това са онези от телевизионните кадри, които се събират на срещите на МФВ, Световната банка и други людоеди, и които полицията бие, обгазява и арестува с нестихваща страст.
“Огради и прозорци” разказва за появата и развитието на това движение – от прочутите сблъсъци в Сиатъл (има хубав филм за тях),
Marc
I liked her earlier book, "No Logo" but this one seemed to drag a bit. It was also a bit repetitive in places, I guess because these were actually written as op-ed or other pieces that she collected together for the book. It is still quite relevant given the silly season going on in the US at this time. Sadly folks in the US would not likely read this and most wouldn't get it if they did. Otherwise how do you explain Trump.

P.S. I have been away from my Goodreads desk for several months. My revi
Carla Carnevale
Aug 23, 2016 Carla Carnevale rated it really liked it
She is brilliant and thought provoking. I like all her work
Janne Paananen
Hajanainen esitys tämä Naomi Kleinin lehtikirjoituksia ja puheita sisältävä teos. Menen hieman väärässä järjestyksessä. En nimittäin ole lukenut hänen No Logo kirjaansa ja sen lukeminen, ehkä avaisi paremmin tätä Vastarintaa ja vaihtoehtoja tekstikokoelmaa. Hajanaisuus on nimittäin häiritsevän suuressa roolissa. Välillä lehtijutut ovat oivallisia ja niistä oikein haistaa toiminnan keskipisteessä olemisen ja välillä taas jauhetaan ja toistetaan jo aiemmin sanottuja ajatuksia. Täytynee seuraavaksi ...more
Dawn
Jun 14, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it
It's an eye opening book about where and how our food comes from, how capitalism affects the poorer classes on a global scale so that most of us can live more comfortably--or rather how big corporations exploit the poor and undeveloped to increase profits. It's not as good as "No Logo" or "Shock Doctrine," but it still gets you thinking about how to help change the global economy before the entire planet is destroyed.
Drew Pyke
Jan 17, 2013 Drew Pyke rated it liked it
This was put together after No Logo but chronicles events over a wide period of time, such as the nascent WTO protests in 1999 Seattle. There is so much subject matter in this book from Zapatistas, Commons, IMF and The World Social Forum. Looking back it would read a book of its time but well worth a read if interested in the anti capitalist movement of the 90s and early 00s. Comparable with Arundhati Roy and Noam Chomsky.
Maria Beltrami
Una serie di articoli scritti dalla Klein nell'arco di alcuni anni a partire da seattle, e dell'inizio del movimento antiglobalizzazione, per passare da Porto Alegre, senza dimenticare Genova e le torri gemelle.
Un bignami su cosa è il movimento, dove va, che cosa vuole, perché lo vuole, e, soprattutto, sul perché è nel nostro interesse essere d'accordo con il movimento e non con la Banca Mondiale e l'FMI.
Minku
Mar 28, 2008 Minku rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people
I used to have a used copy of this book. I liked it. Naomi Klein is a pretty kick-ass writer and researcher. This book is a good overview of various perspectives on neoliberal capitalism, and why it's important for you to pay attention and take sides (hopefully with the anti-capitalist direct-democracy types of people, rather than the anti-democratic corporate types or the anti-human religioso-fundies).
Natassia
Mar 23, 2016 Natassia rated it it was amazing
This amazing collection of articles discusses the movement against corporate globalization and for self-determination and local democracy. Really moving and just left me wanting more - updates on all these local and international fights.
Oritje
Aug 27, 2007 Oritje rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Don Ropes student!
Yes...yes....I am reading her book again. This time it was volunteering. As a former Mass Communication student, Globalisation watcher, and a CURRENT World Bank loan beneficiary agent......I MUST read this book to keep my feet on the ground and my eye on the reality.

Besides, it is easier to watch the predator's moves from its own nest
Alex
Jul 18, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok
While I largely share Klein's worldview (and have in fact taught her), she is never one to let things like strict factual accuracy get in the way of points made. This is not to say that Klein is not an intelligent or engaging writer, it is more that one needs to take much of what she needs to say with a grain of salt.
Tanvir Muntasim
Aug 08, 2011 Tanvir Muntasim rated it it was amazing
Amazing collection of true stories of people's resistence all around the world. A lot of writers would criticise how the world is, but would fall short of citing positive examples of how the world can be changed for the better...but not Naomi. She cites examples to live by and draw inspiration from.
Imraan
Mar 14, 2009 Imraan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
An extremely provocative and insightful view of the hidden world politics and policies that secretly ravage the well-being of the world's poorest of the poor nations, and how the wealthy nations thrive off of this imbalance.
Taija O
Jan 23, 2010 Taija O rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, 2010
This book gave for me, an industrial engineering student, new perspectives to politics and economy. Economy is not simple, especially global economy. I feel a bit contradictory, but that's just good. I have a lot to think.
Lindsay Wilson
This book was pretty okay, but I'm not going to lie, I didn't read the whole thing. It turns out books about current events become a lot less interesting when the events aren't current anymore.
D'Arcy
Nov 10, 2007 D'Arcy rated it it was amazing
I read this all last night and this morning. I have lots and lots to say about it, thus I will be writing about it on my blog later on today!
Carole
May 11, 2012 Carole rated it really liked it
Speeches, articles, presented from 2001 and 2002 on int'l events and gatherings by alternative efforts to bring local democracy to all.
Matteo
Nov 28, 2008 Matteo rated it really liked it
Naomi Klein's writing is clear, direct and incisive. A collection of essays about corporate power and popular resistance.
MacDara Conroy
Jul 06, 2010 MacDara Conroy rated it liked it
Bad typography makes this collection of articles and essays on globalisation much harder to read than it should be.
Dan
Jul 25, 2011 Dan rated it liked it
inspiring and recommended to those who need some good news for a change.
Mr
Jan 30, 2014 Mr rated it liked it
more writings on the evils of corporations and globalization. good stuff
Estelle
Nov 03, 2008 Estelle rated it really liked it
Going back in time a bit, and probably a bit more honest than her later books
Todd
Sep 14, 2012 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a great book to introducing anyone into the world of globalization.
  • Hidden Agendas
  • The Global Activists' Manual: Acting Locally to Transform the World
  • Culture Jam: How To Reverse America's Suicidal Consumer Binge - And Why We Must
  • The Unconscious Civilization
  • Whiteout: The CIA,Drugs and the Press
  • The Media Monopoly
  • The Silent Takeover: Global Capitalism and the Death of Democracy
  • Affluenza: When Too Much is Never Enough
Naomi Klein is a Canadian journalist, author and activist well known for her political analyses of corporate globalization.

The Shock Doctrine has been translated into more than 20 languages. It was a hardback bestseller in Canada, the United States, Germany, Italy, Spain and Sweden, nominated for multiple awards including the Los Angeles Times Book Award and the New York Public Library Bernstein A
More about Naomi Klein...

“Democracy isn't the work of the market's invisible hand; it is the work of real hands.” 0 likes