Start by marking “Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn” as Want to Read:
Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn

Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn (Green Lantern)

The origin of Hal Jordan, Green Lantern, as retold for the 1990's audience, from the original 1989/90 six-issue series.
Published September 1st 1991 by DC Comics (first published May 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lantern

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
291st out of 825 books — 1,576 voters
Green Lantern by Geoff JohnsGreen Lantern by Geoff JohnsBlackest Night by Geoff JohnsGreen Lantern, Volume 1 by Geoff JohnsGreen Lantern, Volume 6 by Geoff Johns
Best of Green Lantern
18th out of 59 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Victor Orozco
Oct 30, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it
Very good.

DC Comics rebooting of various characters after the Crisis of Infinite Earth's continues with Green Lantern's Hal Jordan.

Basically the Green Lantern Corps begins with Hal Jordan back to the time when he first encountered fear... yet at the same time had the ability to overcome it.

The new Hal Jordan is a bit reckless and irresponsible, I can see why there is some criticism here. People want comic-book characters to be flawed but in this case the flaws are too much.

The premise of the sto
Brittany Wisneski
Jul 09, 2016 Brittany Wisneski rated it liked it
Same old origin story. If you've already read one, you're safe to skip this one.
Hannah Givens
Jan 12, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
By dumb luck, my randomly-selected Green Lantern comic was the first of an era! Perfect to start with, and there's a lot to like -- I especially liked the sci-fi aspect and the concept of earning one's superpowers.
Jun 17, 2016 Ithlilian rated it it was ok
It's spring cleaning for my comics, I've been reading all of the old ones I have around the house that I never had a chance to read before. I'm surprised this contained the origin story yet again, I'm definitely sick of reading the same thing over and over. Hal Jordan is a bit of a jerk, not really likable, and I'm not impressed. Emerald Dawn actually reminds me a bit of the Green Lantern movie. We meet the corps, joke around a bit, do some training, Guardians are messing up, same ole Green Lant ...more
May 14, 2011 Mehtul rated it really liked it
Classic comic! It felt a little rushed but that's how old school comics were written. I am a new Green Lantern fan! Thanks, Ethan.
Jun 06, 2016 Riley rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
I decided to start reading DC comics and to start with Green Lantern / Mostly Hal Jordan. Honestly I really enjoyed this book. It's kind of a quick explanation of how Hal Jordan became Green Lantern. Lots of humor. A lot of people don't like how many flaws Hal has in this book but he's supposed to be kind of a dirtbag so...

photo relatablehands_zpsz52yhrg5.png"

I've never been a Hal Jordan fan ( I find his character tremendously dull) and this series hasn't convinced me otherwise. It's perfectly fine (although my copy has some bad reproduced artwork on cheap paper), but never rises above average for me.
Sep 02, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it
A late 80s version of Green Lantern's origin story. Well done. While there is pretty much no humor to the story it is not deadly serious either, just a more dramatic take on a superhero's beginnings and I think it works very well.
Sep 28, 2014 Swati rated it it was ok
This was such a bad book. The story arc was terrible. Hal Jordan is really not the best Green Lantern anyway, and this book didn't add anything positive to his reputation. Bad pacing, no depth, and no real story.
Feb 18, 2016 Kevin rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, green-lantern
This probably deserves more of 2.5 star, but I didn't enjoy it that much. The whole thing seems to be about taking responsibility; however Hal doesn't really seem to understand that. Legion was an okay enemy, but I don't think it was worth having to kill it three times. A;so, I personally dislike the idea of Hal as a drunk driver. I realize it is potentially in his character, but it didn't sit right with me that this iconic hero should be portrayed that way. Geoff Johns' Secret Origin was far be ...more
Feb 21, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2010 Madeleine rated it liked it
Shelves: own, graphic-novel
There's like twenty Hal Jordan origins out there now, and Emerald Dawn choices to go with the Luke Skywalker + Maverick approach to Jordan's origin. I liked this, but man is Hal Jordan whiny and when he's not whiny he doesn't give a shit that the pattern is full.
But it's good. The art is meh to me. Pretty "standard" comic book art.
Anyway, it's good enough that I want to read the second book in the series: Green Lantern: Legion Strikes Back on the Highway to the Danger Zone.
David Williams
Mar 07, 2013 David Williams rated it liked it
This book's not too bad. It's main flaw is that this arc needed to be stretched across a couple more issues, so the narrative is a little jerky. However, this is a decent origin story with a fair amount of nodules from which other arcs could sprout. The art is pretty good, too.
Keenan Lee
Jan 06, 2013 Keenan Lee rated it really liked it
a solid introduction to Green Lantern and its universe, and a decent book to boot. its admittedly not the best comic I've ever read but for anyone looking for a solid place to start into the Green Lantern universe this is about as good as it gets.
Feather Mista
Sep 27, 2013 Feather Mista rated it liked it
Creo que lo leí en revistitas sueltas de Zinco, aunque no estoy tan seguro de haberlo leído íntegro, así que debería procurar releerlo (o leerlo) y rerreseñarlo cuando pueda (y chequear si se compiló en un taco de Zinco).
Roy Setyaeka
Feb 21, 2008 Roy Setyaeka rated it liked it
The great adventure from the most powerful GL was started from this story book. Hopefully someday, someone will re-draw this comic book with the recent illustration technology
Oct 29, 2008 Dufour rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I know this is the "definitive" origin of GL, but man what a shitty story. Ultimately forgettable, terrible artwork. Glad Geoff Johns is redoing it in the current GL title.
Anne Barwell
Aug 25, 2010 Anne Barwell rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this. It's a good telling of the beginning of Hal Jorden as Green Lantern and the big learning curve he had, and not just in joining the Lantern Corps.
John Yelverton
Jul 29, 2012 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
A decent retelling of the origin of Green Lantern, but it's all but been left in the dust with today's Green Lantern stories.
Prava Couture
Aug 22, 2013 Prava Couture rated it it was amazing
Amzing, a bit hokey bcuz of the time period it was written in. but still a pretty fun read.
Rucker Manley
Dec 26, 2012 Rucker Manley rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, 2012
Slow start, but increasingly entertaining with each issue.
Sep 15, 2013 Phil rated it liked it
Interesting but the second vol was much better
Bruce rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Jeff Grant
Jeff Grant marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Tim Starnes
Tim Starnes rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Piotr Kowal
Piotr Kowal marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Akinyinka marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Guibbs rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
  • Green Lantern, Volume 2: Revenge of the Green Lanterns
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 3: Ring Quest
  • Green Lantern, Volume 3: Brother's Keeper
  • Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight/New Dawn
  • The Complete Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection
  • The Final Night
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 2: The Dark Side of Green
Keith Ian Giffen is an American comic book illustrator and writer. He is possibly best-known for his long runs illustrating, and later writing the Legion of Super-Heroes title in the 1980s and 1990s. He also created the alien mercenary character Lobo (with Roger Slifer), and the irreverent "want-to-be" hero, Ambush Bug. Giffen is known for having an unorthodox writing style, often using characters ...more
More about Keith Giffen...

Green Lantern (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • The Golden Age Green Lantern Archives, Vol. 1