Start by marking “The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook: Healthy Cooking & Good Living with Pasture Raised Foods” as Want to Read:

In the emerald-green fields of America'¬?s finest pasture-based farms, cattle, pigs, bison, goats, sheep, and poultry roam free, eating what nature intended them to eat. In THE GRASSFED GOURMET COOKBOOK, Cornell professor of sustainable agriculture and community development Shannon Hayes presents 125 recipes spotlighting the unique flavors and distinct characteristics of f ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Eating Fresh Publications (first published January 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook

Kristen Case
Jun 21, 2008 Kristen Case rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friends
This is my friend Shannon's book. After reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, we started buying all our meat from her family, which runs a beautiful farm a few miles away. The book is great. Lots of simple and delicious things to do with meat of all kinds. I can even deal with big, scary, roasty things now like "bottom round." Shannon's website is www.shannonhayes.info. Come visit us and we'll take you to the farm.

Tamara
Jul 24, 2014 Tamara rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is a must for the eco-conscious cook; Shannon offers you not only some winning recipes but the knowledge to branch off and create your own memorable meals with delicious grassfed meats. She explains in depth the environmental and health benefits of pastured meats in general, then offers specifics about how to evaluate each farmer's operations to determine if the animals are healthy and indeed being raised in a sustainable manner. In an age where we are bombarded by buzz phrases lik ...more
Jen
Jul 26, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I love this book! So helpful. It touches on some of reasons for going grassfed, and gives a detailed discussion of how to cook the meats. And yes, it's a cookbook and there are recipes. I just picked up a pork shoulder roast and will be trying it soon. I have always heard from the growers that grassfed meats need to be cooked differently, and it's really nice to have a guide for just that.
Connie
Feb 25, 2013 Connie rated it it was amazing
Shannon is the authority on grassfed and game!! It is a shame that our modern commercial meat has to be so overcooked just to be rid of possible of bacterial infestation. If it is grass fed fresh and local it doesn't need to be well-done, in order to be WELL DONE! Thank you Shannon for re-invigorating my palate! Fabulous recipes (even for the conventional market)
Katherine
Jun 12, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is so useful. Nate and I have started buying grassfed beef and lamb and thisbbook has saved us from wrecking it. Who knew cooking meat was so easy?
Laura Salisbury
Great recipes!
Lisa
Jul 28, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Deliciovores
Recommended to Lisa by: Christy Cox, Truth Hill Farm
Shelves: food
I haven't met a recipe in this book I didn't like. Thumbs up!
Finbar
Finbar rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2007
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2009
Sheril
Sheril rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Jennifer Lange
Jennifer Lange rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
bruin
bruin rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2009
Sara Petsch
Sara Petsch rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2007
Miriam
Miriam rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2009
Gwen
Gwen rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2014
Berenice Knight
Berenice Knight rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Anne Harris
Anne Harris rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Amber Hemingway
Amber Hemingway rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2008
Julie Maurer
Julie Maurer rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
Pennalynn
Pennalynn rated it liked it
May 10, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Yaron
Yaron rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2009
Daryl Conner
Daryl Conner rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Aimee
Aimee rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Mary Thieme
Mary Thieme rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014