Start by marking “A Handbook to Literature (Handbook to Literature)” as Want to Read:
A Handbook to Literature (Handbook to Literature)

A Handbook to Literature (Handbook to Literature)

The definitive, contemporary reference on literature and literary criticism in English, this handbook provides an alphabetical listing of more than 2,000 important terms and facts in literature, linguistics, rhetoric, criticism, printing, bookselling, and information technology. Covers a wide range of terms, most centered in literature, but extending into other areas, su

Paperback, 10th Edition, 704 pages
Published July 23rd 2005 by Prentice Hall (first published 1936)

Mike Puma
Aug 29, 2010 Mike Puma rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lit majors & lit crit readers
Shelves: lit-crit
One to be refered to over and over. It includes more entries than Abrams' A Glossary of Terms, but Abrams' book has longer, and in some ways better, coverage of each entry. I usually go to this volume first, then follow up with Abrams when I want to know more.
sologdin
Jun 11, 2011 sologdin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traditional guide through literary & rhetorical terminology. Basically indispensible for literary students. Does not contain much in the way of theory or criticism--that's for other items, such as the Columbia Dictionary of Modern Literary & Cultural Criticism.
Susan
Jul 19, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST-HAVE for any English student, teacher, or professor.
Nonny Kupang
very good book...
Jszh
May 22, 2013 Jszh rated it liked it
It is a handy book that can be read for pleasure. However, the publisher really doesn't need to update it every 3 years to force poor students to buy the new editions. In this 10th edition the editor admitted there was little substantial he could add. In fact, he mentioned his children suggested three new entries - "manga", "coffee table book" and "jumping the shark"- strangely, "jumping the shark" was not even actually added as the other two...Greedy publishers :-(, lousy work. Luck that I have ...more
Kerry Kenney
Jun 25, 2008 Kerry Kenney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This formed the central core of my liberal arts/educated by the Jesuit educated education.

get that?

This book was my mainstay as a student and English literature major. I have four different editions starting with my father's from his student days in the early 60's at the University of Scranton.
Quinn
Jan 10, 2011 Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in literary theory
While this book is not the sort of book you read cover to cover, for someone who had any kind of formal literary education, it's a godsend.
It's most useful to me reading books about books - Harold Bloom comes to mind - when I come upon a term I don't entirely understand. I love it. It's given a better understanding of a lot of my favorite books and authors.
Nancy S
Jan 18, 2013 Nancy S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-have for literary folks. This is a Very useful tool for literary terms etc., deep and comprehensive entries. I studied with him at UNC Chapel Hill. He literally wrote the book on it with William Harmon, awesome poet also at UNC.
Valerie
Nov 28, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic-life
I put this on my Academic Life shelf, but this is such an essential read for anyone who loves literature. I'm so geeky that I used to sit down and read the articles in the Holman Handbook for the sheer joy of reading it. I love this book.
David
Feb 06, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the books I was smart enough to keep from college. It's a great resource for literary terminology and definitions.
Scott
Feb 23, 2008 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Puzzled by parataxis? Stymied by the sublime? Unsure of your unreliable narrator? Look no further than this exhaustive literary resource.
Nurul Hilwany
James
Feb 11, 2008 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-crit
Handy dictionary of literary movements and terms. Useful if you feel like toting it around.
Riley Drake
Riley Drake rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2011
Christine Rivera
Christine Rivera rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Tyler Holley
Tyler Holley rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Ian Bennett
Ian Bennett rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Ginger Lee
Ginger Lee rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Isabel
Isabel rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Chelsea Nazarian
Chelsea Nazarian rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2014
Nada
Nada rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2008
Kate Mcpherson
Jul 26, 2011 Kate Mcpherson rated it it was amazing
GREATEST BOOK EVER.
Lysa
Lysa rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Reese
Reese rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2009
Travis
Travis rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2009
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
  • The Norton Anthology of World Literature, Volume F: The Twentieth Century
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. E: The Victorian Age
  • The Book of Great Books: A Guide to 100 World Classics
  • A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Benét's Reader's Encyclopedia
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • Anatomy of Criticism
  • The Post-Colonial Studies Reader
  • The Heath Anthology of American Literature Volume B: Early Nineteenth Century: 1800-1865

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »