Start by marking “ Group: Six People in Search of a Life” as Want to Read:
 Group: Six People in Search of a Life

Group: Six People in Search of a Life

Written by a former editor at "The Village Voice, " this riveting, compulsively readable account tells of six patients engaged in group therapy and their efforts to transform their lives.
Published August 1st 2000 by Berkley Trade (first published August 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Group, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Group

Laura Hancock
Aug 23, 2011 Laura Hancock rated it really liked it
In the introduction, the author warns the reader to only expect entertainment from the book, not self-help. Of course, I didn't heed his advice and I immediately identified with one character, who never really worked through her problems. By the end of the book, I was disappointed and resentful at the characters who had made successful transformations as a result of group therapy.
The book is about six flesh-and-blood people in New York City who meet over the course of a year in group therapy and
Susan
Jul 26, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Though this isn't a self-help book, I did take away a tidbit of help. In the book, the psychiatrist running the group sessions talks about an idea called "serious fun". In essence, it's the idea that what you do in life, either as your career or as a hobby, you should consider "serious fun". You may not make any money off of it, but you should feel fulfilled by doing it. For the people in this group who weren't sure what "serious fun" entailed, he suggested looking towards your childhood for clu ...more
Alkatraz
May 15, 2014 Alkatraz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Group: Six People in Search of Life 4 Stars

I happened on this gem in a used bookshop and thought, 'why not?' The author was given a special access to follow the group sessions of one particular handful of people in New York. They are taught how to use talk therapy and supervised sessions to self treat. Honestly, I read this as a way to get ahead of the curve if my therapist ever wants to go the group therapy route.

I was a bit miffed to be honest. That and pleased that my therapist isn't a jerk l
Karen
Aug 24, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely good. It really took you into these people's lives. I felt like I was sitting there with them in group discussing their problems. I wanted to know how things would turn out with each of the characters and really hoped for the best for all of them. It makes you think of any problems you may have in your life and how to deal with them if they are unresolved. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Scottk
May 18, 2007 Scottk rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mental health professionals
I read this book when I was relatively green to the principles of group process. It provided a nice introduction. This was the take away for me: when a safe climate is established the self-disclosure of one will inspire the group to match his/her courage.
Billy
Jun 03, 2014 Billy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reading
not what i was expecting. way too self-helpy. i thought it was going to be about Solotaroff's experiences in therapy. pretty disappointed with this one/
Julia
Aug 01, 2007 Julia added it
Even a good read for people who aren't that interested in group therapy dynamics...a good story.
Ed
Sep 20, 2011 Ed rated it it was amazing
I love books about therapy and this one is almost as good as the fifty-minute hour!
Carole
May 17, 2009 Carole rated it liked it
At times dated, it was, as my sister said, a bit like being a fly on the wall.
Michelle
Feb 15, 2009 Colleen rated it liked it
Compelling, well-written, helpful.
Kate D
Mar 19, 2007 Kate D marked it as to-read
Isaac's brother... I hear it's good .
Anne Kadet
Aug 27, 2012 Anne Kadet rated it liked it
Fun like good reality tv fun
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
ShelBetty
ShelBetty rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Margaret Roy
Margaret Roy rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Christine Graham
Christine Graham rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Fahad Alharbi
Fahad Alharbi marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Brad B
Brad B rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Amy Cox
Amy Cox rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Robyn
Robyn added it
Feb 20, 2016
Wade
Wade added it
Feb 20, 2016
Phil Lawroski
Phil Lawroski marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
206926
Paul Solotaroff is a contributing editor at Men's Journal and Rolling Stone. He has written features for Vanity Fair, GQ, Vogue, and the New York Times Magazine, and he was nominated for a National Magazine Award in 2004. His work has been included in Best American Sports Writing. The author of two books, Group and The House of Purple Hearts, he lives in New York City.

"Like" The Body Shop on Faceb
More about Paul Solotaroff...